Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭corkie

0lddog wrote: »
    Mostly I have had to use tethering as a last resort when travelling abroad. Would be good retain this 'get out of jail' option.
    Any idea if recent custom android ROMs for other handsets have been omitting the restriction ?

As networks send configuration data to your device when you use the sim first time in a phone. Including APN settings.

People with iOS devices, have been caught tethering by networks, because of it using a specific APN for tethering.

Reports that the latest pixel devices also are affected by it.

You would need to research it yourself, because it is kind off topic discussion for this thread, and I'm not sure if we are allowed to discuss methods to get around the restriction on boards.

Start here: -

Android Tethering and APN Carrier Config restrictions <<< 8 Months old post.

How to Hide Data Usage and Get Truly “Unlimited” Tethering with T-Mobile <<< 2016 Article.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Has anyone come across a decent slim yet grippy case that's all red?

I've ordered the Simspeak black drop protection case from Amazom. Very similar to a Spigen design.

So looking for a red one now (I like to swap things up)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Honorbuy were great for the phone but strangely want €12 postage for two extra screen protectors. I queried it & got a great long explanation that makes no sense.

Discodog wrote: »
    Honorbuy were great for the phone but strangely want €12 postage for two extra screen protectors. I queried it & got a great long explanation that makes no sense.

If you had ordered with your phone, your only charge €1 extra each for delivery.

Source them off aliexpress, shipping is only taking about 3 weeks at present.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

corkie wrote: »
    If you had ordered with your phone, your only charge €1 extra each for delivery.

Source them off aliexpress, shipping is only taking about 3 weeks at present.

One was ordered with the phone & it broke.

Do you or anyone have an ali link for ones that fit with the right cutouts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

my son, 17, has my old samsung galaxy note 4...a phone i adored when it was mine....but theres issues with charging and battery...it dies at random percentages and takes ages to charge...tried new batteries, resets, even a new rom (linage)
    anyway....ordered a 3gb 32gb redmi note 5 global...it seems good from youtube videos but i know from experience how different phones can be in the hand.
    my question is, do you think it'll be an acceptable replacement for that faulty galaxy note 4 for him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

dougm1970 wrote: »
    my son, 17, has my old samsung galaxy note 4...a phone i adored when it was mine....but theres issues with charging and battery...it dies at random percentages and takes ages to charge...tried new batteries, resets, even a new rom (linage)
    anyway....ordered a 3gb 32gb redmi note 5 global...it seems good from youtube videos but i know from experience how different phones can be in the hand.
    my question is, do you think it'll be an acceptable replacement for that faulty galaxy note 4 for him ?

Galaxy Note 4 was my last phone before Redmi Note 4 (and now RN5) and so I'd say yes, its a big upgrade - better battery, smoother performance, fast fingerprint scanner, etc - it should be fine (as long as he does not expect an S-Pen)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

dougm1970 wrote:

I moved from a galaxy note 4 to this. Slightly longer, but feels narrower, thinner too, so easier in the hand. FWIW I had the exact same battery issues that prompted my move!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I recommend Nillkin brand of glass screen protector used them on iPhones and currently on my one plus great here is a link to seller I use parcel motel and usually have them within 2 weeks
    Nillkin Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Tempered Glass Amazing H Screen Protector Glass For Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Global Version
    http://s.aliexpress.com/JVRR3yyi?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KyleJJE

AliExpress have a Global Version and Global ROM options for sale from the same store. There is €20 in the difference (global rom cheaper). Why is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I ordered a iaomiX redmi note 4x and it has MIUI installed not Android.

Can someone point me in the right direction where i can download Android One with steps and install it on this device?

Klopp wrote: »
    I ordered a iaomiX redmi note 4x and it has MIUI installed not Android.

Can someone point me in the right direction where i can download Android One with steps and install it on this device?

You can not put Android One on the device. You should have researched the device before hand and got the Mi A1, if you wanted that.

The options open to you, is to unlock the device and flash a custom rom of your choosing.

You might get more assistance in the device thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭wiz569

I recommend Nillkin brand of glass screen protector used them on iPhones and currently on my one plus great here is a link to seller I use parcel motel and usually have them within 2 weeks
    Nillkin Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Tempered Glass Amazing H Screen Protector Glass For Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Global Version

Your link was borked :pac:

https://aliexpress.com/item/Nillkin-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-Tempered-Glass-Amazing-H-Screen-Protector-Glass-For-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note/32856977365.html?shortkey=JVRR3yyi&addresstype=600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭south

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TOBOCLOO-Full-Tempered-Glass-For-Xiaomi-RedMi-Note5-Note-5-Pro-Global-Version-5-99-inch/32861801492.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.79784c4dinLTOF

Ordered these on the 8th of June and the arrived on Monday last. Perfect fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

Hi all, well bought the phone, its in Gatwick. Getting excited. That was till I went into the guys in MY TAXI . Yes I drive a taxi. They tell me there can be issues with the GPS on Xiaomi phones and their app. Didn't specify which models though. Anyone know of ant gps issues ? An example he said it would freeze in one location and then phone would need to be restarted to begin in new area.

robie5 wrote: »
    Hi all, well bought the phone, its in Gatwick. Getting excited. That was till I went into the guys in MY TAXI . Yes I drive a taxi. They tell me there can be issues with the GPS on Xiaomi phones and their app. Didn't specify which models though. Anyone know of ant gps issues ? An example he said it would freeze in one location and then phone would need to be restarted to begin in new area.

Have two snapdragon xiaomi devices and never had a problem with GPS.

Kenzo + Whyred

Some reports of bad GPS on Mediatek devices!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

My dad is a taxi driver and uses that app,he has the note 5 about a month now with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

thanks chrisire. would you double check with him? Would rather sell it on than open it and it not work. Not much came up on google about it. He said to me "because they are calibrated in China they no good for European market". Im no it guy but that doesn't make sense. That would mean half the phones wouldn't be working here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

My understanding of it all is that the RN5 needs B20 to work with GPS in Ireland.
    Am I wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭wiz569

My understanding of it all is that the RN5 needs B20 to work with GPS in Ireland.
    Am I wrong ?

You are wrong :)

B20 allows 4g connection out in the sticks so to speak, if using data connection for GPS assist 3g will work fine.

• Advertisement

Nilkin are good but I don't like the notch design. The full screen ones are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobby_D

I think when xiaomi were using the early mediatek chipsets there were issues with the gps and other chinese brands also had the same issue, They got a bad name for their gps capability around this time i had poor dps on an old jiayu and neo (oither chinese brands) that I have owned i the past.
    Where as the redmi note 5 pro uses a snapdragon soc and I havent had any issues when using the gps.
    Granted I only us it when cycling or tracking my runs but its pinpoint even when running on grass or hills in the local park and not on the roads.
    I have been happy with its performance over the last 3 weeks or so, but wouldnt use it as much as you would in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

thanks chrisire. would you double check with him? Would rather sell it on than open it and it not work. Not much came up on google about it. He said to me "because they are calibrated in China they no good for European market". Im no it guy but that doesn't make sense. That would mean half the phones wouldn't be working here.

Yep it all works fine for him,before it he had the Xioami Mi Max 2 and never had a problem with that one either,he has the app running nearly all day with no issues whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Hi all, well bought the phone, its in Gatwick. Getting excited
    How long did it take to get to Gatwick from your first dispatch email?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Just got this screen protector and case from honorbuy

https://www.honorbuy.com/1361-full-cover-protection-tempered-glass-screen-protector-for-redmi-note-5-global-versionredmi-note-5.html

https://www.honorbuy.com/1366-smart-view-flip-leather-case-for-redmi-note-5-global-versionredmi-note-5.html

Would not recommend either one. No matter how I try and fit the glass, it leave a wavy multi coloured lines across the screen. I've used the wipes included and multiple screens( I ordered a few as they were cheap) I've fitted loads of theses over the years and this model is very poor

The case is cheaply made, it's not "leather" as advertised and it doesn't close fully. Also the window is a really cheap plastic that makes the screen look awful.

@ryaner777 Did you let your device, dry out after using the wipes?

I didn't and had moisture bubble, under the glass for a while.

I removed the protector and dried out my device. But the protector still kept a small bit of damp.

I only see the moisture bubble at night time, and it doesn't affect the look of the display.

It is not as bad, as it was originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Yeah, even used multiple clothes as well as the one included for drying in the included with the screen and ones I have for my eye glasses to make sure there was nothing on it.

Unless, it's something to do with the temperature at the moment or the moisture content in the air where I am. I'll give it another try later with one of the spares I bought.

They fit really well and all the holes are cut out correctly in case anyone was wondering.

got my one (present for my son) this morning...its thursday today and i ordered on honorbuy on monday.
    i have had amoled screens so long i dont like any phone not amoled as it strains my eyes...but this phone has an exceptional non amoled screen...despite the impression youtube videos gave me it gets very bright.
    also...camera is a lot better than expected...i feel lucky to have got a model with 1.9 apature rather than 2.2 which i also see listed.
    the theme store is very good. s9 theme changes menu buttons too so its really like one.
    yes, i am more impressed than i had hoped or expected.
    i spent an hour adding apps etc wallpaper and such things...and battery was at 92% !!
    love little things too...recent apps menu look...double tap to wake (a feature i love and my samsung s8+ hasnt got)
    no issues at all setting it up. hopefully all ok when i give it to him and add his sim card....waiting on a case and tempered glass, not a hope hes getting it unprotected.

• Advertisement

Official LineageOS Rom due soon!
    Status update
    So many people have been asking about Official status for Los and we would like to announce that Whyred is now an OFFICIAL device. It took us sometime due to busy schedule.

We would like to thank one of the best whyred dev @GuaiYiHU (Mokee dev) for his support all along and our testers, of course, @mihran_thalhath @Venu_GopalU @xs9627 @zyu0090, @cdutsov
    and @abhishek987 for guiding with the official process .

Here is the source....I hope we can see some contribution which would improve the user experience rather than just leech off in the name of open source.
    https://github.com/Whyred-Dev

F.Y.I for people who dont know about OFFICIAL los requirements..have a look
    https://github.com/LineageOS/charter

Quote Taken from this XDA Thread!

Now the choice, stay on RR, which I'm enjoying using or switch back to not as feature rich LOS.

I wonder what others will do?

Advertisement