Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is your card activated?

I don't believe I ever did, no.....

What's involved in that, don't recall seeing anything about activating it when I received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

I don't believe I ever did, no.....

What's involved in that, don't recall seeing anything about activating it when I received it.

Pretty sure you have to use the chip and pin for 1 transaction before you can use contactless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

brianomc wrote: »
    Pretty sure you have to use the chip and pin for 1 transaction before you can use contactless
    I think making a withdrawal in an ATM would work either. I vaguely remember intentially trying to withdraw more than I had in the account and that was enough to activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

brianomc wrote: »

Might be the case, I just used chip and pin in another shop, no bother whatsoever. Will try contactless again later.

Cheers guys.

Edit.....

Have this notification on the phone...... problem solved.

20180613_203054.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I got my first card, the free user one and its greyed out in the app. If I hit freeze(it doesn't say unfreeze) it just says sorry something has gone wrong.
    Contacted the support in the app yesterday at 4pm and still waiting for a reply from a human. Anyone know what's going on with the card? I tried to use it in a shop and an atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

iamtony wrote: »
    I got my first card, the free user one and its greyed out in the app. If I hit freeze(it doesn't say unfreeze) it just says sorry something has gone wrong.
    Contacted the support in the app yesterday at 4pm and still waiting for a reply from a human. Anyone know what's going on with the card? I tried to use it in a shop and an atm.

Have you verified yourself? (photo ID)
    https://www.revolut.com/ie/help/getting-started/verifying-identity

J_A_F_A wrote: »

Yeah sent the drivers licence and the selfie and everything and it was verified a few minutes later. Thanks.
    Virtual card is working fine.

Support fixed the issue in a few seconds. All good now thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mr.S wrote: »

Revolut doesn't have it's EU banking licence yet, so it's fully 'prepaid' - ie you top it up and no credit is offered. - but at the rate they are launching new features, credit is probably on the cards.

Credit has been 'coming soon' on the app for quite a while now, haven't seen any updates but be interesting if/when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Support fixed the issue in a few seconds. All good now thanks.

I wsh they’d fix mine. Have been waiting for someone for 7hrs. Am still unable to withdraw money from an atm, but it works fine both tapping and with a pin.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if these cards work with the little sum up card readers? I have one myself and I just tried to use it to activate the card but it declined it for some reason. Don't know if its the card or sum up that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Does anyone know if these cards work with the little sum up card readers? I have one myself and I just tried to use it to activate the card but it declined it for some reason. Don't know if its the card or sum up that's the problem.
    Yup they do. Might need a live connection to the card processor to activate, don't those commonly work in offline mode? Might be configurable but I don't have a clue how to operate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Are you able to top up N26 card using Revolut ? I tried setting up a beneficiary on Revolut and put in my N26 iban and sort code but when I go to make the transfer it says postcode invalid even though I didn’t enter any postcode anywhere in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

sugarman wrote: »
    If I order a physical card will it be the same card number as my virtual card?

Also, is there a charge to order one?

I don't have any virtual without also having a matching physical so I'm not 100% if you can order a physical version of the virtual. What options do you get when you click the button with the 3 little dots?

I know if you order a physical card, it also appears as a virtual card too.

There was a promotion where your first physical card was free, not sure if that's over. Was €6 outside of that promotion.

sugarman wrote: »
    If I order a physical card will it be the same card number as my virtual card?

Also, is there a charge to order one?

Mine has a different number anyway.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Yup they do. Might need a live connection to the card processor to activate, don't those commonly work in offline mode? Might be configurable but I don't have a clue how to operate them.

I've activated the card in an atm so I'll try again in the sumup machine tomorrow and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

I tried the Cryptocurrencies a few weeks ago via the app. Bought 40 euro in BTC and 40 in ETH. I would never have bothered only it was so easy to have a bash.
    BTC: 40 euro now worth 26.34 Euro.
    ETH 40 Euro now worth 26.11
    Just gave it a go. Stay away if you know nothing about them. Was just a punt :D:D

paska wrote: »
    I tried the Cryptocurrencies a few weeks ago via the app. Bought 40 euro in BTC and 40 in ETH. I would never have bothered only it was so easy to have a bash.
    Just gave it a go. Stay away if you know nothing about them. Was just a punt :D:D

LOL gas. Worst time ever to buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Was thinking about having a go with the Crytocurrencies - I might leave it for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

My wife made a withdrawal on my card in my local spar the atm charged €34 to withdraw €200.
    The charges were for currency conversion even though my revolut account only contains euro.

Having contacted the ATM company and Spar I’m getting no where and they are saying the charges stand as my wife accepted that fees applied.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
    If so did you have any joy getting the fees reversed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

collie0708 wrote: »
    My wife made a withdrawal on my card in my local spar the atm charged €34 to withdraw €200.
    The charges were for currency conversion even though my revolut account only contains euro.

Having contacted the ATM company and Spar I’m getting no where and they are saying the charges stand as my wife accepted that fees applied.

Local to where?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Never heard of this. The ATM charged that? Could you go back and start the process of withdrawing money and see what it says? Can cancel instead of accepting the charges.

Any strange in your settings? Have you only got Euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Let me guess this was an Euronet ATM (previous easycash).

What happened is that the ATM read your card and offered your wife to convert the 200€ into £ at their exchange rate for her convenience and charge the card in £. This is supposed to be for your convenience so that you know how much you have to pay in the currency of the card right there instead of later once your card provider does the conversion.

In this case, some machines interpret the base currency of the revolut card as £ instead of € and hence offer dynamic currency conversion and offer to charge in £. ALWAYS DECLINE, always pay in local currency.

The ATM will have displayed an option for this. It would have asked your wife if she wants to be charged in £ or € and if she took € it would have gone to Revolut as 200€ with no additional charges.

Euronet is a bunch of cowboys who are known for these tricks (perfectly legal).

So you are stuck, if you check the receipt, it will say something to the extent that dynamic currency conversion was accepted and the card charged in £.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

If I withraw at aib atms I get the option to be billed in Sterling or euro.

Just always pick euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

You always want to "take the risk" with your own issuer/bank doing the conversion (Revolut) as to avoid the atm shafting you with their currency conversion and fees.

You want to withdraw in the local currency and let Revolut worry about the conversion.

it can be very confusing and depending on the ATM, it may even try and rush you with a time limit if you are reading the screen trying to figure out what to do!

Bad form but as mentioned legal to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

paska wrote: »

I did that as well, hadn't a clue what I was doing.. :D.... Anyone know how to withdraw/converter back to my account.?

Let me guess this was an Euronet ATM (previous easycash).

What happened is that the ATM read your card and offered your wife to convert the 200€ into £ at their exchange rate for her convenience and charge the card in £. This is supposed to be for your convenience so that you know how much you have to pay in the currency of the card right there instead of later once your card provider does the conversion.

In this case, some machines interpret the base currency of the revolut card as £ instead of € and hence offer dynamic currency conversion and offer to charge in £. ALWAYS DECLINE, always pay in local currency.

The ATM will have displayed an option for this. It would have asked your wife if she wants to be charged in £ or € and if she took € it would have gone to Revolut as 200€ with no additional charges.

Euronet is a bunch of cowboys who are known for these tricks (perfectly legal).

So you are stuck, if you check the receipt, it will say something to the extent that dynamic currency conversion was accepted and the card charged in £.

Ye that’s the crowd, have been on to them twice and It was a waste of time. They argue that there ATM are so modern that they idenfied my revolut card as a UK card and offered me dynamic currency conversion as part of there commitment to customer service.

They were absolutely unwilling to reverse any of the charges as they say it’s the customers job to click the right option.

Frustrating but if it’s legal looks like nothing can be done.

Ye that’s the crowd, have been on to them twice and It was a waste of time. They argue that there ATM are so modern that they idenfied my revolut card as a UK card and offered me dynamic currency conversion as part of there commitment to customer service.

They were absolutely unwilling to reverse any of the charges as they say it’s the customers job to click the right option.

Frustrating but if it’s legal looks like nothing can be done.

Revolut has some cards that show as £ and some that show as € so this does not always happen and it also does not happen always with all shops.

Essentially shops get a kickback if a customer does accept dynamic currency conversation which is why some are only too happy to click the button for you or tell you it's good for you.

Generally and that is the case worldwide, this is way more expensive even on non revolut card as those charges can be up to 7.5% in some cases I have seen.

Now it won't help you now, but you could go back and see if the information is actually displayed correctly on the ATM or during the process, just cancel the process before the last step. If the information is not clear or you don't get it correctly then you should complain to the financial regular. It won't help you but if they get enough complaints they might force providers to be clearer.

Revolut has some cards that show as £ and some that show as € so this does not always happen and it also does not happen always with all shops.

Essentially shops get a kickback if a customer does accept dynamic currency conversation which is why some are only too happy to click the button for you or tell you it's good for you.

Generally and that is the case worldwide, this is way more expensive even on non revolut card as those charges can be up to 7.5% in some cases I have seen.

Now it won't help you now, but you could go back and see if the information is actually displayed correctly on the ATM or during the process, just cancel the process before the last step. If the information is not clear or you don't get it correctly then you should complain to the financial regular. It won't help you but if they get enough complaints they might force providers to be clearer.

Went in last night and did the charge a 13% mark up as part of the service and argue this is very clear to the customer they even sent me a screen shot of where this message appears.

Interestingly they are incorrect as I took a photo of the screen they sent me which did not have the mark up message.

• Advertisement

Went in last night and did the charge a 13% mark up as part of the service and argue this is very clear to the customer they even sent me a screen shot of where this message appears.

Interestingly they are incorrect as I took a photo of the screen they sent me which did not have the mark up message.

13% is really high, wow.

But to your point, unfortunately, it's very clear. They offer you to pay in the home currency of your card which is £ and they clearly point out both the exchange rate used and what the final price is. In fact, it's as clear as it can get looking at that one.

They don't call it a markup but they offered you a choice and then told you how much it's going to cost you. They don't need to tell you how much worse their rate is against others, they just need to tell you the rate they will charge, which they did.

The EU really should do something about DCC because it's a major issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement