Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Beginner's Game: Act 1, Scene 3: The Hunted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Lalwende takes out her quill and sharpens it on the wall. Very cautiously and paying particular attention to the ceiling as much as possible, she edges forward along the corridor. To soothe her anxiety, she sings softly to herself. "They stab it with their steely quills, but they just can't kill the beast."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

Echtrae chases Webby like a lost puppy.

"Dang Webby, your in a mad rush. Where are you rushing to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Webby turns to Echtrae, huffing and puffing from the brisk walk down the corridor "I am not rushing towards something but rather away from something..".

He points forward "If we keep moving backwards, either time will run out for us or we will be stuck here forever".

Webby shrugs, holding his hands up in the air, and keeps moving forward and continues to explain "I've seen time stood still, people frozen in place, people sliced open... trust me... no good comes from standing still".

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

Webby ignores the forked passage up north and continues down the west corridor.

A short distance beyond the junction he reaches a corner, the corridor turning north. There's a torch on the wall here and another at the far end of this passage but a good 20 or 30 foot stretch of shadow in between which neither he nor Echtrae can see anything in.

Lalwende takes out her quill and sharpens it on the wall. Very cautiously and paying particular attention to the ceiling as much as possible, she edges forward along the corridor. To soothe her anxiety, she sings softly to herself. "They stab it with their steely quills, but they just can't kill the beast."

Her quill was already plenty sharp to begin with, that being how quills work and all, but now it's lethally keen. And no less brittle.

As she edges along she notices nothing unsual but in focussing her attention on the ceiling rather than, say, the floor.... she finds her eyes adjust to the gloom a little. She can make out some grafitti on the wall and a fitting where a torch has been removed.

• Advertisement

Guffy wrote: »
    Echtrae catches up with webby and stu,

Investigates the marking on the ground to see if he can decipher it.

With his superior intelligence, Echtrae recognises that this could be a crude representation of a compound bow. Or a snake. Or a nascent ox-bow lake forming. Could also be a carving of a capital B that is incomplete, perhaps... interrupted? Or an idle squiggle.

"Could there be a snake in there", he whispers to Weber.

Echtrae lifts the torch from the wall and holds it forward in a vain attempt to illumintate the passage.

"Get ready", he says to Weber as he tosses the torch about 8-10 feet to shed a bit of light on what lays ahead.

"Could there be a snake in there", he whispers to Weber.

Echtrae lifts the torch from the wall and holds it forward in a vain attempt to illumintate the passage.

"Get ready", he says to Weber as he tosses the torch about 8-10 feet to shed a bit of light on what lays ahead.

OOC : To be clear, while you were looking at the doodle, Webby kept moving to the end of the corridor. You could be facing north at the "doodle junction" or at the end of the corridor, depending on whether you're still facing him. Clarify, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fector decides To head South following Stu, Webby and Echtrae. As he catches up, he comes across Echtrae muttering about snakes and warning no one in particular to get ready. He glances at his short sword ready for action should he be required.

"Anything of note Ech? My vision is good but i can't see anything in front of you!"

A short distance beyond the junction he reaches a corner, the corridor turning north. There's a torch on the wall here and another at the far end of this passage but a good 20 or 30 foot stretch of shadow in between which neither he nor Echtrae can see anything in.

Ooc: i followed weber, thought this implied it i was beside him. If not i caught up with him.

• Advertisement

Ooc: i followed weber, thought this implied it i was beside him. If not i caught up with him.

Ooc : Just wanted to be sure I wasn't making assumptions. Roll d20-6 pls

duffman13 wrote: »
    Fector decides To head South following Stu, Webby and Echtrae. As he catches up, he comes across Echtrae muttering about snakes and warning no one in particular to get ready. He glances at his short sword ready for action should he be required.

"Anything of note Ech? My vision is good but i can't see anything in front of you!"

Ooc : dwarf eyes ,> magic user eyes.

Looking North beyond Webby and Echtrae, Fector can see the wall and floor ahead look a little bit lumpier than the other corridors they've seen thus far

Ooc : Just wanted to be sure I wasn't making assumptions. Roll d20-6 pls

Ooc: Whats the roll for?

Also can u link the die room please?

Ooc : at the risk of ruining my air of mystery...
    .. as he tosses the torch about 8-10 feet to shed a bit of light on what lays ahead.

Ooc : this. It's not naturally weghted for throwing, and Echtrae is not built for throwing. Let's see how successful he was

https://rolz.org/dr?room=The+Meatgrinder+Boards.ieD%26D

The torch slips from Echtrae's grasp as he throws it, singeing his fingers. It rolls along the floor a few feet. It doesn't make a significant difference to how far down the corridor they can see.

Ooc : no damage, but suck your fingers for 2 rounds.

"Well that bloody hurt" whimpers Ech as he blows on his fingers. He's really having no luck with torches today.

He turns to Fector, "you want to risk it?"

"Well that bloody hurt" whimpers Ech as he blows on his fingers. He's really having no luck with torches today.

He turns to Fector, "you want to risk it?"

Fector bellows a laugh looking Echtraes burnt fingers. "A clown that can't juggle, let's go my friend, pick up the torch so you don't fall over the lumpy path ahead"

Fector takes the lead, walking ahead with short sword in hand, followed by Ecthrae, he moves past Webby and proceeds forward.

A red faced and red fingered Echtrae picks up the torch and holds it out muttering to himself, as trots behind fector....

"Stupid.......... torch....... vampire..... flame...... octopus", Ohm knows what he's saying, but he does not look a happy camper.

Fector looks at Echtraes hands, "sure it is but a scratch, stop your whining man! Stop here for a moment while I look at these lumps on the ground"

Fector examines the strange lumps prodding it with the tip of his short sword

As Fector begins prodding the slime with the sword, he is alarmed to see the tip slowly corrode and dissolve, the slime swelling slightly as if feeding on it. He tries to step backwards, aghast, but his left foot stays put - the slime has already swarmed over it.

Ooc : sorry, due to my commitments to alcohol im leaving it there.

• Advertisement

Lalwende notices some graffiti on the wall. Intrigued, she tries to read it as she remains alert to any signs of danger.

Echtrae jumps back from Fector and the slime.

"What is that? Can you get out? Kick your shoe off"

Echtrae tries to make out what the slime is and also looks to see if he can make out how much of it is in the passage.

He moves the torch towards the slime on Fectors foot in order to get a better look, while still sucking his scalded fingers.

Ooc: is my spell still active or when does it need to be relearned?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Webby grabs a torch from the wall and runs over to fector, holding up the torch to inspect the slime more closely.

Echtrae jumps back from Fector and the slime.

"What is that? Can you get out? Kick your shoe off"

Echtrae tries to make out what the slime is and also looks to see if he can make out how much of it is in the passage.

He moves the torch towards the slime on Fectors foot in order to get a better look, while still sucking his scalded fingers.

Ooc: is my spell still active or when does it need to be relearned?

OOC : By my reckoning you haven't cast "Protection from Evil" since the arriving in the dungeon proper, which was a reset point for everyone. You still have that in the bag. Once cast, you can't relearn it till you have an 8 hour rest, then spend an hour fixing the complicated mathemagics in your head through study.

The slime covers about two thirds of the width of the hall, and about a foot of the left hand wall (facing north). Echtrae is confident he could edge around it if he wanted.

As the torch moves towards the slime on Fector's foot, the slime seems to dry out and retreat from the heat.

Fector feels a tingle on the sole of his foot - there's not much of his shoe left.

Lalwende notices some graffiti on the wall. Intrigued, she tries to read it as she remains alert to any signs of danger.

Rather ominously, it says "Webby wasn't here".

Wondering who Webby wasnt, Lalwende cautiously walks on.

"Hmm, the flame appears to kill it off. Look a clearway. Follow me"

Echtrae edges along the clearing, using the torch to push the slime back as he moves so that he doesn't have to touch the wall.

Wondering who Webby wasnt, Lalwende cautiously walks on.

Lalwende arrives at a t junction. Neither option is well lit, but north extends further than she can see in the gloom. The southerly branch turns East after about 40 feet

Lalwende decides to continue North while carefully scanning for Slurps using infravision. Before proceeding, she takes a sip of silver liquid and eats a small snack from her rations.

• Advertisement

Lalwende decides to continue North while carefully scanning for Slurps using infravision. Before proceeding, she takes a sip of silver liquid and eats a small snack from her rations.

Advertisement