Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I had the same in Dunnes yesterday.

I got the push notifications about successful payments yet the terminal said EMV payment unsuccessful.

Within minutes I than got notified that the transaction was reverted.

Used it than again successfully in a restaurant without a problem.

I used the card several times today without a problem, so it seems sporadic or they don't allow supermarket spending today.

Seams to be wide spread if you believe Twitter, at the same time however it worked fine for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Same issue myself in Finland - happened on Friday morning also, as well as last night in a supermarket.

Weirdly the card worked fine yesterday afternoon in a restaurant

And my vault is filling up nicely !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I had also used the card in a restaurant 20 minutes earlier without any issue.

Just looked at my account now, and the first Tesco payment has been marked as declined. The other two are still pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

In order to avoid weeding through 372 pages of this thread can anyone indicate if this card works okay on paypal for ebay UK purchased items?

Having directed funds to the card I am concerned that I may not be able to avoid FX transaction fees.
    When I added the card this evening it does not show the currency the card is in. My paypal account seems to have Sterling as default currency. My address shows in Ireland but the IBAN of the card is GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Top right of the main Paypal page hit

Profile > Profile and settings > My money > Manage automatic Payments > Set Available Funding Sources > Conversion Options > Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice.

It's hidden away ridiculously well with it's tiny fonts and unsuspecting links

Also the 'Search this thread' function on the menu above is a useful tool if you're looking for something specific

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Is it just me or did they hint at the announcement of Google pay a few weeks ago and theres been nothing ever since?

dulux99 wrote: »
    Is it just me or did they hint at the announcement of Google pay a few weeks ago and theres been nothing ever since?

Was wondering too - has it been 3 weeks since?
    They had two system issues in the past while - might have distracted them with fire fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Im Finished with them anyway after last sunday's debacle.
    Tried to pay for Diesel in my local Londis and payment declined, knowing there was money in there I tried again and the same thing.

The shops ATM was out of order so I couldn't try to withdraw either and my other cards were at home.
    I knew them so told them I would go draw cash and come back so had to go home for another card go to another shop and draw money and go back and pay.

Both transactions showed up as successful on my revolut app so basically one €32 transaction cost me €96.

I contacted support straight away and got good auld Rita and was told there was a 4 hour wait for a live agent and I read the sticky about the issue they were having, I then went into Twitter to see if there was any other update and I read the "no bullshït statement" from their arrogant CEO who thinks he's Leonardo DiCaprio from Wolf of Wall Street.

In the statement they guaranteed all failed transactions would be reverted between 1 and 24 hours, well that was absolute bullshït.

A live agent eventually got back to me late Sunday night and told me to wait the 24 hours for it to be reverted so I did and after 24 hours still nothing so I contacted them again Monday afternoon and had another wait of 4 hours for a live agent then I was told it could take upto 7 days until the merchant refused the payment. But if I could provide the declined receipt they could do it quicker.

I sent them the declined receipt which they said was no good because there was no 6 digit authorization code on it so they said I would have to contact the merchant for their copy so I did and there was no authorization code on that either, the merchant was as confused as I was because they said how could there be an authorization code when the payment wasn't authorized by them.

All I could make out of this was they were stalling and actually didn't know how to revert the money, they then tried to pass the buck to Visa.

After being passed from live agent to live agent I was told late Monday night that the payment would definitely be reverted after 72 hours from when the problem was resolved which was supposedly Sunday evening, so I waited till Wednesday evening and checked it again and still nothing.

I contacted chat again yesterday morning and explained my case all over again and I think I must have found the one competent employee that revolut had who was all apologies and who reverted the payments there and then.

Why this couldn't have been done Sunday evening or Monday morning is a mystery to me but from the numerous ATM refusals due to GPS positioning, their scandalous charges for ATM withdrawals and the frequent outages it just isn't reliable any more so im done and going by Twitter im in the majority, some people were abroad on holidays and had transferred all their spending money to revolut and couldn't access their money for nearly two days.

It's not good enough and not acceptable yet they act above their station showing off pictures of their new London offices with neon signs saying "get **** done" when the exact opposite is the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Always have a back up card or cash with you. Every bank etc. Can have problems from time to time. I sympathise but when you go away and save a fortune on bank fee's it's worth it.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Always have a back up card or cash with you. Every bank etc. Can have problems from time to time. I sympathise but when you go away and save a fortune on bank fee's it's worth it.

this is the point / quid pro quo. You’re paying nothing to get a cheaper service. It sometimes breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My physical Revolut card is due to expire in a few weeks. Do I need to order a new card now or will a new card be sent out to me before my existing card expires?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

My physical Revolut card is due to expire in a few weeks. Do I need to order a new card now or will a new card be sent out to me before my existing card expires?

From what I've seen on Twitter you need to contact support. They will refund the costs when you order a new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Just started using Revolut with a physical card. Used the ATM this week and surprised it worked no problem, used it on Ebay for a large sterling purchase and no problems. Looked at the live transactions so am getting a feel for how the service works.

Going on the issues various banks are having with electronic payments I would carry another debit and credit card from different banks. I don't want to carry cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Just started using Revolut with a physical card. Used the ATM this week and surprised it worked no problem, used it on Ebay for a large sterling purchase and no problems. Looked at the live transactions so am getting a feel for how the service works.

Going on the issues various banks are having with electronic payments I would carry another debit and credit card from different banks. I don't want to carry cash.
    I'm having mostly positive experiences with it also, but I'd never rely on it as my main card. If I were bringing it abroad I've keep my spending money in my normal account and transfer a few hundred at a time. Too much down time. I bought something on amazon the other day when revolut were having technical problems and the payment came out 3 times. It went back on a few days later which was grand but if I had of bought something that cost a few hundred and it charged me 3 times I could of been stuck for a few days.
    I found it doesn't allow you to pay at pump for fuel.
    Over all I really like the card. The app is smarter than a normal banks app. I like the daily budget feature, that could be useful on holiday. I also like the instant notification when you use the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

I use it as my main card transferring money all the time to it.
    99% of all transactions and I have 2 direct debits set up as well. I only had 1 issue that was last week when my card was declined money was back into the account by evening. I had to use Ulster bank card.y Ulster bank account just reads revolut.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

I went to pay for a Paypal transaction with my Revolut of £20, which according to the app would have cost €22.73, but I accidently used my AIB Visa debit instead, and the charge on my account is only €22.63, which I was surprised to see cheaper - not much of a difference, but it would add up if it was £200 or £2000, I guess?

Am I correct i n saying that because this is the weekend, the pending transaction on my AIB could indeed change before it's posted to the account?

[Edit] I know Revolut load their weekend rates too, but is AIB really cheaper, as their fee is 1.75% of the euro value, min 45c?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Spocker wrote: »
    I went to pay for a Paypal transaction with my Revolut of £20, which according to the app would have cost €22.73, but I accidently used my AIB Visa debit instead, and the charge on my account is only €22.63, which I was surprised to see cheaper - not much of a difference, but it would add up if it was £200 or £2000, I guess?

Am I correct i n saying that because this is the weekend, the pending transaction on my AIB could indeed change before it's posted to the account?

[Edit] I know Revolut load their weekend rates too, but is AIB really cheaper, as their fee is 1.75% of the euro value, min 45c?

With AIB and the other banks, the fees are only added when the transaction completes. So in a few days that €22.63 will change into a higher amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Quackster wrote: »
    With AIB and the other banks, the fees are only added when the transaction completes. So in a few days that €22.63 will change into a higher amount.

This. BOI lists the fees separately on my statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

This. BOI lists the fees separately on my statements.

The same with PTSB. They've been charging me 0.46eur on uber journeys that are averaging out at around 2euro! It's criminal. Need to change associated card with uber account (just had not been using it for a couple of years up until recently).

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Quackster wrote: »

You're correct, the final posted amount was €23.08, which is the fee of 45c. It does mean the FX rate was still cheaper though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Spocker wrote: »
    You're correct, the final posted amount was €23.08, which is the fee of 45c. It does mean the FX rate was still cheaper though

Only because it was the weekend, as they do indeed load the rate then. During the week, I find Revolut to be mostly spot on the Fx rate.

If I think I'm going to need sterling or dollars, I'll buy them before the weekend and store them on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Just signed up for a card there.. Travelling to US soon and plan on lodging money in the card and using it there..

My question is is there anything else I should know or tips ye can offer? Thanks

keano25 wrote: »
    Just signed up for a card there.. Travelling to US soon and plan on lodging money in the card and using it there..

My question is is there anything else I should know or tips ye can offer? Thanks

Auto top up feature is very handy. Revolut need to be comfortable with your top up card source so instead of doing one large top up of the revolut, do some smaller ones. And then you can enable auto top ip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It can't be mentioned enough but lots of ATMs and Point of Sale terminals will offer to convert Dollars to Pounds for you. Always decline this and pay in Dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Yes, agree here, pay in the local currency of country you are visiting and have your passport with you when using card to purchase in store as you will be asked for ID verification. And definitely have another card as back up. There is a limit on ATM fee free withdrawals, 200 euro equivalent per month on the free card,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have experienced problems topping up from BoI & Ulster Bank debit cards. On several occasions the top-up fails to complete.

august12 wrote: »
    Yes, agree here, pay in the local currency of country you are visiting and have your passport with you when using card to purchase in store as you will be asked for ID verification. And definitely have another card as back up. There is a limit on ATM fee free withdrawals, 200 euro equivalent per month on the free card,

Thanks everyone.

Is there a monthly limit on the free card for paying for goods I. E. Hotels, restaurants etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Thanks everyone.

Is there a monthly limit on the free card for paying for goods I. E. Hotels, restaurants etc?

https://www.revolut.com/ie/fairusage
    "Currency exchange transactions
    Free currency exchange transactions up to £5,000/€5,000 per month.
    Anything over is charged 0.5%"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It works great in the US. My only advice is to not load all your money on Revolut. Just top up when you’re in WiFi areas. There might be an issue when it’s down and if you have money on another card you’ll be fine

If you’re thinking of linking it to Lyft/Uber, do it the week before you travel so you’re not caught out trying to get stuff working in a lobby somewhere

Turn off location based security when in the US. If you’re phone says you’re in Florida and the payment is processed in, say, Texas (which can happen), it’ll be declined

• Advertisement

We are renting a car and travelling across states so will have to pay for hotels etc as we go so I plan on lodging about 2000 on the card for this..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement