Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I don't see how I'd fit anything into the duct. Looks like it's just wide enough for the wire it's carrying. Could be a wider duct further underground carrying that!

Pic for reference: https://i.imgur.com/k8VAALEh.jpg

Sorry think I'm derailing this thread a bit. Should have created my own. Thanks all for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So I found that the copper wire comes up at the side of the house approx 30 metres from the pole. The duct goes through the hill and under the decking and comes up there. I can see this being a problem now because under the decking there is plastic sheeting etc. Anyone have experience with this kind of setup? Would the engineer string a fibre cable from the pole over directly and avoid the duct if he couldn't get access?

Have added more pics one outlining the top of the fibre pole. http://imgur.com/a/2Lqy2ZT

That pic shows 240V mains power and has nothing to do with a phone connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

@adocholiday: I think you need to take off an internal phone socket face plate and observe where the cabling for that goes, then follow it until you find where it enters the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

cnocbui wrote: »
    That pic shows 240V mains power and has nothing to do with a phone connection.

As cnocbui says that is electrical wiring and is potentially deadly (it looks like some of the live conductor is exposed). Please do not injure yourself messing with this. Get someone qualified to take a look if you are not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Guessing there is no way to check if your duct is clear in preparation, when it will be connecting to underground DP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

chris_ie wrote: »
    Guessing there is no way to check if your duct is clear in preparation, when it will be connecting to underground DP?

Rent some rods from your local hire centre if you want to check. Or run a draw cable, I used paracord, tied a plastic bag to it and used a hoover to suck it through the duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Rent some rods from your local hire centre if you want to check. Or run a draw cable, I used paracord, tied a plastic bag to it and used a hoover to suck it through the duct.

The problem, I was thinking, would be not having access to the other end of the duct which is underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Have an engineer coming out tomorrow. I thought that the engineer came out initially to see what needs to be done before coming back and installing fully.

Guy from Eir rang saying it was being installed tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Have an engineer coming out tomorrow. I thought that the engineer came out initially to see what needs to be done before coming back and installing fully.

Guy from Eir rang saying it was being installed tomorrow?

The first visit is treated as a survey. If there is no problems, you get installed there and then.

The only reason they specified it like that is, that you won't get charged extra on the first fail. If there are further failed installation visits after that that are down to your own doing (or not having done the prep-work) there would be additional charges.

/M

Rather misleading headline in the Irish Times about Pure Telecom. They have been selling open eir FTTH for a while now so I presume this is just a change in their backhaul arrangements. Perhaps Pure will also begin selling on SIRO as well?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/pure-telecom-to-bring-high-speed-broadband-to-rural-ireland-1.3670935

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

Is there any FTTH in Dublin City ? I’m in D7, cabinet nearest me is 50m and is green/active on the map linked in this thread. But when I contact Eir for instance they only offer 100mb. I’m with virgin currently but it’s gotten extremely bad this year. 5 outages alone this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ondafly wrote: »
    Is there any FTTH in Dublin City ? I’m in D7, cabinet nearest me is 50m and is green/active on the map linked in this thread. But when I contact Eir for instance they only offer 100mb. I’m with virgin currently but it’s gotten extremely bad this year. 5 outages alone this month.

The 100Mb service is probably a better option. Above 50 down 20 up reliability matters a lot more.

SIRO has over 22k premises around Dublin enabled, but OpenEIR only have VDSL (fibre to the cabinet, so max 100 Mbit/s) unless it's covered by the early urban development or it's a brand new estate, where they didn't bother putting copper in.

Then again, anything 50 and up is plenty for most.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

Thanks for the info lads. I couldn’t drop down to 100. Heavy usage here unfortunately. The road I’m on is built around the 1950s so I guess not on the top of the list for a rollout.

Might look into a dual wan setup with magnet/Eir maybe and route differently based on machines....starting to feel like being in work but these constant outages are getting really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Probably a very stupid question, is there anyway of finding out when an area might be rolled out? I am part of the eir 300k rollout.

We have gone from late 2017 to spring 2018 to late 2018. They came and cut away the branches from around the existing copper lines about 6 months ago but not a thing since. Not a sign of a KN van....

Might look into a dual wan setup with magnet/Eir maybe and route differently based on machines....starting to feel like being in work but these constant outages are getting really bad.

2 lines would depend on if there are enough paths, but having a backup is always a good plan.

/M

Cushtie wrote: »
    Probably a very stupid question, is there anyway of finding out when an area might be rolled out? I am part of the eir 300k rollout.

We have gone from late 2017 to spring 2018 to late 2018. They came and cut away the branches from around the existing copper lines about 6 months ago but not a thing since. Not a sign of a KN van....

No. Since they have abandoned fibrerollout there is really no way of knowing (and it was not great to begin with). As you say the best way is watching out for work taking place in your area. It generally takes place in stages, tree cutting > pole replacement > access chamber renovations > cabling > distribution point fitting.

Unfortunately it sounds like it will be 2019 before your area is enabled.

One of the things, that came to light during the Mobile and Broadband Taskforce forum is how things actually get shifted around sometimes.

Carolan Lennon explained, that often what they're doing is, that if they run into issues with issues like planning, road closing licenses etc., the teams simply get moved to a different area. And they might not return immediately once the license then is granted pending on where they are at in other areas.

And that's actually the reason, why some areas get enabled quicker than other areas: how quick the council in question responds to licenses required to get the work done.

And while they're being overall delayed on the entire rollout, that seems very often to be the reason why some areas get delayed more than others.

It is a fact, that there is no unified way of dealing with councils and also no unified timeline for license approvals. You'd think they pull all the stops out for this one .. but hey .. tay time first :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Marlow wrote: »
    One of the things, that came to light during the Mobile and Broadband Taskforce forum is how things actually get shifted around sometimes.

Carolan Lennon explained, that often what they're doing is, that if they run into issues with issues like planning, road closing licenses etc., the teams simply get moved to a different area. And they might not return immediately once the license then is granted pending on where they are at in other areas.

And that's actually the reason, why some areas get enabled quicker than other areas: how quick the council in question responds to licenses required to get the work done.

And while they're being overall delayed on the entire rollout, that seems very often to be the reason why some areas get delayed more than others.

It is a fact, that there is no unified way of dealing with councils and also no unified timeline for license approvals. You'd think they pull all the stops out for this one .. but hey .. tay time first :)

/M

Permission was given ages ago in my area - for a September work commencement date - not a jot has happened - they are simply way behind - shocker! Can't believe that some people are waiting a year over due date though that's mad.

turbbo wrote: »
    Permission was given ages ago in my area - for a September work commencement date - not a jot has happened - they are simply way behind - shocker! Can't believe that some people are waiting a year over due date though that's mad.

If permission was late when given in September, crews may already have been allocated otherwise though. I can understand that from OpenEIRs point.

If the crews aren't doing any work ... waiting .. that's wasted money.

So the questions would be:
    - when were the permissions requested ?
    - when were the permissions expected for ?

There is no doubt they're late. And they haven't hit their target most months. Ever.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And what a lot of people don't understand when it comes to such things, expecting it to to take a few weeks to get approval then everyone jumps on the wagon down to their house to do the work. Too many people are a bit selfish in their thinking.
    Same as can you not expedite it with OE - I just say yes I expedite all issues unfortunately there are a 1000 other expedited installs before yours so you're still gonna have to wait.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Same as can you not expedite it with OE - I just say yes I expedite all issues unfortunately there are a 1000 other expedited installs before yours so you're still gonna have to wait.

OE most certainly not an entity, that changes fast to changing parameters. Their standard forecast timeline for any civils needed (even for a premises installation) is 3 months.

Lots of other operators that are much more flexible. OpenEIR just hasn't been able to adapt to a more flexible model.

They don't even react, when you give them weeks notice, where they can save money, as another utility or operator already is doing civils and a license is granted. Instead they turn up 2-3 months later and open the same road again.

It's part of the problem. Not part of the solution.

/M

Well they say 3 months but usually much quicker but that seems to be their default forecast date or a continual month ahead for DP issues that take several months

Well they say 3 months but usually much quicker but that seems to be their default forecast date or a continual month ahead for DP issues that take several months

No. In 5 out of 10 cases they exhaust the 3 months. And in 2 of the 10 cases, it takes 1-2 years. That's personal experience. Unless the customer or provider in question intervenes and comes up with an alternative plan.

/M

Unless the customer or provider in question intervenes and comes up with an alternative plan.
    /M

Well in the rural area there's usually someone who knows someone to get it done...

Well in the rural area there's usually someone who knows someone to get it done...

Amen to that. But no dues to OE. That's down to the desperation of locals.

/M

Forgot to add to that...even when it's done it's usually quicker to cancel the order and start over as OE don't want to listen to you when you say the customer got it sorted (In case any future readers encounter the same)

Forgot to add to that...even when it's done it's usually quicker to cancel the order and start over as OE don't want to listen to you when you say the customer got it sorted (In case any future readers encounter the same)

If the customer got it sorted. Yes. It also negates paying the fee for repeat visits :p

First fail on an order is ALWAYS free.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

If permission was late when given in September, crews may already have been allocated otherwise though. I can understand that from OpenEIRs point.

If the crews aren't doing any work ... waiting .. that's wasted money.

So the questions would be:
    - when were the permissions requested ?
    - when were the permissions expected for ?

There is no doubt they're late. And they haven't hit their target most months. Ever.

/M

I dont have those details but they tried giving my the excuse it was delayed because of permission from council, that turned out to be lies and they apologised and told me they got it mixed up. So when i hear any excuse about anything from eir i take it with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

turbbo wrote: »
    I dont have those details but they tried giving my the excuse it was delayed because of permission from council, that turned out to be lies and they apologised and told me they got it mixed up. So when i hear any excuse about anything from eir i take it with a pinch of salt.

One thing is excuses .. it also depends if they come from Eir .. or directly from OpenEIR.

But the sequence of events certainly make a big difference. And that's what I tried to point out. What Carolan Lennon was saying is pretty spot on. The problem with that is, that once OpenEIR shifts to another area, they're very very slow to change plans and come back. Fact of life.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement