Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

Grassey wrote: »
    I generally leave Bluetooth on as I'm paired with watch, car etc.

However over the last 2 days of having Bluetooth pairing requests to share sexy-pic-1.jpg etc on the luas I've discovered that its a 'feature' of miui to always be discoverable on Bluetooth.

This is a pain.

Bar flashing a new rom, or always leaving Bluetooth off, anyone have any suggestions?

You got me curious, although there is no setting in Oreo RR/LOS to disable it.
    It is only visible to other devices when Bluetooth settings are open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

fixxxer wrote:
    Did you accept the pic?

It was bad sexy...

corkie wrote:
    You got me curious, although there is no setting in Oreo RR/LOS to disable it. It is only visible to other devices when Bluetooth settings are open.

Hmmm. Annoying that it's always visible on miui. That could be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Just wanted to say thanks to Corkie for setting up this thread and keeping us up to date with everything WHYRED..

He went above and beyond when I ran into trouble after flashing Resurrection Remix ROM..

My sim wasn't being detected - thought I had done something wrong, but turned out to be a dodgy sim (was still working in my old phone)..

Delighted with the phone so far.

Thanks Corkie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

the one i got for my son i think is a fabulous phone...and i have a samsung s8+
    i would gladly live with his phone.
    its got double the battery life of my phone, and features i would like but havent got, like fm radio and double tap to wake. and the model i got him has 1.9 apature camera (as opposed to 2.2 on some models) and its a decent shooter.
    its got a great theme store (even with a superb samsung theme)...its really fast...great menus / recent app changer etc....its a fabulous phone especially in black with a black case and black wallpaper....and its got such a good screen even compared to my amoled one.

i'm done with spending a fortune on samsung flagships after seeing how good it is.
    put it this way..i bought the samsung s8+ on release and it was 950 odd euros....i bought my son the redmi note 5...my other son a nubia m2...and her indoors a MI A1...and all 3 have double battery life of mine...and...all 3 together were half what i spent on my phone !!
    big advantage of mine though is some level of waterproofing which is important to me in my work...and obviously a top end camera...but single lens, and all 3 of them phones are dual cameras although maybe not comparable on quality...but still all 3 have decent cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Grassey wrote: »
    I generally leave Bluetooth on as I'm paired with watch, car etc.

However over the last 2 days of having Bluetooth pairing requests to share sexy-pic-1.jpg etc on the luas I've discovered that its a 'feature' of miui to always be discoverable on Bluetooth.

This is a pain.

Bar flashing a new rom, or always leaving Bluetooth off, anyone have any suggestions?

Better not give away the time/route otherwise there'll be a stampede of Redmi Note 5 owners there tomorrow! :p

to add to my previous post..

Quick update on my upgrade to MiUi 9.5.17 (see a few threads back).

I charged to 100% and unplugged at 12:35pm

So 6.5 hours on and I've used only 13%

Early days I know. However preliminary observations is that battery life is now amazing for me.

Will update again when I go to charge again .. maybe on Friday!

Ps Can't wait to see how good it'll be next charge with power saving mode switched on! (Currently I have it off for the first test)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

biebiebie wrote:
    Ok I've updated to 9.5.17 manually by downloading the official update .zip from Xiaomi and updating from that.

Just appeared as an update for me. Since this morning. No need to manually look for it.

Good stuff.
    Interesting to see if anyone else notices any difference in battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

My phone arrived this morning (Tuesday) delivered by DHL at 11am. Only ordered it on Sunday. So quick to arrive. Delighted with it so far. I've been messing around with it all day and have no complaints whatsoever. For the price it is a great phone. Cheers Corkie and the other lads.

• Advertisement

[MIUI 10] [Others] Important Announcement about Updating of Redmi Note 5 Pro/Redmi Note 5

To maintain system stability and ensure the security of the device, we have introduced a mechanism of anti-rollback. After you have updated to MIUI 10 Public ROM 8.7.5 or ROM afterwards, you can not downgrade your ROM to previous Stable ROM and Beta ROM.

If you have already updated your device to MIUI 10 Global Beta ROM 8.7.5 or ROM afterwards, please don't try to downgrade the ROM of your device. Otherwise, your device will be bricked, which may also affect your device stability.

What is unclear, is if you have an unlocked bootloader, you probably can still use fastboot to flash a prior rom?

Edit: -

[MIUI] Anti roll back policy # explained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

No such thing as a stupid question but I presume SwiftKey is better than the default keyboard with the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Comes running Gboard by google which i find to work perfectly. YMMV

Yep gboard fan here too.
    Have mine with a custom image in the background with subtle brightness so that the letters are still visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

GKK case arrived today. Ordered on Jun 22nd, delivered July 12th.

initial impressions are positive. Its a snug fit, has a clean finish and does not add as much bulk to the phone as I had expected. All the cutouts are there & are precisely aligned. Should offer good protection thanks to the top and bottom bumpers, more than would be offered from the gel cover that comes with the phone ( I hope!!).

It came with a screen protector, plastic film rather than tempered glass, quality not great and is better off discarding. Thankfully the case edges don't encroach on the screen so my tempered glass inserts still fit.

