Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

3pm His Res Vis
    Showing big showers down along the west coast
    WEB_sat_vis_irl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hope no one bothered betting on a white Christmas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yep, generally very mild between Sunday and Christmas Day and possibly beyond unless there are sudden changes. Many places could see up to 14C at times next week, however a very short lived cooler incursion can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Why would anyone bet on the Irish Weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I have no pictures but there was heavy snowfall in my homeplace this morning and my niece and nephew had their 4th consecutive day off school. Cars couldn't get to the road and a few people who did got stuck.

It has been an extraordinarily potent north westerly for us. My nephew and niece, 8 and 6, cried because they wanted to go to school!!! Cabin fever!

Put some pics on the 13/14th snow/ice thread now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep, generally very mild between Sunday and Christmas Day and possibly beyond unless there are sudden changes. Many places could see up to 14C at times next week, however a very short lived cooler incursion can happen.

Looks like a repeat of two years ago so. Unwanted high temperatures for Christmas Day making it very unseasonable. However, beyond that is anyone’s guess. Tentative signs of something more interesting around New Years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Earliest sunset is today at 4.19 so not long now till a stretch in the evenings :)

As a matter of fact, by Dec. 20th (next Wed) sunset for Limerick is 4.20pm so there'll be a tiny stretch in the evenings already!

http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/ireland/limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

esposito wrote: »
    Looks like a repeat of two years ago so. Unwanted high temperatures for Christmas Day making it very unseasonable. However, beyond that is anyone’s guess. Tentative signs of something more interesting around New Years?

I’m heading away for Xmas and I can assure you the warm temperatures for Xmas day will be more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not to mention the flooding rains of that Christmas, remember the Boxing Day Cumbrian deluge?

I’m heading away for Xmas and I can assure you the warm temperatures for Xmas day will be more than welcome.

Good for you. I like my Christmas to be crisp and cold and my summers warm and sunny thank you very much.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not to mention the flooding rains of that Christmas, remember the Boxing Day Cumbrian deluge?

Indeed. We were inundated with storms this time 2 years ago along with the very mild temperatures. Hopefully no stormy element this Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

So it looks like a third year in a row for a mild Christmas.

How can I enjoy my food coma in front of the fire if it's too warm outside. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Good for you. I like my Christmas to be crisp and cold and my summers warm and sunny thank you very much.

How does that generally work out for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Christmas day is 11 days away, nobody has a clue what it looks like.

If there’s going to be no snow or at least frost I’d have unseasonable high temperatures for Christmas Day instead.
    Something surreal about being outside on Christmas Day in short sleeves with a glass of wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Looks like a repeat of two years ago so. Unwanted high temperatures for Christmas Day making it very unseasonable. However, beyond that is anyone’s guess.

2015?

In Oranmore I had a max of 4.6°C and almost 18 mm of rain to boot. Not mild in my book.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Christmas Eve has some potentially cooler weather maybe even cold for the North. Maybe hailstones in Sligo Christmas Eve night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

2015?

In Oranmore I had a max of 4.6°C and almost 18 mm of rain to boot. Not mild in my book.

Everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you.

Everywhere you go, you always take the weather with you.

Yea and Four Seasons in One Day too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

And distant sun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

And the clouds they are crying on you
    And the birds are offering up their tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

"They look down
    at the ground,
    missing;
    never seeing the heavenly rain fall"

Always was, and always will be, the ultimate weather/sky watcher anthem for me:

New Moon

2015?

It was a mild Christmas for the majority of Ireland. Northern regions, though mostly Scotland than Ireland, started off quite cold with the leftovers of the relatively cool air from Christmas Eve. However, elsewhere it was mild and rain tried to push up from the south. The two air masses did not contrast with each other that well and the stark contrast created very heavy rain for some places which would only get worse into St. Stephen's Day. Some localised locations in the north, though again mostly Scotland, got away with a White Christmas in the relatively cooler air and the precipitation.

You, for example in Oranmore, as you say recorded a maximum of only 4.6c. However, me here in Dublin, recorded a maximum of 12.2c under 21.2mm of rainfall. I remember it very well, it was an awful Christmas and weather wise, was easily one of the poorest I've seen in my life so far.

Here's the synoptics for 12:00 on 25 December 2015:

CFSR_1_2015122512_1.png

CFSR_1_2015122512_2.png

CFSR_1_2015122512_4.png

It was a mild Christmas for the majority of Ireland. Northern regions, though mostly Scotland than Ireland, started off quite cold with the leftovers of the relatively cool air from Christmas Eve.

You, for example in Oranmore, as you say recorded a maximum of only 4.6c. However, me here in Dublin, recorded a maximum of 12.2c under 21.2mm of rainfall. I remember it very well, it was an awful Christmas and weather wise, was easily one of the poorest I've seen in my life so far.

Very interesting thank you, just checked for Roscrea too, it was 3 to 5C during daylight hours but started to rise at 5pm and ended up 10.9C at midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Some fairly vile 12z runs this afternoon, not many signs of cold that some posters have suggested this side of the new year. Something may be lurking beyond that, but it looks like a typical 2010s winter affair atm. :(

Some fairly vile 12z runs this afternoon, not many signs of cold that some posters have suggested this side of the new year. Something may be lurking beyond that, but it looks like a typical 2010s winter affair atm. :(

One (ridiculous, far out there) run will not disappoint me.

Remember people who intend to write off Winter 2017/18, we have until June to see if it has come to fruition lol.... just like in 1975 when Winter didn't arrive 'til June.

le8lzj1.jpg

An unusually white frost out there tonight. Only -1.7c.
    Cars and grass are totally white. Like snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Remember people who intend to write off Winter 2017/18, we have until June to see if it has come to fruition lol.... just like in 1975 when Winter didn't arrive 'til June.

le8lzj1.jpg
    I remember that :O

It was known as the 6 o clock shower in Dublin
    It arrived here in Arklow around 8 in daylight
    Quite a white out and settled untill next morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Strange that Dublin Airport doesn't snow up as snow on the 2nd of June 1975, but snow does show up on the 19th! It must be referring to hail, though, as the minimum temperature that day was 14 °C.

https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/06-1975/ws-39690.html

Advertisement