Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fibre is fed from the exchange not the cabinets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

have there been situations where FTTH service can go live in an area before a cabinet in the area go VDSL/FTTC service have I that right? -

Yes ...

It has nothing to do with eachother. Completely different infrastructure.

Actually, on the Calverstown exchange (Co. Kildare), exactly that happened. The area was FTTH enabled .. about 3-4 weeks later the local cabinet then also went live. Presumably it had been dropped there ages ago and they just finished the wiring of that, while they were at it.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Marlow wrote: »
    Yes ...

It has nothing to do with eachother. Completely different infrastructure.

Actually, on the Calverstown exchange (Co. Kildare), exactly that happened. The area was FTTH enabled .. about 3-4 weeks later the local cabinet then also went live. Presumably it had been dropped there ages ago and they just finished the wiring of that, while they were at it.

/M

In Andy's case though the cabinet he is taking about is the exchange cabinet. Both systems need fibre backhaul into the core network and I suspect, though can't be sure, that this is the reason for the delay in his area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I have uploaded an album to imgur if someone might be so kind as to check. If it's of any relevance the sticker on the spool like thing says RDM9-00714C.

Album link: http://imgur.com/a/EJXQWpy

You should have linked the image rather than the album ;)

https://i.imgur.com/ubmZuRR.jpg

That is similar to images already posted by others of a FTTH DP on a pole.

Thanks! It's funny because when I put the eircode of the house into the fibre rollout tool it tells me that we're outside the fibre/300K area so will be in the NBP. I'm going to assume that a fibre connection 20m from the house would mean otherwise!

Thanks! It's funny because when I put the eircode of the house into the fibre rollout tool it tells me that we're outside the fibre/300K area so will be in the NBP. I'm going to assume that a fibre connection 20m from the house would mean otherwise!

They have extended the build in certain areas and fibrerollout is not to be totally trusted. Do you have an existing copper line from that pole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I know the previous owner of the house had a phone and DSL connection but I can't actually see the wire coming off the pole. There looks to be a duct on the pole going into the hill beside it so I wonder if the copper connection is coming in through the ground? Would that be common? Our house is elevated so the living room windiw actually the same height as the top of that pole.

I know the previous owner of the house had a phone and DSL connection but I can't actually see the wire coming off the pole. There looks to be a duct on the pole going into the hill beside it so I wonder if the copper connection is coming in through the ground? Would that be common? Our house is elevated so the living room windiw actually the same height as the top of that pole.

That would be my guess. I can't see any other reason for the duct entering the hill like that. If you ordered the installer would try to feed the fibre cable through that duct so you have to hope it is clear and has not been crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

fritzelly wrote: »
    Fibre is fed from the exchange not the cabinets

these are the plethora of cabinets in our village ... could one of these be an exchange?

464196.jpg

EDIT: - sorry, someone did answer before on this thread (might have been you Navi or Marlow) but I tried searching on this thread and couldnt find the post saying which one was thought to be an exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

They’ve been busy out our way. Drove down the road today and all the poles I passed do indeed now have DPs on them.

these are the plethora of cabinets in our village ... could one of these be an exchange?

EDIT: - sorry, someone did answer before on this thread (might have been you Navi or Marlow) but I tried searching on this thread and couldnt find the post saying which one was thought to be an exchange

Yeah that is the exchange. The VDSL cabinet seems to be live now anyway. I just checked the pub's phone number and it is passing for 100Mb. Hopefully you won't have too much longer of a wait.

• Advertisement

The pole in my garden doesn’t linkup with the pole that has the DP. It goes off in a slightly different direction. Would they just run the fiber cable from that pole to the one in our garden?

chris_ie wrote: »
    The pole in my garden doesn’t linkup with the pole that has the DP. It goes off in a slightly different direction. Would they just run the fiber cable from that pole to the one in our garden?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Do you mean there is no existing cable from the DP pole to the garden pole? Where does your existing copper line come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They will run the cable from the DP along the road to the pole that does connect to yours and then will string it from there - most likely - going by how they did it here.

Yeah that is the exchange. The VDSL cabinet seems to be live now anyway. I just checked the pub's phone number and it is passing for 100Mb. Hopefully you won't have too much longer of a wait.

oh thanks , I should have tried putting the pub number into the checker.

So what colour cabinet is the exchange please - is it the green one or white one or the grey looking ones?

Do you mean a pole on your property? If there is a line strung to it from a roadside poll, then it likely runs down the pole into the duct and then underground - possibly to a galvanised metal hatch let into the ground or pavement and then from there through another duct into the house.

oh thanks , I should have tried putting the pub number into the checker.

So what colour cabinet is the exchange please - is it the green one or white one or the grey looking ones?

I suppose technically they all make up the exchange in that they all house equipment you would find in an exchange building. As I said to you before I am unsure of whether they have located the OLT that would serve your area in one of those cabinets.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Do you mean there is no existing cable from the DP pole to the garden pole? Where does your existing copper line come from?

Ok I’ve done a highly detailed drawing ;) The green lines coming in top left are those with the fiber run and DPs
    https://i.imgur.com/cvvf7NN.jpg

Pole in our garden :
    https://i.imgur.com/oF3bhgT.jpg

Our pole connects to the pole on the left in this image. You can see the DP on the pole in the right. No connection between them :
    https://i.imgur.com/opuck9Z.jpg

A while back I spoke to a KN guy who was down the man hole beside our pole. He was connecting the neighbours phone line on the other side (not the side in photo). So I asked was it ducted and he said that that road was. But the pole confuses me! :)

a guy who leaves in his laptop for me to repair works down there at the pub/shop says they have had really terrible internet connection (that would have been ADSL) there and for the Lotto machine and the credit card machine etc... I had suggested moving wireless router there in a better location and making sure nothing blocking signal and doing a spreed test plugged straight into master socket, but he seemed to just think it were the broadband itself - now its VDSL fibre now is it likely it could be a lot more stable for him if he switches to a VDSL fobre package now do you reckon? (sorry to go off topic mods - i know its FTTC question) but its just that it came up on here and I was thinking of it.

Further to my earlier post where I described my off-spec install in the loft, and just to re-cap: I ducted, trenched and buried my phone line myself about 17 years ago because Eircom wouldn't. With the fibre install, I happened to have some HD water pipe left over from something else and so the installer threaded the fibre through that and left it lying on the ground for me to bury.

I have been busy digging up the phone duct so I can re-burry the fibre along with it. Progress so far:
    Telephone-duct-1.jpg

Telephone-duct-2.jpg

Ok I’ve done a highly detailed drawing ;) The green lines coming in top left are those with the fiber run and DPs
    https://i.imgur.com/cvvf7NN.jpg

Pole in our garden :
    https://i.imgur.com/oF3bhgT.jpg

Our pole connects to the pole on the left in this image. You can see the DP on the pole in the right. No connection between them :
    https://i.imgur.com/opuck9Z.jpg

A while back I spoke to a KN guy who was down the man hole beside our pole. He was connecting the neighbours phone line on the other side (not the side in photo). So I asked was it ducted and he said that that road was. But the pole confuses me! :)

It should just be a matter of cable from DP pole to the pole on the left in your third image, then on to the pole in your garden.

That is assuming your home has been assigned to that DP which I assume you have been as you don't mention any other nearby DP.

Edit:

I am an idiot. Those are ESB poles.

• Advertisement

The guy down there at the pub/shop says they have had really terrible connection (that would have been ADSL) there and for the Lotto machine and the credit card machine etc... I had suggested moving wireless router there in a better location and making sure nothing blocking signal and doing a spreed test plugged straight into master socket, but he seemed to just think it were the broadband itself - now its VDSL fibre now is it likely it could be a lot more stable for him if he switches to a VDSL fobre package now do you reckon? (sorry to go off topic mods - i know its FTTC question) but its just that it came up on here and I was thinking of it.

Should be rock solid at that distance. 20Mb up for his card machine!

chris_ie that pole in you garden and the one it connects to are ESB poles. If you to want to pm me your Eircode I can take a look and see how you may be connected.

Should be rock solid at that distance. 20Mb up for his card machine!

thanks, must be something else , if not router issue a telephone wiring / socket fault then if its really that bad . I will pop down one day and check what speed he is getting at master socket level and plugging an ethernet straight into the router bypassing wireless one day and see whats gong on.

thanks, must be something else , if not router issue a telephone wiring / socket fault then if its really that bad . I will pop down one day and check what speed he is getting at master socket level and plugging an ethernet straight into the router bypassing wireless one day and see whats gong on.

If he's getting VDSL they'll fit a new master socket that isolates the internal wiring. Also if he's relying on WiFi it needs to be planned properly.

It should just be a matter of cable from DP pole to the pole on the left in your third image, then on to the pole in your garden.

That is assuming your home has been assigned to that DP which I assume you have been as you don't mention any other nearby DP.

Yeah from that DP there are only 6 houses from there that are on the roll out.

Yeah from that DP there are only 6 houses from there that are on the roll out.

See my edit. They are ESB poles.

Edit:

I am an idiot. Those are ESB poles.

:D I had wondered if they were but thought the ESB poles were different! And they look pretty much the same as those with the DPs! Ha

:D I had wondered if they were but thought the ESB poles were different! And they look pretty much the same as those with the DPs! Ha

ESB poles usually have a sign, that there is high voltage on them.

Also, ESB cables are always taught and neat. OpenEIR cables usually are sloppy and hanging through.

Another way to identify ESB cables is the isolators for the power cabling. OpenEIR cabling has no isolators.

/M

Feel a bit of a dumba** now but all makes sense now haha! Cheers lads.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    170K SIRO premises as of August, 185K list of eircodes... Its SIRO. Theres a shorter list of OE Eircodes that they're planning (80K I think).

Just to come back to this. I've compared that list of 185k to other data. They're as bad as Eir retail when it comes to updating their product check.

That prequal data is like 2 months old. At least 2 updates since then.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement