Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking how much would this cost?

How much approx would a PC running the quality in the video clip cost?

When he made that video he was running a system with the following specs:

Intel i7 7700k cpu (overclocked to 4.9GHz I believe)
    16GB DDR4 Ram
    GTX 980 GPU

Recently he's moved on to an i7 8700K cpu after his 7700k cpu started having issues (likely related to his overclock I would think). It's the same setup I have, except I've a 1070 gpu and I haven't overlocked my 7700k. It's not mega expensive, but still pricey enough given the cost of ram & gpu's today. You'd want to park about a grand for it I'd say, when you factor in a motherboard, psu, case, hdd's, etc. Pricey, but considering it also plays AAA games at the highest settings making the current consoles look very weak in comparison, handles VR without breaking a sweat, and does pretty much all you ask of it, I consider it worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Inviere wrote: »
    making the current consoles look very weak in comparison.. I consider it worth it.
    I just don't see it, it makes the best game ever made look a good bit better but nothing massive, if you only ever play the game on the switch your not missing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Greyfox wrote: »
    I just don't see it, it makes the best game ever made look a good bit better but nothing massive, if you only ever play the game on the switch your not missing anything.

Except a big hole in your wallet :)

I just don't see it

You don't see the difference between 30fps and >60fps? Lucky you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you or anyone you know has experienced the issues described in these posts, please contact the following for support:

Specsavers

Royal Victorian Eye & Ear Hospital

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Is it a thousand euros worth of difference though?

Obviously I'm not so subtly defending the Switch here. :P

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Is it a thousand euros worth of difference though?

Well you're getting a bit more than just emulation grunt with that kind of money. You're getting essentially a Playstation 5 / Xbox One Two (!) level system, minus the exclusives naturally. When these systems come out you're going to be paying €450/€500 for them anyway, & they'll be purely games consoles with no other features. I've 8TB of storage in mine, 6TB for local film & TV media all handled by Kodi, and another 2TB dedicated to emulation, handled mostly through Retroarch & Launchbox. I browse the internet on it, I watch TV on it, I've dabbled with music recording/editing on it, the list goes on.

TL DR - this isn't a PC versus console thread, & I don't wish to turn it into one. I'm simply saying that you'll get what you pay for, and for me, I see no issue in investing a little bit more in pc specs, in order to get the results I want.
    Obviously I'm not so subtly defending the Switch here. :P

Indeed, but I'm not attacking the Switch. I say all this as a Switch owner! By the way, if there's any console that's the perfect accompaniment to a PC, it's the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

GTX 980 GPU

It's a 980Ti he uses, which is quite a bit of a step up in both power and cost from the standard 980!
    The 980Ti is very comparable price wise to the 1080

Star Lord wrote: »
    It's a 980Ti he uses, which is quite a bit of a step up in both power and cost from the standard 980!
    The 980Ti is very comparable price wise to the 1080

The 980Ti was superseded by the 1070 though no? Prices have begun to normalise, & 1070's can be got for around €400 now - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2-geforce-gtx-1070-ex-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-091-kf.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

You're getting essentially a Playstation 5 / Xbox One Two (!)
    To be honest when I'm looking at YouTube comparisons I can see theres a difference, but a generation up is a very gross exaduration. Is there any YouTube videos that show a massive difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It is a pain dragging the PC into the bathroom for some toilet play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

It is a pain dragging the PC into the bathroom for some toilet play.

Best way to get the golden turd though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

i play breath of the wild on wiiu its same game,

the switch according to specifications has 4gb of ram , 2gigahertz , and play hd cartridges of that are 3 times clockspeed of bluray

systems software similar to the ps4 that why play similar games

will have vc games this september but not similar to wiiu or wii vc instead search by title of the game not their system

but a generation up is a very gross exaduration.

I don't believe so. The video above shows breath of the Wild running at 60fps, and at 4k resolution. If you don't think that's a generational leap over 30fps & 720p resolution, I'm not sure how else to make the case. Playing on the Switch or Wii U is perfectly fine (Korok forest aside), it's how I played the game initially and I was blown away by it. But Nintendo won't be eyeing 4k resolutions for a long while to come, so I feel it really is a generational leap.
    Is there any YouTube videos that show a massive difference?

There are many videos showcasing what the likes of a GTX1080Ti can do. For instance...

I wonder if I'll be able to pull my save file from my Switch, and use it in Cemu at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wonder if I'll be able to pull my save file from my Switch, and use it in Cemu at some stage
    Not a hope in hell.

Thargor wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell.

Suppose it's a bit of a longshot alright :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

https://gbatemp.net/threads/botw-save-converter-switch-wii-u.499483/

Wow a minute ago I would have bet any money on that being impossible but apparently it is, thats mad, they must be identical versions to each other then.

Very interesting, cheers folks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Made it to kakariko village, where should I head after this? I take it I'll fighting a divine beast next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭peter4918

Made it to kakariko village, where should I head after this? I take it I'll fighting a divine beast next?

You can go wherever you like really, you can stick to the main story and take on the beast or else go wandering around doing stuff for hours on end before fighting it. The hyrule world really is your oyster!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

peter4918 wrote: »
    You can go wherever you like really, you can stick to the main story and take on the beast or else go wandering around doing stuff for hours on end before fighting it. The hyrule world really is your oyster!!

Whats the best way to prepare for the beasts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Whats the best way to prepare for the beasts ?

I've killed three now and tbh have found you don't really need to prepare in most cases too much. Just run around exploring, you'll build up items/weapons naturally and then go take one on.

I tried cooking a few items that give extra health etc and it almost seems like cheating during a battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

You'll want to bump into a character called Hetsu, if you already haven't. Minor spoiler
    he's not far from Kakariko village. I managed to miss him on my own oriinal playthrough so had to go back and find him!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well once you
    talk to Impa there she'll point you in the direction you need to go, such as upgrading the Slate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Here's how I approached it.

I went around the map climbing the towers and visiting shrines until I had completed 60 shrines.

At the same time I talk to the people in the towns and at the stables to pick up sidequests that I complete just whenever I feel like it.

I built up enough hearts so that I can get a certain famous weapon and then I headed to my first divine beast. I went with Zora, Goron, Rito and finally Gerudo.

After each divine beast I did 15 shrines and then when I had all 120 I went for the final battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

manual_man wrote: »

You'll want to bump into a character called Hetsu, if you already haven't. Minor spoiler
    he's not far from Kakariko village. I managed to miss him on my own oriinal playthrough so had to go back and find him!
    I happened to
    miss him too
    in my first playthrough!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I happened to
    miss him too
    in my first playthrough!

I think I must have paraglided over his fat àss :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Lads stop telling him what to do! Part of the enjoyment and brilliance is not having a defined route layed out.

Go explore an area. Realise you are not prepared. Find a way to survive. Maybe pick up a decent weapon on your way out etc.

Sephiroth, do what you want to do and not what you think you should be doing. The story and quests will naturally work their way into your play style.

Advertisement