Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Only just got this yesterday--what a game but it seems absolutely huge in the amount of hours needed to complete.
    Ive just finished the Hyrule plains and got the 4 shrines complete--any tips for a newbie to the game or even Zelda in general.
    I cant find any decent weapons and am relying on those clubs that one of the monsters drop to use in fights. The treveller sword broke after I tried to fight one of those machine guardians so Im fecked without a decent weapon!!!

Others have provided some decent advice already so I'll just add some more (I'll stick to early-game).

Use bombs on enemies. They're reasonably effective on orange and blue bokoblins - the damage isn't high but they get knocked over.

Old man has sent you to Kakiriko. Check out the clothes shop in Kakiriko. You might want to buy some armour, depending on your play-style.

You can sell your useless crap in shops. Don't sell food but sell the monster parts and gems (although maybe hang on to the diamonds, rubies and saphires). You'll always have more than enough monster parts. Maybe hang on to Guardian bits such as screws, gears etc.

Since you have few hearts, cook up some apples individually. If you leave them by a fire, they'll roast and they'll give you a significant recovery.

Collect all the fruit, meat and creatures that you can. You can learn online what kinds of food to mix to get the desired effect from a meal. Foods with the word "hearty" in them such as hearty radishes will give you extra hearts if you add them to meals.

Stamina is important. You'll have to choose between hearts and stamina so once you have 6 hearts or so, start improving stamina. This will be important for climbing and flying.

In terms of getting better weapons, the easiest place to get them in the beginning is from chests. These are often difficult to see but if you activate stasis or magnesis, they should be easier to find. You'll find them in the ground and in the water. Chests don't respawn when you take their contents. The shrines also have chests.

If you can sneak up on enemy camps, the monsters often aren't carrying their weapons. They might be sleeping, for example. You can often sneak up to them and just take their stuff and run away.

There are areas on the map where cool weapons are just lying around. If you find one that you like, mark its location on the map after you take it because it will come back a few real-world hours later. There's a thread here with some locations but it contains spoilers and you won't know the locations until you activate more towers and expose the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Five hearty durians cooked together and five mighty bananas cooked together are nice ways to power yourself up a bit in the early stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I think I went to Kakariko Village chatted to whoever needed to be chatted there and then just headed out to try and unlock all the towers I could and basically did every shrine I found (the Duelling Peaks tower on the way to Kakariko is worth a visit).
    During that long ramble around the map I built up my hearts and stamina before I even attempted the first divine beast, I also ran away from a lot of large enemies.
    Talk to everyone, gain side quests that you can chase after later.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I could be wrong in this but it seemed to me that for every Divine Beast dungeon I completed, all enemies in the world went up one level (I think it's why they guide you to Vah Ruta first so that first
    Lynel
    doesn't obliterate you) so no rush on doing the dungeons. Enjoy the world, find some cool things and get some shrines under your belt. You set the pace.

The monsters do level up as you do the divine beasts but the one that you mentioned remains the same. I think that it's the only one that behaves like this though. The quality of weapons seems to go up too. It's definitely the case in that round place near the plateau with all the
    elemental
    weapons. I quite liked how the monsters levelled up as I did.

• Advertisement

A great place to go for food and minerals is a mountain not far from the plateau. It's just a bit to the north-west. On some nights, there's a mysterious light near the top of that mountain. It sort of invites you to go and have a look.

There's loads to collect there any time of day and I think there's even a fine weapon near the top that respawns.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Jesus theres a lot to this game--Thanks for all the info.
    Im just going to get stuck in and see where it all takes me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

That's probably the best way to approach the game, and in turn, you'll get the most from it this way.

Inviere wrote: »
    That's probably the best way to approach the game, and in turn, you'll get the most from it this way.

100% it is the best way to play it. Insulate yourself from the spoilers and get lost in the game world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

100% it is the best way to play it. Insulate yourself from the spoilers and get lost in the game world.

Hmm.. maybe 99% it's the best way.

Cooking is a chore and i don't even know effective recipes, i just throw loads of identical things into a pot. I know there's a few recipes on walls, but i have no interest discovering my own recipes.

And really, it's not fun selling or using hard to get items just to find you needed them to upgrade armour and have to farm more.

And as for the quests. It's worth noting in advance that the reward for completing most quests is 50 rupees. Quests usually don't further the story. You do quests for quest's sake and you'll enjoy the game more knowing this in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here's a nice companion app for Android that acts as a recipe book
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jamesmcnee.com.botwfoodhelper

• Registered Users Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

New Zelda Game Is Coming Soon, Teases Game Informer Editor

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/460997-new-zelda-game

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&t=3781&v=bfNzM9sIrD4

I can't remember how to embed a video at a certain start time, if someone wants to remind me how, thanks. I hope it's a proper Zelda Game and not some cheap little spin-off. Something akin to Majora's Mask following OOT.

Art director on why Zelda’s art style constantly changes, and how Breath of the Wild’s look was made

https://nintendoeverything.com/art-director-on-why-zeldas-art-style-constantly-changes-and-how-breath-of-the-wilds-look-was-made/

I think the first thing they look at is, what can this machine handle and then start from there. I love BOTW but its visual style was chosen because the Wii U and Switch couldn't handle a massive world like that with realistic graphics and fine detail. I've no problem with how the visuals are and would gladly welcome another BOTW. It's a beautiful game and it's clever use of limited technology by Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I'll take a game that is to BOTW what Majora's Mask was to OoT ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

sligeach wrote:
    I think the first thing they look at is, what can this machine handle and then start from there. I love BOTW but its visual style was chosen because the Wii U and Switch couldn't handle a massive world like that with realistic graphics and fine detail. I've no problem with how the visuals are and would gladly welcome another BOTW. It's a beautiful game and it's clever use of limited technology by Nintendo.

Would you really want realistic graphics and fine detail though? A main part of the charm for me of zelda titles was the art styles. Botw did nothing for me and I think the open world style was a step in the wrong direction from the iterative exploratory modes of previous titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Insane Breath Of The Wild Gamer Defeats 6 Guardians In 22 Seconds

https://nintendosoup.com/insane-breath-of-the-wild-gamer-defeats-6-guardians-in-22-seconds/

The game that keeps on giving. This is very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

sligeach wrote: »
    Insane Breath Of The Wild Gamer Defeats 6 Guardians In 22 Seconds

https://nintendosoup.com/insane-breath-of-the-wild-gamer-defeats-6-guardians-in-22-seconds/

The game that keeps on giving. This is very impressive.

My favourite game of all time. The only game I've played through twice (wiiu, switch) and I enjoyed it even more the second time when I went more slowly. I've done most of the shrines with dlc todo. I think it would take pages to list why it's so good.

It would be stupid of Nintendo not to reuse the engine for another adventure. I hope they keep it bright and breezy and not dark like majora's mask or twilight princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Finished my last Divine Beast and went Core farming and now have full Ancient Armour, Guardian Shield, Axe and Sword ++. Pretty sure I'd be able for the Ganon chap now but not sure if I should just make a run for him or tip around mopping up remaining shrines and mysteries. Or should I go upgrading Ancient Armour (not sure if I need to for final fight)

Presume I can do whatever I have left to do in the world once I beat him?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

skerry wrote: »
    Finished my last Divine Beast and went Core farming and now have full Ancient Armour, Guardian Shield, Axe and Sword ++. Pretty sure I'd be able for the Ganon chap now but not sure if I should just make a run for him or tip around mopping up remaining shrines and mysteries. Or should I go upgrading Ancient Armour (not sure if I need to for final fight)

You'll probably breeze past Ganon tbh, getting to him can be harder, unless you've been exploring the castle and know what to expect there. And yeah, you're free to do anything afterwards.

Star Lord wrote: »
    You'll probably breeze past Ganon tbh, getting to him can be harder, unless you've been exploring the castle and know what to expect there. And yeah, you're free to do anything afterwards.

Cool. I haven't went near the castle only to farm a couple of stalkers for cores really. May aswell head for him so I guess. Have my Ancient armor upgraded twice now so should be fine.

Any idea if DLC is worth picking up? I've about 40 ish shrines done so might check how many are left in main game. I know DLC adds more but other than that not sure what else it adds

You have loads more shrines to get, plus once you know the world well it should be enjoyable to find all the lost memories. Then you get an extended end sequence when you defeat ganon. I'd say don't rush it. Some of the shrines are magical to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Quick one, re Ganon.
    Is it the case that the ending is different, or the ending is extended? If its different, I'll go kill him before I get the last beast, then go back again with everything, just so I can see every cutscene etc.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Quick one, re Ganon.
    Is it the case that the ending is different, or the ending is extended? If its different, I'll go kill him before I get the last beast, then go back again with everything, just so I can see every cutscene etc.

Get all the beasts if you want to see the full on attack on ganon. Plus the lost memories for the backstory and an extended ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The speedruns are insane, this is the current world record:

So I went after Ganon and beat him. Quick question
    I got the alternate ending as I didn't have all memories unlocked. Gonna try mop them up now and try get full ending. If I go back to Hyrule Castle, will all enemies on the way in have respawned or can I just go straight to the main lad?

So I went after Ganon and beat him. Quick question
    I got the alternate ending as I didn't have all memories unlocked. Gonna try mop them up now and try get full ending. If I go back to Hyrule Castle, will all enemies on the way in have respawned or can I just go straight to the main lad?

Probably by the time you get all the memories there will be another blood moon. Everything will respawn.

conormario wrote: »
    Probably by the time you get all the memories there will be another blood moon. Everything will respawn.

Cheers, I kind of figured that but wasn't sure. Not a big deal I guess. I've done it once now so have a fair idea what I'm at.

Any idea if the DLC IS worth picking up? Have a decent amount to cover in main game still I reckon so not sure if I'd need it just yet.

Cheers, I kind of figured that but wasn't sure. Not a big deal I guess. I've done it once now so have a fair idea what I'm at.

Any idea if the DLC IS worth picking up? Have a decent amount to cover in main game still I reckon so not sure if I'd need it just yet.

Think there are a few features in it that'll make the game more enjoyable plus new content. I haven't tried it. Will get it at some stage or if it's on sale.

Think there are a few features in it that'll make the game more enjoyable plus new content. I haven't tried it. Will get it at some stage or if it's on sale.

Also, go to Eventide island if you want an interesting challenge.

Reckon I might hold off on DLC too. Have heaps of things left to do in main game with shrines and armour sets left to pick up.

Fantastic game though. Kept meaning to give it a break all week but there's always one more thing on the horizon to make your way towards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I reckon the DLC is worth it for the Hero's Path alone even if you don't plan to touch the other content for ages.

Advertisement