I have one of those on the way too. Good to hear it seems to be good quality! The case that comes with the phone is amazing, like a dried out jellyfish wrapped around the device. Its better than nothing, but not much better.

@captain_boycott

The protector that I got with my case, is the same as the one's provided by honorbuy.
    Although they are not flimsy plastic, they do feel plastic to the touch.

corkie wrote: »
    @captain_boycott

The protector that I got with my case, is the same as the one's provided by honorbuy.
    Although they are not flimsy plastic, they do feel plastic to the touch.

Not the one that came in my box unfortunately. It does have the same black surround you get with a glass protector but its about half the thickness & weight of the tempered glass I got from honorbuy.

Not the one that came in my box unfortunately. It does have the same black surround you get with a glass protector but its about half the thickness & weight of the tempered glass I got from honorbuy.

Did you message the seller, maybe they ran out of stock, and shipped a cheaper version instead with the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I'm trying to order a screen protector off ebay, I prefer non-glass ones as as I find the crack and chip too easily (unless someone can recommend a good quality one?)

What version should I be buying? there are so many or will the same screen protector do the lot?
    was looking at these, really don't need six of them - I'd rather 2 good ones
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/6x-UltraClear-Screen-Protector-for-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-Pro/372236103016?hash=item56ab002d68:g:aSAAAOSwn3tal61q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

dinneenp wrote: »
    No such thing as a stupid question but I presume SwiftKey is better than the default keyboard with the phone?

It's up to you really..... I bought SwiftKey years ago and have used it on every android since.... To me it's the best out there. But that's because I have used it nearly 5 years or so

And I use TouchPal I find it brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mmatz

So... a little update on my situation. I had my old LG Nexus 5 for three and a half years, fell from my pocket and my hands while standing numerous times, and screen never broke. I have this Xaomi for 13 days, it fell out of my pocket today, while sitting, for the first time, and there is a line from the power button to the proximity sensor. I'm extremely pissed now. So much about screen quality. All of you who are getting this phone, go for that GKK protective case few people have linked in this thread. I've been keeping it in one supplied with Goldway order, which is even thicker then the one I've been keeping my old one in, but it's obviously useless. I didn't even have it long enough to unlock the bootloader, long enough to get screen protector to arrive from Ebay. It works, but still, such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

My screen looks washed out. Any one having the same thing. I haven't swapped over from my rn4 yet not. Not sure if it's software or the screen

@mmatz, sorry to hear about your misfortune. It does seem that the screen on the redmi phones are vulnerable to falls more than most.

I went naked with my RN4, but all it took was a drop of less than 10 inches to crack the screen. Before that I had a Samsung note 4 that hit the ground several times a month with never a crack even though the rest of it was well dented and scratched.!

Despite this I'm sticking with Xiaomi for their value but think a good case and tempered glass protection is essential.

I did wonder if the gel case that came with the phone offered much protection but apparently not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Any one know if the rn5 pro cases are the same as rn5. From what I tell it's the same phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

nigwerwig wrote: »
    My screen looks washed out. Any one having the same thing. I haven't swapped over from my rn4 yet not. Not sure if it's software or the screen

My friend's Note 5 takes great photos & video but strangely it looks really washed out on Skype calls - so much so that I thought she had a dirty or obscured camera. It's especially bad in low light.

@mmatz Sorry to hear about your device, hopefully you can get fixed easily enough!

@Discodog Any chance she has a screen protector without the proper cut outs on her device?

@nigwerwig RN5 Pro[India] and RN5 Chinese/Global are all the same device on the exterior!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

@mmatz Sorry to hear about your device, hopefully you can get fixed easily enough!

@Discodog Any chance she has a screen protector without the proper cut outs on her device?

@nigwerwig RN5 Pro[India] and RN5 Chinese/Global are all the same device on the exterior!

No & photos are fine. It seems to be an issue using Skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Considering buying one of these. Currently using a Samsung S7 Edge. Would there be a drop off in quality from Samsung? Does the phone feel cheap?

Also, are there any difficulties with the set up and using the phone in Ireland?

Looks like a really good phone but there must be some downfall considering the price.

• Advertisement

Maybe try Skype Lite to see if its any improvement

Considering buying one of these. Currently using a Samsung S7 Edge. Would there be a drop off in quality from Samsung? Does the phone feel cheap?

Also, are there any difficulties with the set up and using the phone in Ireland?

Looks like a really good phone but there must be some downfall considering the price.

The phone doesn't feel cheap, feels like something twice the price IMHO.
    One aspect you'll certainly miss is the super bright Amoled screen. The screen in the RN5 is good, but not in the same league as the Samsung one (not many screens are though).

Based on YouTube..The camera is good, can be even better than the S7 in good lighting conditions. But not as good as the S7 at night.

I don't think it feels cheap at all. And no difficulties in Ireland, as long as you get the global version.

As far as whats the catch regarding the price, well there is the camera, especially in low light, and don't believe all the youtube videos telling you otherwise, the S7 camera is streets ahead. And I think the screen may be more fragile than the latest gorrilla glass on the flagships, so make sure you get a good case and tempered glass. Also, no NFC if that matters to you.

Otherwise its really responsive, fast fingerprint sensor, and the battery is amazing. I can get 2 days usage easy, whilst herself has to recharge her S7 twice a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

That Both videos is for the Indian RN5 (a.k.a Redmi 5 Plus).

That Both videos is for the Indian RN5 (a.k.a Redmi 5 Plus).

beat me to it corkie! RN5 global version comes with Oreo & has snapdragon 636. So that items 1 & 3 taken care of.

As for lack of USB-C and the Dual Sim card (issues 4 & 5), whats the fuss about USB-C when everyone must have loads of Micro USB cables already and can't say I care about issue 5.

So only thing I'd agree about in the cons video is the glass #2

A proper type C and charger could charge the phone a lot faster then the two-ish hours it currently takes to top up from zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

fixxxer wrote: »
    A proper type C and charger could charge the phone a lot faster then the two-ish hours it currently takes to top up from zero.

'suppose some might need this - I'd be in the 'its grand the way it is' camp :)

Me too, and as the phone costs so little, you can't expect every feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Phone arrived almost a week ago but cover only today. So am excited to start using it properly.

Have been looking at some of the top tips, features; many overlap.
    https://beebom.com/redmi-note-5-pro-features-tricks/

https://www.smartprix.com/bytes/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-pro-useful-tips-tricks/

http://www.androidbeat.com/2018/02/top-redmi-note-5-pro-tips-tricks/

Thanks again corkie (I think it was) for all the help and quick answers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How do I turn off caller id?
    Can't find it on google

Command: fastboot getvar anti

If 3 you are safe :)
    4 means f*cked up :(

If you want to flash custom rom etc, make sure not to flash MIUI Roms/Firmware after (or including):-
    Global Beta ROM
    1. If you have updated to MIUI 10 Beta ROM 8.7.6 or above, you can flash all ROMs after 8.7.6 (including 8.7.6), but you can not downgrade to Beta ROM 8.7.5 or ROM previously.
    2. If you are on Beta ROM 8.7.5 or ROM previously, you can flash your device using all those previous ROMs.

Global Stable ROM
    1. If you are on Stable ROM V 9.5.19 (It will be released soon) or ROM above, you can flash all Stable ROMs after V 9.5.19 (including V 9.5.19), but you can not flash your device to Stable ROM V9.5.17 or ROM previously.
    2. If you are on Stable ROM V 9.5.17 or ROM previously, you can flash your device using all those ROMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

How do I turn off caller id?
    Can't find it on google

tap the green phone button and then settings ( bottom left hand corner )

which versions of the phone have 2.2 apature on the camera and which have 1.9 ?....one i got my lad has 1.9 and camera is impressive to my eyes...much better than i expected.

Any recommendations on screen protectors? I've ordered the gkk case but I'd like to get a good screen protector too. All advice welcome

Otherwise its really responsive, fast fingerprint sensor, and the battery is amazing. I can get 2 days usage easy, whilst herself has to recharge her S7 twice a day.

I don't think it feels cheap at all. And no difficulties in Ireland, as long as you get the global version.

As far as whats the catch regarding the price, well there is the camera, especially in low light, and don't believe all the youtube videos telling you otherwise, the S7 camera is streets ahead. And I think the screen may be more fragile than the latest gorrilla glass on the flagships, so make sure you get a good case and tempered glass. Also, no NFC if that matters to you.

Thanks for this and the other replies. Is there access to the 'My Files' feature like other android phones?

The information about the screen quality is the a bit if a turn off but I'll have to look into it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BzrBren

If you want to flash custom rom etc, make sure not to flash MIUI Roms/Firmware after (or including):-

Does this mean if I try a custom ROM that I can't go back to miui at all..I'm only rooted since last night ha! I'm on 9.5.17 stable and my anti says 3 in fastboot.

BzrBren wrote: »
    Does this mean if I try a custom ROM that I can't go back to miui at all..I'm only rooted since last night ha! I'm on 9.5.17 stable and my anti says 3 in fastboot.

That rom doesn't have ARP, so your safe to flash custom roms.

But if you want to reflash MIUI, go with a version before the listed versions or restore a backup.

If you flash a later version MIUI, you will be stuck on it for good, in the current know situation.

Until Xiaomi or another developer comes up with a solution to disable ARP.

Also avoid flashing newer firmware zips as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BzrBren

That rom doesn't have ARP, so your safe to flash custom roms.

But if you want to reflash MIUI, go with a version before the listed versions or restore a backup.

If you flash a later version MIUI, you will be stuck on it for good, in the current know situation.

Until Xiaomi or another developer comes up with a solution to disable ARP.

Also avoid flashing newer firmware zips as well.

Thanks again! So stay away from miui and I'll be ok with the likes of RRemix..AOSPextented etc and I can flash my nandroid of miui if I want to go back to it! I won't flash any other miui ROMs.

• Advertisement

Where the best place to buy this with quick delivery? Showing no results on Honorbuy currently.

Advertisement