Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

Custom Kernel for Beginners!

@UsedToWait
    In computing, a kernel controls how hardware interacts with software. This is no different in Android: Just as custom ROMs come around to replace the operating system, custom kernels come around to replace the stock Android kernels found in a phone.

Replacing a kernel with a custom one has a variety of benefits, but like custom ROMs, those benefits depend on what kernel is installed. Some kernels prioritize higher battery life, for instance, while others prioritize performance or add additional hardware features, like sliding the bottom of the screen to lock the phone or tapping it to wake it. Kernels deal more with the hardware side than the software, but can breathe new life into a device, especially one that’s having trouble with battery life or performance.

Taken from here: - Beginner’s Guide to Custom ROMs, Kernels, & Recoveries

The custom kernels available for WHYRED are still limited in there extra abilities. I got in to the habit of using them on prior devices.
    • Tweak/Give Performance profiles or Powersave options with QS tiles and widgets.
    • Kcal - Color correction on the device.
    • Wake Gestures - DTTW - Double tap to wake, although that is present in some RR also. Missing from Kenzo
    • overclock/underclock CPU
    • overclock/underclock GPU

and more features depending on kernel.

If you don't want them features there is no need to use it.
    Unlock Bootloader, TWRP, Resurrection Remix, Gapps, Magisk, Root, ?Kernel?

Correct order, Magisk is the rooting application. You forgot gapps (use one without Gcam, if you want to install Gcam Ports)
    Plus I got into the habit booting and backing up the rom before flashing the Kernel. Just in case it has conflicts are not performing well, also to be able to restore stock kernel to try a different kernel. Kernel is your Boot image.

Came in handy, recently when on prior rom + kernel, was giving poor battery backup.

@allthedoyles Google TalkBack and Google Text-to-Speech or both available from playstore if for some reason, not present on your device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^ fair play Corkie

I love Boards for the way people share their knowledge so freely..

Also recently took the plunge into Enigma2 boxes, which would have been impenetrable without The High Horse Brigade sharing his saved image, and advice...

Bootloader unlocking exemption removed now, you will be looking at possible 360 Hours

That equals 15 Days.

Note: - Seek permission and try the unlocking procedure asap, because the timer only starts with your first attempt at unlocking.

Unlocking the bootloader

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I purchased tempered glass screen protector, and although it fits pretty well, the inside corners are square whilst the phone screen itself is rounded. You don't really lose much, just a pity it takes a little away from the look of an otherwise great screen.

It's odd, I ordered 2, the black one has rounded edges, the white square. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

corkie wrote: »

@allthedoyles Google TalkBack and Google Text-to-Speech or both available from playstore if for some reason, not present on your device.

@corkie,
    From using my present Redmi 4x , I think text-to-speech and talkback are totally different from select to speak.

With s-to-s you have a floating flag on the home screen at all times and you can select any text you want read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I am looking at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 but not interested in unlocking or flashing the device. Anyone who hasn't done this would they still recommend the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

@corkie,
    From using my present Redmi 4x , I think text-to-speech and talkback are totally different from select to speak.

With s-to-s you have a floating flag on the home screen at all times and you can select any text you want read

To put your mind at rest, I enabled select-to-speech on the RN5. At first nothing changed, but after rebooting the phone, the icon appeared and it works perfectly.

Klopp wrote: »
    I am looking at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 but not interested in unlocking or flashing the device. Anyone who hasn't done this would they still recommend the phone?

I haven't yet (first phone not to be in last 12 years)- No issues with it unlocked, missus was so impressed with it had to order her one too.

Klopp wrote: »

yes, of course. You don't need to unlock for this to be a great phone.

I've flashed my previous phones, and will on the RN5 too at some stage once I get bored with it, but for now, stock is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

yes, of course. You don't need to unlock for this to be a great phone.

I've flashed my previous phones, and will on the RN5 too at some stage once I get bored with it, but for now, stock is fine.

I thought that might be case but just wanted to be sure.

• Advertisement

@corkie,

To put your mind at rest, I enabled select-to-speech on the RN5. At first nothing changed, but after rebooting the phone, the icon appeared and it works perfectly.

https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/7349565?hl=en

^^^ select to speak is a feature of the talkback app!

^^^ Just installed on a custom rom and was able to use that feature.

https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/7349565?hl=en

^^^ select to speak is a feature of the talkback app!

^^^ Just installed on a custom rom and was able to use that feature.

@corkie - Thanks . When the RN5 arrives , I will let you know if we need further help as this feature is important to the user. :)

@corkie - Thanks . When the RN5 arrives , I will let you know if we need further help as this feature is important to the user. :)

MIUI's implementation of that feature maybe better than Google's. And should come by default on the device.

MIUI uses a floating button, where google adds a button to your nav bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for the thread guys,
    I bit the bullet on this one with a screen protector and case from honorbuy for €219.42 delivered.
    Never had a 6" screen before, usually stopped at 5.5 so this will be interesting.

Moving from the Note 4

• Registered Users Posts: 16,604 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for the thread guys,
    I bit the bullet on this one with a screen protector and case from honorbuy for €219.42 delivered.
    Never had a 6" screen before, usually stopped at 5.5 so this will be interesting.

Moving from the Note 4

It's actually smaller in the hand the the Note 4.
    It is a much better fit in the hand and easier to use 1 handed.

Thanks for Sharing!

MIUI 10 Beta for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro (India – Whyred)

^^^ I know it says India, but is actually the Global rom, India uses the same rom.

Grassey wrote: »
    It's odd, I ordered 2, the black one has rounded edges, the white square. Bizarre.

Grassey, can you check the black protector to see if it has a cut out for the front camera?

On my white one, not only are the corners square but there are 3 openings on right side, none on the left so the glass covers the camera.

Only realised when I noticed how washed out all my selfies are!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Hi all want to buy one of these phones. Just have a few questions
    /www.honorbuy.com/1385-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html
    Is this one of the phones to go for?
    will it work straight out of the box ?
    any other web sites to consider
    best place to get a decent case for it?
    Anything else i need to know?
    Thanks in advance
    Robie

robie5 wrote: »
    Hi all want to buy one of these phones. Just have a few questions
    www.honorbuy.com/1385-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html
    Is this one of the phones to go for?
    will it work straight out of the box ?
    any other web sites to consider
    best place to get a decent case for it?
    Anything else i need to know?
    Thanks in advance
    Robie

That is the correct version and same place I bought mine.

Aliexpress Goldway has it for €204.39 incl. VAT Free Shipping, about €10 cheaper than honorbuy (when add shipping)

For cases I linked two in the thread.

Case 1 currently on my device. << Comes with glass protector.

Case 2, ordered recently and waiting on delivery.

This thread has grown, now into 20 pages. I think someone else has linked other cases. Hard to browse through the whole thread, maybe trying a search on the thread.

Edit: - Works out of the box, takes Nano Sim (<< Look for multisim if you have bigger),

If your first xiaomi device, read the xiaomi reddit wiki and browse XDA Forums for device.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

That is the correct version and same place I bought mine.

Aliexpress Goldway has it for €204.39 incl. VAT Free Shipping, about €10 cheaper than honorbuy (when add shipping)

For cases I linked two in the thread.

Case 1 currently on my device. << Comes with glass protector.

Case 2, ordered recently and waiting on delivery.

This thread has grown, now into 20 pages. I think someone else has linked other cases. Hard to browse through the whole thread, maybe trying a search on the thread.

Edit: - Works out of the box, takes Nano Sim (<< Look for multisim if you have bigger),

If your first xiaomi device, read the xiaomi reddit wiki and browse XDA Forums for device.
    I got a protector and case buying from honorbuy band used the kimovil code to get them for free. It's makes the difference in cost negligible.
    It's also quicker delivery.

Grassey, can you check the black protector to see if it has a cut out for the front camera?

On my white one, not only are the corners square but there are 3 openings on right side, none on the left so the glass covers the camera.

Yup, both have correct cutouts. Had another 2 arrive with the phone cases, they have square corners and an extra cutout beside the left camera. Odd that!

Grassey wrote: »
    Yup, both have correct cutouts. Had another 2 arrive with the phone cases, they have square corners and an extra cutout beside the left camera. Odd that!
    Thanks, better a cut out extra, than one with it missing! With all the varients of Notes that Xiaomi produce its not supprising there is variation in the protectors too.

I got 2 of these (white) along with phone from honorbuy. Anyone got a link from a Europe source for a known good screen protector, global version?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A friend of mine is about to order from Honorbuy. I know it comes with a case but has anyone got the screen protector from Honorbuy & does it fit properly ?

Discodog wrote: »
    A friend of mine is about to order from Honorbuy. I know it comes with a case but has anyone got the screen protector from Honorbuy & does it fit properly ?

I got 2 x white from them last week, they both fit, just that the camera is covered by glass and corners are straight not rounded.

I got 2 x white from them last week, they both fit, just that the camera is covered by glass and corners are straight not rounded.

Very odd. The two I ordered from honorbuy were fine as regards the camera cut outs. Thought the white had square corners (not as per pic)

https://www.honorbuy.com/1361-full-cover-protection-tempered-glass-screen-protector-for-redmi-note-5-global-versionredmi-note-5.html#/color-black

The covers with the extra camera (?) cutout came with the gkk case linked at start of thread

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32857636521.html?

Hopefully the perfect screen protector will appear. I had to try several on my Note 4. The camera/led cut out problem was caused by the difference between different versions of the phone. The correct screen protector for the Note 4 global was actually the one for the 4x.

Just to clarify re. the white tempered glass protector from honorbuy, there is an opening for the camera on the white surround, just that it's not drilled thru. Hence the front camera works, thru the glass, but pictures are a little washed out looking as a result.

Just to clarify re. the white tempered glass protector from honorbuy, there is an opening for the camera on the white surround, just that it's not drilled thru. Hence the front camera works, thru the glass, but pictures are a little washed out looking as a result.

Thanks. Looks like the Note 4 problem over again. Because of the curved glass you have to use a protector with a frame & that gives problems with cases. I finally found a combination that works with the Note 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

thanks corkie, reading through all that. One other question. Is it dual active sim? where i can have two sims operating at the same time.

Advertisement