Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,170 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Allianz are really giving good quotes lately I know a load of people with them this year. I’m with them 2 years in a row, which never happens.

They are the cheapest online so far. I went with KennCo last year as they were by far the cheapest at the time. I guess they are trying to recoup that get you in the door offer in the second year or are not interested in anything that veers any off from run of the mill.
    Allianz weren't too bad when I switched over to the 330d to he honest. Was an extra 40 quid with about 6 months left. If you have any other policies with them they give additional discount which can he handy.

I paid €160 to move over from the 520d to 530d back in April for the remainder of the policy so was thinking that it would come in at around 1k at renewal. I have a house insurance policy with Allianz so will be giving them a ring tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

My sister in law is a teacher and tried An Post and they beat cornmarket and FBD hands down.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Try An Post / Post Insure.

€520 for me on the 420d last week! And I’m a little younger than you ;) I think they are AIG under the covers.

I switched from Allianz who were next best, around €60 quid more.

AnPost want €1450.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If you have a relative a teacher/nurse etc such as a parent or sibling try Cornmarket. They are VERY competitive.

Any idea on their stance regarding 15 year old cars. I'm thinking of moving to them come renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

bazz26 wrote: »
    AnPost want €1450.

WTF?! :eek:

Does not make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm absolutely dreading mine in the next week or two :rolleyes:

Mine came down considerably this year, I have a feeling there was some change in the last year with older cars. FIngers crossed for you dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Got the car serviced today. On the report when paying they mentioned front disks need doing as the pad is not making full contact with the rotor, this is on the inside of the disk so not obvious when looking at the wheels. I asked for a price for that job. The price of parts is below:
    IMG_20180814_200654.jpg

Google tells me that my front disks are 370mm per that part number. Any thoughts on going genuine disks vs likes of mintex? Internet is full of different opinions, so I thought I'd ask here, ye know, on da internetz....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I'm absolutely dreading mine in the next week or two :rolleyes:

Put your parents on your policy. I got mine down from 980 to about 650 by adding both..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

job seeker wrote: »
    Put your parents on your policy. I got mine down from 980 to about 650 by adding both..

Axa do free insurance for over 65's with both parents as named drivers :D

JoeA3 wrote: »
    WTF?! :eek:

Does not make sense.

I can better that, Liberty want €2259. Lol.

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Got the car serviced today. On the report when paying they mentioned front disks need doing as the pad is not making full contact with the rotor, this is on the inside of the disk so not obvious when looking at the wheels. I asked for a price for that job. The price of parts is below:
    IMG_20180814_200654.jpg

Google tells me that my front disks are 370mm per that part number. Any thoughts on going genuine disks vs likes of mintex? Internet is full of different opinions, so I thought I'd ask here, ye know, on da internetz....

Is that including the 20% discount? Did you compare it to the price from bmwservice.ie? I know on the F10 it is recommend to replace with OEM discs as other ones don't last pissing time, not sure about the F30/31 though. Might be worth getting a price for OEM from a good BMW indy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

tossy wrote: »
    Axa do free insurance for over 65's with both parents as named drivers :D

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Weird Liberty were the cheapest for last year anyway. I will see in November, 20 year old car and Jap import.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

The mother is already named, adding my dad would've increased it!
    Mine came down considerably this year, I have a feeling there was some change in the last year with older cars. FIngers crossed for you dude.

That's the hope! I'll still have a month to sort it but at the same time my tax is due at the end of the month too and I finally got the new VANOS unit today so that'll have to be fitted at some point :pac:

Any idea on their stance regarding 15 year old cars. I'm thinking of moving to them come renewal time.

My volvo is 12 years old and there wasn't an issue. Sorry I can't be anymore help.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    IMG_20180814_200654.jpg

Mintex are decent enough but I would go for a brand like Textar. They are OE BMW suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Mintex are decent enough but I would go for a brand like Textar. They are OE BMW suppliers.

I'd add Pagid and ATE to that list too, ATE were always a big supplier to them and Pagid I know come on the new M5 stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Weird Liberty were the cheapest for last year anyway. I will see in November, 20 year old car and Jap import.

I was with liberty for last 3 years upto this years renewal they were always cheapest for me but was still paying 1200-1400 due to being young. But Aviva were €400 cheaper than Liberty this year so ended up paying €840 which I thought I was very good as I am still only 24.

I have always got ridiculous quotes from Liberty no matter what I was trying to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was with liberty for 4 years until last renewal - they insured everything from an 18 year old peugeot to a new leaf and were always the cheapest.

This year I switched to Campions as they were cheaper.

Moral - always shop around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sure I've seen online quotes over €4k. 27 w/ 10 years NCB on a 320Cd.

25plus wanted nearly 3k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The mother is already named, adding my dad would've increased it!

I went to add my mum to my policy and it put the price up. I was told it was due to her age as she is in her 70s!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Same as above, adding a parent bumped mine up instead of down.
    First time driver, 24, 09 Fiesta, passed test last week and only decent quote I got was off Kennco, everywhere else was looking for 3k+ and I ended up getting it for 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I devalued my car last year..as you do each year, insurance went up, put it back in as the same value as previous, it came down, so it's at the same value as when I bought it as a year old car, 2 years ago, (I know they wouldn't pay that price in a fit though)
    How do they do their quotes?

selous wrote: »
    I devalued my car last year..as you do each year, insurance went up, put it back in as the same value as previous, it came down, so it's at the same value as when I bought it as a year old car, 2 years ago, (I know they wouldn't pay that price in a fit though)
    How do they do their quotes?

My 06, 148k miler, 1080 to tax Volvo S60 which is worth less than my new runners is valued at 10k for insurance reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

I can't wait to see what my insurance will be like for a first time driver :/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My 06, 148k miler, 1080 to tax Volvo S60 which is worth less than my new runners is valued at 10k for insurance reasons.

Yep, mine is 5k. Once you go below that it shoots up. Mine isn't worth a pack of tayto...

So I did a bit more insurance shopping today.

Rang my current insurer to see how much they could reduce the renewal by, they came down to €1070 from €1290. Tried Campion and First Ireland both coming in above 1k for basic full comp. Add on things like windscreen cover, breakdown assist & NCB protection and it gets more expensive than my renewal. Chill and 123 all coming in at over 1k.

Rang a broker in Limerick I was with for a few years and they could get me basic full comp for €815 but there was no option on the policy to drive other cars via third party extension. I don't drive other cars frequently but it's a handy feature to have occasionally when needed. Broker mentioned the "large" 3.0 litre engine limits my options for a "reasonable" premium, you really got to love this country.

Rang Allianz who gave me the best quote of €886 online which covers everything I have now, to see if I could get a lower price as I have a home insurance policy with them. They told me that their online prices are as low as they will go with max discounts applied. They quoted me over the phone with the exact same details as online and it was coming in at a shade under 1k. I'm going to leave it for a few days but looks like I'll be going with Allianz this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

BDJW wrote: »
    I went to add my mum to my policy and it put the price up. I was told it was due to her age as she is in her 70s!

What age did she have you?! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Got into the car at 5.15pm and only out of it about 10 minutes. Ended up driving from work to kilkenny, dublin airport, Limerick and back to kilkenny with a few short stops in between. 550km and I was grand getting out of it, it really is a great car for long journey most cars I would really feel anything more than 200km in them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement