Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KyleJJE

I'm looking for the best possibly phone for under €300 with v.good to excellent camera. Is this the phone to get or is there something better.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

What type of price has everyone being paying on Goldway since it's release?

Currently black is dearest $206.89 followed by blue $205.89 then gold $193.89.

Looking at the black it'll cost
    US $209.89
    Shipping :US $26.00
    Total :US $235.89
    202.22 Euro approx

Something in the back of my mind tells me the price has risen slightly recently. I thought the black was the same price as the gold. But I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Thats very similar to the honorbuy price and that only takes 48 hours to arrive.

Honorbuy seems to cost the following?

Black $229.99
    Total shipping: $26.00
    Total: $255.99
    So 219.48 Euro approx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭corkie

biebiebie wrote: »

See here. For the price beginning of May. So even cheaper at this stage.

Goldway: - 4/64gb Standard with case including €22.54 shipping ~~~ In Euro = €201.84

HonorBuy: - €195.49 + €22 Shipping ~~~ €217.49

^^^ With possible €5 euro of with KIMOVIL Code, if still valid.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Carriers can control APN used for tethering with Oreo & Nougat ( even on non carrier locked handsets ) ?

If true, ( and as an occasional tetherer ) I wouldnt be the greatest fan of such enhancement

Is there an easy way for a Note 5 to steer around this ?

Removed incorrect Goldway link

Cheers Corkie. So close to pulling the trigger now!
    What's the deal with the plug with Goldway?
    It says they'll send an adopter for your country.
    Did they send an EU or UK adopter?
    Or Did anyone specifically add a note to request the UK adopter?
    We will send the correct Plug Adapter that suitable for the country in the shipping address:

So I assume you will get a UK Adapter, the only thing is the adapter you get is not fused and is cheap adapter.

So you would probably better of get one of these somewhere.

Any compatible charger will work fine. Never used the included charger with my device. Have these sockets that I got from a deal, last year.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Also another last minute question if you don't mind.
    Is the Glass Film Package the one to get? (Not the Nilkin)
    Does it cover the camera lens at the top or are there cutouts?

Also another last minute question if you don't mind.
    Is the Glass Film Package the one to get? (Not the Nilkin)
    Does it cover the camera lens at the top or are there cutouts?

I got my device with Glass from Honorbuy.

So don't know what quality the version, from goldway is. It is worth getting anyway. Until you source a good quality version, if the one supplied is not good.

Someone who order from them with it, would need to reply.

• Advertisement

Ah right thanks Corkie.
    I'm chewing my nails whilst hovering over the Buy button haha!

corkie wrote: »

See here. For the price beginning of May. So even cheaper at this stage.

[Goldway Link removed]
    4/64gb Standard with case including €22.54 shipping ~~~ In Euro = €189.70

HonorBuy: - €195.49 + €22 Shipping ~~~ €217.49

^^^ With possible €5 euro of with KIMOVIL Code, if still valid.
    Corkie I believe you might have linked to a version on Goldway with no band 20? So not the international version?
    Maybe can you edit the link to prevent anyone from buying the wrong version.

Corkie I believe you might have linked to a version on Goldway with no band 20? So not the international version?

Well spotted! Post edited with correct link and price.

Well spotted! Post edited with correct link and price.
    Phew!
    Almost bought it myself... Thank goodness I doubled checked!
    Disaster averted!

Phew!
    Almost bought it myself... Thank goodness I doubled checked!
    Disaster averted!

Sorry about that, the Price been so low should have been a clue to me.

@0lddog Carrier APN settings is old news, and if your network implements it, there is not much can be done about it. There is apps for tethering I believe that don't change the protocol use and would not alert your network.

Tethering on Three network is not allowed anyway (even with them turning a blind eye to it), unless you specifically on a plan that allows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

corkie wrote:
    I got my device with Glass from Honorbuy.

Guess it works, the missus's lasted only a week. New record!

Grassey wrote: »
    Guess it works, the missus's lasted only a week. New record!

What only lasted a week, the protector or the device itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

corkie wrote:
    What only lasted a week, the protector or the device itself.

Sorry, on a reread I realise I wasn't very clear 😂

The glass screen protector from honorbuy

Well there we go, I just joined the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

KyleJJE wrote: »
    I'm looking for the best possibly phone for under €300 with v.good to excellent camera. Is this the phone to get or is there something better.

Thanks

I loved my note 4, before I dropped it and broke the glass! But the silver lining was that I had an excuse to upgrade to the Note 5, and there was a lot of reviews online touting the much improved camera on the new model. Sadly, whilst perhaps an improvement over the RN4, the camera is still the weak point, especially in low light. Spent a lot of time over the weekend comparing the note 5 camera with a 2 year old Samsung S7, and the Samsung still wins hands down.

Dont get me wrong, the Note 5 is a great phone for the price and I love it, but I would not recommend it to anyone who has excellent camera performance on the top of their wish list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I loved my note 4, before I dropped it and broke the glass! But the silver lining was that I had an excuse to upgrade to the Note 5, and there was a lot of reviews online touting the much improved camera on the new model. Sadly, whilst perhaps an improvement over the RN4, the camera is still the weak point, especially in low light. Spent a lot of time over the weekend comparing the note 5 camera with a 2 year old Samsung S7, and the Samsung still wins hands down.

Dont get me wrong, the Note 5 is a great phone for the price and I love it, but I would not recommend it to anyone who has excellent camera performance on the top of their wish list.

^ have you tried any of the alternative software options posted already on the thread : Google camera, a port of the Mi A1 app, and a port of the Nokia camera app?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ have you tried any of the alternative software options posted already on the thread : Google camera, a port of the Mi A1 app, and a port of the Nokia camera app?

Yep - tried them all, a little better quality (but miss using the fingerprint to shoot!)

So which camera app is best for low light then?

I don't mind having to use 2 camera apps if it means the photos are improved under certain conditions eg low light.

Btw I believe that with Open Camera you can video in 4K with EIS !!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera

Interesting camera comparison with Samsung S7

https://youtu.be/muGQvPg_kgE

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mmatz

Ordered mine from Goldway on 19th, still in transit, currently at Essex.
    According to tracking info, delivery HK>UK via UPS, UK>IE via DHL.
    Can't wait to tinker with the software. :)

Also, Fonezone at Moore St is selling 4/64 global for €289.

mmatz wrote: »
    Ordered mine from Goldway on 19th, still in transit, currently at Essex.
    According to tracking info, delivery HK>UK via UPS, UK>IE via DHL.
    Can't wait to tinker with the software. :)
    I'm exactly 7 days behind you. Ordered yesterday and got dispatch notification early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BzrBren

https://www.honorbuy.com/1385-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

I ordered on Saturday and arrived yesterday....couldnd be more straight forward....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

BzrBren wrote: »
    https://www.honorbuy.com/1385-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

I ordered on Saturday and arrived yesterday....couldnd be more straight forward....

Should have bougbt through honorbuy...bugger

Should have bougbt through honorbuy...bugger
    I suppose it depends on what your priority is.
    Want it faster? Go with HonorBuy
    Want it cheaper? Go with Goldway

In my case I don't mind the additional (week?) wait so cheaper was my preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

@0lddog Carrier APN settings is old news, and if your network implements it, there is not much can be done about it. .......

Mostly I have had to use tethering as a last resort when travelling abroad. Would be good retain this 'get out of jail' option.
    Any idea if recent custom android ROMs for other handsets have been omitting the restriction ?

Advertisement