Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

No direct debit functionality

Your personal euro account Iban of revolut can be used for direct debits since a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I have a provisional booking for a hotel in NY through booking.com. Reading the small print of the booking, it says I can't pay with a 'prepaid' card. Does that mean Revolut, An Post Currency Card etc won't be accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I imagine most people use it as a second 'bank'. I have an Ulsterbank account but Revolut has become my day to day card. I usually top up by a couple of hundred quid and have my spare change going to the vault. Also save quite a bit with Amazon.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Revolut has applied for a bank license there.

For a while they issued LT Iban but because classic banks had problems with LT Iban and revolut UK Bic they went to GB Iban.

Patww79 - so even though I made my booking with a normal card, when I get there can I actually do the transaction at the front desk with my prepaid card and pay out of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Revolut has applied for a bank license there.

For a while they issued LT Iban but because classic banks had problems with LT Iban and revolut UK Bic they went to GB Iban.

Yggr, off topic but did you see the resolution the AA finally gave me to my IBAN discrimination problem? I know this is a pet hate of yours judging by your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

When you're going to the states you should really just preload your credit card and use that for all of your hotels. It's so much easier, car rentals anyway.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    Yggr, off topic but did you see the resolution the AA finally gave me to my IBAN discrimination problem? I know this is a pet hate of yours judging by your posts.

I saw that and good for you to get it sorted. IBAN discrimination is in deed a pet hate of mine.

Now that revolut is doing sepa direct debits i am in for another round.

Unless you really have to, it is unwise to use revolut card at check in for hotels.

They will block an amount they estimate will be the final bill (restaurant, mini bar, laundry) at check in. If they than don't do the checkout correctly they will request the final amount as a new transaction hence taking another chunk of your money and you have to wait until they release the initial charge up to 10 days later.

Best is to use a traditional credit card at check in and than use revolut to pay the final bill to get the exchange rate. Hotels don't like to change the payment type at checkout but that's their problem.

Or if you use the revolut at check in you need to make sure that at checkout they do it correctly and don't request a new authorization but use the existing one and do a final on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

troyzer wrote: »
    They let me anyway (Hilton group) but it still took a few days for the hold to go off the amount on my debit card that I booked with.

When you're going to the states you should really just preload your credit card and use that for all of your hotels. It's so much easier, car rentals anyway.
    Why would you pre-load the credit card? Defeats the entire purpose of it being a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Why would you pre-load the credit card? Defeats the entire purpose of it being a credit card.

No fees if you preload a credit card I think. Half the purpose of a credit card is buyer protection and chargebacks by the way... the entire purpose is not access to credit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

No fees if you preload a credit card I think. Half the purpose of a credit card is buyer protection and chargebacks by the way... the entire purpose is not access to credit

No fees is entirely dependent on the individual CC offering

Buyer protection and chargebacks are covered whether you've a positive balance on the card or are accessing credit.

By far the biggest advantage of Revolut is the exchange rate and lack of FX fee. If you head off to the states with a pre-loaded credit card from AIB or BoI, you'll get their inferior exchange rate and an FX fee every time you use the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I’m a premium Revolut account holder. My MasterCard Revolut card stopped working recently and ordered a replacement but it’s well over a week. ( took ages to come in the first place)

Girlfriend is just regular account and she got her visa in 2 days. Really annoying as I’ve just moved to the UK and I’m using it as a temporary bank before I get all set up. Anyone experienced this? What benefits does premium actually give you, the only reason I signed up really was for priority delivery and the slick card

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Except you're not protected against fraud for the positive balance on your credit card so it's a terrible idea, especially when travelling.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I am a Revolut customer for over two years. I have the non contactless MasterCard and more recently got the Visa card for free which is contactless. I was able to add the MasterCard to Google pay but now wondering will it work as the card is not contactless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

ROVER wrote: »
    I am a Revolut customer for over two years. I have the non contactless MasterCard and more recently got the Visa card for free which is contactless. I was able to add the MasterCard to Google pay but now wondering will it work as the card is not contactless.

Only one way to find out.

• Advertisement

ROVER wrote: »

Google pay does not require that your card is contactless. So if you added your card to it successfully than you can now use your phone which will use a token generated to pay at the pos.

Go out and try.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I thought there was a higher limit than €30 with Android Pay? Have only successfully used it on transactions under 30. Are some terminals configured to only accept under 30?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I really thought that we were going to get Apple pay considering the amount of progress they've made over the past year and attention they have been getting recently! Probably being hopeful on my part!!

I wonder when they will be able to enable this, I know the loops you g=have to jump through to get apple pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I thought there was a higher limit than €30 with Android Pay? Have only successfully used it on transactions under 30. Are some terminals configured to only accept under 30?

Yes some merchants limit contactless to 30 even though Google pay does not have this limit

Yes some merchants limit contactless to 30 even though Google pay does not have this limit

Yea from my limited experience using google pay for transactions over €30, Applegreen will allow for it but Tesco wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Yea from my limited experience using google pay for transactions over €30, Applegreen will allow for it but Tesco wont.

So what happens at that point, you try and pay for something, say, €100...you tap your phone and then get prompted for your pin?

dulux99 wrote: »
    So what happens at that point, you try and pay for something, say, €100...you tap your phone and then get prompted for your pin?

Yea I purchased €50 of fuel in Applegreen and after tapping phone it will prompt you to enter your security feature, eg pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Yea I purchased €50 of fuel in Applegreen and after tapping phone it will prompt you to enter your security feature, eg pattern.

Great! The wallet can stay at home Monday to Friday in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Bad plan. Always have a backup. (non Revolut card or cash)

• Advertisement

Im open to correction but only vendors that display google pay will allow for this? Tesco wouldn't allow me so its not a guarantee everywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement