Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Marlow wrote: »
    One thing is excuses .. it also depends if they come from Eir .. or directly from OpenEIR.

But the sequence of events certainly make a big difference. And that's what I tried to point out. What Carolan Lennon was saying is pretty spot on. The problem with that is, that once OpenEIR shifts to another area, they're very very slow to change plans and come back. Fact of life.

/M

They are great with the excuses as always. Storms, council permision...etc. etc. Fact is they are behind way behind. They dont have to give a fcuk about it either. Because the rural areas have no other option but to wait. Btw all my communication has been with oe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

turbbo wrote: »
    They are great with the excuses as always. Storms, council permision...etc. etc. Fact is they are behind way behind. They dont have to give a fcuk about it either. Because the rural areas have no other option but to wait.

And then there's frenchie .. who wants to make more money in urban areas :p

We'll get there ... slowly ... did I mention I moved start of the month ? Requirement was ... it had to be in the 300k.

The last of 3 houses on the rollout in this area. Bleedin' place has been enabled since July 2017 and not a single soul knew. 4 days from getting keys and the fibre was in.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

And then there's frenchie .. who wants to make more money in urban areas :p

We'll get there ... slowly ... did I mention I moved start of the month ? Requirement was ... it had to be in the 300k.

The last of 3 houses on the rollout in this area. Bleedin' place has been enabled since July 2017 and not a single soul knew. 4 days from getting keys and the fibre was in.

/M

Yeah amazes me how ignorant people are about it but eventually people wil see the value in it when the wireless solutions aren't up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Trying to help out the mother with this one. According to fibrerollout (and airwire) check, her house is activated for Rural FTTH.

She is stuck on staying with Eir (new things are scary etc.) but even though the house passes the eir.ie Eircode check, the landline check gives "Although your area is enabled for eir Fibre broadband, it looks like it hasn't reached your address yet.". Some attempts already made on her part to try and resolve this "conundrum" but any guidance on who to talk to/what to do to try and resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

I am sure plenty said on this previously (mostly not good, going by Eir's reputation) but got through numerous searches/reading here and none the wiser thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If your eircode checks out then you should be good to go
    Not all eircodes are matched correctly with the landlines/ARD keys which just give the standard DSL/FTTC prequals if not matched correctly.
    It just needs someone to get them merged at OE and usually takes a day

• Advertisement

turbbo wrote: »
    Yeah amazes me how ignorant people are about it but eventually people wil see the value in it when the wireless solutions aren't up to it.

There are a small cohort of people who will do anything to get it - spend thousands if necessary.
    Then there is small percentage who want it but are not too bothered but will go a little out of their way to get it.
    Then there is a larger percentage who will not spend one cent to get it (clearing ducting etc)
    Then there is an even larger percentage who are not bothered period - sure they only check their emails or google stuff so what good is 150mb fibre, not gonna make it any faster really

Ergo the 20% takeup.

Regardless the hullabaloo about rural areas need fibre reality is most couldn't care less (but this is probably more down to the older generation)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Basically she's in the DB twice. So they have 12 This Street, 00000 (01-1234567) and 12 This Street, D12777. They should have been merged into a single record but for some reason haven't been.

Either a retail ISP (Eir) can submit to OE to have this record fixed and then wait or you can try and have sales just process her order as a new service rather than an upgrade. This may mean setting up FTTH, transferring the number, then cancelling the A/VDSL. Depends on what their billing package will allow them to do. Try and get a supervisor in sales (good luck!).

EDIT: I'd defer to fritz here if OE are doing the changes quickly.

ED E wrote: »
    Basically she's in the DB twice. So they have 12 This Street, 00000 (01-1234567) and 12 This Street, D12777. They should have been merged into a single record but for some reason haven't been.

Either a retail ISP (Eir) can submit to OE to have this record fixed and then wait or you can try and have sales just process her order as a new service rather than an upgrade. This may mean setting up FTTH, transferring the number, then cancelling the A/VDSL. Depends on what their billing package will allow them to do. Try and get a supervisor in sales (good luck!).

EDIT: I'd defer to fritz here if OE are doing the changes quickly.

If going for VOBB then you don't even need the merge, only problem lies where there is a copper line and you want to keep it then they need merging.

Or on second reading your post is that what you are saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fritzelly wrote: »
    If your eircode checks out then you should be good to go
    Not all eircodes are matched correctly with the landlines/ARD keys which just give the standard DSL/FTTC prequals if not matched correctly.
    It just needs someone to get them merged at OE and usually takes a day

Can something not be done about this? I know premises that are passed for over a year by FTTH that are still failing the phone line check yet are passing on Eircode on eir.ie.

The issue is that unless people know to check using Eircode they will never know it's available. How much business are they missing out on because of this.

At least put the two checkers on one page as a start.

If going for VOBB then you don't even need the merge, only problem lies where there is a copper line and you want to keep it then they need merging.

Or on second reading your post is that what you are saying?

Yeah, side by side install in order to not "lose" the number.

Only suggested that as at times in the past the OE backoffice was a glacially slow mover.

• Advertisement

Can something not be done about this?

Even Eircode themselves can't get it perfect (there are double coded premises and single coded premises that have been split into MUDs) but it shouldnt be a huge task if they were bothered.

1. Grab eircodes, pull street addresses
    2. Compare against existing ARDs
    3. Where similar list
    4. Have some schmoe in the office go through yae/nae-ing them.

Long term your database is much more useful.

Can something not be done about this? I know premises that are passed for over a year by FTTH that are still failing the phone line check yet are passing on Eircode on eir.ie.

The issue is that unless people know to check using Eircode they will never know it's available. How much business are they missing out on because of this.

At least put the two checkers on one page as a start.
    Don't think having 2 checkers on the same page will matter - people will just use the phone number as it's something they have memorised (most of the time) unlike the eircode.

I think that is why OE wanted to change to eircode only for their systems - at the mo 3 methods for checking.

And if OE don't know what phone numbers are matched with an eircode then it's not really gonna matter
    Internally each operator could do a check for the phone with the eircode if it exists in their billing system which is unlikely unless they already have FTTH
    Couldn't even do an address lookup to get the eircode as that wouldn't be all that accurate as to the correct eircode
    It's a messed up system but only because there has never been a way pre eircode to identify any premises. Even within OE the same rural address could have multiples of their own internal addressing system.

Yeah, side by side install in order to not "lose" the number.

Only suggested that as at times in the past the OE backoffice was a glacially slow mover.

Yeah that works - bit messy and probably easier to just get it sorted out to start for the sake of a day or two.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Even Eircode themselves can't get it perfect (there are double coded premises and single coded premises that have been split into MUDs) but it shouldnt be a huge task if they were bothered.

3. Where similar list

Why do you think, the Airwire product check came about ? Sure, we want to make some money at the end of the day. It's business after all.

But in all honesty, the result we come to on the product check incorporates 5 OpenEIR databases and some other ones, just to get things right. Add some guestimation, some cleaning and some manual matches. The quality of the data we are presented with is in no shape to be used as is.

One the SIRO side, one database does it all. Actually, as of recent 2 databases, but not everybody has spotted that gimmick yet.

At the end of the day we see 500+ new unique eircodes queries on our product check every week.

3. Where similar list

You could have 20 addresses if not more all using the same address - multiply that by the 10's of thousands of boreens and it becomes a big job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Don't think having 2 checkers on the same page will matter - people will just use the phone number as it's something they have memorised (most of the time) unlike the eircode.

I think that is why OE wanted to change to eircode only for their systems - at the mo 3 methods for checking.

And if OE don't know what phone numbers are matched with an eircode then it's not really gonna matter
    Internally each operator could do a check for the phone with the eircode if it exists in their billing system which is unlikely unless they already have FTTH
    Couldn't even do an address lookup to get the eircode as that wouldn't be all that accurate as to the correct eircode
    It's a messed up system but only because there has never been a way pre eircode to identify any premises. Even within OE the same rural address could have multiples of their own internal addressing system.

Have a statement explaining that there are multiple products and to have the best chance of receiving a service the customer should enter both. Obviously it's not ideal but they don't seem too pushed about fixing their database.

You could have 20 addresses if not more all using the same address - multiply that by the 10's of thousands of boreens and it becomes a big job.

Yeah, thats a mostly Irish problem.

Tom Keane, Timahoe, Kildare

And so on.

About 3 in reality, but yes.
    Have a statement explaining that there are multiple products and to have the best chance of receiving a service the customer should enter both. Obviously it's not ideal but they don't seem too pushed about fixing their database.

They don't even fix the database, when you give them the data. I just found found 4 FTTH enabled ard-keys on the Aran Islands last week, that are hanging of Kildare and Clonmel exchanges. Go figure. I was told to tell a different department.

/M

Yeah, thats a mostly Irish problem.

And so on.

And yet the postman knows where to post the mail - amazing really :D

About 3 in reality, but yes.

/M

Had one the other day - there was about 15 houses all using the same address. PITA
    Pretty sure I've come across others with even more addresses.

• Advertisement

Had one the other day - there was about 15 houses all using the same address. PITA
    Pretty sure I've come across others with even more addresses.

I believe it. I really do. Our office was 2 roads further down the estate until i fixed it (wrong ard-key / eircode match).

It's because OE relied on either supplier or india doing their eircode matches instead of doing it right. And of course not cleaning TIS up first. And trusting India to getting irish lingo addresses to match right with several places existing multiple times in the same counties .. yeah .. right.

/M

Usually end having to send them a screenshot of the area and say point out your house and let me know because they'll say Paddy across the road has it (usually on a different road) and Mary next to me (who usually ends up being 500m down the road), can you find them? Groan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Trying to help out the mother with this one. According to fibrerollout (and airwire) check, her house is activated for Rural FTTH.

She is stuck on staying with Eir (new things are scary etc.) but even though the house passes the eir.ie Eircode check, the landline check gives "Although your area is enabled for eir Fibre broadband, it looks like it hasn't reached your address yet.". Some attempts already made on her part to try and resolve this "conundrum" but any guidance on who to talk to/what to do to try and resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

I am sure plenty said on this previously (mostly not good, going by Eir's reputation) but got through numerous searches/reading here and none the wiser thus far.

I had a sales team come knocking. I suspect they get a commission because they were very keen to say I could very likely have the fibre run to the chimney and to smooth over a few other issues with assurances. I suspect if you could get in contact with the sales team that has that area they would make it happen.

Usually end having to send them a screenshot of the area and say point out your house and let me know because they'll say Paddy across the road has it (usually on a different road) and Mary next to me (who usually ends up being 500m down the road), can you find them? Groan

It gets worse. I have so far identified 10+ areas, where they've forgot to document DPs. They've been enabled since. But that's like clusters of 20-30 houses every single time. And they got enabled, because we send in DP numbers, pictures, maps and in some cases up to 5 year old phone numbers to find matching ard-keys .. or ordered a freakin phone line first, to get an ard-key. Just to port it to VoIP afterwards.

/M

And yet the postman knows where to post the mail - amazing really :D

Can imagine German bureaucrats visiting the likes of Revenue and having a coronary.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I had a sales team come knocking. I suspect they get a commission because they were very keen to say I could very likely have the fibre run to the chimney and to smooth over a few other issues with assurances. I suspect if you could get in contact with the sales team that has that area they would make it happen.

They won't do chimney installs - come across that a few times. You may get lucky and the tech will do but its most certainly not the norm and a reason for refusal for an install
    But thats sales guys for ye

And yeah they get commission for every sale - even tho they feck up most of them and end up having to be reordered

Can imagine German bureaucrats visiting the likes of Revenue and having a coronary.

Actually .. you would think the invasion of germans (even if it's just for holiday homes) would have helped Cork and South Kerry getting more organised (no puns intended) :p

/M

and end up having to be reordered

I knew there was a reason you like reordering orders :)

/M

I knew there was a reason you like reordering orders :)

/M

I don't get any commission :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I imagine she will initially want to "keep" her landline (though no doubt ending up with VoBB when Eir decide they don't want to bother with legacy at some point) so getting records merged seems quickest way to actually do an order via Eir directly subsequently. I assume going to OE directly is generally not an option since they'll only deal with ISPs?

Anyone have experience on "easiest" way to get to a relevant person for such a request (number, email, social media account etc) or does it being Eir basically ensure a day spent in a circle of hell? Also, I see a number of items/pieces of information that may be needed/help, any guidance on priority things to have at hand? All assistance greatly appreciated thus far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement