Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

For the east a more organised band of precipitation could fall as snow Wednesday evening.

One to watch and no on-shore spoiler wind to worry about this time;)

Maybe open a new thread for it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

We've a pond outside our work,it's the first time it has frozen over since dare i say it 2010;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

An occluding Lp originating from Greenland, filling as it reaches us ,making its way towards us Weds and Thurs ( after a front passes on Tues ), bringing a cool pool of air over the country and looking like giving a wintry mix. Quite windy with the windchill making it feel bitter again.

XQGlMkF.png?1

1UV8em0.png?1

tempresult_jhl1.gif

tempresult_xha1.gif

ECU0-72_gpk9.GIF

UJg52mL.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

arctictree wrote: »
    Maybe open a new thread for it?!

Not worthy of a thread in my opinion. Possible snow but only a couple of hours worth...

60-574UK.GIF?11-6

63-574UK.GIF?11-6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Not worthy of a thread in my opinion. Possible snow but only a couple of hours worth...

God last year it would of made 100 page thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

5 ft of snow is where it stops being romantic and becomes horrifying. And I like snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

It's great when you get snowfall between 1st December and around 10th February. The shorter days and longer nights lead to more nightime and less thawing. That's very evident today with any thaw starting at roughly 10am and stopping at 3.30pm ish mid country.

During the last week of February the thaw will be starting around 8am and finishing at 5 to 5.30pm in these synoptics, that's 3.5 to 4 hours melt time. Bar you get an exceptionally cold spell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nagdefy wrote: »
    It's great when you get snowfall between 1st December and around 10th February. The shorter days and longer nights lead to more nightime and less thawing. That's very evident today with any thaw starting at roughly 10am and stopping at 3.30pm ish mid country.

During the last week of February the thaw will be starting around 8am and finishing at 5 to 5.30pm in these synoptics, that's 3.5 to 4 hours melt time. Bar you get an exceptionally cold spell.

agree with that, My favourite time of year for snow is between now and the 2nd week of February at the very latest. Once the 3rd week of February hits, thawing becomes very rapid unless there is exceptional cold around, I completely lose interest by March to start focusing on the summer warmth. Still snow is so rare here you just have to be thankful for anything you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No sticking snow, and no morning frosts, all of this available here in West Clare this winter! :)

Any chance, any chance whatsoever, of a nice north easterly or easterly flow? This little peninsula doesn't like the Northwesterlies this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Easterlies would surely be dry there as well? I reckon a good strong northerly would be your best hope, how did you fare in 2010 or 2000?

Nothing like that on the models at the moment anyway, looks like the Atlantic is going to fire up again next week with potential for storms. I'll be back in Donegal over Christmas so I'd gladly take a good storm or two

They'd be dry, but frosty. Northerlies are often quite dry here too as Galway/Mayo take all the precipitation and it often just hits here as a light shower to nothing at all.

2010 had a little snow alright, which stook around for days on end and was quite pretty, I'd have been too young in 2000 to take much notice of the weather then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

While this is only a piece of the puzzle that I'm still learning about, its encouraging to see the strat warming at least at some level so far. I suspect any Atlantic onslaught will be relatively short lived based on current evidence.

pole30_nh.gif

HIRLAM Weds evening for some more organised showers crossing the country, turning to snow.

hirlamuk-1-48-0.png?11-23

Something to keep an eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

HIRLAM Weds evening for some more organised showers crossing the country, turning to snow.

Looks promising for some of the recently snow starved locations... hmmm

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Looks promising for some of the recently snow starved locations... hmmm

I'd emphasize some ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A lot more frost out there tonight in Dublin 7 than last night, I wonder if it's just there's more ground moisture tonight to frost over?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sweet spot rite over the pistolpete home , could it be :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MJohnston wrote: »
    A lot more frost out there tonight in Dublin 7 than last night, I wonder if it's just there's more ground moisture tonight to frost over?

Same here in Dublin 16. When I looked out I thought it had snowed! Just a thick frost on the (concrete) road outside my house.

Eoro4, GFS going for snow showers tomorrow evening and night inland away from West coasts. Persistant in midlands and east at first - scattered showers thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

A bit of a hoar frost around kinsealy this morning little bit of brown trousers driving on the back roads.

5c and raining in West Clare, exceptionally dark this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Freezing rain showing up on the net weather radar as the weather front moves in from the west.
    Not nice for driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Sill zero Celsius in Arklow dp -1c
    Cloudy
    Light west breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

How about this for tomorrow evening:

GFSOPUK06_36_53.png

I'm surprised there is not more discussion about it. Widespread snow in south leinster according to that.

GFSOPUK06_36_53.png

I'm surprised there is not more discussion about it. Widespread snow in south leinster according to that.

Keeping an eye, small occlusion crossing the country but still differences in areas that may be effected across the models. Some have the bulk of activity further north.

Even so it's 2 - 3 hour max right now. Scattered snow showers follow on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

6z run will bring this potential slow into the 36 hour range, so there should be a few more models to compare. Right now only GFS and HIRLAM are showing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I'm guessing the orange hatching means sleet here

aromehd-1-41-0_mzv6.png

Barely a dusting on the hills never mind lower ground

aromehd-45-42-0_uqb7.png

Met Eireann has quite a wide variety on offer for Dublin/Leinster tomorrow (sure, cover all bases)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Dublin

Tomorrow, will be a cold, blustery, showery day, with occasional bright spells. Showers will be fairly widespread, some possibly heavy and prolonged, with hail or sleet...

:(

...or possibly snow and thunderstorms

y6jyQ_s-200x150.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

One word for it today rotten. How some people think this is better than benign dry weather I’ll never know. It’s cold dark wet and miserable.

Advertisement