Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

fritzelly wrote: »
    Well we know why August (and July) was bad - everyone on holidays
    If it was in house they would be controlling holiday time - outsourced they are at the mercy of KN
    First storms,now holidays.....what next?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Well we know why August (and July) was bad - everyone on holidays

That was purely an excuse. They play this game every single quarter.
    KOR101 wrote: »

More storms of course.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Whoopsie

gLwFKVR.png

Unlucky for Gartlan and McKeever.

m99T wrote: »
    Unlucky for Gartland and McKeever.

Unlucky also for all of those providers on that mast, that didn't have a backup. And that's quite a few.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How did that happen me wonders

• Advertisement

How did that happen me wonders

Digger. Said company wanted their own ESB feed instead of using site power. 96 core fibre cable to be spliced ..... in 2 ends. Costly.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Digger. Said company wanted their own ESB feed instead of using site power. 96 core fibre cable to be spliced ..... in 2 ends. Costly.

/M

Absolutely wallopers. Didn't know it was the site feed either. I wonder if any other providers on here are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

/M

Pretty much sums up underground cabling in Ireland - no one knows where any of it is

Pretty much sums up underground cabling in Ireland - no one knows where any of it is

This cable was documented. If they had asked for the paperwork. The site was sold not too long ago and is now owned by Cignal. And the fibre build is not that old.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Snow!- that will be next! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This cable was documented. If they had asked for the paperwork. The site was sold not too long ago and is now owned by Cignal. And the fibre build is not that old.

/M

I wonder if it had the cable warning tape above it though?

Are Cignal the lads that bought out all the Coillte masts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Got the storm excuse before the actual storm a week ago - you couldn't make it up - running behind by 2 months so far in my area, I expect it will be at least 6 months if not, more later than scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

here's the BS response from openeir(looks like a copy and paste they're replying to all the people waiting) they initially claimed it was a delay with the local council - which I was able to confirm within 24hrs was total lies, not sure how the complexity changed from day 1 when they announced they were rolling out to 300k - they are an unbearable company in every way but they seem to be the only show in town :-(

"thank you for your resent query regarding the availability of fibre in your area. I’ve taken a look into this further and the licencing was received. Apologies, there was a miscommunication on our side with regards to this. The delay in your area is down to an overall delay in the fibre rollout schedule due to unforeseen weather conditions and the complexity of the FTTH solution. This has led to an extension of the 300k fibre rollout programme to June 2019 which has been agreed with the Department of Communications, Climate Change and Environment. Your premises is still on our build schedule for the second half of 2018 which we plan to deliver within this stage."

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭redunited

They are currently installing FTTH in my area, we only had an upgrade to the existing DSL a couple of years back that increased by speed to 30 MB down and 7 up.

The strangest thing is im not sure if I will get this new FTTH as nobody has knocked on the door to say if we are getting it or not, im also not with eir but Sky so will I still get it if its available or will I need to swap back to eir?

I've also noticed that eir is no longer showing my address or phone number on their checker, according to the checker I can't even get broadband! My details used to show up fine but since that started the work in my village my details seem to have gone missing on their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

redunited wrote: »
    They are currently installing FTTH in my area, we only had an upgrade to the existing DSL a couple of years back that increased by speed to 30 MB down and 7 up.

The strangest thing is im not sure if I will get this new FTTH as nobody has knocked on the door to say if we are getting it or not, im also not with eir but Sky so will I still get it if its available or will I need to swap back to eir?

I've also noticed that eir is no longer showing my address or phone number on their checker, according to the checker I can't even get broadband! My details used to show up fine but since that started the work in my village my details seem to have gone missing on their system.

You'll get it as eircom have agreed with the DCMNR. Go to airwire.ie and click on rural fibre, enter eircode and it'll give you an indication of when it'll be available to order. Add on 1-2 months to that date for it to go live

Go to https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ and click "Check the map", then enter your address to see, if you're planned for FTTH (should have a green or blue house logo). That map is outdated, but it's still a good reference.

To see, if you're actually enabled, you can check http://www.airwire.ie/avail .... that gets updated every week.

And no you don't have to buy of Eir. The companies listed with a little house logo (8 of these) that offer FTTH are listed here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ .. Sky is only trialing at the moment, so you can't get it from them.

/M

You'll get it as eircom have agreed with the DCMNR. Go to airwire.ie and click on rural fibre, enter eircode and it'll give you an indication of when it'll be available to order. Add on 1-2 months to that date for it to go live
    Go to https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ and click "Check the map", then enter your address to see, if you're planned for FTTH (should have a green or blue house logo). That map is outdated, but it's still a good reference.

To see, if you're actually enabled, you can check http://www.airwire.ie/avail .... that gets updated every week.

And no you don't have to buy of Eir. The companies listed with a little house logo (8 of these) that offer FTTH are listed here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ .. Sky is only trialing at the moment, so you can't get it from them.

/M

Thanks all,

I checked Aireire and im puzzled,

According to them, my only option is VDSL Broadband which is what I am currently on, I live about half a mile from the exchange. getting 30mbs download

My father who lives up the road from me further away from the exchange and currently only has 10mbs download is scheduled to get FTTH in November.

Does this look like I won't be getting FTTH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Thanks all,

According to them, my only option is VDSL Broadband which is what I am currently on, I live about half a mile from the exchange. getting 30mbs download

My father who lives up the road from me further away from the exchange and currently only has 10mbs download is scheduled to get FTTH in November.

What did fibrerollout.ie say? Enter your Eircode on check 300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Thanks all,

That's largely how the scheme is supposed to work - to upgrade the speed available for those people who couldn't get a good speed before, so people getting good speeds connected to a fibre cabinet are bypassed to bring decent speeds to those further out.

I have gone from 6.5 mbps to 150 mbps. I used to dream about being lucky enough to get 30.

What did fibrerollout.ie say? Enter your Eircode on check 300k.

According to that Broadband is not available at my address, on the check number option, and on the check rural 300 I get this message,
    Our network upgrade plans can be viewed on this map. As your premise is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband it is included in the National Broadband Plan (NBP). The NBP is a government sponsored programme to deliver high speed broadband to all homes and businesses in Ireland. Further details on the NBP can be found here.

When I check the map is shows my area as live in Green for in a fibre Coverage area.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    That's largely how the scheme is supposed to work - to upgrade the speed available for those people who couldn't get a good speed before, so people getting good speeds connected to a fibre cabinet are bypassed to bring decent speeds to those further out.

I have gone from 6.5 mbps to 150 mbps. I used to dream about being lucky enough to get 30.

It seems crazy though that they bypass me on 30mbs and give people further away 150mbs.

They are laying the cable all over the village though and it is already showing green live on the rollout map like me,they are installing it to over 300 premises which would sound like I would be in the catchment area so still holding out for hope!:D

According to that Broadband is not available at my address, on the check number option, and on the check rural 300 I get this message,

When I check the map is shows my area as live in Green for in a fibre Coverage area.

30Mb is the cutoff for NBP so you could have been really unlucky and gotten left out. That is their modus operandi. They skip the interior of areas if there is existing FTTC coverage at ≥30Mb.

The message saying you are in the NBP is confusing though.

30Mb is the cutoff for NBP so you could have been really unlucky and gotten left out. That is their modus operandi. They skip the interior of areas if there is existing FTTC coverage at ≥30Mb.

The message saying you are in the NBP is confusing though.

It seems very strange, I live on the edge of the village and they say im not commercially viable whilst my father lives on the same road further away about half a mile away and he is commercially viable and getting FTTH.

It seems crazy though that they bypass me on 30mbs and give people further away 150mbs.

They are laying the cable all over the village though and it is already showing green live on the rollout map like me,they are installing it to over 300 premises which would sound like I would be in the catchment area so still holding out for hope!:D

Not crazy. If they spend time connecting you, that's time they are not spending connecting someone like me who was only getting 6.5. They can back-fill later when people on slow connections for decades have been served.

cnocbui wrote: »

Not crazy.  If they spend time connecting you, that's time they are not spending connecting someone like me who was only getting 6.5.  They can back-fill later when people on slow connections for decades have been served.
    I can understand the logic but realistically there can only be about 30-40 houses in the area that are on slow connections whereas there is probably 300 homes plus who are on existing Fibre (VDSL) who would upgrade tomorrow if we could. Surely commercial viability is all about upgrading the bigger customer base for profit instead of connecting a handful of homes with slower broadband.  Hence why the cities always get everything first, (bigger population more profit.)
    Maybe what they should be doing is knocking on doors and upgrading those who want it?

I can understand the logic but realistically there can only be about 30-40 houses in the area that are on slow connections whereas there is probably 300 homes plus who are on existing Fibre (VDSL) who would upgrade tomorrow if we could. Surely commercial viability is all about upgrading the bigger customer base for profit instead of connecting a handful of homes with slower broadband.  Hence why the cities always get everything first, (bigger population more profit.)
    Maybe what they should be doing is knocking on doors and upgrading those who want it?

Profit wasn't the main motive, bringing connection speed equity to a wider population was.

You basically just want people who are/were on 6.5 to stay on 6.5 for the next 15 years while everyone in an urban area is connected to fiber first, because that's where you live and it suits you, even though you and yours are already well served.

Greed is never satisfied.

What stage is the build at in your area? Are there distribution points on the poles (see the linked picture)?

How does the phone line come into your home, is it overhead from a pole or underground?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=453515&d=1529172905

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I can understand the logic but realistically there can only be about 30-40 houses in the area that are on slow connections whereas there is probably 300 homes plus who are on existing Fibre (VDSL) who would upgrade tomorrow if we could.

Multiply that by maybe many hundreds of such situations around the country and it adds up to a sizeable numbers of connections.

So if they connect the likes of you who have 'sufficient' speed according to their agreement with the department, that would mean not connecting the same number approx of those with less speed, and thus they would easily fail in their obligations under the agreement.

Manpower for the roll out is limited .... and is mobile.
    So those working in your area today could be in my area tomorrow.

Surely commercial viability is all about upgrading the bigger customer base for profit instead of connecting a handful of homes with slower broadband.  Hence why the cities always get everything first, (bigger population more profit.)

The commercial viability will come into play when the 300k agreement has been dealt with.

No. The commercial viability is not there.

Because for those who are on VDSL, the equipment cost is not paid off yet. You don't throw equipment out that hasn't reached the end of it's life-span unless you have a very very very valid reason.

And the majority of people, that order FTTH will go for the cheapest package. So the revenue of the VDSL equipment is greater.

Not only that, FTTH requires a complete new build all the way in the house. The installation means, that even after it becomes available a majority of premises stay with their current solution.

So, all in all, there is no real advantage upgrading VDSL customers for them. The ones on rural FTTH are "new" customers. Much greater viability.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ah right , so even if it shows on the airwire site it still can take 1-2 for it to go live?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement