Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Clicker that took some serious guts to do what you did yesterday......hopefully you are feeling better today.

Deise as well that's a great time the marathon is a real beast and it is hard to comprehend until you have been there and put yourself through it.

How is everyone else today?? Getting up and down the stairs much fun?

C

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

My wife and kids keep laughing every time I get up or down off the chair or when I go near the stairs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

How is everyone else today?? Getting up and down the stairs much fun?

C

Absolutely flying, compared with yesterday evening!

Still in agony, when compared to every other evening of my life though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Oh the pain... Everything hurts. I can manage the stairs, just about, sideways.... please tell me tomorrow will be better??

So now dressed up as a cat (the most arthritic cat ever) I'm off to a kids Halloween Disco where I'm on duty for the afternoon... God help me :eek:

Busting some moves on the dance floor might do the world of good!!

The aches and pains will fade whereas the memories form yesterday won't.

ariana` wrote: »
    Oh the pain... Everything hurts. I can manage the stairs, just about, sideways.... please tell me tomorrow will be better??

So now dressed up as a cat (the most arthritic cat ever) I'm off to a kids Halloween Disco where I'm on duty for the afternoon... God help me :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Congrats one and all! If anyone else is spending today mostly with their feet up, may I suggest this for some viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwpGPV1xC_U&app=desktop.

Hey Damo, scroll to bang on 5 hours into that vid. You, me and funny enough, Dave Brady the chap running his 700th that I met on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

I was stiff and sore this morning but had to go into town to collect my bike. It may not work for everyone but I found an easy cycle did wonders for my legs, both during and after. Now I have the leg elevated in compression socks, I'll post a race report hopefully today at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Lazare wrote: »
    Hey Damo, scroll to bang on 5 hours into that vid. You, me and funny enough, Dave Brady the chap running his 700th that I met on Saturday.

That's quality, my family couldn't get to the side of the road at the finish but they were watching the livestream and when they seen someone waving they're arms they were saying "I bet ya it's that eejit" to one another :D

I'll never forget that, what a feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Where to start. Goal was 04:29:59. Finished in 04:48:41. Disappointed with the time, delighted to have finished.

Training had gone well and lined up with no niggles.

Miles 1 - 3 (09:43, 10:04, 10:15)

Lined up a bit back from the 4:30 pacers. Plan was to reel them in slowly and stay there til the end.

The watch recorded a short first mile so was about 10:17 at the mile marker. Felt good for these 3 miles. Caught the pacers about 1.5 miles in. Water station 1 was pure carnage so skipped it.

Miles 4 - 6 (10:06, 10:09, 10:14)

Really enjoyed this stretch. Was within touching distance of one of the pacers. I kept getting hit on the head by his balloon. The pace was feeling slow but I kept my discipline and stayed with them.

Miles 7 -9 (10:16, 09:43, 10:14)

The first sign of a problem started in here. My left glute and hip started to get tight and feel sore. Every time I landed on my left foot I got a dull pain. It wasn't effecting my pace and was comfortably with the pacers. I tried to massage it out as I ran. The hills weren't an issue and the crowds in this part were amazing.

Miles 10 -12 (10:03, 10:08, 10:18)

The pain wasn't going away and worryingly it started to pull on my knee. It was very frustrating. Everything else was fine. I was comfortable. I felt I could deal with the hip but the knee had me worried. I passed my wife and sister at Dolphins barn.

Miles 13 - 15 (10:39, 10:56, 11:36)

The pacers started to pull away just before half way. I was bang on target at the half way mark but I knew Id have to stop soon. My knee had me worried.

At 14.5 miles I stopped to walk and stretch for maybe about 30 secs. When I started to run again the pain at gone but I was wrecked. Chest and stomach was sore, no energy in the legs. I could see the pacers in the distance but couldn't react. Kept in my head to keep moving forward, it might come good.

One of the pacers came flying out of someones garden here. Must have had a pit stop. That gave me a laugh.

Miles 16 - 18 (11:03, 12:01, 12:06)

More of the same here. Legs were dead, feet were sore. Stopped at mile 16 to walk. Plan was to walk a bit and try to run at least a mile and so on. I was doing mental calculations to see what I needed to do to get in before 4:40, then 4:45, then 5... DNF thoughts were really creeping in.

4:40 pacers caught me here. They were dropping me fast. I approached one and asked if she was from Boards, told her I was from the novice thread and I was struggling. I got some great words of advice. It was even a relief just to tell someone I was hurting. Thanks Anne.

Miles 19 - 21 (10:52, 10:43, 13:04)

It worked, I was moving again. I was sore, very sore but I was moving. Someone from the crowd handed me a bottle of flat coke at one of the water stations. It was delicious. I got 2 miles out of it but the pain stopped me again. The pacers went off into the distance. However I was confident now that I would finish.

Miles 22 - 24 (12:13, 12:14, 12:13)

I was walking every incline and running every flat or decline. Seemed like a good idea. My feet were killing me. The hip and knee pain had come back some miles ago. Whenever I started walking it felt like Id never get running again but I always managed it. As crazy as it sounds the miles felt like they were ticking off fast but the clock was going faster.

4:50 pacers caught me here. I stuck in behind them.

Miles 25 - 26.2 (11:39, 11:51, 8:28)

I stayed with the pacers and about 3/4 of a mile to go tried to push forwards. I realized I was in with a shot of breaking 4:50. It was just head down and dig in. Passing the 400 meter mark my calves started to cramp. Hopped and slowed for a second and it eased off. Went again. I saw my wife and sister. They took a photo and I have to say I look great. No sign of the pain I was in!!
    Initial reaction was relief, followed by disappointment. I snapped out of it on the approach to the medals. It hit me that I just completed a marathon.

I cant thank Wubble Wubble, AMK, Scotindublin and rest of the contributors and novices enough. Edit, Former Novices!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Just wanted to check I here again with a quick post. What a day-we'll done to everyone on here and thanks to the experienced folk for their sage advice. Went really well for me, finished in 4:31.28 and met my goal for running the whole thing (apart from 2 pit stops!). Just checked my mile times and they were consistently around the 10.15 mark and ironically the fastest mile was the 26th. Although nearly got tripped up on mount street by some idiot with a big back pack running out to hug someone. You may rest assured he got an earful from me. I might have to secretly thank him however because the little flash of anger made me forget about the sore legs and push on.

Amazing experience and superbly organised. The only negative is that if I do it again next year I won't be a novice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Race report (can’t believe this day has come)
    Hoping to finish in 4.20, but was realistically thinking I’d be happy with anything under 4.30! Finished in 4.25.40

Mile 1-10
    Started with the 4.20 pacers. I got chatting to a girl at the start and we ended up running together. The first 3 miles flew by and we kept the pacers in sight. Went through the 10k mark at 01:01:36. The support in Castleknock was amazing, I got goosebumps running through. I started with my bottle of Tailwind and had my OH waiting for me at Knockmaroon Hill with my second bottle. Felt good running back into the park and out into Chapelizod. I had a look for ScotsinDublin but couldn’t spot him.

Mile 10-15
    On up the hills to Dolphins Barn, still was feeling ok but could feel my knee and ITB starting to niggle, I tried to put it out of my mind going up the Crumlin Road and pushed on. I missed the water stop at 13miles but knew my parents were at the Walkinstown roundabout with my next bottle of Tailwind. At mile 14 I was thinking my knee was going to go and I’d have to stop but I didn’t want to lose the pacers. Seeing my Mam & Dad gave me a huge boast, I grabbed my drink, a banana and a bar off them and told they I had to keep going.

Mile 15-20
    It probably took me a mile to eat my banana! Coming down Templeogue road and I could feel I was starting to fade. Going into Terenure the pacer started a sing song! One woman sang nearly the whole song of Take Me Home, Country Roads. It was great. Saw my friend and cousin in Terenure. I lost the girl I was running with at mile 19 she went ahead of the pacers and by mile 20 the pacers were getting away from me too. My knee was still sore and now my hips and low back were starting to hurt.

Mile 21- 26.2
    By the time we turned on to Clonskeagh Road the pacers were gone, there was no way I could catch them. After running with a group for so long the road suddenly felt empty. I was so tempted to stop and walk but I knew if I did it would be so hard to start running again and that it wouldn’t be long before the 4.30s were behind me. I had to keep reminding myself of all the training and not let the negative thoughts in. I knew my 3 girls were waiting for me at the top of heartbreak hill and I didn’t want them to see on the tracker that I’d stopped. It was great seeing them and they ran halfway down fosters avenue with me shouting how proud they were, it was so cute. When I turned onto the Stillorgan Road I knew I only had 2 laps of my park to run which was nothing!! My hips and knees were getting worse, I could feel every bone rubbing. I just couldn’t wait to get to the finish. On Merrion Road I met a girl and we discussed how crazy running a marathon was and how we would never ever be doing one again!! The last mile was just amazing, I couldn’t believe the amount of people out cheering us on and it was non stop all the way. I crossed the finish line with tears in my eyes, I couldn’t believe I’d ran the whole thing without stopping I couldn’t wait to see a face I knew and then I saw my bestie and we both hugged and cried, I didn’t think I’d be so emotional at the end! I managed to catch up with the 4.20 pacers and thanked them for all their help.

I am in absolute bits today, I can’t walk, both knees are not right and my left IT band is so sore. I’ve too blisters on my little toes and a big graze on my thigh from my shorts rubbing but even with all that yesterday was the best day ever and I am so proud of myself for running the whole thing (and I might possibly maybe do it again)

Huge thanks to Wubble Wubble you’ve been a great mentor and I was sorry to hear your day didn’t go as planned. Also thanks to AMK for warning me about the demons in your head! and to everyone else who helped out, your advice and support was invaluable.
    It was a pleasure to be part of this group, I really hope we get to stay in touch, you all killed it yesterday and I hope you’re all super proud of yourselves. WE DID IT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I'm loving all these reports, keep them coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

chickey2 wrote: »
    I'm loving all these reports, keep them coming!

+1.Come on lads,get posting them race reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

Great event. Amazing crowd.

I was totally on pace up until mile 20 and one of my knees had enough of it and the rest of the race became a series of walking and light jogging.

First marathon so I see it as a learning experience. Defo need more experience at over 30km

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

0-5k (24:55; 4:59 min/km)
    I started just a touch behind the 3:20 pacers. I didn’t plan to follow them around at all, the plan was to let them go ahead and for me to take it easy for the first while, and then drag them in if possible over the last 10/15k. They were just going to be a real-time marker of where 3:20 would be on the course, and if I was to do 3:20 then I knew I’d have to catch up to, and pass, them. The plan was to do the each 5k a about 30s faster than the previous over the first half, and then just play the second half by ear I guess.

Anyway, the first 5k were a bit slower than a perfectly executed plan would be, but I knew that was grand. I was only about 30secs off pace, so I knew that’d be well recoverable over the remaining 35k+ (if I was to have 3:20 in me). And I reckoned that I’d be better off being 30secs too slow to 5k than 30s too fast.

Was feeling grand at this stage, the pace felt easy and I was enjoying it.

5-10k (23:56; 4:47min/km)
    I started to get a bit more on pace here, and 5 very similarly timed kilometres went by through the park and into Castleknock. Was feeling a bit peckish at the 10k marker, so I got some water and took a gel, which helped with the hunger. The support around Castleknock was about as great as everyone said it would be. I was really hit with a feeling of how mad (and cool) it was that all these people were out cheering us on, the majority of who probably knew at most 3 people doing the actual thing, if they knew anyone at all!
    Still felt good going through here, no problems…yet.

10-15k (23:20; 04:40 min/km)
    I was still feeling great when we went back into the park and down the hills. There was a particular guy here who sounded like he needed a good cough to clear his throat as he kept half-coughing and spitting up some phlegm. I can imagine some were getting annoyed at him, as some offered him water, but I made a bit of a game out of it by counting the time between each coughing ‘fit’ and then trying to predict when the next would happen. He was very predictable in fairness to him!
    Got through these even more on time and still felt good, and managed to cover myself in Lucozade while trying to mix it with the water in my bottle. I’d say I got about 10 drops in, but no harm, better than nothing.

15-20k (23:15; 04:39 min/km)
    I knew I had people waiting around 23k, so I spent most of this time just thinking about how much I was enjoying this marathon lark, and looking forward to seeing those at kilometer 23. I was even making back some of the seconds I had lost in the first 10k, but still felt good. All was good in the world.

20-25k (23:33; 4:42 min/km)
    I met the friends and family at 23k as planned, and got a drink off them. I got a wee boost of that, but then some drags came along that I wasn’t really expecting. No harm though, I just slowed down a touch and got on with it, still feeling good. My quads were starting to feel a touch achy, and I felt that in 10k they’d be in a bad way, but I tried not to think that far ahead and just get on with it. I had already accepted before I started that my quads or knee would be sore by the end, so this was just as predicted. Not to worry.

25-30k (23:17; 4:39 min/km)
    Things started to get a bit tougher here, but I was still OK with the pace. Got some surprise cheers from people out spectating who I didn’t know would be around, so that was nice. Quads were getting gradually worse, but energy levels and all were good.

30-35k (24:26; 4:53 min/km)
    Ok, things started to get a good bit worse along here. Quads were in full on burning mode, and 32, 33 and 34 ks were all just above 5mins. I was still thinking of 3:20, but realistically it wasn’t really gonna happen. I don’t remember much from this and the previous 5k split, so that’s why the paragraphs are getting shorter. I just know it was tough from about 30k on, so these 5k were definitely hard.

35-40k (25:59; 5:12min/km)
    Here’s where I spent 25:59 minutes of my life wondering what I was doing and why I was doing it. Why did I bother to pay money to run an arbitrary, albeit very long, distance? This was no fun at all, and the first half seemed like an age ago. All the Lucozade sponsored ‘what wall?’ signs and ‘Welcome to Heartbreak Hill’ didn’t help me, they just made me wonder what eejit thought they’d be a good idea. The quads were as sore as I thought any muscle could get, and the downhills were a killer – much more so than the uphills. With each kilometer that ticked by, I calculated what sort of pace I’d need to do to get to 3:20, and with each kilometre that pace became more and more unrealistic. I couldn’t even keep it below 5min/km, so there was no chance of me getting that down to 4:40. Ah well, I accepted around here (and before the race tbh), that sub 3:20 wouldn’t happen unless something mad happened, but I didn’t really mind. It was my first, and all I had wanted was to enjoy the race and, most importantly, enjoy the last 10k or so.
    Safe to say, that second part of my goal was not happening here. I was not enjoying this. No one would enjoy this. I passed a lot of people who were walking and kept thinking that they had the right idea, and why didn’t I just do that? I decided to squirt some water on my quads to see if that helped at all and…well, it did the opposite. My right hamstring completely seized up, so I limped for a bit, and then my left one went. So, I ended up skipping for a couple of hundred meters and getting back into a run. I knew if I stopped to walk that they’d go completely and I’d probably end up lying on the side of road 5k from the end, so I had to keep running.
    I guess the positive here was that the new pain in my hamstrings meant that my quad pain was relegated to ‘just a little itch’. Onto Merrion road and I was just happy to be on the final road.

40k to end (11:09; 4:48 min/km)
    I had kinda ran off the hamstring pain by now, so my quad pain came back…yay…?
    Anyway, the crowd was building and I was getting closer, and I found a burst of energy. I managed to contain this burst until the 800m to go sign where I took off and went for it, passing a good few on here. I don’t really know why I did this as it was only going to save about 15s, and sure as Morrisey said, ‘What difference does it make?’. I did it anyway cause it felt good (relatively) I suppose, and that was that. Crossed the line with a bit of a sprint finish (last 500meters at 3:50 min/km).

3:23:49

So there it is. I’m delighted with the time and just want to say thanks again to Wubble and the rest of those who posted in this thread along the way, it was great.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the reports now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Marathon done and it feels great. Was quite emotional afterwards yesterday, more than I expected to be. Definitely the toughest thing I've ever done, those last 3 miles in particular were incredibly testing, unlike anything I've done before.

Not as awesome as some stories that people have shared; but coming from an obese BMI weighing 16 stone about 2 years ago, to completing a 3:52 Dublin Marathon yesterday at 11 stone is not something I could have imagined. Feel pretty good about myself.

Every one of you who took part yesterday, regardless of time of whether you finished, you should be proud of yourself. It's a great achievement that only a small portion of the population ever motivate themselves to do, so congrats!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I see on Facebook, registration for next year's opens on Wednesday at 9am :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Ok so here goes DCM Race report, I hope I manage to remember it all!!!

But wow what a day :) Chip time 5 hours 8 minutes ( watch time 4 hours 57 minutes )

I woke up nice and early got the bus up to Dublin and then tried to connect with some of the other novices but missed them:(, I was then trying to find my way to the start to meet my hubby who had cycled up with our local club from Carlow for charity. I was panicking a little as my battery on my phone was on 22% I was sure it was going to die on me any second. found my way to the bag drop off and then met a lovely woman who stayed with me till we made the start of the wave, I found the hubby here and he had my backpack, I decided last minute to not bring my running belt the water bottles were leaking and I couldn't risk it, I had my tailwind in it. It was here I met up with youngAnn and had a brief chat. lovely to see you, Anne, I was sure we catch up with you again LOL

First, 10KM flew by after reading Wubble Wubble course breakdown and AMK words of advice on the first 7 miles, I ran it slower than probably my LSR time I think it came in at 1hr 9 minutes we had lost the 4 .40 pacers near the start with so much congestion and trying to run smart and not weave in and out to pass people we just stayed as we were and waited. so the pacers did disappear from view. I knew some of the other novices would possibly be in that group and I thought we would catch them further on. at some stage, I think around the 10mile mark a runner dropped a bottle on the road and I stepped on it all I can say is ouch, it really hurt my foot, but it was my right foot that was sore after the 3/4 I was a little bit afraid it would make me stop, but the pain eased and foot felt fine again. We caught up with the 4hr 40 pacers well they were within reach but I knew we would catch them I was hoping we could hold our pace and catch them and all going well pass them before the finish.
    But that did not happen in fact all the pacers passed us I did not mind my A goal had changed and all I wanted to do was run and finish the marathon and enjoy it.

My hubby is normally my rock and helps me through whenever I am struggling but he struggled the heat really got to him and I would say the legs were tired after the cycle up, So we swapped roles and I helped him keep going, we walked when he needed to walk and ran the rest. He was still in good spirits and we enjoyed the jokes with other runners and the support from the crowds and friends and family. He needed to stop a few times and really really feeling the heat. I was worried he would overheat and need help so was happy to follow his pace and get him water and we even stopped at a shop as he needed a can of coke:D

We kept up a good pace when we walked passing some runners and loads of walkers I was over the moon to reach the 20mile marker only 6 to go yay we mostly ran the last 6 miles hubby did not need to stop as much. But it was scary seeing a few runners in real trouble in the last 3 miles. It was such a fantastic feeling knowing we were going to finish I was roaring like a mad loon running across the finish line whoo hoo LOL hands up in the air delighted with myself fantastic day in every way.

My goal was to run a slow pace for the first 7 miles and not worry if the Pacers pulled away, then I wanted to knock a minute or 2 off the next 10 km time by taking any inclines handy and using the decline for a little faster pace, saving my self for the last 6 miles and catching the Pacers holding steady with them and hopefully push on past them and race the last 2km home. although I had to change that plan I did not mind at all, it was good knowing that I could have achieved my goal if I ran all or nearly all of it. I did not feel I needed to stop and walk myself and I kept thinking it is a 20 mile warm up for a 10KM race and I felt strong enough that I could have pushed my self over the last few miles. even though goals changed I was just happy to be out running it was just amazing the support everything I loved every minute of it, I think I was probably one of those people with a huge big grin on my face from start to finish :D all the pictures say the same a big happy head on me and yes I am still smiling.

All I can say is thank you all so much for everything I would not have done it without you all :)

Well done to you all your all amazing all of you even if the day did not go as you had planned even if you did not finish your still a legend

I look forward to following next years novices and helping pay it forward if I can and I will do it again and maybe chip a good chunk of time off, hopefully, I will be stronger and with another year running on my legs that will help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

So here we are...Race Report time. How in the name of God did I get here? How does a man who never ran a step in his life until a Couch to 5k in October 2014 get here? The same man who ran 300 miles in 2015 and 120 miles in 2016? Was it a reaction to a TIA last year and the unexpected passing of my mother a couple of months later? Was it the fact that my SO was already signed up for DCM '17? Who knows, but in March I decided I'd try to get running again. Wish I had done it in my 20's, 30's or 40's but such are the twists and turns of life. On a weekend away in April I decided, to myself, that DCM was a goal for me. I just got out for a few runs a week following a HH plan for 5 miles with the intention of running the Irish Runner 5 Mile. After that I Googled marathon training plans. Not sure how but I ended up on boards and so began an 18 week journey with a special group of novices. This is probably going to go on forever so I'll skip forward in time.....

The Day Before
    Well this was tough. As is my way I was overly thorough in my preparation and the central part of prep for the few days beforehand was carbo loading. By God did I load...650g of carbs a day. Bagels, rice, sweet potatoes, fruit, veg, quinoa...the list went on, my stomach bloated and....well there is no delicate way to put this.....flatulence became an issue. I feared for both myself and those around me! :pac: Apart from that all gear was set aside, watch cleared down and charged, pace bands done and throwaway clothes on standby for any type of weather. Got a decent nights sleep until my phone beeped at 5am with Lazare's wake up message to the whatsapp group ;)

Pre Race
    Met some other novices for a quick photo. Have to say all were very relaxed. Yes there was a sense of anticipation, a sense of excitement, maybe a hint of apprehension but little or no fear. This group, myself included, was raring to go. Went down to the back of wave 2, had a last little study of my 'secret' 3:52 pace band. It was one of the ones specifically for Dublin with gradient built into the mile splits. Plan was for a slightly negative split, 1:57:10 and 1:54:50. The atmosphere around the start area was more muted than I expected with very few spectators. The wave started to shuffle forward and next thing a slow walk became a slow jog and I passed under the START banner.

Mile 1
    Planned split 9.03 Actual 9.25
    Yes I was clock watching already. It's what I do. Every training run I'd be looking at the watch every 250 metres or so and working out pace. I'll seek treatment for this!!! The warning about congested start didn't prepare me for how congested it was. The first special moment was when Leeson St meets the Green. This was where it hit me...I'm running a fooking marathon!! I got a bit weird inside, almost as if I had emotions :pac: End of mile 1 and I'm 22 seconds down on target pace. Not to worry, it's to be expected the lads said, plenty of miles to get it back.

Mile 2
    Planned 8.59 Actual 9.06
    Not much to report here. Gently shuffling along, great buzz and lots of heels being stood on! Lost another few seconds to the plan but whats half a minute between friends?

Mile 3
    Planned 9.21 Actual 9.20
    First water station was chaotic. It was as if people had never seen water before! I had spent days hydrating, had water before the start so gave this one a miss. Turned left into Aughrim Street and what a bottleneck. Watch showed pace at 11mins per mile...a wall of people in front of me...losing time...nowhere to go...Calm down you dope, not even 10% of the way yet. Turned on to the NCR, it widened, I sped up, mile target hit!

Miles 4,5 and 6
    All through the park. Roads I know well and did most of my training on. Settled into a nice rhythm, felt ridiculously relaxed but stuck to the plan. Started to regret putting my name on my number. Couldn't resist turning my head and looking whenever I heard my name called. Pulled back a few seconds on my target and was about 20 seconds behind at the 6 mile marker.

Mile 7
    Planned 9.11 Actual 9.05
    This was truly awesome! The crowds and atmosphere in Castleknock was a credit to the locals. The music, the noise, the cheering, the blue plastic hand clappers...it was unreal. Some other places came close but this one wins my award for best support. Lots of runners stopping to meet and hug friends and wellwishers. The water station here was the first to show signs of what was to increasing become a problem during the day, namely discarded water bottles. You had to tread carefully to avoid standing on one. Another few seconds pulled back on my target time, loving the support and loving the sunshine. All was well in the world!

Mile 8
    Planned 8.37 Actual 8.38
    This was a special mile for me. I knew from Strava that this would be where I would pass 1,000 running miles for the year....little old me 1,000 miles....who woulda believed it? It got me a bit emotional to be honest. Still a tiny bit behind plan but nothing to worry about yet.

Miles 9 & 10
    Lovely downhill miles, freewheeling along. This marathon lark is easy isn't it? Not a bead of sweat or a deep breath yet. Sub 4..I think I'll contact Nike about Sub 2 :) Now where did that Craig lad say he'd be? Just after the 10 mile marker was it? I'll keep my eyes open for this flame haired Scotsman. Turn left in Chapelizod, sun straight in the eyes, everyone is just a silhouette. Soon after I pass a guy on the side of the road wearing a black? shell jacket. I think there's a hint of red in the hair but I'm past him before I'm sure. If it was you Craig I'm sorry for not giving you a shout. Too relaxed through this section and lost another 20 seconds to my target so nearly a minute down.

Miles 11, 12, 13 to half way
    These are not roads I am familiar with at all. The crowds in Dolphins Barn and Rialto were great. The long drag up the Crumlin Road wasn't a problem at all after all I had heard beforehand. Got chatting to a lovely man from Monaghan which helped pass a couple of miles. Was picking up the pace to regain lost time and doing it comfortably. Passed under the halfway banner, glanced at the watch 1:57:10...bang on target! What sort of a feckin genius am I?

Miles 14 & 15
    So it's decision time. What to do? I feel good and want to pick it up a bit. I remember all the advice from those who know better. Some said pick it up at 15 miles, some at 20 and others at 22. I decide to just let the legs guide me and do their own thing. Starting to come upon more and more walkers and crampers. gave my bottle of water to a guy I overheard ask someone where the next water station was. He was grateful beyond words...it's the little things isn't it. heard my name being called out by the DJ at Walkinstown roundabout and got a buzz out of that to be truthful. Miles of 8.55 and 8.43 had me a few seconds ahead of schedule.

Mile 16
    Planned 8:43 Actual 8.30
    A slightly downhill mile and for the first time I was feeling grateful for it. The first sensations of all not being swimmingly perfect in my legs were starting. My right quad was trying to tell me something but what was it. Was it warning me of impending cramp? Was it threatening me with a pull or a tear? Oh God why do I run with such a dominant right leg. I leave it to do all the work on every run I take and use the left leg only for balance! It's payback time! Luckily I hear a shout from the side of the road just before the KCR. It's my Da!! Holy bejaysus. My Da who is religiously out hillwalking every Sunday. He cycled over from the Northside to see me! Fook me, that is uplifting! A few more seconds gained on target time.

Mile 17 & 18
    Planned 8:50/ 8.37 Actual 8:30/8.21
    Great support where you turn left at Fortfield Road and then that downhill...oh how I love downhill. Is it all downhill from now except that bugger Heartbreak Hill? I like this. Quad is getting tighter, feel great otherwise but afraid to push it too much.

Miles 19 & 20
    Planned 8:40/ 8.41 Actual 8.25/ 8.39
    So it has happened. They say a marathon only starts at mile 20, well mine started a mile earlier! Did someone flick a switch? Have I short circuited? I'm keeping the pace ok but suddenly it's an effort. What's going on? Is it the wall? Oh no, I'm doomed. Calm down, it's not the wall, it's what happens after nearly 3 hours of running. Keep the pace steady. Yes my son you're going to have to work for this! Then I hear my name being called again. I'm getting a bit fed up with strangers calling my name but at the last second I turn. It's Leesider, one of the novices, the one who couldn't start because of injury, the one who continued to support us all, the legend who will have her first marathon some day soon. It as a great pick me up when I needed it. Getting a half zero tablet from the tin foil I wrapped it in becomes a whole new challenge to that presented earlier in the day!

Mile 21
    Planned 8.51 Actual 8.18
    OK this is getting serious. What the hell is happening to me? My left knee starts paining me something rotten. A few hundred metres later it buckles under me. I take a couple of steps trying to get my balance, a bit like bambi on ice, and recover my stride. I can feel a weakness in it. It just doesn't feel secure under me. I'm running faster but I think it's panic about finishing or is it that I find a stride pace and pattern that my knee likes? I'm having a full blown conversation in my head. If it's so bad why doesn't it buckle completely? Shag it, I'm not stopping! Time checks have ceased to exist, it's survival mode. Beeps from the watch are ignored. All times from here are courtesy of Strava cos I was too out of it to pay a blind bit of attention!!

Miles 22 & 23
    Planned 8.57/ 8.35 Actual 8.04/ 8.13
    So war is declared! It's me against my knee and DCM! Twice or three times a mile the knee half buckles but I'm expecting it now and it doesn't throw me too much. I'm running hard, I know it and I feel it but slowing down doesn't feel like an option. I'm hyper sensitive and getting crankier by the minute. Why don't walkers walk on the left? Is every walker intentionally positioning themselves to be an obstacle to me. Get out of my way, if I stop I won't get going again!! I think I'm losing it :pac: Those bottles on the ground aaaarrrggghhh! My runners feel like they are sticking to the ground on the road beside the last gel and lucozade station. I'm so aware of the noise as they pull off the ground but at this stage oblivious to spectators. Honestly I don't know how but I powered up Heartbreak Hill.

Miles 24/ 25
    The downhill stretches here bring some relief to the legs if not the fear of the knee giving way. I'm now in a world of my own. I don't feel like I'm running well but I'm passing loads of people, almost barging through them. If you were one of those please accept my humble apologies, I think I was demented. On Nutley Lane I take my first goodie from a spectator of the day, 2 quarters of fresh orange. It was perfect, I sucked it dry in a millisecond. I don't know why as I had plenty of water, knew it was too late to be an energy benefit but it was just the right thing at the right time. To you my friend I will be eternally grateful!

Mile 26
    For the first time in ages I actually looked well ahead of me on the road. I spotted the 3:50 pacers in the distance. I knew they had gone out a bit before me. If I could only catch them I'd be sure of sub 3:50. I summonsed the last reserves I had for one good mile. After a few hundred yards the number of people shouting support multiplied times over. Must be near the end! "Only 800 metres left" I heard someone shout. Thank fook I thought. I heard all the shouting and cheering but couldn't look left or right. On and on I trundled like the Bunny without Duracells, just some cheapskate alkaline battery. Nearly there now! And then I saw it....no it can't be...800 metres to go sign...an official sign...they lied to me back there... can't do another 800...I don't want to walk....Oh yesss!! There's the 26 mile marker! I've done it!!

Mile 26.2
    Wait..i haven't done it. There's the .2 left to do!! WTF is that finish line doing all the way up there? That's not .2. They've made a mistake. Bring it closer please!! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. The noise seems deafening but I still don't look...eyes on the prize! On the line I catch the 3:50 pacers...YESSSSSSS!! Sub 3:50...it must be! I look down at my watch. I don't remember stopping it but I must have using some stored reflex action. 3:47:20.! And then it hits me....

The Aftermath
    I'M A MARATHON RUNNER!!
    The emotions took over. I welled up inside but managed not to turn on the waterworks. First thought was to my Mam, as was the second and third. Then the happiness, excitement and contentment took over. The medal being put around my neck was such a great feeling. It was like my own Olympic medal, honestly that was how it felt.

After collecting my bag it was back to McGrattans. Two of my sons were there waiting and I got the biggest man hugs ever. They're not remotely interested in running but they know how far I have come and what I put into making this day possible. It was a fantastic moment.
    A few of the novices arrived in and there was joy and happiness abounding. Targets met, negative splits, getting around...the buzz was unreal. WW made an appearance and we spent a couple of relaxing hours over a few pints. Great pints, great company. It was only when I stood up to leave that I was reminded that my knee is fooked! I can barely put weight on it. Maybe rest will fix it, maybe it won't. Might need physio but who cares. It lasted the distance.

Beforehand everyone said it's your first marathon, enjoy it, take it all in. I did...for 20 miles. Then something strange happened and I ended up facing the beast that is a marathon. It was tough, it was painful, it was horrible in those last 6 miles but do you know what...I wouldn't have it any other way! It was a perfect day!!

Got up bright and early yesterday morning, woke at 4:15am feeling well rested and said feck it and got up. Was great, had plenty of time to have a nice breakfast and coffee and read and post here, nice and relaxed.

At the start of this process I had silly notions of what I was capable of. I had in my head that I could run a 3:30 but decided to be conservative and target 3:40.

That was at the very start of the plan. It took the first decent LSR, maybe the 13 miler three weeks in for me to gain some respect for the distance and for me to realise how naive I was. But I was still a little naive, I think I adjusted my target to 3:50. The hammer blow came after Fingal when I read a post on another thread where the OP linked to a Runners World predictor and said how spot on it was. I entered my 5k pb and my Fingal time and it spat out 4:16. I'll be honest I was devastated. Never used that predictor again lol.

After the FD10 McMillan gave me 3:56 and around then I decided to settle on 3:58:xx

Based on invaluable advice, from here and from my friend Eoin, my plan was to go out ultra conservatively and play the course in the first half, jogging really easily up the climbs and using the downs for recovery/conservation. Taking it really easy until Walkinstown and then switching gears to come home in a negative.

I had an excellent pace band that totally reflected that plan and proved immensely valuable.

Fuelling plan was a gel 15 mins before the gun and every 30 mins.

Miles 1 to 7

Met up with Damo and Mark (RolandDeschain) at the start and we set off together behind the 4 hour guys, but we had agreed that we would be running our own races and by about 300m we were seperated. I didn't notice anyone bursting off making an idiot of themselves like I expected, everyone around seemed sensible. I was definitely slower than most though, my pace for the first mile was to be 6:05km so naturally I was getting overtaken. I didn't mind this at all as I expected it. I did start to question it though at Kevin St when the 4:10 pacers overtook me. Hang on, this doesn't seem right. Had to keep reminding myself to trust the plan.

Didn't bother with the first two water stations, don't really see the point of them this soon tbh. Everything was rosy at this point, I was bang on pace, had a bit of an issue with the paceband though trying to calculate between miles and km, my pace had to change fairly sharply between 3 and 5 so I was concerned at one point as to which mile I was actually running, my 16 times tables got a workout. Having said that I wasn't a slave to the band either, there were times I felt it necessary to ignore it.

Pacing was perfect so far, the time on my band for the 5m marker was 47:36 and I went under it in 47:36.

10k was 59:15 and I went under in 58:49. All good in the hood.

Finally overtook the 4:10 guys at the Phoenix monument and put doubts to bed.

I took water at the third station after Myos (I think) and dropped half a zero tab into it. Drank that. I had also taken a jelly of a guy who had his hand out, I mistook it for an invitation for a high5 but ate the jelly anyway. Had decided pre-race not to do that as I hadn't done it in training. Around mile 7 or so I felt a little bit of strangeness in my belly, not a belly ache as such but a little disconcerting all the same. It was then that I realised that I had never taken a zero tab on a training run either. Doh. It went away pretty quickly and didn't come back so disaster averted.

Still feeling 100% and on track.

Miles 8 to 20

Started getting shoulder pain in my left one which was bothersome and I remembered something else my friend Eoin had posted on boards before about managing pain and how it's the anxiety around it that gets you rather than the pain itself. So I focussed on it in my mind, relaxed and convinced myself that it was manageable and not going to affect me. It went away soon after that.

Mile 10 on the band said 1:32:35 and I went under it in 1:32:35. Like a Japanese subway train. I was amazed by this.

Slowed right down to a crawl going up the hill in Chapelizod, real easy effort, again remembering sage advice from Eoin. This hill will end your race and you won't even know about it for two hours. Easy peasy does it, don't worry about all those foolhardy ones romping past you.

Got some support from four bunches of friends between Dolphin's barn and Walkinstown roundabout. My mate and his wife and kid had a big banner with 'Go Conor' on it. It's amazing what this does for you! And feeding off the crowds in general. I got great energy from it, I was doing a Damo all over the place pumping my arms in the air to roars from the crowds, it was like mainlining RedBull with the boost it gave me.

My paceband time for the halfway gantry was 2:00:40 and I fist pumped when I looked at the watch and it said 2:00:31.

I felt brand new.

I couldn't believe we were at Walkinstown already, I stood there last year and watched people in awe, I couldn't believe then that people could still be pushing after running almost 14 miles and here was I shouting and roaring at crowds and feeling like I had only ran 1 mile. It was awesome.

I had planned with my wife and her Mam on Saturday night for them to be outside Borza on the Cromwellsfort road, but I knew there was a chance they wouldn't make it because of the baby. They were the last of my expected supporters except for a friend at Ballsbridge. They were supposed to be on the right hand side of the road but they were nowhere to be seen. I scanned left and right and even slowed down a little. I was gutted. Was dying to give my 3 year old a kiss. I decided to knuckle down then and got into the zone.

Was coming towards the Submarine and I heard my wife roar out my name, I was only about 20 feet from them and we almost missed each other. I flew over, grabbed my little one and gave her a big kiss, kissed my wife and legged it on up the road with a big silly grin on my face and a supercharged burst of positivity and energy.

Caught up with the four hour pacers then in and around Terenure, spotted Damo but it was too congested to say hello. Gained about 400m on them and then ended up alongside Mark coming into Milltown. He was flying and in great form. We ran by Leesider who gave us a big cheer, that was a lovely surprise.

I was running a little faster than planned at this stage but I decided to carry on as I still felt really strong and fresh.

30k on the band said 2:49:42 and I went through it in 2:49:02. This is doable.

The dreaded 20 mile barrier was looming though and I wasn't sure whether it was a physical barrier or a mental one. I was getting anxious about it, about breaking that new ground.

Miles 21 to Merrion Sq

It went by and I felt fine, mile 21 went by and I stil felt good. Halfway through mile 22 though I suddenly started to feel the burn. Heartbreak was heartbreaking as the 400m I had gained on the 4hour guys evaporated like the sweat on my salty forehead. Those horrible red balloons bobbed by me and I felt like crying.

I knew though that Fosters was coming up and I knew those guys would be forced to run it at 5:38 so I barrelled down it and put a bit of distance between us. It didn't last long though. At the end of Nutley my left leg just all of a sudden seized up and I screamed in agony. I thought that was it, game over.

I hopped on it for about 50m afraid to stop because I knew if I stopped it really would be game over. The 4hr pacers came alongside me again. I managed to run out the cramp to huge relief.

I decided to run with them from then on, knowing that I had about 20 seconds on them anyway so if I could just hang on to them, even let them away by a few metres I would definitely sub4.

Their encouragement was phenomenal, they were dragging everyone of us over that line like we were their brothers and sisters. 'Only a parkrun from here guys' 'Keep pushing it, c'mon only 2 miles left' '15 minutes of running, that's it and you're home'.
    It was so helpful.

My watch beeped 41km and I found something deep in me. I dug deep and left them behind me. Looked down and I was running at 10k pace, roaring like a crazed animal. Went through the '800m' sign and spotted Damo up ahead and decided to try reel him in. That's all I remember though, don't remember the crowds, didn't hear the roars, I just saw that finish line and Damo.

Ran onto that beautiful, magical blue carpet and looked down at the watch, saw I was just about to nail my target and I nearly cried.

Boom! 3:58:08

My legs felt like they belonged to someone else, I was in a world of pain but I didn't care. I was bursting with raw emotion.

What a day, what an experience. What a pleasure to be in such a priviliged postition to be able to do it.

TL;DR Smashed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Aww guys, the reports are brilliant, I’m so happy for everyone :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

skyblue46 wrote: »
    So here we are...Race Report time......

It was a perfect day!!

Super run, super report. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Get this report done while its still fresh because I plan on copious amounts of alcohol tonight or tomorrow.
    tl;dr not great reading I wasn't well but got it done

In hindsight its a marathon I probably shouldn't have run , I don't think and hope I haven't done too much damage to my body. The night before without too much TMI lets just say I was totally emptied going to bed, not sure if it was antibiotics or nerves but had small bouts of vertigo put one foot on the floor and went asleep. Woke up and it wasn't as bad but bending down to put my runners on it happened again. Had a coffee and a bagel and got into my job for 7.45 (I work on merrion square) so sat down there in work on my own and had a cup of tea , I was up and down to the toilet every few minutes I was well emptied but stomach was cramping , again I wasn't nervous but I text a mate he said "it's just nerves I get it before big races". Had a cup of water and left the job at 8:45 around and in behind the 3.20 pacers ( I was freezing at this stage and not feeling well at all).

Mile 1-5 (7.57,7.24,7.39,7.28,7.34)

As soon as we started the pacers just seemed to get away , at the first turn I was sent left the long way around traffic island and when I looked up the pacers where already 200m's ahead. I was getting frustrated tried to run fast but the legs just couldn't do a fast km , this was not a good sign this early. I had a sharp pain under my rib cage and my leg felt dead from above the knee crampy and sore. I didn't have a heart rate monitor but felt my chest and I knew I was working way too hard at this stage. Got onto the quays and was going to pull out , at around this stage my watch beeped it was a notification I can read texts on my watch the family whatsapp group and my brother texting saying Eoin's doing great I am tracking him we are waiting for him at the park. It was the last thing I wanted to read at that stage. Didn't want to let him down with his kids there so decided to go meet him at very least. At mile 5 took my first gel was dreading this , took a mouthful and it came straight back up (sorry tmi!) I really needed some energy so opened another held my nose let out a little yell and it stayed down.

Mile 6-10 (7.34,7.31,7.17,7.25,7.35)

Went through 10k in 47.32 about 200m behind the pacers still and met my brother and his kids here at exit of park , quick words exchanged I said "I'm dying out here " he said go on do it don't pull out you'll regret it and your kids are waiting for you at finish line.
    The support here was unreal and for I really enjoyed it I was overcome by support it wasn't like anything I imagined , I tried to take it in and high 5'd a few kids , I had studied the course and I remember thinking after mile 8 its fast try not get carried away , I took advantage of the downhills and caught the pacers here , really needed a pee as we got back in the park but if I stopped there was no way I was going to catch up with 3.20 pacers again so held it in. Second gel at mile 10 and it took nearly a mile to get the gel in. Lots more messges on my watch , my brother texting we just met him hes flying , hes doing great , well done you have this , so proud..... these where half annoying me but half making me think I can't stop now.

Mile 11-15 (7.37,7.35,7.32,7.37,7.40)

I don't remember much about these miles just constant pain , I was stuck right behind one of the pacers (Jamie I think ) he was a legend shouting come on Crumlin , Castleknock was louder and really got the crowd going and it did help. I think we where a bit behind time coming up to half way Jamie was looking at his arm I looked at my own wristband and when I looked up Jamie had pulled 30m ahead of me , them little pushes really hurt , came through half way in 1.39.43.
    Mile 14 and 15 was a real battle to stay with pacers they seemed to speed up , I looked at my watch and wondered how 4.40 per km hurt so bad when in the half marathon a month earlier I was cruising at 4.15 pace.
    Another gel at mile 15

Mile 16-20 (7.26,7.27,7.26,7.29,7.36)

My running form was awful the compensation I had been making for my left leg been sore started to effect my hips and lower back , my calves got really heavy somewhere along here also . There was certainly some easier sections around here and some respite , as I took my phone out and sent a video message to the whatsapp group at mile 20 saying I'm hanging on just and hoping to be in beside the big blue balloons for anyone waiting. Another gel at mile 20 which I had to just about stayed down.

Mile 21-26.2 (7.44,7.50,7.35,7.31,7.43,7.45,7.40)

Lots of people stopping or stopped on the road about now , I said to one of the pacers I'm not going to make it and he said you are keep going , I was just mentally broke , sat in behind Jamie again he warned us to get ready for a hill drive the arms etc. I was getting annoyed at everyone now spectators in my way or banging elbows with people. As we went up my the bypass over the road more encouragement from the pacers , just a parkrun to go ......... I started to visualise Malahide parkrun , I was thinking 1km is nothing its just down around by the pitch and putt course in Malahide how has my watch not beeped for another km yet, these miles brought me to a place that I never want to go again. I don't think I've ever been so close to God. 800m's to go sign ... It's 2 laps of the track someones winding me up this isin't 800's I can't keep going like this , my heart was starting to hurt I was getting annoyed at how far away the finish line was it should have been opposite the hospital in my mind. Went over the finish line hit the watch 3.19.28 , thanked the pacers , wow what a day.

1st half 1.39.43
    2nd half 1.39.45

Afterwards

I was in a really bad way teary eyed and hugging the barriers couldn't answer my phone , went around to the job and swiped myself into the building , I was the only one in the building and seriously worried about collapsing or worse. My parents where in town and rang me I asked them to come to the job and help me out. I spent the next hour or so been sick . A few can's of coke later I start coming around . Still limping about today everywhere aching but no injuries thanks god.

The support today was exceptional , I never imagined anything like it . The pacers are legends and without them I was running somewhere north of 4 hours , the support of everyone on this thread has been amazing , at times when I was really struggling I did think of all the work WW , AMK , Scott and many others had put in to this thread and the least I could do was finish , don't know if i'll ever run another marathon again but I'll definitely be there next year supporting and giving a little back.
    Looking forward to reading the race reports , hoping they read a bit better than mine would love to write I did the whole thing with a smile on my face high fived everyone and took the day in but thats not the way it was.

clickerquicklic so glad you had a great day. Savage result. Jamie (one of the 3:20 pacers, the one you mentioned) is my husband! Glad he managed to inspire you to your result. He loves pacing and gets so into it so knowing he managed to help someone else I know will mean a lot to him. Well done on your savage performance and glad it went well for you.

Aww guys, the reports are brilliant, I’m so happy for everyone :):):)

I'm looking forward to reading them all, spent the last hour posting my own. Have to make the dins now but I'll get stuck into them after it.

Brilliant reports coming in.....great reading and a real insight into the emotions of marathon day.

I was keeping an eye out for you in Chapelizod as well Sean but couldn't spot you! Super time and a well executed race day by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to reading them all, spent the last hour posting my own. Have to make the dins now but I'll get stuck into them after it.

Same as that...it took longer than I expected and I still left lots out!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Well done everyone on the amazing amazing results you must all be so proud of what you achieved. Well done everyone and so glad it all went so well for you all.

So for me final result on the day was 4:36. All in all was really happy with the time.

I had a loose target of 4:30 but in all honesty my training had got sidetracked in the last two months so really wasn't sure if that was achievable. Also was up half the night before with a vomiting toddler (but no excuses!).

Having done 4:21 in Dublin pre-babies in 2013 I decided, you know what, I'm just going to go out and enjoy this marathon and have no agenda. I'm going to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy it rather than battle for a time.

So I went out with the 4:30 pacers and really enjoyed the first 13/14 miles. Felt I was running well within myself and felt I was having trouble trying to hold back but then for some reason I just ran out of steam and the pacers just drifted off from me. I found miles 15-20 just so tough. My hip flexors and outside of knees were in real agony. But I have always struggled with this injury so knew this could always be a problem. So had to walk a bit. But then I picked up again and really enjoyed the last 6 miles and spent the 6 miles passing lots of people.

It was actually so nice to just really settle in and soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the sunshine and enjoy the process in itself rather than just the result. Crossing the finish line was so thrilling and from a personal point of view I felt such an achievement and feeling back to my pre-baby self of being able to run the marathon (if 15 mins slower).

A great event, a great day, great support and a great thread. Thanks to all on this thread for the support and advice over the last while

Oh great reports

skyblue46 as always you have a great way with words what a great report I am reading and remembering thinking the same things which I forgot to mention in mine! you describe the elation of crossing that finish line so well!

I might have seen Craig I noticed someone with red hair shouting support and I waved and smiled actually I waved smiled thumbs up at everyone!!

Leesider I am not sure if I seen you, I heard someone say something to me, I stalled looked around and was waving and saying hello not sure of what direction the voice was coming from, then I was like no that not her did you have sunglasses on ?

Lazare so glad it went so well :) again I am reading and nodding my head in agreement, I met my sister close to the end and was not expecting her at all, she tracked us on the tracker and swooped my niece up for a big hug great boost lovely seeing loved ones along the way

Well done everyone on the amazing amazing results you must all be so proud of what you achieved. Well done everyone and so glad it all went so well for you all.
    /QUOTE]

Well done to you as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Why did I sign up to this gruesome distance??
    After doing a 5k relay race with work I was browsing boards one night and came across this forum, and then this thread. Creeped for ages and then looked at the plans. Thought it wasnt too bad as it was only 4 days a week (HHN1) and off I went with the first couple of runs. 3 years ago I posted on FB saying id love to do a half marathon or a full one, and would love to do it for Temple Street Kids Hospital, as when I was born I was very sick. I was in and out of there for a long time, and id love to give something back to them.

Took a while and a bit of reading to realise what EASY and LSR paces actually meant! As the runs got longer I got an injury. Went to a physio (purely because he was close) and he was crap. 4-5 weeks out from DCM and I went to a really really good physio, Aidan Woods. This man saved my marathon, FACT!

I knew coming into it that I hadnt got the best of training blocks under my belt, but itd be enough to get me over the line (the start at least!). I missed a couple key runs, even missed a full week at some stages. Towards the end It was really bad, the 20 miles turned into an abusive 17 miles, and from there it was downhill. The knee was constantly sore, the midweek runs were now torture and it was really getting to me. I knew id get there, but the competitive side of me always wanted a sub 4 and id be fairly annoyed at myself if I didnt get it. Thinking back, its absolutely ridiculous because we should consider ourselves lucky to be out there regardless, and the more people I encountered out on that course the more that it hit home.

The prep was done, the carbs were consumed, the fluids shoved down me, I just needed to wake up early (Lazare made sure of that! ;)) and show up, and it was game on.

Miles 1 - 3 (09:17, 8:50, 9:04)
    Me, Lazare and RolandDeschain were at the start together, three of us absolutely BUZZING. Got a sneaky selfie in that I dont think ill forget for a while, I would have loving to get one after to compare the looks on our faces! All agreed to go out there and run our own race, if we split up then so be it! First couple miles were handy, opened up a bit nicely on the downhill onto the quays.

Miles 4 - 6 (09:10, 09:03, 09:28) 10k Mark: 57:10
    Onto the north circular road and heading to the park, all feeling good. Got talking to a lad here that was sound, running under them trees was deadly especially with the sun. Into the park, left after Garda HQ and we witnessed a Stag on a rampage. Ran along side me on the grass verge on Spa Road and jumped over a kid on the side!! Quickly turned around and headed back the opposite way. Coming to the 4 mile marker the knee started at me, turned onto chesterfield and it was confirmed. Found myself ahead of pacers so had to pull back. The girlfriend and parents were just at 5 miles. Seen them with the dog so ran over and told them the knee was gone, they said no keep going your doing great, quick hug and off I went up the rest of chesterfield. Gel at mile 5.5

Miles 7 -9 (09:14, 08:41, 08:55)
    Coming out of Castleknock gate was absolutely insane, the cheers as soon as you leave are mental. Caught up with Roland here, and the two of us couldnt believe the atmosphere, he asked how I was and I told him the knee is gone. Off he went again, what a runner! Downhill after the left turn I popped two painkillers from my little drugs bag :pac: and a half zero tab! Off we go back into the park and I catch back up with him. "Take it easy, forget about your time and just think of how much of an accomplishment it is actually doing this!" Was similar to what he told me, I said "Exactly, we are lucky enough to be doing this, fook the knee!" As I passed a person in a wheelchair with his folks I said well done to the both of them, he put his hand out for a high 5 off me, the knee was the last thing on my mind now! Absolute warriors the three of them. Someone walloped off the bollards going out the gate! Ouch.

Miles 10 -12 (09:02, 08:59, 08:49)
    The rest of the route Ive never ran so wasnt sure what to expect. Over the bridge and the sharp left was more great support. Through couple tunnels singing oge oge oge with the 4hr pacers, ledgends. Gel at mile 11.

Miles 13 - 15 (08:59, 09:00, 09:05) HALFWAY: 01:59:21
    Painkillers definitely working last couple of miles holding the serious pain at bay, but its still really sore. Again, the support at Dolphins barn was unreal, not somewhere im familiar with so was just following everyone rather then remembering the route in my head. Halfway there!! Home stretch now, right??

Miles 16 - 18 (08:44, 08:55, 09:00)
    Gel here at mile 16. Just past the walkinstown roundabout (I Think??) More great support, the miles ticking away and im LOVING the music stations, as most know I love running with music so these were a real pick me up! Hamstrings were tightening up, really fecking badly,

Miles 19 - 21 (08:59, 09:08, 09:06) 30K Mark: 02:49:14
    Nice run down templeogue road with the cheering zone before turning right onto Orwell, close to where a family member lived that passed a couple weeks ago, really helped me through here I must say. Now both groins are tightening, no if I stop I wont start running again, must keep going. I run through a hamstring cramp with a bit of encouragement from a randomer.

Miles 22 - 24 (09:18, 08:52, 08:59)
    Woah woah woah, where did this hill come from. Took this real slow and just mustered on up, hamstrings SCREAMING at me to stop but I had to keep going. "Go on Damo!!" I heard, what?? I looked at a woman and she just had her fist in the air to keep going, then I remembered my name was on my number haha. That picked me up big time. Didnt like this part of the course really, other then telling myself its only one park run left. One lad said "Sure its only 5k to couch!" and the pacer said "Its 5k to a bar stool ya eejit!!" :pac:

Miles 25 - 26.2 (9:15, 09:02, 02:54)
    Longest two miles of my life, I couldnt believe how close we were but they were taking ages?? Legs are completely shot at this stage, hamstrings were gone, my left shin was in agony from really early on but now its agonising, groins were gone, I was a mess. That turn onto the final 800 meters was unreal, the crowds :eek: More music had me buzzing, got the crowds going by waving my hands up and down for more support. On that final stretch I had no more pain, it dissapeared. I put what little energy I had left into that last 100m, hands up in the air and over I went. I done it. 3:57:57!!l
    Rang the OH and she told me where they were. Got my medal, bag and top and went to meet them. Such a relief, im a marathon runner.

Post race
    18 weeks, missed runs, smashed runs, a couple of injurys, and over an incredible €1200 raised for Temple Street Childrens Hospital later, it was all done and dusted. I set a goal of raising €500, and done over double that. I couldnt believe how generous people were with the donations, and I think theyll be sick of me thanking them, but that meant a lot to me being able to help out such a great cause, that do amazing work to change kids lives like they did mine.

I didnt make McGrattans as a lot of my family came in to meet me at the finish and head for food, but I hope we might even be able to catch a pint after Jingle Bells, fingers crossed. Unreal experience, thanks to Wubble Wubble, AMK and the numerous other people on here that filled us with invaluable advice every single week, honestly I know for fact I wouldnt have done it without all them posts. It may not seem like much to yourselves, but yous help us out immensely.

Right so, whos signing up on Wednesday?? #DCM2018 :cool:

Advertisement