Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

biebiebie wrote: »
    Are you using 2 SIMs Chris?

No just one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

It might only be sucking battery under certain conditions / settings.
    Hopefully next update will be rolled out this region in the next week or so

chrisire wrote: »
    No just one
    By any chance did you debloat the phone?
    If so do you remember which apps you removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

By any chance did you debloat the phone?
    If so do you remember which apps you removed?

Just removed the mi roaming,wallpaper Carousel,clock,calendar,music app,and the browser and installed Rootless Pixel Launcher.
    also removed youtube and installed youtube vanced.

Ok I've updated to 9.5.17 manually by downloading the official update .zip from Xiaomi and updating from that.

Charging phone to 100% now and will see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ok I've updated to 9.5.17 manually by downloading the official update .zip from Xiaomi and updating from that.

Charging phone to 100% now and will see how that goes.

Would you mind throwing the link you used out here, please?

Ok sure no problem. You don't need to be root or anything for this, it'll work on stock locked bootloader.

Link is on this XDA thread here - use the OTA link

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/how-to/received-9-5-17-ota-update-t3813192

Direct OTA .zip link from that XDA thread
    http://bigota.d.miui.com/V9.5.17.0.OEIMIFA/miui-blockota-whyred_global-V9.5.14.0.OEIMIFA-V9.5.17.0.OEIMIFA-c9e15e6c66-8.1.zip

Download the zip / copy to phone
    Settings > About phone > System update
    Click the 3 dots at the top rhs > Choose download package
    Then browse to the .zip and update it

Thanks, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I generally leave Bluetooth on as I'm paired with watch, car etc.

However over the last 2 days of having Bluetooth pairing requests to share sexy-pic-1.jpg etc on the luas I've discovered that its a 'feature' of miui to always be discoverable on Bluetooth.

This is a pain.

Bar flashing a new rom, or always leaving Bluetooth off, anyone have any suggestions?

Grassey wrote: »

However over the last 2 days of having Bluetooth pairing requests to share sexy-pic-1.jpg etc on the luas I've discovered that its a 'feature' of miui to always be discoverable on Bluetooth.

This is a pain.

Bar flashing a new rom, or always leaving Bluetooth off, anyone have any suggestions?

Did you accept the pic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭corkie

This is a pain.

You got me curious, although there is no setting in Oreo RR/LOS to disable it.
    It is only visible to other devices when Bluetooth settings are open.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

fixxxer wrote:
    Did you accept the pic?

It was bad sexy...

corkie wrote:
    You got me curious, although there is no setting in Oreo RR/LOS to disable it. It is only visible to other devices when Bluetooth settings are open.

Hmmm. Annoying that it's always visible on miui. That could be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Just wanted to say thanks to Corkie for setting up this thread and keeping us up to date with everything WHYRED..

He went above and beyond when I ran into trouble after flashing Resurrection Remix ROM..

My sim wasn't being detected - thought I had done something wrong, but turned out to be a dodgy sim (was still working in my old phone)..

Delighted with the phone so far.

Thanks Corkie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

the one i got for my son i think is a fabulous phone...and i have a samsung s8+
    i would gladly live with his phone.
    its got double the battery life of my phone, and features i would like but havent got, like fm radio and double tap to wake. and the model i got him has 1.9 apature camera (as opposed to 2.2 on some models) and its a decent shooter.
    its got a great theme store (even with a superb samsung theme)...its really fast...great menus / recent app changer etc....its a fabulous phone especially in black with a black case and black wallpaper....and its got such a good screen even compared to my amoled one.

i'm done with spending a fortune on samsung flagships after seeing how good it is.
    put it this way..i bought the samsung s8+ on release and it was 950 odd euros....i bought my son the redmi note 5...my other son a nubia m2...and her indoors a MI A1...and all 3 have double battery life of mine...and...all 3 together were half what i spent on my phone !!
    big advantage of mine though is some level of waterproofing which is important to me in my work...and obviously a top end camera...but single lens, and all 3 of them phones are dual cameras although maybe not comparable on quality...but still all 3 have decent cameras.

This is a pain.

Better not give away the time/route otherwise there'll be a stampede of Redmi Note 5 owners there tomorrow! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

to add to my previous post..

Quick update on my upgrade to MiUi 9.5.17 (see a few threads back).

I charged to 100% and unplugged at 12:35pm

So 6.5 hours on and I've used only 13%

Early days I know. However preliminary observations is that battery life is now amazing for me.

Will update again when I go to charge again .. maybe on Friday!

Ps Can't wait to see how good it'll be next charge with power saving mode switched on! (Currently I have it off for the first test)

biebiebie wrote:

Just appeared as an update for me. Since this morning. No need to manually look for it.

Good stuff.
    Interesting to see if anyone else notices any difference in battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

My phone arrived this morning (Tuesday) delivered by DHL at 11am. Only ordered it on Sunday. So quick to arrive. Delighted with it so far. I've been messing around with it all day and have no complaints whatsoever. For the price it is a great phone. Cheers Corkie and the other lads.

• Advertisement

[MIUI 10] [Others] Important Announcement about Updating of Redmi Note 5 Pro/Redmi Note 5

To maintain system stability and ensure the security of the device, we have introduced a mechanism of anti-rollback. After you have updated to MIUI 10 Public ROM 8.7.5 or ROM afterwards, you can not downgrade your ROM to previous Stable ROM and Beta ROM.

If you have already updated your device to MIUI 10 Global Beta ROM 8.7.5 or ROM afterwards, please don't try to downgrade the ROM of your device. Otherwise, your device will be bricked, which may also affect your device stability.

What is unclear, is if you have an unlocked bootloader, you probably can still use fastboot to flash a prior rom?

Edit: -

[MIUI] Anti roll back policy # explained

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭dinneenp

No such thing as a stupid question but I presume SwiftKey is better than the default keyboard with the phone?

Comes running Gboard by google which i find to work perfectly. YMMV

Yep gboard fan here too.
    Have mine with a custom image in the background with subtle brightness so that the letters are still visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

GKK case arrived today. Ordered on Jun 22nd, delivered July 12th.

initial impressions are positive. Its a snug fit, has a clean finish and does not add as much bulk to the phone as I had expected. All the cutouts are there & are precisely aligned. Should offer good protection thanks to the top and bottom bumpers, more than would be offered from the gel cover that comes with the phone ( I hope!!).

It came with a screen protector, plastic film rather than tempered glass, quality not great and is better off discarding. Thankfully the case edges don't encroach on the screen so my tempered glass inserts still fit.

I have one of those on the way too. Good to hear it seems to be good quality! The case that comes with the phone is amazing, like a dried out jellyfish wrapped around the device. Its better than nothing, but not much better.

@captain_boycott

The protector that I got with my case, is the same as the one's provided by honorbuy.
    Although they are not flimsy plastic, they do feel plastic to the touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

corkie wrote: »
    @captain_boycott

The protector that I got with my case, is the same as the one's provided by honorbuy.
    Although they are not flimsy plastic, they do feel plastic to the touch.

Not the one that came in my box unfortunately. It does have the same black surround you get with a glass protector but its about half the thickness & weight of the tempered glass I got from honorbuy.

Not the one that came in my box unfortunately. It does have the same black surround you get with a glass protector but its about half the thickness & weight of the tempered glass I got from honorbuy.

Did you message the seller, maybe they ran out of stock, and shipped a cheaper version instead with the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I'm trying to order a screen protector off ebay, I prefer non-glass ones as as I find the crack and chip too easily (unless someone can recommend a good quality one?)

What version should I be buying? there are so many or will the same screen protector do the lot?
    was looking at these, really don't need six of them - I'd rather 2 good ones
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/6x-UltraClear-Screen-Protector-for-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-Pro/372236103016?hash=item56ab002d68:g:aSAAAOSwn3tal61q

Advertisement