Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Go into the play store and add the card there before you add it to Google play

I was able to add the Mastercard without any problem going directly to Google Pay and adding the card without adding it the google account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Got a "Sorry, automatic fuel dispensers are not supported" at the Maxol in Newbridge

One of the very few refusals but... what's up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

From Twitter regarding Google Pay:
    @RevolutApp
    Replying to @buneech @tonyreilly @korolijadario
    It's enabled for a group of users in beta phase. Once we are ready, we will launch it for every Revolut user.🚀
    5:47pm · 18 Jul 2018 · TweetDeck

(only Mastercard AFAIAA)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anyone know how this will interact with Revolut's security features? E.g. If I enable it in GPay, but turn off contactless payments in the Revolut app, would a payment with GPay fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

iamtony wrote: »
    Yeah mines a visa does that make a difference?

mine is mastercard and works, visa might not be ready yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

long_b wrote: »
    Got a "Sorry, automatic fuel dispensers are not supported" at the Maxol in Newbridge

One of the very few refusals but... what's up with that?

probably because a fuel pump pre authroises an amount before you start to pump ensure you have an enough credit to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Which is better to get visa or mastercard?

irishgeo wrote: »
    probably because a fuel pump pre authroises an amount before you start to pump ensure you have an enough credit to pay for it.

I had to enter in the amount do fuel I wanted. Had plenty to cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I had to enter in the amount do fuel I wanted. Had plenty to cover it

virtual cards probably don't like that

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

keano25 wrote: »

One of my kids was in Colombia recently and ran into a few places that didn't accept Mastercard. YMMV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Delta2113

keano25 wrote: »

-Your not given a choice you will be given Visa. I'm lucky and now have MasterCard and Visa for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Hi,
    This question has probably been asked 1000 times but I cannot find the answer anywhere. (sorry)
    I just signed up for this yesterday as I am going to NYC for a week in November. I have got $500 cash and figure that is enough cash to do me for the week so the rest will be on this new card.

Do I just load money on to the card and away I go when I am over there. I have read somewhere that people can transfer it to dollars on the app before they go but can't see anywhere in the app to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Gooser14

From the task bar select More - Profile - Account details - Add account. Once you have added the dollar account you can then exchange your Euro to USD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

If i am buying an item online priced in sterling for example, should I convert my euro to sterling and then purchase or just purchase in euro and let card convert? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

If i am buying an item online priced in sterling for example, should I convert my euro to sterling and then purchase or just purchase in euro and let card convert? Thanks

The latter, unless you're buying at the weekend, in which case convert on Friday - the rates are static and worse than the market rate on the weekend.

Also, if, like at the moment, the Euro is very strong, you can convert if you think sterling is likely to rally (!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Patww79 wrote: »

I already have. The only thing left is for Revolut to get its Lithuanian banking license approved. That'll be when they truly become a Eurozone bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

troyzer wrote: »
    Patww79 wrote: »
    Is this a workaround thing or legitimate?

If it's real I could probably get rid of the N26 account now then.

I already have. The only thing left is for Revolut to get its Lithuanian banking license approved. That'll be when they truly become a Eurozone bank.

Apple Pay as well is needed. Then N26 is gone for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hi,
    This question has probably been asked 1000 times but I cannot find the answer anywhere. (sorry)
    I just signed up for this yesterday as I am going to NYC for a week in November. I have got $500 cash and figure that is enough cash to do me for the week so the rest will be on this new card.

Do I just load money on to the card and away I go when I am over there. I have read somewhere that people can transfer it to dollars on the app before they go but can't see anywhere in the app to do this.

Leave it in Euros and just use the card, it will convert it to dollars as you spend it

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Got it working too. You need to add the card as a payment method for your Google Account before trying to activate it with Google Pay

I tried this and but get a 'This card can't be set up to pay in stores. This feature isn't supported by your bank for this card yet' message with a revolut visa card.

Is this down to me or the bricks and mortar bank i am with?

• Advertisement

Hi,

Leave it in Euros and just use the card, it will convert it to dollars as you spend it
    *Except for weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I tried this and but get a 'This card can't be set up to pay in stores. This feature isn't supported by your bank for this card yet' message with a revolut visa card.

Is this down to me or the bricks and mortar bank i am with?

It looks that in the current beta phase you need to have a mastercard issued by paysafe, either a physical or a virtual. The visa or the old mastercard from wirecard do not work.

Got it working too. You need to add the card as a payment method for your Google Account before trying to activate it with Google Pay

Had my card set up in Google Account from before. Card didn't work in Google Pay then but does now.

Revolut so far ahead of my bank now (PTSB) it's not even funny.

Had my card set up in Google Account from before. Card didn't work in Google Pay then but does now.

Only in some respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Only in some respects.

Yeah, joint accounts being a big drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

No, it's not a bank. No direct debit functionality and no protection of your funds under EU regulations.

Until so, you'd almost have to use your usual bank account with it. N26 and KBC Extra are about the best to work with it side by side in terms of reduced fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

While Revolut is not a bank, they offer all the functionality of a bank account. With the introduction of direct debit on the euro iban they offer all the current accounts features, the difference is that they still are not a bank but a licensed electronic money issuer.

N26 has its own bank license (and in Spain even its own first ATM).

Unless you need facilities to pay cash into an account nothing would stop you from using revolut as you main provider. Well beside the Iban discrimination that some companies still do.

And once revolut gets its banking license they are no different than N26 or traditional banks.

Obviously electronic money issuers comes with risks when it comes to how your money is protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

No, it's not a bank. No direct debit functionality and no protection of your funds under EU regulations.

Until so, you'd almost have to use your usual bank account with it. N26 and KBC Extra are about the best to work with it side by side in terms of reduced fees etc.

I've heard a few people say you can't use direct debit. Are you sure this is true? I've used it for my eFlow account.

Your funds are protected under British rules because Revolut accounts are effectively Lloyds accounts.

But yeah, I haven't quite closed my N26 account. I've just cancelled Black and I'm waiting for that unique Lithuanian IBAN, then we'll be good to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement