Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Beginner's Game: Act 1, Scene 3: The Hunted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

OldGoat wrote: »
    OOC: 2! Ha, I'm a natural.

Aesc recovers 5 darts from the cartridge. Their poison tips are uncapped so careful handling will be necessary to avoid any unintentional application. Aside from the now-empty cartridge there's nothing else of note on the cart.

Webby waves Fector over, making light of the situation. "Hammerchop, more like Swagger-Stump... AMIRIGHT?" He smiles sympathetically at Fector as he jokes at his expense.

"C'mon Stagger-Hop' You can lean on the Halfling Bi-pod, I'll leg it for the both of us".

Webby lets Fector lean onto his shoulder, while he holds forward the light, aiming at the green slime to deter it from coming closer as they move past it.

While it's slow going, with the torch to keep it at bay Webby, Stu and Fector make it past the slime, catching up to Echtrae further up the corridor where it turns eastwards. There's very little of interest to note in this stretch - there's a torch on the wall at the corner where they stand, another at the far end and very little lighting in between.
    Hidden_Dungeon_Corridor_%2B_Safe.png

They hear a deep rumble followed by a pained scream echoing from further ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

As her mind begins to dim for the final time, Lalwende reflects on her short life. She recounts her childhood spent in ivory tower in splendid isolation as the only child of a king. She wonders if her death will have any meaning for others and she realises that the last altruistic thought she can ever have is that her belongings, including her rations, potion, and spell book, may be of help. She emits a final low gurgle and her mind finally descends into complete and utter nothingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

"What the...." gasps Echtrae as his fellow condemed join him.

"How?.... never mind, here take this quarterstaff and try to fashion some sort of crutch from it".

"Where's your sword? This seems to be the only way" Echtrae nods to the corner, "but i saw a figure walk out of view from the torchlight up ahead. The only way is forward but how do we proceed?"

"I have a healing potion, if you are feeling weak. It wont cure your leg but might restore your strength should you need it ahead."

Echtrae holds the potion towards Fector.

As her mind begins to dim for the final time, Lalwende reflects on her short life. She recounts her childhood spent in ivory tower in splendid isolation as the only child of a king. She wonders if her death will have any meaning for others and she realises that the last altruistic thought she can ever have is that her belongings, including her rations, potion, and spell book, may be of help. She emits a final low gurgle and her mind finally descends into complete and utter nothingness.

"Tink we got im, Mash"
    "We gunna be rich! You much cleva!"
    "Tanks! Wait, you sure it him?"
    "Look like him?"
    "Look like humie anyhows"
    "Humies got rounds ears! Dat elf!"
    "Shame. No money for elf. What we do?"
    "Tinkin... Mebbe... We spooj?"
    "Me can't spooj while you watchin, Barfas! Don we need utha end for Spooj?"
    "End not matter for Spooj."
    "It boy or girl?"
    "It elf. Kinda not matter"
    "You think she want Spooj?"
    "If you ask, it not really Spooj"
    "You think it dead?"
    "You not gettin dis Spooj ting at all, Mash."

Lalwende comes round, trying to cough but there's not enough air in her lungs. Blood and drool treacle out of her mouth. There are two orcs in front of her arguing.

• Advertisement

Lalwende struggles for breath as consciousness seeps back into her mind. She notices two creatures barking at each other in the gloom. Peering, with her trusty infravision, she realises that they are not on an elfatarion mission and fears the worst. Trapped and in pain, she feels defenceless and hopeless. She tries to calm her mind and trusts her fate to the Elvish god Mourinho. "If Mourinho wills it then so be it." she murmurs quietly to herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

While it's slow going, with the torch to keep it at bay Webby, Stu and Fector make it past the slime, catching up to Echtrae further up the corridor where it turns eastwards. There's very little of interest to note in this stretch - there's a torch on the wall at the corner where they stand, another at the far end and very little lighting in between.
    Hidden_Dungeon_Corridor_%2B_Safe.png

They hear a deep rumble followed by a pained scream echoing from further ahead.

"What was that?!" Webby utters as he hears the thump and scream in the distance.

"We better go and check it out".

Webby moves into the darker part of the corridor, keeping the way in front of him lit with the torch.

Webby waves his party over.

"Comon!"

Webby's half-ling instinct kicks in with the hair on his feet now standing up and pointing the way forward. He picks up the pace and makes it down the corridor, he hears murmering and moaning coming from the north corridor.

He goes to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Stu tries to remove the torch from the wall and catch up with Webby.

Webby's half-ling instinct kicks in with the hair on his feet now standing up and pointing the way forward. He picks up the pace and makes it down the corridor, he hears murmering and moaning coming from the north corridor.

He goes to explore.

The corridor continues on north, before abruptly ending at a pile of rubble from which 2 legs protrude. There's a gap at the top of this pile, intermittently lit by flickering torchlight from the other side. Webby can hear to voices arguing

"Me only wants spooj for love tho!"
    "Da hears you say that, him clip you!"
    "Ah Da hears nuffin, just blah blahs bout Balcmeg and Spooj, Spooj n Balcmeg..."
    There's the distinctive sound of a hand clipping the back of a head
    "Ow! Barfas! You watch, or you get..."
    "Get what, huh? You weak, me strong, mes in charge till we gets home. Da say!"
    "So how we get home huh? Knife ears broke tunnel!"
    "YOU BROKE TUNNEL! You say you smart, you catch stupid humie, now we gots no way home, gotta hope some veenyent portal come long..."
    "Yeah, deys very veenyent...."

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Stu tries to remove the torch from the wall and catch up with Webby.

Stu takes a torch and runs ahead with Webby.
    Fector limps along behind in the darkness, unable to keep up.

OOC : Up to Echtrae - who has a torch - whether he wants to hang back with Fector or run on ahead. Reminder : Fector has limited ability to see in the dark, and still has 1 good foot. So don't feel too sorry for him :D

Lalwende struggles for breath as consciousness seeps back into her mind. She notices two creatures barking at each other in the gloom. Peering, with her trusty infravision, she realises that they are not on an elfatarion mission and fears the worst. Trapped and in pain, she feels defenceless and hopeless. She tries to calm her mind and trusts her fate to the Elvish god Mourinho. "If Mourinho wills it then so be it." she murmurs quietly to herself.

"Is speakin'! So not deads then. Kinda spoils mood..."
    "You weird, B. Mon, less find a portal."

Lalwende is initially unclear on whether her vision is dimming or the two figures are leaving. The pain in her ribs suggests Mourinho isn't done with her yet though. Perhaps she is one of his special ones?

Webby carefully climbs on top of the pile, puts on a groggy voice and attempts to mimic the creatures on the other side of the rubble.

"Me hear you on dis side of tunnel, me hear you spooj for love?"
    "WHAHAHAHAHA, you must be spooja, not spoojar"
    "Da maybe no hears nuffin, but me tella da truff!"
    "You fix knife ear and fix tunnel and I give you stupid humie..."
    "Me find dis humie on floor next to knife ears..."
    "Now Hurry or I tella da truff to big boss!"

Lalwende hears the unintelligible barking fade away as the two figures seem to disappear down the corridor. As the initial terror fades, her pain forces its way into her consciousness. She bites her lip and prays silently. "Oh Mourinho, oh most special one, look down upon your daughter and take pity. Give her one more chance to play on the field of life."

Webby carefully climbs on top of the pile, puts on a groggy voice and attempts to mimic the creatures on the other side of the rubble.

"Me hear you on dis side of tunnel, me hear you spooj for love?"
    "WHAHAHAHAHA, you must be spooja, not spoojar"
    "Da maybe no hears nuffin, but me tella da truff!"
    "You fix knife ear and fix tunnel and I give you stupid humie..."
    "Me find dis humie on floor next to knife ears..."
    "Now Hurry or I tella da truff to big boss!"

The two orcs hear the call and start coming back towards the rubble.
    "Dat you Brog? Watchoo doin here? Yoo sposed to be wit Da! Stop 'im Spoojin da kobold."
    "Yoo keep mits off Humie, Brog! Weez got im fair n square!"
    "Shhhhh! Keep 'im tokkin, Barfas - we dig fru! Den pound 'im!"
    "uh... uh... Brog! Joo so brave commin' out here by yusself. Um... Joo like apples?"
    Mash and Barfas begin pulling at the rubble, flinging loose stone and mortar behind them as they try to widen the hole. They pay little heed to the stability of the debris already beneath them, and Lalwende feels it slip, constricting her already crushed chest.

OOC: Sorry, Lalwende, that's another HP of damage, you're on your last 1!

Lalwende's vision blurs but she can feel a presence... something watching over her. A spectral comforting face appears and she is reassured - it's going to be ok
    mou_thumbs_reuters-454844.jpg
    Above the Orcs, more of the roof gives way, a spherical boulder about 8.65 inches in diameter falling and striking Barfas on the head, crushing his skull. Mash lets out a scream and tries frantically to fit the pieces back together, at least close enough that Da won't notice the difference.
    "Brog! HELP!" he shouts.

Echtrae puts Fectors arm around him and pulls him hopping to follow the rest of the crew.

"Come on hop along, we can't leave you here on your own and safety in numbers. If we can catch up with them".

Ooc: hopefully this is allowed?

Guffy wrote: »
    Echtrae puts Fectors arm around him and pulls him hopping to follow the rest of the crew.

"Come on hop along, we can't leave you here on your own and safety in numbers. If we can catch up with them".

Ooc: hopefully this is allowed?

OOC : No problem, he has your Quarterstaff as a crutch, so with help he'd be able to match normal pace for short periods of time. Webby took off at full pelt though, so...

With Echtrae under one arm and a quarter staff to lean on with the other, Fector strikes a decent pace - they turn north at the T junction, finding Webby, Stu and a pair of unclaimed feet sticking out of some rubble. There's a crash and clunk of heavy stone falling, a sickening crunch and a guttural shout for help.

Meanwhile, in the Mask Room

While Aesc glories in his acquisition of poisonous darts, Eirenaios, 9 Lives and Brutha become aware of the sound of footsteps coming from the corridor beyond the western arch. A voice calls out

"Hey, Eirenaios! What is taking so long? Supervisor's raging! You know we have to be clear before they let the Hunter loose. You huffing those darts again?"

"Mash?! Dat Yoo?!?!"

"What Yoo dun to Barfas?!"

"Da gon'be so mad!"

"Yoo wonbe spoojin oudda dis, not wit Kobold or knife ears!"

Webby remains silent a bit and then starts tapping with his foot on the floor...

"Keep diggin' I tink i hear Da comin dis way! I dig dis side!"

"Dont smash knife ears, me want a warm spooj.."

Webby takes a deep breath, then instills a sense of urgency and stress into his voice...

"Hu... Huu... Huurry B-b-arfas, me tink da tiny humie is waking up... his hairy tootsies be movin..."

Webby puts the torch next to the rubble, in a position so the opening becomes illuminated. He takes a step back, pulls out his bow and arrow, readies the arrow and waits for the Orc to come through.

Lalwende feels a searing pain in her chest as more rubble falls from the ceiling. As chemicals flood her brain, a vision appears of a smiling Mourinho, a man/god beckoning her as if she were about to be substituted off the pitch of life. Unsure if she is hallucinating, she wonders if the muscular tall dark man in a red shirt and white shorts next to Mourinho is also a god or yet another one of Mourinho's failures taken out of the game of life. Soothed by the vision of Mourinho, she feels drawn towards him as her life force ebbs away.

• Advertisement

OOC : Sorry, Prof : you can't die till I say it's ok. This is Labyrinth Lord, not Dignitas Duke.

Mash looks at his gore covered hands, at the broken egg that used to be Barfas's face. Brog will think he did this! All because he's never spoojed! If Da finds out... by the hounds of Baghtru! The hole is still too small for him to fit through. He'll have to run - but where? There's no where to go. Wait! She will know what to do!

He wipes his hands clean on Barfas's loin cloth, then licks Lalwende's cheek.
    "Soz, doll - wuz nevva menna be."
    He wipes away a tear and then runs back into the darkness.

Ooc - Poor Lalwende. Licked by an orc while crushed and maybe dying. Has Mourinho no mercy? Should she switch her allegiance to the great god Guardiola?

Echtrae spies the feet sticking out from beneath the rubble and sees them twitch, he inspects the rubnle to see if it is safe to move.

Ooc: If so he begins to remove it, if not he steals the shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

9lives asks "Eirenaios, whos that? Who else is in here with us?"

Guffy wrote: »
    Echtrae spies the feet sticking out from beneath the rubble and sees them twitch, he inspects the rubnle to see if it is safe to move.

Ooc: If so he begins to remove it, if not he steals the shoes.

OOC : The rubble appears stable enough that you could remove it if you want to start from the top. Or you could try to lift the stone around Lalwende to buy her enough room to escape. (That'll be a Strength roll if working alone)

Also, the shoes aren't in great condition and are too small for you. Damned elf-boots!

Webbby starts to carefully remove the rubble he is easily able to lift and which he judges to be non-threatening to remove from the pile.

Webby starts to sing as he starts removing rubble...

"We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in our mine the whole day through"

"To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig is what we like to do"

"It ain't no trick to get rich quick"

"If you dig dig dig with a shovel or a pick"

"Heigh-ho... Heigh-ho...!!!!"

conor222 wrote: »
    9lives asks "Eirenaios, whos that? Who else is in here with us?"

OOC : There has been no response from a number of players in the mask room for a long time, with 1 confirming absence, so if at any point you want to run after the other party, let me know.

A short fat man in leather armour comes around the corner, twirling a wooden stake in one hand, his other resting on a dagger that threatens to be enveloped by his paunch.

"...I think the last lot woke up misery-guts, we'll have to make sure he's tucked ba.... WHAT THE ****!"

He is surprised to see Eirenaios among prisoners. He looks from face to face.

"What... How... Why are you only here? You've been down here ages! We have to clean up for the next batch - You need to go. You go now!"

The hand resting idly on the dagger hilt suddenly grips it firmly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

9lives looks at the exit that the others went through, what did this man mean they woke up misery guts? What was ahead of him?
    "Well eirenaois, this has been very enlightening but I'd best catch up with the rest of my fellow prisoners! Best o luck with the rest of the traps!"

9 lives starts to back towards the exit that the others headed through earlier, his grip tight on his bow

Webbby starts to carefully remove the rubble he is easily able to lift and which he judges to be non-threatening to remove from the pile.

It's slow going but with Webby and Stu to lift, and Fector using his innate understanding of stone to identify load distribution patterns, they manage to dig Lalwende free. She clings to life tenaciously, like Sanchez doggedly chasing a ball even when there's a man open in the box and he should really pick him up. The point is she's not dead yet, praise be The Special One.

• Advertisement

conor222 wrote: »
    9lives looks at the exit that the others went through, what did this man mean they woke up misery guts? What was ahead of him?
    "Well eirenaois, this has been very enlightening but I'd best catch up with the rest of my fellow prisoners! Best o luck with the rest of the traps!"

9 lives starts to back towards the exit that the others headed through earlier, his grip tight on his bow

9 Lives, Aesc and Brutha run south, following the torches. A short dash later, the corridor turns west, running for at least 100 feet before the torches stop and it continues on in darkness. There's a turn north about 40 feet along this corridor.

Moving carefully while checking for traps, Aesc leads the group to the junction with the northern tunnel. There's a serpentine squiggle drawn on the floor. This branch is in almost complete darkness

"Stay here! Leave this to the professional." Aesc declares, creeping forward, disappearing into the black.

A few moments go by before he calls back.
    "All CleeeEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........"
    There's the sound of stone grinding on stone as a mechanism moves back into place, and then nothing.

OOC : Brutha on Autopilot until JasonB says otherwise

Advertisement