Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not surprising really. Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    Not surprising really. Ta.

Do they not intend going nationwide with open eir if they are only planning for 80k Eircodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Do they not intend going nationwide with open eir if they are only planning for 80k Eircodes?

I think they're treading carefully. They have contention issues as it is and they've probably removed all urban ones that overlap with SIRO. There are lots of SIRO and OpenEIR FTTH overlaps. Ennis is a very good example of that, but also in other places.

Could also be, that they've simply removed all that don't have the insitu build indicator :) .. Must check.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I find it amazing how the word WiFi has become synonymous with broadband. I suppose it's a reflection of how people connect these days.

Good damn the Chineese are at it again and have screwed Eir over on the latest shipment of WIFI :(

https://twitter.com/_celinew_/status/1053699385853440000

tuxy wrote: »
    Good damn the Chineese are at it again and have screwed Eir over on the latest shipment of WIFI :(

https://twitter.com/_celinew_/status/1053699385853440000

No issues with my eir WiFi!

• Advertisement

Ah here .. that's because that person hasn't made it past the great (fire)wall of China. There are real issues with getting any data through any sort of chinese delivery. It's prohibited by chinese law.

Might talk to my local chinese take-away to speed things up.

/M

No issues with my eir WiFi!

It's well for some, did you order express shipping by plane?

https://twitter.com/aliegan/status/1053372869898657792

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

https://twitter.com/aliegan/status/1053372869898657792

bloody hell - she is a doctor with degrees and all that and dont know diference between wi-fi and broadband .. glad she aint my GP

That must be the explanation alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Have been doing some prep work for a hopeful future install. I've dug out a trench for a new duct as the existing one is too narrow for another cable. It goes into an old P&T access box at our gate which is on a disused old road. I've dug the trench right out to the box & I'm wondering should I just tie up the ducting & pull rope there or would I get into bother if I drill in & fit the duct pipe somewhere out of the way. I've checked & it's possible to drill through without going near any cable. The fibre hasn't been ran through yet. Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

bloody hell - she is a doctor with degrees and all that and dont know diference between wi-fi and broadband .. glad she aint my GP

She's also an E- Learning Technologist!

464236.png

jgbyr wrote: »
    Have been doing some prep work for a hopeful future install. I've dug out a trench for a new duct as the existing one is too narrow for another cable. It goes into an old P&T access box at our gate which is on a disused old road. I've dug the trench right out to the box & I'm wondering should I just tie up the ducting & pull rope there or would I get into bother if I drill in & fit the duct pipe somewhere out of the way. I've checked & it's possible to drill through without going near any cable. The fibre hasn't been ran through yet. Any thoughts?

Is the access box underground? It would probably make your installation an easier job if the duct is fitted, however it is most likely illegal and you could be leaving yourself liable if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Chance are they will say it needs civils to drill the hole.

Is the access box underground? It would probably make your installation an easier job if the duct is fitted, however it is most likely illegal and you could be leaving yourself liable if something goes wrong.

Yes it's underground. There's also a man cable passing through it. I'm just thinking it would speed things up for a future date.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Chance are they will say it needs civils to drill the hole.

Yes, I was thinking similar. The only issue, as Navi said, is it illegal. I'm unsure what to do.

Yes, I was thinking similar. The only issue, as Navi said, is it illegal. I'm unsure what to do.

I'm not going to tell you to do it or not but here is their advice for drilling:
    an open eir PQO agrees the location of the access hole prior to the operative core drilling the access hole in the open eir chamber; the access hole is located towards the edges of a chamber wall and the edge of the access hole is a minimum of 50mm from an inside corner of the chamber and 50mm from the floor of the chamber; end wall access is preferable but in some locations side wall access may be acceptable; locating the Operator access hole in or towards the horizontal centre of a chamber side wall is to be avoided.

Fill any gap around the duct with a concrete mix.

I'm not going to tell you to do it or not but here is their advice for drilling:

Fill any gap around the duct with a concrete mix.

Thanks for the info Navi. Will have to think about it all.

I just found 4 FTTH enabled premises on the Aran Islands ....

I bet the Islanders would be overjoyed .. but the respective exchanges are Kildare, Tullow and Cavan.

I think not.

/M

After some more digging, I came up with this:

93k ish OpenEIR eircodes for FTTH on 138 exchanges. Some of these maybe only 1 or 2 premises on a specific NGA exchange. Looks like their pick and choosing makes no sense.

It's not just one part of the country either.

44731507704_c5de6608d0_o.png

I'd love to know what their strategy is sometimes.

/M

Marlow wrote: »

93k ish OpenEIR eircodes for FTTH on 138 exchanges. Some of these maybe only 1 or 2 premises on a specific NGA exchange. Looks like their pick and choosing makes no sense.

/M

Good detective work! Seems a peculiar plan alright.

• Advertisement

Good detective work! Seems a peculiar plan alright.

The only thing I maybe can think of is existing business. I have 2 more database, that I may be able to match to :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

44731507704_c5de6608d0_o.png

/M

How come you have only 93k eircodes? It should be over 200k by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

digiman wrote: »
    How come you have only 93k eircodes? It should be over 200k by now.

Its a vodafone subset, not OpenEirs full list.

ED E wrote: »
    Its a vodafone subset, not OpenEirs full list.

Is it saying that there are 93k homes that have the option of both eir and Siro FTTH?

If so, there is no way that is correct!! So it must be something else

Is it saying that there are 93k homes that have the option of both eir and Siro FTTH?

If so, there is no way that is correct!! So it must be something else

I get ya now, had to go back a long way to see what you mean.

When they are sending the full list of eir codes, how do you save this file to your PC?

When they are sending the full list of eir codes, how do you save this file to your PC?

Its in the javascript code that runs in the background. And it takes a good bit converting too, to make sense of it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I know the previous owner of the house had a phone and DSL connection but I can't actually see the wire coming off the pole. There looks to be a duct on the pole going into the hill beside it so I wonder if the copper connection is coming in through the ground? Would that be common? Our house is elevated so the living room windiw actually the same height as the top of that pole.

That would be my guess. I can't see any other reason for the duct entering the hill like that. If you ordered the installer would try to feed the fibre cable through that duct so you have to hope it is clear and has not been crushed.

So I found that the copper wire comes up at the side of the house approx 30 metres from the pole. The duct goes through the hill and under the decking and comes up there. I can see this being a problem now because under the decking there is plastic sheeting etc. Anyone have experience with this kind of setup? Would the engineer string a fibre cable from the pole over directly and avoid the duct if he couldn't get access?

Have added more pics one outlining the top of the fibre pole. http://imgur.com/a/2Lqy2ZT

Would the engineer string a fibre cable from the pole over directly and avoid the duct if he couldn't get access?

Overhead is an option, and your choice. But you need to be within 50m of the pole for that. Also they might not do it, if it crosses power lines. It's down to a chat with the installer on the day.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Would the engineer string a fibre cable from the pole over directly and avoid the duct if he couldn't get access?

Overhead is an option, and your choice. But you need to be within 50m of the pole for that. Also they might not do it, if it crosses power lines. It's down to a chat with the installer on the day.

/M

I just dug down a little and actually found what looks like the top of a duct so underground could be an option yet. Looks like a black rubber/plastic casing about 1.5 inches in diameter that the white cable comes out of.

Overhead would be an option because no electricity wires there but not my favoured approach because there are a lot of trees that could cause downed lines and the like. Also just measured there it's about 20m from the pole to that box where the copper line enters the house so should be ample space to get an overhead wire across

• Advertisement

Underground is always the better approach. By a mile.

If you can and have access to a cobra or the likes, get a pull-rope into that duct. The redneck solution is a string with a big cotton-ball and then suck it through with a vacuum-cleaner :)

If you have a drawstring in there, before the installer arrives, there's going to be no fuss and zero chance of failing.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement