Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Everything is better when there's (at least) six cylinders under the bonnet:D!

Do you like bm 6s?!??!??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Do you like bm 6s?!??!??

Just a small bit :pac:!

Actually, mine really isn't all that lovely at the moment, it needs rear wheel bearings, a fuel filter and a guibo pretty soon (they're going to be done next month, way too busy to go to Cork to Fionnsport this month) , longer term it needs a drop link at the front, Inspection 2 and a few other bits and bobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Just a small bit :pac:!

Actually, mine really isn't all that lovely at the moment, it needs rear wheel bearings, a fuel filter and a guibo pretty soon (they're going to be done next month, way too busy to go to Cork to Fionnsport this month) , longer term it needs a drop link at the front, Inspection 2 and a few other bits and bobs.

Text me and I will get the bits for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

0GkNpP4.jpg

New tyres arrived this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

If they did a "New tyre" air freshener I'd honestly buy it

• Advertisement

I've been driving a diesel gt line Peugeot 5008 for the few hundred miles just gone.

Peach of an engine all considered, I presume it's 2.0. It has a simple feature that I love, a really tall 6th gear.... 2500 rpm isn't seen until 140kph + ish....it's below 2000rpm at 120kph.

I've not been gentle with it and the trip computer reckons its doing 5.5l/100kph. Trip comp B which seemingly has never been reset states 7.6l/100km over 9999kms. I've been on autobahn for half of my jaunt so far. Must have done loads of city work to get mid 30s mpg over that far.

The annoying bits.... the steering wheel blocks out all the details on the stalks for wipers, cruise control etc & also blocks out some dash display unless you put it on the lowest ht setting. The stalk detail is blocked out regardless....can't fathom how that got through a design assessment or further TBH.

Metal flicky type switches to get radio, temp control etc on centre screen. Not unlike an early bmw mini .... nice ish in a wtf sort of way in 2018 :)

Nice drive though.... the front wheels have a bit to do though and they can get unsettled from take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Is that the new model? Very nice looking car

I'm not at all sure TBH. Rental with 11k kms up on it. Think it probably is from a quick Google.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT42fncrhqmCbNw07T4BZN-ktU2v_TfSUREHA4TqGFcxGus5NWe

..... good pic to show the elusive stalks & associated detail

Defo tending more to car then SUV imo after giving it back. Don't have to climb into it at all and seating position not much higher then an actual car.

It's actually at 2500rpm in 6th at 160kph (read from independent nav, not the car)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

So I was working late last night, and the roads were wet and quiet. I have a few roundabouts on bypasses on my way home so thought I would try the 3 series in sport plus and see how it handles too much throttle. The car has xdrive, and this was the first time I pushed a 4wd BM to slip. Car definitely is still rear biased, and felt like it was rwd with just more push out of the corner, probably coming from the front pulling it out. Interesting how different it is to a haldex system, which I could never get to behave like that. Really please with it so far, will be interesting how it handles a cold winter now.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd say there wasn't a check point in sight yesterday, after the rds horse show. The amount of cars I had to dodge on the n7, they all stood out as they had their fancy hats up by the back window. Not a care in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm changing my 260km commute for a 9km commute. Still have the superb, will this end well? I'll still be doing frequent enough long journeys but will the day to day 9km each way kill it? 1.9 pd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm changing my 260km commute for a 9km commute. Still have the superb, will this end well? I'll still be doing frequent enough long journeys but will the day to day 9km each way kill it? 1.9 pd

Those engines don't have a DPF at all do they? That's a big advantage, but I'd still give it a good horsing once a week or so to keep the soot levels down.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Those engines don't have a DPF at all do they? That's a big advantage, but I'd still give it a good horsing once a week or so to keep the soot levels down.

No DPF, it will still definitely be getting at least one good long drive a week

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look what I came across today.....

Parked van took off and headed for playground below....

Tree saved the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Isn’t it essentially worthless at this stage as you paid small money for it and have put big miles on it since so makes no sense for you to change it because of commute being shorter and that aside at this stage I doubt it will be the 9km drives that kill it and since you are doing the odd long drive I would say drive it until it stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Last night, Rhincrew roundabout out Youghal.
    Tyre marks for 40ish feet on the wrong side of the road coming into roundabout.
    Looks like they fell asleep or something.
    Cars are abandoned on that roundabout every so often so a common enough sight.

292b2uw.jpg

CIP4 wrote: »
    Isn’t it essentially worthless at this stage as you paid small money for it and have put big miles on it since so makes no sense for you to change it because of commute being shorter and that aside at this stage I doubt it will be the 9km drives that kill it and since you are doing the odd long drive I would say drive it until it stops.

Yeah it's got 403,000km on it now, but tax is up at the end of this month and it needs an NCT at the end of September. Might put it in for the NCT early and see what it needs. if it needs a lot I'll just drive it till the nct is out and send it on its way. Although tbh even if it needed 500 spent on it I wouldn't get a replacement for that. If the low mileage day to day isn't much to worry about if I'll be doing the few long spins then I will just keep on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Yeah it's got 403,000km on it now, but tax is up at the end of this month and it needs an NCT at the end of September. Might put it in for the NCT early and see what it needs. if it needs a lot I'll just drive it till the nct is out and send it on its way. Although tbh even if it needed 500 spent on it I wouldn't get a replacement for that. If the low mileage day to day isn't much to worry about if I'll be doing the few long spins then I will just keep on with it.

I'm doing about the same distance of a commute in my Superb, ok mines petrol. But the comfort is worth keeping, even if it needs a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Steve320

Is it a diesel or petrol vrs ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Got the insurance renewal today, nearly €1300. Paid €700 last year when I had the 520d, was expecting it to be higher on the 530d but not that high. First random online quote from Allianz I got there is coming in at €886 with the same cover. I'll give them a ring tomorrow as I have the house insured with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Wailin

Did you try FBD bazz? Found them very good and better to call rather than use online.

FBD and the AA won't quote me online at all. I'm 44 with a clean license for 19 years and full NCB. You would swear a 530d was some sort of super car the carry on of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    Got the insurance renewal today, nearly €1300. Paid €700 last year when I had the 520d, was expecting it to be higher on the 530d but not that high. First random online quote from Allianz I got there is coming in at €886 with the same cover. I'll give them a ring tomorrow as I have the house insured with them too.

If you have a relative a teacher/nurse etc such as a parent or sibling try Cornmarket. They are VERY competitive.

Unfortunately I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I'm absolutely dreading mine in the next week or two :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Allianz are really giving good quotes lately I know a load of people with them this year. I’m with them 2 years in a row, which never happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Unfortunately I don't.

Allianz weren't too bad when I switched over to the 330d to he honest. Was an extra 40 quid with about 6 months left. If you have any other policies with them they give additional discount which can he handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My renewal quote from AIG came and I was pleasantly surprised as it wasn't the usual arm and a leg.
    €455 fully comp with bonus protection and windscreen cover without me lifting a finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Unfortunately I don't.

Try An Post / Post Insure.

€520 for me on the 420d last week! And I’m a little younger than you ;) I think they are AIG under the covers.

I switched from Allianz who were next best, around €60 quid more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement