Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Strange that Dublin Airport doesn't snow up as snow on the 2nd of June 1975, but snow does show up on the 19th! It must be referring to hail, though, as the minimum temperature that day was 14 °C.

https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/06-1975/ws-39690.html

If you look at June 1976's statistics on that site, you will know that their not accurate going by your knowledge of that month.

Plus here's the synoptic for 19 June 1975, definitely not snow that's for sure.

NOAA_1_1975061912_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If you look at June 1976's statistics on that site, you will know that their not accurate going by your knowledge of that month.

Plus here's the synoptic for 19 June 1975, definitely not snow that's for sure.

NOAA_1_1975061912_1.png

I was 3 months old at that time so I remember it very well!! :lol:

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

May not have in Ireland, with the exception of mountains obviously, but in the UK it definitely did in this unseasonable northerly air stream on 2 June 1975. That picture I posted was taken on this day in Buxton when the snow stopped the cricket match from taking place.

NOAA_1_1975060212_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

May not have in Ireland, with the exception of mountains obviously, but in the UK it definitely did in this unseasonable northerly air stream on 2 June 1975. That picture I posted was taken on this day in Buxton when the snow stopped the cricket match from taking place.

NOAA_1_1975060212_1.png

UK Met Office hand drawn chart for the evening of June 1 1975.

image.png

Certainly a marked cold front feature bearing down.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

image.png

It could easily have been that one
    (It may have been May,I’m thinking it was June,it was certainly in the 70’s but that chart sounds like it)
    I’d be surprised if there’s no record of it somewhere,though it was a 12 hr wonder ie happened in Dublin at 6 and gone in the morning

Some people’s brains are a bit old now to be pin pointing exact weeks or dates
    I do remember the summer of 75 being warm and sunny and obviously the drought of 76
    The most notable thing about that from a farming perspective was the drought and no grass
    We were feeding molasses on straw and muggins opened the molasses barrel without releasing the pressure first
    I was covered in it (it exploded out)
    Literally tarred and feathered
    I don’t remember the war :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

W25cWB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Thanks Mick I think We have our winner,I knew I wasn’t going mad :O

Too many doubters in the world :D

Weather observation charts for 0700, 1300 and 1900 on tJune 2nd, 1975. Click through hour by hour. Some snow and sleet do show up in the UK but none in Ireland. Maybe the dataset on this site is incomplete.

436377.png

image.png

Where were you just able to put your hand on that chart? Did you already have it or is there some source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Im pretty sure I remember a snow shower in Bray sometime in May 1987 or 1988

I remember getting a wet snow shower in north Co. Dublin (120 m amsl) in June back some time in the early '90s. I was working in large glasshouses at the time and I remember watching from inside as the snow briefly accumulated on the roof. Can't remember what year it was but I do remember it was June.

Edit: It may have been 1989.

The only times I know snow has been recorded in June in modern times are 1975 and 2009, so I don't know sorry Gaoth Laidir.

The only times I know snow has been recorded in June in modern times are 1975 and 2009, so I don't know sorry Gaoth Laidir.

Well it was a shower so it may not have affected the airport (16 km away).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember a brief 10 minute snow shower In June 1986, I remember it so well because I was in 6th class and it was around 9.45am, and the principal walked into the classroom and saw the snow falling and said 'is this meant to be summer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Oh dear,I haven't been looking at the charts in a few days,things must be bad,what with the talk of yester year.

Zonal Rageing westerlies with Mucky mildness id imagine so,before I look at the gfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice thick Atlantic fog here in West Clare this morning.

After this coming week's mild, it looks as though it won't be as mild as some of you thought for the rest of December, in fact around average to slightly below although frosts at times will make it much colder. Fog will also suppress temperatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice and mild today thankfully was able to walk outside without being soaked wet or being cut in two by a cold wind. Retailers and shoppers will be happy.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I remember a brief 10 minute snow shower In June 1986, I remember it so well because I was in 6th class and it was around 9.45am, and the principal walked into the classroom and saw the snow falling and said 'is this meant to be summer'.

Certainly no mention of snow anywhere to be found on the internet for June 1986 but looking at the synoptics, I do believe you - I remember us having this discussion before.

All the talk of June 1986 was thunderstorms. It was a fantastic month for thunderstorm enthusiasts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Certainly no mention of snow anywhere to be found on the internet for June 1986 but looking at the synoptics, I do believe you - I remember us having this discussion before.

All the talk of June 1986 was thunderstorms. It was a fantastic month for thunderstorm enthusiasts.

another thing I seem to remember from that day is that the snow shower did seem like a freak occurrence, there was no mention of snow or anything wintry in the forecast for that morning, however the morning was unusually cold! But it will always stick in my mind as a 10 minute bizarre situation!. I also remember the May snow showers mentioned a few posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Nice and mild today thankfully was able to walk outside without being soaked wet or being cut in two by a cold wind. Retailers and shoppers will be happy.

It's raining in Naas but its mild.

Retailers love this weather. Mild and wet bring out the shoppers. Cold tends to keep people in.

Mild and wet summers are good for my bottom line.

Gonzo wrote: »
    another thing I seem to remember from that day is that the snow shower did seem like a freak occurrence, there was no mention of snow or anything wintry in the forecast for that morning, however the morning was unusually cold! But it will always stick in my mind as a 10 minute bizarre situation!. I also remember the May snow showers mentioned a few posts back.

Would that night be the 10th into the 11th when Kilkenny got down to 1.0c? Though this synoptic does not show anything that cool mmmmm.

NOAA_1_1986061100_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Not in Dublin they won't, where it is mild but, of course, rainy and grey. Bring back the lovely sunny cold yesterday!

Would that night be the 10th into the 11th when Kilkenny got down to 1.0c? Though this synoptic does not show anything that cool mmmmm.

NOAA_1_1986061100_1.png

could have been that night, it was certainly early June before the summer holidays, I was only 12 years old so not entirely sure of the exact date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

More to Ireland than Dublin thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'd imagine a lot of Christmas shoppers would not agree with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Even as a Dub I totally agree with you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

[quote="pad199

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Twas drizzly and foggy until around 4pm here in West Clare, 10c all day until 4pm.

Dropped to 8c now, fog forming again.

Advertisement