Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I miss this game so much :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It'd be nice if the Wii U controller displayed your inventory .

Like it's supposed to!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I bought the DLC months back and never played it. At this stage I'm tempted to just play through it all again. Is the DLC separate to everything or could you do it as you play through the main game?

Gives you some weapon and power boosts but nothing game changing, it's a self contained challenge with 2 very interesting in game rewards that I won't spoil...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The update no one asked for. Up to 88 shrines, not really stumbling on to them any more. I have the four divine beasts but have no interest at all in heading for the main man yet. Still consuming my days off, and I even have one or two tips to give my kids now (though mostly it's still them telling me!)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Freezing time, whack whack whack whack, bomb arrows, bomb arrows freezing time whack whack whack.

My 10 year olds definitive guide to killing stripey lynels.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

So I am about 60 hours in. Have unlocked a good few shrines, have 4 divine beasts. At this stage I am wandering around loving it. I do want to Defeat Gannon, but don’t want the game to end. When I finished the main story of The Witcher 3 I couldn’t face just wandering around doing side missions.

I don’t want that to happen to BotW.

What is the DLC like? Will it keep me interested after defeating Gannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

nedd wrote: »
    So I am about 60 hours in. Have unlocked a good few shrines, have 4 divine beasts. At this stage I am wandering around loving it. I do want to Defeat Gannon, but don’t want the game to end. When I finished the main story of The Witcher 3 I couldn’t face just wandering around doing side missions.

The DLC adds a lot to the story and gives you a bunch of new shrines. It's worth it for that alone.

There's also a master-mode campaign where enemies are harder and revive if they haven't been hit in a while. It's basically hard mode.

You can also do they trial of the sword which is a decent challenge - you start out with nothing and go from room to room taking out monsters who get tougher as you progress.

There's a hero's path map overlay which shows you where you've walked. It's handy for exploring areas that you might have missed. You also get a travel medallion which is something that you can place in the overworld and later you can fast-travel to it like you would with a shrine or tower.

I think that's about it from the DLC. Oh yeah, there's some new costumes that you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I would advise wandering around as much as you can and exploring new areas because the withdrawal after you stop playing for a few days is something else :P. I would also advise leaving some of the armour sets until last so you traverse the land using the Master Cycle from the DLC, which is great fun doing.

The DLC adds a lot to the story and gives you a bunch of new shrines. It's worth it for that alone.

There's also a master-mode campaign where enemies are harder and revive if they haven't been hit in a while. It's basically hard mode.

You can also do they trial of the sword which is a decent challenge - you start out with nothing and go from room to room taking out monsters who get tougher as you progress.

There's a hero's path map overlay which shows you where you've walked. It's handy for exploring areas that you might have missed. You also get a travel medallion which is something that you can place in the overworld and later you can fast-travel to it like you would with a shrine or tower.

I think that's about it from the DLC. Oh yeah, there's some new costumes that you can find.

Thanks for that. I might have a go at Gannon in the coming week and then go for the DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What is that enemy at 00:57?

Thargor wrote: »
    What is that enemy at 00:57?

It's a modded Lynel made to resemble Ganondorf. I don't get the mask though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

I've beaten every shrine and upgraded all my armour, now I'll just mop up the ~20 side quests left. Then I'll get the DLC at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd do the Master Quest trials one as soon as you can. It's surprising how bad you get at the game after a few months away, and you need to be pretty good to get through the last trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Buy the DLC straight away. The game doesn't change but it adds heros path that shows where you've already walked and that's actually a really nice feature. The side quests are added throughout the map and you can tackle them as you come across them.

The new items you can get are really worthwhile, including
    a saddle and bridle to upgrade your horse to have 2 extra stamina and teleport to you when you whistle, and also an item that lets you set your own teleportation point, as well as a few useful masks, and the motorbike (though i haven't got to that part yet)

I doubt I'll ever play in hard mode because, as much as I still like roaming around the map, I don't really want the grind of starting with 3 hearts, no items, and constant game over screens. I did tackle the 4 extra shrines on the great plateau and that was fun, and I'll do the new story and quests at some stage, and intend to tackle the trial of the sword when i have some free time.

I bought the DLC the other day. I still havent taken on Gannon. I am putting that off for as long as possible.

I am currently playing through the Champions Ballad thing. It is good enough. I will do some of the other side missions as well and then finish off the game.

Next up for me is Skyrim. So probably another 100 hours in that.

Ganon will be an anticlimax. Fairly easy. I did him pretty early and just parried his lasers a lot and used bomb arrows IIRC. It didn't stop my enjoyment of returning to the game and wandering around discovering stuff. the hero's path definitely improved my enjoyment of the game, made it less of a slog trying to remember where i'd already been

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Xofpod

antix80 wrote: »
    Ganon will be an anticlimax. Fairly easy. I did him pretty early and just parried his lasers a lot and used bomb arrows IIRC. It didn't stop my enjoyment of returning to the game and wandering around discovering stuff. the hero's path definitely improved my enjoyment of the game, made it less of a slog trying to remember where i'd already been

The Hero's Path function definitely adds a lot to the game. At the time, I thought it was cheap that they hadn't added it from the start but looking back, it brings a real freshness to game when it drops in after you've already put in 100+ hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I did tackle the 4 extra shrines on the great plateau and that was fun, and I'll do the new story and quests at some stage, and intend to tackle the trial of the sword when i have some free time.

One of them was no fun for me. It took me about 8 or 10 attempts. I think we all know which one I'm talking about.

I left Ganon until I had basically done and upgraded everything. I rocked up to his house with Ancient armour set, Ancient bow, Rivali Bow, heaps of Ancient and Bomb Arrows, Ancient shield, Ancient sword, Urbosa's Fury, Rivali's Gale, Darul's protection, Mifa's grace and Attack Up. I was the boss in that boss fight and the game was Dark Souls. Poor Ganon couldn't do anything and my gear meant that I didn't even need to parry (I'm crap at that anyway). Phase 1 was over quickly and I don't think I got hit once.

So yeah, Ganon is too easy if you have everything and go after him with all the right gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

Xofpod wrote: »
    The Hero's Path function definitely adds a lot to the game. At the time, I thought it was cheap that they hadn't added it from the start but looking back, it brings a real freshness to game when it drops in after you've already put in 100+ hours.

Is it all side quest stuff? I mean, without spoiling it coz I've never played it yet, but how does it add to the game when you've beaten all four divine beasts and then beaten Ganon?

Xofpod wrote: »

It was cheap of them, because it was already in the game from launch tracking your movement but only became available if you paid for the DLC. There were a few other pieces in the DLC packs that were equally as cheap. There were some good things too, The Trial of the Sword was nice, even if just recycled existing assets. I don't think for what they included, it was worth €20. Mind you, I haven't played the 2nd bit, might save that for Christmas, but I know what it contains.
    Inviere wrote: »
    Is it all side quest stuff? I mean, without spoiling it coz I've never played it yet, but how does it add to the game when you've beaten all four divine beasts and then beaten Ganon?

It's not a spoiler, it just tracks your movement in the game for the last 200 hours, showing a green timeline on the map of your travels. It doesn't really, but it might show you where you haven't been on the map, say like if you're searching for Korok seeds. I had put in nearly 500 hours and 100% the game, so it was too late and did nothing for me.

Open Your Eyes (Zelda: Breath of the Wild Remix)
    Made entirely from sound clips in the game.

Contains some video clips from the game, so maybe spoilers? Close your eyes or something... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Well I've finally beaten every side quest and upgraded all my armour, after 140 hours. Will get the DLC soon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Only just got this yesterday--what a game but it seems absolutely huge in the amount of hours needed to complete.
    Ive just finished the Hyrule plains and got the 4 shrines complete--any tips for a newbie to the game or even Zelda in general.
    I cant find any decent weapons and am relying on those clubs that one of the monsters drop to use in fights. The treveller sword broke after I tried to fight one of those machine guardians so Im fecked without a decent weapon!!!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Only just got this yesterday--what a game but it seems absolutely huge in the amount of hours needed to complete.
    Ive just finished the Hyrule plains and got the 4 shrines complete--any tips for a newbie to the game or even Zelda in general.
    I cant find any decent weapons and am relying on those clubs that one of the monsters drop to use in fights. The treveller sword broke after I tried to fight one of those machine guardians so Im fecked without a decent weapon!!!

Avoid any bad guy bigger than the red of blue Moblin. It is a massive game and will take time to get better weapons and armour.

Talk to everyone you meet, don’t be afraid to run away from bad guys.

Head west from where you started, follow the Divine Beast missions. It is an amazing game and can be a little daunting at the start. Most of your time will be spent just wandering around and enjoying yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

Unlocking the memories is Nintendo's way of guiding you through developing your skills and inventory. The first hint is from the painter in Kakariko Village, he'll tell you where to find the first memory. After that, you'll find him around the map at the stables, where he'll give you hints on the rest of the memory. By doing this, you power up, open the map, increase skills, etc. Do the Divine Beats along the way if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Avoid any bad guy bigger than the red of blue Moblin. It is a massive game and will take time to get better weapons and armour.

Talk to everyone you meet, don’t be afraid to run away from bad guys.

Head west from where you started, follow the Divine Beast missions. It is an amazing game and can be a little daunting at the start. Most of your time will be spent just wandering around and enjoying yourself.

West?! Nay, head east!

Stick to the roads or you'll miss anything that resembles a story.

Avoid monsters til you're strong enough to fight them. You can usually outrun them if you're spotted. You'll do this a lot til you gain more hearts and armour.

When you come across a monster camp, you'll often see a way to defeat it, like using magnesis on metal boxes (even steal metal chests and weapons they guard), or hit a lamp or detonate bombs on dynamite barrells below.
    You can often steal their food and weapons without fighting them, just run away.

Spin attack with large weapons.
    Use your shield esp when you're low on hearts and armour
    Use stasis on enemies, esp flocks of bats (keese) and enemies on horseback
    I saw a youtuber using a korok leaf to great effect to blow enemies into the water where they die.

If you tiptoe up to monsters when theyre asleep it will give you the "sneak attack" option to snuff them out.

Get used to blocking and jumping to avoid attacks... If you dodge an attack you get to do a flurry rush, basically time slows down and you get to batter your opponent.

ancient parts, critters, monster parts.. You need these to upgrade your armour in the fairy shrines. Be careful what you sell as it's hard to rebuild your inventory

Don't buy the necklaces or pendants or whatever in gerudo town. Armour sets are better.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    West?! Nay, head east!

Oops. You are right!

Advertisement