Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

dinneenp wrote: »
    No such thing as a stupid question but I presume SwiftKey is better than the default keyboard with the phone?

It's up to you really..... I bought SwiftKey years ago and have used it on every android since.... To me it's the best out there. But that's because I have used it nearly 5 years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

And I use TouchPal I find it brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mmatz

So... a little update on my situation. I had my old LG Nexus 5 for three and a half years, fell from my pocket and my hands while standing numerous times, and screen never broke. I have this Xaomi for 13 days, it fell out of my pocket today, while sitting, for the first time, and there is a line from the power button to the proximity sensor. I'm extremely pissed now. So much about screen quality. All of you who are getting this phone, go for that GKK protective case few people have linked in this thread. I've been keeping it in one supplied with Goldway order, which is even thicker then the one I've been keeping my old one in, but it's obviously useless. I didn't even have it long enough to unlock the bootloader, long enough to get screen protector to arrive from Ebay. It works, but still, such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

My screen looks washed out. Any one having the same thing. I haven't swapped over from my rn4 yet not. Not sure if it's software or the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

@mmatz, sorry to hear about your misfortune. It does seem that the screen on the redmi phones are vulnerable to falls more than most.

I went naked with my RN4, but all it took was a drop of less than 10 inches to crack the screen. Before that I had a Samsung note 4 that hit the ground several times a month with never a crack even though the rest of it was well dented and scratched.!

Despite this I'm sticking with Xiaomi for their value but think a good case and tempered glass protection is essential.

I did wonder if the gel case that came with the phone offered much protection but apparently not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Any one know if the rn5 pro cases are the same as rn5. From what I tell it's the same phone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

nigwerwig wrote: »
    My screen looks washed out. Any one having the same thing. I haven't swapped over from my rn4 yet not. Not sure if it's software or the screen

My friend's Note 5 takes great photos & video but strangely it looks really washed out on Skype calls - so much so that I thought she had a dirty or obscured camera. It's especially bad in low light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭corkie

@mmatz Sorry to hear about your device, hopefully you can get fixed easily enough!

@Discodog Any chance she has a screen protector without the proper cut outs on her device?

@nigwerwig RN5 Pro[India] and RN5 Chinese/Global are all the same device on the exterior!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

corkie wrote: »
    @mmatz Sorry to hear about your device, hopefully you can get fixed easily enough!

@Discodog Any chance she has a screen protector without the proper cut outs on her device?

@nigwerwig RN5 Pro[India] and RN5 Chinese/Global are all the same device on the exterior!

No & photos are fine. It seems to be an issue using Skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Considering buying one of these. Currently using a Samsung S7 Edge. Would there be a drop off in quality from Samsung? Does the phone feel cheap?

Also, are there any difficulties with the set up and using the phone in Ireland?

Looks like a really good phone but there must be some downfall considering the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Maybe try Skype Lite to see if its any improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Considering buying one of these. Currently using a Samsung S7 Edge. Would there be a drop off in quality from Samsung? Does the phone feel cheap?

Also, are there any difficulties with the set up and using the phone in Ireland?

Looks like a really good phone but there must be some downfall considering the price.

The phone doesn't feel cheap, feels like something twice the price IMHO.
    One aspect you'll certainly miss is the super bright Amoled screen. The screen in the RN5 is good, but not in the same league as the Samsung one (not many screens are though).

Based on YouTube..The camera is good, can be even better than the S7 in good lighting conditions. But not as good as the S7 at night.

I don't think it feels cheap at all. And no difficulties in Ireland, as long as you get the global version.

As far as whats the catch regarding the price, well there is the camera, especially in low light, and don't believe all the youtube videos telling you otherwise, the S7 camera is streets ahead. And I think the screen may be more fragile than the latest gorrilla glass on the flagships, so make sure you get a good case and tempered glass. Also, no NFC if that matters to you.

Otherwise its really responsive, fast fingerprint sensor, and the battery is amazing. I can get 2 days usage easy, whilst herself has to recharge her S7 twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

That Both videos is for the Indian RN5 (a.k.a Redmi 5 Plus).

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

That Both videos is for the Indian RN5 (a.k.a Redmi 5 Plus).

beat me to it corkie! RN5 global version comes with Oreo & has snapdragon 636. So that items 1 & 3 taken care of.

As for lack of USB-C and the Dual Sim card (issues 4 & 5), whats the fuss about USB-C when everyone must have loads of Micro USB cables already and can't say I care about issue 5.

So only thing I'd agree about in the cons video is the glass #2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

A proper type C and charger could charge the phone a lot faster then the two-ish hours it currently takes to top up from zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

fixxxer wrote: »
    A proper type C and charger could charge the phone a lot faster then the two-ish hours it currently takes to top up from zero.

'suppose some might need this - I'd be in the 'its grand the way it is' camp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Me too, and as the phone costs so little, you can't expect every feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Phone arrived almost a week ago but cover only today. So am excited to start using it properly.

Have been looking at some of the top tips, features; many overlap.
    https://beebom.com/redmi-note-5-pro-features-tricks/

https://www.smartprix.com/bytes/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-pro-useful-tips-tricks/

http://www.androidbeat.com/2018/02/top-redmi-note-5-pro-tips-tricks/

Thanks again corkie (I think it was) for all the help and quick answers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How do I turn off caller id?
    Can't find it on google

Command: fastboot getvar anti

If 3 you are safe :)
    4 means f*cked up :(

If you want to flash custom rom etc, make sure not to flash MIUI Roms/Firmware after (or including):-
    Global Beta ROM
    1. If you have updated to MIUI 10 Beta ROM 8.7.6 or above, you can flash all ROMs after 8.7.6 (including 8.7.6), but you can not downgrade to Beta ROM 8.7.5 or ROM previously.
    2. If you are on Beta ROM 8.7.5 or ROM previously, you can flash your device using all those previous ROMs.

Global Stable ROM
    1. If you are on Stable ROM V 9.5.19 (It will be released soon) or ROM above, you can flash all Stable ROMs after V 9.5.19 (including V 9.5.19), but you can not flash your device to Stable ROM V9.5.17 or ROM previously.
    2. If you are on Stable ROM V 9.5.17 or ROM previously, you can flash your device using all those ROMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

How do I turn off caller id?
    Can't find it on google

tap the green phone button and then settings ( bottom left hand corner )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

which versions of the phone have 2.2 apature on the camera and which have 1.9 ?....one i got my lad has 1.9 and camera is impressive to my eyes...much better than i expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Any recommendations on screen protectors? I've ordered the gkk case but I'd like to get a good screen protector too. All advice welcome

Otherwise its really responsive, fast fingerprint sensor, and the battery is amazing. I can get 2 days usage easy, whilst herself has to recharge her S7 twice a day.

I don't think it feels cheap at all. And no difficulties in Ireland, as long as you get the global version.

As far as whats the catch regarding the price, well there is the camera, especially in low light, and don't believe all the youtube videos telling you otherwise, the S7 camera is streets ahead. And I think the screen may be more fragile than the latest gorrilla glass on the flagships, so make sure you get a good case and tempered glass. Also, no NFC if that matters to you.

Thanks for this and the other replies. Is there access to the 'My Files' feature like other android phones?

The information about the screen quality is the a bit if a turn off but I'll have to look into it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BzrBren

If you want to flash custom rom etc, make sure not to flash MIUI Roms/Firmware after (or including):-

Does this mean if I try a custom ROM that I can't go back to miui at all..I'm only rooted since last night ha! I'm on 9.5.17 stable and my anti says 3 in fastboot.

BzrBren wrote: »
    Does this mean if I try a custom ROM that I can't go back to miui at all..I'm only rooted since last night ha! I'm on 9.5.17 stable and my anti says 3 in fastboot.

That rom doesn't have ARP, so your safe to flash custom roms.

But if you want to reflash MIUI, go with a version before the listed versions or restore a backup.

If you flash a later version MIUI, you will be stuck on it for good, in the current know situation.

Until Xiaomi or another developer comes up with a solution to disable ARP.

Also avoid flashing newer firmware zips as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BzrBren

That rom doesn't have ARP, so your safe to flash custom roms.

But if you want to reflash MIUI, go with a version before the listed versions or restore a backup.

If you flash a later version MIUI, you will be stuck on it for good, in the current know situation.

Until Xiaomi or another developer comes up with a solution to disable ARP.

Also avoid flashing newer firmware zips as well.

Thanks again! So stay away from miui and I'll be ok with the likes of RRemix..AOSPextented etc and I can flash my nandroid of miui if I want to go back to it! I won't flash any other miui ROMs.

• Advertisement

Where the best place to buy this with quick delivery? Showing no results on Honorbuy currently.

Advertisement