Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Did anyone help her? Sounds like she was left to it.

Loads of raised eyebrows but no help.
    Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I know a guy who had a 07/08 Range Rover and it went up in flames one day last year as he was driving it. Smoke from under the bonnet pulled over and within a minute the whole thing had gone up on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Help with what exactly? Once the kids were out of the car I wouldn’t be putting myself into the path of a flaming car

• Registered Users Posts: 21,694 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Help with what exactly? Once the kids were out of the car I wouldn’t be putting myself into the path of a flaming car
    Short of calling the fire brigade or p1ssing on the car to put out the flames I can't see how anyone else could have helped really.

Well it seems this all took a minute or so +.... a fire extinguisher or two was no doubt nearby.

Watching a lady move a car with an underbonnet fire after she got her kids to safety & unhitched a horsebox wouldn't be my path if action TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The forecourt staff told everyone to leave the forecourt of fear of a pump going up in flames.

Anyone in or near their cars told to get to safety while two or three did help un-hitch the horsebox from the Jeep.

She was told strangely enough to move it away from the pump out of fear of an explosion being right at the pumps. So as quickly as she could, foot down out the exit and up the off ramp exit of the N11 . People ran out to stop traffic to get her out quickly and kept traffic away from the exit ramp until the emergency crew showed up.

So the kids were clear and the thing did go up fairly quickly in flames and although people did want to help they were to busy pretty much evacuating the site.

Fire birgade were called immediately again by staff so yes she got as much help as possible giving the situation.

I wouldn't be too sure on fire extinguishers. Knowing that garage well there are atleast 2 on the forecourt itself but I didn't see anyone go for them, possibly they might have being pointless or too much of a risk giving the size and escalation of the fire.

Is this a common thing with those jeeps ? I think this was a 2005/2006 model

• Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There was a recall on those years and years ago where the high pressure fuel pump could cause a fire. Not sure what engine it was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There was a recall on those years and years ago where the high pressure fuel pump could cause a fire. Not sure what engine it was though.

Thing is, this particular one was an 05 or 06

It's over 12 years old, I thought if it was an electrical issue or an item under recall that it'd gone up in flames years ago as opposed to now

What got me at first was when a bit of steam came from the bonnet, she wasn't worried or bothered by it until it got much worse, so I'm wondering was there a bit of "it'll be grand" going on or an object caught in the under body etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I was overtaken by a V8 RR last thursday in wales. Fairly well over the limit. Passed him 15 minutes later, pulled into the hard shoulder with bluey smoke comming from the bonnet. Not sure what year but that same model.

A Range Rover V8 and a Discovery V6 aren’t the same though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

There was a RR Sport on the family fleet a few years ago and it was possibly the most unreliable car I have ever known. Head gasket issues, electrical problems and all seriously expensive things. A Discovery preceded it and it never gave a moments bother. My God they both drank diesel at an alarming rate!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You are not going to put out that fire with two handheld fire extinguishers. If everybody is already out and their is no danger to life you leave it alone.

The fire didn't just start as per the photo, obviously enough. I'd not like to see someone drive off in a car on fire TBH.....each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tanker explosion after pile up in Italy today:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1026498418410250240

I'd say the guy in the white car at the end must have **** himself, thinking he could drive around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Holy sh1tsnacks!! :eek: That’s scary stuff.

Two dead and at least 60 injured. :(

Bill Cullen's Premier cars is closed? Passed there today, showroom empty.

I saw him on the N7 heading in to work presumably gone 8.30 some morning a few months ago.

I hope he's well anyway....a tough few years he had.

I wondered how long that arrangement would stay going when Pino Harris passed away around this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some serious crash there.

Then tankers should only have the newest tech trucks pulling them and drivers paid enough and given good time off to rest.

No phone should be able to work in cab either.

He never even braked.

I was thinking that might have been a factor. Bill also had fiat commercial too though which would have been independent of Mr Harris?

Bill never seemed to have much second hand stuff and it was slow to shift too....and no service facility. Sort of half arsed with both the new and second hand facets of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Just ordered these off tyreleader for the E30.
    Uniroyal Rainsport 3 205/55 R15 88V (Passenger summer) 4
    Full price including VAT : 333.72 €

It has a staggered 195/55 front and 205/50 back setup at the moment. Going back to the original size tyres for the 7j 15's. Hoping it will be a better setup with no rubbing.

• Advertisement

On holidays in Cyprus some variety of Petrol cars here really 80% plus of cars must be petrol even all the A4 B6, B7, B8 and B9 I have seen are all TFSI I haven't actually seen a diesel one polar opposite to Ireland really same with Golfs and all common cars really. However most of the national fleet here is fairly bet and 10-15 years old would be a normal enough age for a car very little new stuff compared to Ireland. But then car finance is non existent here well you could get a car loan if you are willing to put your house down as collateral. That summed with very low wages and the island never really recovering from recession means new cars are a fantasy for most.

Although I have been driving my Aunty and Uncles Ateca while I am over here which they got new last year brand new it tends to stand out where ever you go as its so new.

I've never heard an adult say "my aunty...."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Augeo wrote: »
    I've never heard an adult say "my aunty...."

Where do you live? or do you not get out much?

It's like an adult calling their ole lad "daddy" from my experience....possibly OK for d4 birds

• Registered Users Posts: 22,098 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Augeo wrote: »
    It's like an adult calling their ole lad "daddy" from my experience....possibly OK for d4 birds

Mother. Of. God.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

If you've nothing nice to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Something else must have burnt out on the N/M11 recently too as there's a big burn patch on the hard shoulder near the exit for Arklow/Inch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Discussion of proposed motor tax changes has been moved to its own thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057899193#

• Advertisement

Anyone know are these V6 or V8 I know the RS6 is V8 but unsure about the S6 or is it actually the same engine just detuned as the RS6 is something like 560BHP S6 is 414bhp.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/s6/31365792071445

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement