Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What age did she have you?! :eek:

Not everyone is in their twenties dude

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CIP4 wrote: »
    Got into the car at 5.15pm and only out of it about 10 minutes. Ended up driving from work to kilkenny, dublin airport, Limerick and back to kilkenny with a few short stops in between. 550km and I was grand getting out of it, it really is a great car for long journey most cars I would really feel anything more than 200km in them.
    Its for long trips like this that the OEM seats and comforts are most important I remember driving over 1000km in a day in an e60 bmw and while most people complain about the OEM MSport suspension setup being too harsh I found that it worked well and delivered sufficient comfort and dampening as devised by the OEM so it is true it really depends not just on the car manufacturer and model but also trim and spec levels while a bugbear of mine is cheap wipers people always seem to replace the oem wipers with cheap tesco value ones and they just dont do the job when the bugs mount on the windscreen enmasse :cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What age did she have you?! :eek:
    Big Nasty wrote: »

I'm not old, but I wish I was still in my 20s!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

OSI wrote: »
    3k on the clock and seeing a long term average of 5.6l/100km (50mpg). Fuel savings alone each month aren't far off paying for the car itself. Makes me feel damn old saying it, but it really puts the "head over heart" thing into tangible perspective.

This is where you need a weekend Golf GTI to offset the savings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

OSI wrote: »
    3k on the clock and seeing a long term average of 5.6l/100km (50mpg). Fuel savings alone each month aren't far off paying for the car itself. Makes me feel damn old saying it, but it really puts the "head over heart" thing into tangible perspective.

3k, already?! :eek:

As much as i'd fight tooth and nail not to succumb to the same fate, I must say it sounds like you made the right decision in this instance, without a doubt.

Put those savings aside and buy yourself a nice weekend weapon in a year or two, when you're not in danger of wrapping it around a pole due to 3am feed/nappy changing induced exhaustion. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Speaking of economy, went for a spin to glendalough during the week and, for once, drove the 535d with a very light foot. Couldn't believe the difference in consumption where normally it settles between 38-40 mpg. This was in sport mode, not eco, so would have easily went into low 50's.

44053659681_0bd432a7d4_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I see there was an unofficial boards meet recently:

39223255_2254454057930607_3189478323583451136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4bfb61c894f2bcbe031b1801d460e508&oe=5BF9AE90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Given the choice would people prefer to drive their own car on the continent or a rental. I'm after cocking up some travel arrangements and have half convinced myself to get a boat to France and spend a few days driving to my destination. Boat price is working out less than fly in and get rental. Rental would mean about 500km less driving, but in some dire econobox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Big Nasty wrote: »
    BDJW wrote: »
    I'm not old, but I wish I was still in my 20s!

Apologies! Neither am I unfortunately.

I just thought from your post you were a first time driver/teenager :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Apologies! Neither am I unfortunately.

I just thought from your post you were a first time driver/teenager :)

Nah, I've been driving cars for 12 years, and was driving bikes for 5 years before that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

BDJW wrote: »
    Nah, I've been driving cars for 12 years, and was driving bikes for 5 years before that!

Riding ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Looking for discs here for my own car. Anyone know why this eBay price is much cheaper than other online shops? £256 vs £390
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-OE-Textar-Coated-High-Carbon-Front-Brake-Discs-Pair-Set-92265425/352166091485?itemId=352166091485

https://m.onlinecarparts.co.uk/textar-8036707.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's eBay. They're probably made from tin foil.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Looking for discs here for my own car. Anyone know why this eBay price is much cheaper than other online shops? £256 vs £390
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-OE-...d=352166091485

https://m.onlinecarparts.co.uk/textar-8036707.html

Link broken for the ebay one. There's "..." in the middle of the link for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Paudee wrote: »
    Given the choice would people prefer to drive their own car on the continent or a rental. I'm after cocking up some travel arrangements and have half convinced myself to get a boat to France and spend a few days driving to my destination. Boat price is working out less than fly in and get rental. Rental would mean about 500km less driving, but in some dire econobox.

I drove mine over to France in April and loved it, they have great roads over there! Even though my car half acted the bollix it was much better than what I may have gotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Paudee wrote: »

Alone or with someone else? Not for the company but purely practicality dealing with toll booths and car parks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Marcusm wrote: »
    Alone or with someone else? Not for the company but purely practicality dealing with toll booths and car parks!

With my OH, she's only half vetoing it so I better do some maths.

The whole 30ish mpg driving 1000 miles would probably take from the experience more than I can justify. Maybe. Ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Out of the country on a work trip and got a W212 E250 CDI as a taxi to the airport earlier.

Christ is that engine noisy, shaky and just downright unrefined. It's not refined enough for a Fiesta let alone a Mercedes-Benz. The BMW four cylinder diesel is far superior, except for the stop start - the Mercedes system is far more discrete (but you'd still notice it in operation).

The rest of the car is superb, though. I'd actually say it's a nicer car to travel in than an F10 520d, better legroom, nicer interior materials and more comfortable over the bumps. The car I was in had 228,000 miles yet the interior felt like it had done maybe 100,000 miles and there wasn't even a hint of a rattle, so clearly it's built like the Mercedes of old.

It really needs a petrol or a six cylinder diesel though (I know from past experience that Merc's V6 diesel has the levels of smoothness and quietness that a car with a Mercedes badge should have), that engine's refinement really lets the car down. Thank goodness that 2.1 litre diesel is no longer available in the E-class. It's not very fast either for something with 201 bhp on tap, a 520d feels quicker despite the power and torque gap.

I'd expect an F10 is far nicer to drive as well, as a passengers it does feel far more floaty and barge like than an F10 even on SE suspension (but I have no evidence whatsoever to back that statement up other than my own BMW ownership induced bias), and the F10 on SE suspension feels big, heavy and distinctly unsporting compared to older BMWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Mercedes have really upped the game with the interior, streets ahead of BMW and Audi. Exterior on amg line is very striking too. But i feel they are behind BMW when it comes to engines, especially 6 cylinder.

• Advertisement

It really needs a petrol or a six cylinder diesel though .

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Missing a bolt on my caliper - where would you got to pick up a single bolt?

Fascinating article on CAR, a comparison of the 530i, 530d and 530e.

Unsurprisingly the diesel uses the least amount of fuel on the motorway, but the 530i comes very close (only 4 mpg off) and the extra weight of the 530e means once the batteries are depleted it's actually the worst of the trio for mpg.

Around hilly Edinburgh (and fully charged) the 530e goes 50% further on a gallon of fuel than the others but still only does 30 mpg, hardly earth shattering stuff.

The killer stat for a company car tax payer in the UK (who are the people who buy these kind of cars new): the 530e is £5,000 a year less to tax than the diesel. No wonder people are buying them, but even the 530i is cheaper on company car tax over there than the 530d, which I found surprising. I'd forgotten just how cheap plug-ins are to run for company car tax payers over there.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/bmwelectricpowers/

I've an e class or similar booked for two trips later in the year, I haven't driven any modern yoke of that ilk.

Regarding 4 cyl diesel engine noise.... the 2.2 in the sorento is seriously crude at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭selectamatic

No Ford Transit? Seamus Moore will be bitterly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Missing a bolt on my caliper - where would you got to pick up a single bolt?

The Bolt Company ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Tom Hardly

Out of the country on a work trip and got a W212 E250 CDI as a taxi to the airport earlier.

Christ is that engine noisy, shaky and just downright unrefined. It's not refined enough for a Fiesta let alone a Mercedes-Benz. The BMW four cylinder diesel is far superior, except for the stop start - the Mercedes system is far more discrete (but you'd still notice it in operation).

The rest of the car is superb, though. I'd actually say it's a nicer car to travel in than an F10 520d, better legroom, nicer interior materials and more comfortable over the bumps. The car I was in had 228,000 miles yet the interior felt like it had done maybe 100,000 miles and there wasn't even a hint of a rattle, so clearly it's built like the Mercedes of old.

It really needs a petrol or a six cylinder diesel though (I know from past experience that Merc's V6 diesel has the levels of smoothness and quietness that a car with a Mercedes badge should have), that engine's refinement really lets the car down. Thank goodness that 2.1 litre diesel is no longer available in the E-class. It's not very fast either for something with 201 bhp on tap, a 520d feels quicker despite the power and torque gap.

I'd expect an F10 is far nicer to drive as well, as a passengers it does feel far more floaty and barge like than an F10 even on SE suspension (but I have no evidence whatsoever to back that statement up other than my own BMW ownership induced bias), and the F10 on SE suspension feels big, heavy and distinctly unsporting compared to older BMWs.

Spent a bit of time in Germany myself in their taxis (perhaps similar to where you are) and to be fair comparing one 4 cylinder diesel to another seems a bit pointless - they're all the same really, probably the same to drive too!

Been lurking a while here and have registered to keep in touch with irish motoring enthusiasts as i travel a bit and get bored so hello :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Welcome Tom, the more the merrier.

Captainspeed, I bet you a tenner you can't go 10 posts without talking about a 6 cylinder engine! LOL!!

• Advertisement

Welcome Tom, the more the merrier.

Captainspeed, I bet you a tenner you can't go 10 posts without talking about a 6 cylinder engine! LOL!!

Just as well I don't own a V8 so, imagine how bad I'd be if I did :D:eek:!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement