Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Did training for the marathon, and the marathon itself, meet your expectations? Why/why not?

The training was as I expected. Runs around the 8 mile mark were my sweet spot of enjoyment/reward. Anything longer was a grind. The last 6 weeks in particular were not all that pleasurable.

The event was spectacular! So much better than I expected. I ran fine, neither great nor terribly. Sacrificed about 7 minutes to finish with my brother, which was one of the loveliest experiences I've had in sport.

If you could do anything differently in relation to your training or your race, what would it be?

Fewer days of running, more long slow runs, less speed work, and lower expectations.

Any future plans in relation to running?

To take a couple of weeks off and not think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Have to pop in here to add my massive congratulations to all of you who ran on Sunday. I was out cheering and the feeling even just watching it was incredible. I've followed this thread from the start and you've all made me determined to follow in your footsteps next year. Thoroughly enjoying reading the race reports so far.
    Hope the aches and sore muscles have started to ease, but the warm glow hasn't started to fade yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

- Did training for the marathon, and the marathon itself, meet your expectations? Why/why not?
    Training got relatively boring for me tbh. Too used to football training with 15 other lads all giving stick etc. Out for 2-3 hours on my own was tough to get used too. Loved all of the races through the race series though and the day itself was fantastic, particularly up to about mile 17/18 when the pain start kicking in

- If you could do anything differently in relation to your training or your race, what would it be?
    Definitely would have done some S&C beforehand if I'd known my knee was going to cause me trouble. Would have loved to have done some more speed stuff and in particular some type of hill work but the knee prevented that. Would also love someone to run with who was of roughly the same ability as me and with the same aims, for one or two runs a week.

- Any future plans in relation to running?
    Back to football for me now for a few months. Going to try to keep up at least one run a week and parkruns on the weekends its feasible. I'll do Jingle bells and after xmas come up with some sort of S&C plan to get me in good order for another crack at DCM next year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Did training for the marathon, and the marathon itself, meet your expectations? Why/why not?

The training went well, was out 5 days a week averaging 40-45 miles per week mixing running with clubmates and on my own. Got a plan from a coach in the club which i modified slightly. Was knocking out PB's for half marathons during the training cycle.

Really enjoyed the first half of the marathon but the second half was a nightmare because I set the goal too high for myself

If you could do anything differently in relation to your training or your race, what would it be?

My training went well and I shifted my goal from 3:45 to 3:30 mid training cycle because other people said i could do a 3:30.

In the end I did 3:46 which I'm happy with but the second half of the marathon was torture and was carried over the line after my legs gave way with the finish line in sight. I wish I had kept my original goal and enjoyed the race (as much as thats possible!)

I have a strange numbness about the whole experience. Had looked forward to it so much but I ruined the experience for myself

Work on the shorter distances for time being and then a redemption marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Would also love someone to run with who was of roughly the same ability as me and with the same aims, for one or two runs a week.

I think this would be a big one for me as well, specifically the long runs. The short ones are grand u can leg it out before dinner or whatever, but heading out for 2-3 hours on your own is boring, for me anyways. Running with someone would eliminate that, but also have someone there to push u on when ya need it and be able to do the same on they're tough days too.

I've looked into a club the last couple of weeks and might do it in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Joining a club is one of the best things that I did after DCM16. Really brings you on and you pick up great advice from the more experienced lads.

It is worth going down to a few session to suss things out and clubs will be happy for you to do this before committing.

If you have any questions on this give me a shout.

C
    Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I think this would be a big one for me as well, specifically the long runs. The short ones are grand u can leg it out before dinner or whatever, but heading out for 2-3 hours on your own is boring, for me anyways. Running with someone would eliminate that, but also have someone there to push u on when ya need it and be able to do the same on they're tough days too.

I've looked into a club the last couple of weeks and might do it in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

- Did training for the marathon, and the marathon itself, meet your expectations? Why/why not?

Absolute yes and yes, it was my first time ever training, as in following a plan and running for a purpose and I enjoyed it immensely, even the tough heartbreaking runs like the first 20 miler. The sense of achievement throughout was so fulfilling.
    The day itself surpassed the hype, I will never ever forget it.
    - If you could do anything differently in relation to your training or your race, what would it be?
    I can't honestly think of anything I would have done differently, maybe not skip so many recovery runs. Next year will be a different plan though now that I've put down a marker.

Yes, I'm starting an 8 week plan at the beginning of next month targeting the Raheny 5. I want to see where I'm at with parkrun too now that I'm fitter with the hope of going sub 20. Going to concentrate on short stuff, up to 10k until next summer before launching back into training for the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Not sure I have a good answer to the training element of this question because I didn't have any particular expectations beyond trying to enjoy my running and as the Marathon was my first race (beyond a couple of 5 milers a couple of years ago which I did no real training for) I found having a target to aim for very helpful. I loosely followed the plan the marathon posted on their social media which was helpful. As for the day itself - totally surpassed expectations, it was an amazing experience which wont be soon forgotten. It helped that I met my goal to run the thing without walking. I was disciplined with my pacing and all my mile splits were in or around 10.15 which meant there was something in the tank to speed up for the last couple of miles.

Essentially agree what Lazare said - now that I have one in the bag I think i'll follow a slightly more ambitious plan and maybe aim for a particular time. I also would try and keep my S&C work going. I largely stopped going to the gym once the serious training started just because of time constraints but I think i'd benefit from maybe forgoing a short run and going to the gym.

As for the race - I think even at my slow pace I could have done the first 10 miles even slower. While I did pick up near the end it was more adrenalin than anything else, would be better to gradually increase it over the last few miles rather than a burst near the end. Would certainly improve the time.

I'm going to to the Raheny 5 mile I think then have another bash at the Marathon next year. Think I might do the entire race series next year as well.

Its a bit annoying that the entries are open already however. Theyll be sold out by Christmas i'd imagine.

Also it would be interested to hear how people got on in their second marathon, it would be hard to replicate the buzz and the atmosphere of your first.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

-
    Its a bit annoying that the entries are open already however. Theyll be sold out by Christmas i'd imagine.

definitely not. I only signed up last year in May

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    definitely not. I only signed up last year in May

Last year the sold out fast IMO. End of May and it was closed IIRC.

You'll be grand once you sign up before March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Last year the sold out fast IMO. End of May and it was closed IIRC.

You'll be grand once you sign up before March

Pricing seems to be different for next year - 1st 7,000 are €70, next 7,000 are €80 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Rossi7

Just signed up to next years marathon, my first one. Been reading all your experiences this morning on this thread, fair play and well done on all your hard work. Mine has only just begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Just signed up to next years marathon, my first one. Been reading all your experiences this morning on this thread, fair play and well done on all your hard work. Mine has only just begun.

Get ready for an epic adventure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Rossi7

Baby75 wrote: »

Get ready for an epic adventure :)
    Does this mean your taking us novices under your wing now that your a marathon runner and starting up the DCM Novices Thread 2018 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

The race series isn't open for purchase is it? I wonder how that's going to work out whenever they put that deal together - they didn't start that till December last year if I remember correctly.

Yes. I decided to follow H1N1 and advice in this thread was invaluable. My own ability to follow the plan however leaves a lot to be desired. Be in the weather, the daily burn that is commute, work related stress, other demands on your time with kids/family - I had a long list of reasons to skip runs. Looking back I don't see even one full week where I stuck to the plan. That shows it's not all work/commute/life - there was a bit of lazyness too. I also found it hard to run three days in a row - which is crucial to train your body to run on tired legs. This I think is one of the key points of the training that I lost out on, even if I did most of the LSR runs. I also fell in love with cycling as soon as I started the plan. I immensely enjoyed exploring scenic routes in the north and scored couple of 200k+ rides starting off with zero base. I have absolutely no regrets.

I treated the plan as a guide and made sure to listen to my body - which I think was absolutely the right thing to do - but on the flip-side I should have tried harder. I have no illusions - mental limitations are as real any other limitations - I just will have to work with what I have and improve. On the plus side, I have plenty of room to improve :)

As above, be more disciplined and work harder. Keep the main thing the main thing, and stay happy like I am with the current results!

During this training, I met my 5k target of 25 minutes and 10k target of 55 minutes. Finishing a half and even a full was also targets for 2017 at the top of the year and I have done it all. Super thrilled.

New targets: 5k under 23 minutes. 10k under 50 minutes. Half marathon under 2 hours. And marathon under 4h 30m. And cycle a bazillion miles in between... when I am not motorcycling that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Delayed race report;

Pre Race
    Travelling from west Cork to Dublin was not an issue, without children. A few toilet and food stops. We, myself and wife, made it to the RDS, parked in the church which is very handy, into the expo by 3pm, collected our numbers and away again without any fuss. Checked into Dawson st. hotel, went for a light 2 mile jog towards the start and around St. Stephen’s Green. Well hydrated, nice pizza in Milanos on Dawson St, settled in and early to bed, good few hours sleep, woke at 6am feeling good. Breakfast in the room, shower, prep body, dressed and away to start. All good at the bad drop and start no issues, threw away jumper and went across the line 15 seconds behind the 3:20 pacers.

I don’t know Dublin so can’t use street names or areas.

Early on/ Q1; 10k in 48:26; average 7:48/mile
    No panic, good adrenaline, took water at mile 3 and 5. Left the 3:20 paces go ahead as planned. I was feeling good, a little discomfort in my stomach by that went away after a little while. There was a guy with his shirt off already!!

Q2 Half way in 1:42:23; average for section 7:41/mile
    The temperature increased and I was started to heat up during this section. This probably took more effort than I realised to keep the same pace going. The support was brilliant around this section and other than a little hot I was feeling good. I think I missed every mile marker along the way and my gps was a good 200m out already. I took a gel at 7 and 11 miles with some water.

Q3 30k in 2:22:52; average for section 7:30/mile
    As I was feeling good at half way and as I had planned, I picked up the pace during this section, and looking for a positive split to the race I went to target a 3:20 finish. I took another gel at 16 with water and really felt like I was running very well and enjoying the crowds, loving al the cheering, high5 to all asking near me and generally enjoying the race as much as I could. I was getting excited at the strong possibility of a 3:20 finish when I crossed the timing mat at 20 miles back on target for 3:20.

Q4 to the finish; 3:29:13; average for this section 8:45/mile
    Who put that wall there and why?? I was going grand until someone built a wall at 35k and I saw it, I know it exists, I have been there before previously and yet here I am now face planted into an imaginary wall again for the second time out of 2
    The infamous ‘heartbreak hill’ was difficult but actually, albeit slower than before I got up it OK, it was after this the pain really started. I know it was the effect of the hill and the other 20 miles but from here on I was struggling. I kept ‘running’ for as long as I could but eventually I had to stop and walk. I don’t know where I was when the walking started but I do know that walking felt good!! I started to run again and walking and run and walked. I ran the last km or more but the video and pics tell their own story (4801). This last hour was very difficult. My hips wouldn’t let me lift my legs, and when they did my quads didn’t like when my legs landed. The support was excellent all though this section and nothing but encouragement. Mentally I was fine, spoke to a few nice supporters but my legs were not happy.

The Finish line
    Finally got over the line in 3:29:13. Very happy with the time but just not happy with the method of achieving it. There was good fun at the finish with others and congratulations and all that, got pack, shirt (its lovely), had the mind to go back on a get a large rather than medium.

I’m just going to leave this table from my GPS here for anyone for future years reading this.
    km km Split
    30 04:34.7
    31 04:40.2
    32 04:36.0
    33 04:50.5
    34 05:04.5
    35 05:24.2
    36 05:26.9
    37 05:12.6
    38 05:18.9
    39 05:30.6
    40 06:10.3
    41 06:27.1
    42 06:08.3

it's real!!!

Thoughts
    Follow the training plan (I did do this)
    Don’t change your target time (to faster) during the training block or just before starting (I also did this!!)
    I think I didn’t get the fuelling right on the day. I drank water at every water station but maybe not enough, maybe I needed more gels (80kg male, maybe 4 is not enough) maybe a zero tab would be a good idea. I do sweat a lot when running so will consider these during runs as well as before long runs if this ever happens again. I’m sure it will.
    I need to run another marathon at an even pace without any pressure (from myself) to go faster or hit a faster time, possibly 3:30 again and even pace it the whole way. Maybe back next year but if not definitely 2020.
    My wife ran negative splits to 3:42 even with missing the start of wave 2 by over one minute due to toilet needs. this thread , through me, gave great advice which she followed and had a super run, thanks to all.
    I had a great day, loved the race, and loved the crowds! The buzz before, during and after was great.
    Really happy with my finishing time.
    I shouldn’t have pushed for 3:20, I should have kept the same pace and came in at 3:25 or less!!
    I prefer shorter races! And my times are relatively better the shorter the race.

This thread is/was great, thanks to all who contributed esp WW, King, Scot and the many others

Well done to all who had the courage to start the training. Congrats to all who finished.

Does this mean your taking us novices under your wing now that your a marathon runner and starting up the DCM Novices Thread 2018 ;)

me noooo, I am way to under-qualified lol but I can think of one or two that would be great for that role :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

WW is the Boards equivalent of Simon Cowell just now deciding who the next Novice Mentor will be!
    Baby75 wrote: »
    me noooo, I am way to under-qualified lol but I can think of one or two that would be great for that role :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Just read your report there Podgec10 and funny you mention not seeing mile markers - I didn’t see one until the half way mark and spotted the 20mile one and somehow missed all the others too. I saw some of the 5km markers and knew that I was about .4kms out according to my watch so was readjusting based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Sorry for the lateness - I must be the last! But here goes:

Race Report.

I finally signed up for DCM at the 11th hour at the end of June. My older brother had done the previous 2, and I'd gone in to cheer him last year and the atmosphere was just incredible. I think that was the day the first seeds were planted. A friend had done 2016 as his first and he also continued the gentle prodding throughout the year. Then my little brother seemed to be getting in a bit of running and the suspicions that DCM might also be on his mind started! Up until last summer I hadn't really done much more that the odd 5k, usually on a treadmill when away for work, and usually to shake off the jet lag, and, yeah, maybe the results of the excesses of the night before. I also got a bit of a kick in the ass last year in the form of a few crappy blood results - not awful, but enough to make me think - Ok, time to take control here. So I started running a bit more, outside too, despite my purple running face, and cut back on the excesses. And it felt pretty good. So when DCM 2016 came along, i suppose I was primed :) I did the Raheny 5 in January - my first race since I was in school, which was quite a long time ago! Next up was the Ballycotton 10 and I was into unknown territory. I had no idea and was delighted to finish that in 1:25:xx. But in the process I injured my knee and ended up having to hang up my runners for 2 months, with a very gradual return to play program after that. So by the time I got back up to speed, I really felt I'd missed the boat. I'd planned to have run a HM and had a really good base for DCM and combined that with the warning that my knee injury may recur and would then need surgery, I really though that the planets weren't to align this time. But when the Facebook notifications and the posts on this thread, and the texts from my brother keep warning me that DCM 17 was about to sell out, I decided to bite the bullet anyway - if it wasn't this year, it might never be, so go for it!

Pre Race:
    Taper went fine, although I keep expecting to feel reinvigorated and full of energy for the task at hand. Instead, the short runs felt as hard as any of the long ones and I did begin to doubt myself. Trust The Plan they said.... By wednesday I had a blotchy scratchy throat, and had convinced myself that a bout of strep throat was on the way. But I was away from home so made do with gargling whiskey. It seemed to work and by saturday there was just a slight head cold and a bit of pressure in my sinuses. Nothing that was going to stop me. Saturday night was possibly the worst nights sleep I've ever had. I wasn't stressing over the race, or my mind wasn't racing, sleep would just not come. So I lay there reminding myself that AMK (i think) had said its not sleep but rest you need, and I was resting, and amazingly I was perfectly calm at the idea of running 26.2 miles on what turned out to be about 2 hours of sleep!

Sunday morning was really as perfect as you could hope for. Beautiful morning in Dublin, and the bag drop and waves etc were brilliantly organised. I met with my brothers and 2 friends for the pre race formalities, all dressed like hobos in our throw away clothes, exchanged a bit of nerve quelling banter, then friend No 1 headed off to wave 1 and the 4 of us continued to the portaloo queue in wave 2. Just before the official start time, the three lads headed up to hang with the 3:40 pacers and there I was, all alone with 20,000 others.
    My plan was based off the pace plan on findmymarathon.com - with an even effort which takes into account the elevation profile of Dublin, and I'd inputted a slightly conservative start. I really wanted to go sub 4, I really felt I had it in me if I had a Goldilocks day, but I knew that my training and base could have been better, and I was worried about overcooking it early and ending up in a heap of misery. I figured that if I didn't feel good when the plan asked me to increase pace, I could just keep the easy early pace and still come home in a time Id be happy with, and enjoy the day. I'd simplified the plan thought - it all looked a bit complicated, so i grabbed a band at the expo and wrote on the back of it: pace to 7 miles, 13.1miles, 22 miles and finish, and the crossing times at 7, 13.1 and 22. That was it. That was my plan. I hung at the back of wave 2, used the portaloo again, did a few dynamic stretches, ditched the warm clothes and got ready to go, still feeling a little bemused that here I was about to run a marathon!

Miles 1-7
    Over the start line, started my watch and just settled into a nice easy pace. No weaving in and out, I expected carnage at the first corner into lesson street so I stayed wide there and promised myself I could keep the racing line for the rest of it:D. I spent the first few miles just soaking it all up - the atmosphere, the crowds, the other runners - it was almost a surreal feeling. I remember turning onto Patrick street (I think) and seeing the road rising infront of me, filled with thousands and thousands of runners. I was filled with a mix of awe (the runners) and trepidation (the hill - is that supposed to be there??). Over the bridge into DNS, I was expecting to see my husband around the Aughrim Street, so I moved over to the right side of the pack and had my eyes peeled. The peeling continued along the NCR and I finally gave up all hope by the time I got to the PP. He'd planned to take his bike and see me there and then catch me at a few more points around the city, so I wasnt too worried - I'd catch him again. I was keeping an eye on the watch - I was looking to average 9:20/m pace for the first 7 miles, so as each mile ticked over I'd look and see: "9:15 - thats 5 seconds up, 9:02, 23 seconds up now, 9:23, thats ok, there was a hill there, still 20 seconds up", and so it continued. Into the PP park then, I'd run this part of the course in training so was comfortable enough with what to expect and tried to tuck in behind some big fellas when we turned onto Chesterfield Avenue as I was expecting the forecast NW wind. I made the mistake of following the big fellas over the cobblestone roundabout at the PP monument - note to self - running on cobbles is not comfortable! Into Castleknock and I knew to expect that the support would be immense here, but no amount of telling can prepare you - Wow - goosebumps central, hairs standing on the back of my neck, and I actually felt shivers - after 7 miles running! After turing the corner at Myos, and up the hill I was at 7 miles, the highest point of the course and time decide about pace. Well I felt great! So on to 'A' goal and up the pace to 9:00/m average for the next 6 miles.

Miles 8-13.1
    Down the hill then, feeling good and just letting my legs turn over, It was no effort to increase the pace here and the next few miles were all seconds for me to add to the cache, and I remember being about a minute up when I noticed the first official mile marker (I just hadn't seen any up to here) - which coincided with that mile + .1 on my watch! So a quick bit of mental arithmetic and I knew I was still ok, but begrudgingly gave most of my minute back! Every marker after that I was careful to check that my watch was still showing just 0.1 mile over, and so I was confident that my planned paces would keep me right. The second loop into the park was just spectacular in all its Autumn splendour. Turned out my husband was waiting at the Chapelizod gates - the sun in my eyes left me no chance of seeing him, and he completely missed me, so on I ran, and on he cycled!
    Into unknown territory now for me, the two hills under the underpasses were a bit unexpected, but with my 'even effort, average pacing' strategy, I just slowed up and took it easy going up them. I finally heard my husband shouting at me at the corner in Kilmainham and I was just passed him on the other side of the road when I picked him out in the crowd and gave him a big grin and a wave. Before I knew it I was at the half way mark and feeling great 1:59:35 - thats 40 seconds up for me - Ooh Rah!

Half - mile 22
    Half way was also the cue for my next pace target - ease off to 9:10/m now until mile 22. I knew Crumlin road was a bit of a drag, but it was fine, I felt good and the crowds there made it easy. The jellies and other offers of refreshments were several deep at points here and the miles flew by. I remember around 16 miles feeling the slightest feeling of panic when I realised that it was getting a little bit hard. Then I had a bit of a talking to myself - it's a marathon ffs, it's supposed to be hard! I reminded myself that it was just a Ballycotton to go, and luckily my psyche blocked the fact that i ended up on crutches after that one...... So on I went, holding the pace easily enough and feeling that I really could maybe do this! Before I knew it we were facing up to Heartbreak Hill, again I slowed the pace a bit and went for it. About half way up the DJ called out my name, so that gave me a boost, and I punched the air and powered on. I knew once I got to the top it was downhill from there, and psychologically I was on the home straight.

Mile 23 - The Finish Line
    Having conquered HH, an upping of pace was called for again -9:00/m to the finish which seemed doable and I got a bit of a surprise when I turned onto the Stillorgan road and got a face full of head wind! The field had thinned out a bit and big fellas were in short supply, but I found a series of them, (Yep, I was really overtaking here). Got a great lift from the fire brigade lads at the bottom of the UCD flyover and was almost at it when I noticed the mast at RTE - I knew then that we were turning into Nutley Lane, and it would be more sheltered, and there really were no more hills. A quick look at my watch and calculation told me that so long as i didn't F this U now, I would get my sub 4! Turning onto Merrion Road I was feeling great and almost giddy with excitement, and while I was tempted to 'empty the tank', I resisted, afraid that the wall would catch me and I would just run out with a mile to go. So I kept my pace steady until I could almost see the finish and enjoyed every second of the last run to the line. My sister in law was screaming at me and I waved over at her as she somehow managed to separate two small children while simultaneously waving at me (still fighting over the jelly babies - the irony - the one day of the year when the streets of Dublin are literally covered in jellies) . Two other sisters in law were also screaming, but I missed them over the noise of the most amazing crowd of supporters, and it really did feel like each one was rooting for me. I crossed the line, arms in the air, big grin on my face feeling fantastic. I'd got my Goldilocks day, my A goal (3:58:32) and enjoyed every minute of it. I got my medal and asked the volunteer if I was too sweaty for a hug - no way she said and she duly obliged! Picked up my goodie bag and my finishers T shirt, which I am immensely proud of and am wondering how I can incorporate it into my daily wardrobe without being a complete pain in the arse! I wandered up towards the bag drop and met my friend for the first of many Sunday afternoon back patting sessions and then caught up with my brothers and other friend, and was delighted to see that they were all happy campers too. I wondered before if i'd ever do another - as my brother said "when you crossed the line did you swear you'd never do that again? No? Then you will!"

What a day. What a journey. I do feel I've gone on a bit here, so sorry for keeping you if you're still reading! A massive thanks to this group of strangers who have had each others backs for the last 6 months. To Wubble for taking the helm and guiding us to the finish line, and to his collaborators who have rowed in with some gems of knowledge that prepared us, calmed us down, stoked us up and generally got us to the line and around the course in the best possible shape. 3 days later and I'm still kind of floating. Wow. Just wow!

• Advertisement

Whoa there! Someone robbed 10 seconds off me - table up dated to reflect superior finish time 3:58:32 :D

Bib No.| Username | Target Time | 10k | hm | 30k | Actual Time
    3012| skyblue46 | 03:54:59 | 56:41 | 1:57:10 | 2:44:39 | 3:47:20
    xxx | quickbeam | 05:59:59 | xxx | xxx | xxx | 5:44:56
    9240| candamir | 03:59:59 | 58:01 | 1:59:35 | 2:49:59 | 3:58:32
    17824 | kellygirl | 04:29:59 | 1:05:19 | 2:13:58 | 3:08:14 | 4:20:05
    12429 | Damo 2k9 | 03:59:59 | 57:10 | 1:59:21 | 2:49:14 | 3:57:57
    13388 | Positron | 04:29:59 | 1:01:57 | 2:11:42 | 3:20:51 | 4:55:27
    6501| Lazare | 03:58:xx | 59:58 | 2:00:31 | 2:49:02 | 3:58:08
    xxx|Leesider| 04:59:59|
    2629| clickerquicklic | 03:16:29 | 47.29 | 1.39.47 | 2:21:18 | 3:19:28
    17523| stampydmonkey | 03:56:xx | tbc | tbc | tbc | 3:53.29
    14189| RolandDeschain | 03:54:xx | 57:07 | 1:59:33 | 2:49:03 | 3:56:12
    xxx| Yevon | 04:09:59 |
    14503| BrownEyes79 | 04:20:xx | 1:01:36 | 2:09:45 | 3:04:32 | 4:25:40
    19822|statina| 04:55:59| 1:05:44 | 2:21:27 | 3:27:05 | 4:59:21
    13758|ariana| 04:39:xx| 1:08:10 | 2:21:56 | 3:19:10 | 4:37:06
    18070|heebusjeebus| 04:20:00| 00:58:18 | 02:05:22 | 02:59:26 | 04:11:27
    19946|henrietta| 04:35:00| 1:03:32 | 2:14:35 | 3:13:24 | 4:32:42
    1073|Sheep1978| 03:29:59| 50:15 | 1:45:18 | 2:28:38 | 3:28:29
    xxx|deisedude| 03:29:59|
    4442|conti| 03:19:59| 46.04 | 1.34.49 | 2:15:16 | 3:16:20
    xxx|drkpower| 03:40.00|
    4801|Podgec10| 03:19:xx| 48:26 | 1:41:23 | 2:22:52 | 3:29:08
    xxx|Battery Kinzie| 03:19:59|
    9261|dos29| 03:40:00|53:43| 1:51:05| 2:37:27| 3:39:27
    13386|Omeceron| 04:29:59| 1:03:36 | 2:14:46 | 3:19:11 | 4:48:41
    xxx|nedsgarden| 04:40:00|
    xxx|Thunderdog| 03:49:59|
    8263|choons| 03:29:59| 53:24 | 1:49.23 | 2:35:29 | 3:49:29
    9026|Halloween Jack| 03:59:59| 56:41 | 1:58:51 | 2:47:48 | 3:54:39
    21169|muddypaws| 05:59:59| 1:15:10 | 2:52:23 | 4:13:30 | 6:01:32
    14014|ted1| 04:29:58| 1:02:16 | 2:10:59 | 3:11:37 | 4:44:42
    4967|Amirani| 03:44:59| 54:27 | 1:54:06 | 2:42:22 | 3:52:02
    xxx|excitementcity| 04:29:59|

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Just updating the table and noticing that the vast majority of people broadly matched or bettered their target time. I haven't done a scientific analysis but from recolllection that is a much better hit rate than in previous years.

Testament to WW and the other gurus.

3174|drkpower| 03:40.00| 51:38 | 1:48:16 | 2:33:52 | 3:35:20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

drkpower wrote: »
    Just updating the table and noticing that the vast majority of people broadly matched or bettered their target time. I haven't done a scientific analysis but from recolllection that is a much better hit rate than in previous years.

Testament to WW and the other gurus.

3174|drkpower| 03:40.00| 51:38 | 1:48:16 | 2:33:52 | 3:35:20

It puts the experienced marathon runners tables in other threads to shame;) Wise heads on young shoulders:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

:)
    El Caballo wrote: »
    It puts the experienced marathon runners tables in other threads to shame;) Wise heads on young shoulders:)

And wise heads on not so young shoulders!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Just read your report there Podgec10 and funny you mention not seeing mile markers - I didn’t see one until the half way mark and spotted the 20mile one and somehow missed all the others too. I saw some of the 5km markers and knew that I was about .4kms out according to my watch so was readjusting based on that.

I wasn't looking out for the mile markers and didn't see any km markers but for some reason I thought they would be bigger or higher up or more visible anyway. I suppose it doesn't matter but it could annoy or confuse a runner for a little while when you don't know the official distance covered/left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Did the training for the marathon and the marathon itself meet your expectations - The marathon itself far exceeded expectations. As others have said it is probably a once in a lifetime experience made special by the people of Dublin and also by the size of the field. I couldn't imagine myself running a small and quiet marathon after this experience. As for the training it was similar enough to the Carrie plan and some HH plans which I had looked up so was as expected.
    Anything different, training or race Maybe I was a touch conservative for the first half of the race. A 7 minute negative split is probably too much. No regrets though. My training possibly could have been upped in intensity as I never really felt too pushed by it. That being said my training paces were appropriate to my ultimate race pace. Ultimately I see no need to change the plan. I might have liked speed work or some strength and conditioning but at the end of the day this is a novices plan designed to get people to complete the course and as such cannot have too many elements involved.
    Any future plans in relation to running? I can see myself joining a club, probably Raheny Shamrocks. I'd like to go after PBs as all are either serious neg splits or since bettered in longer races ie best 5k is second half of the 10k and best 10k was the last 10k of the half. Jingle Bells, Raheny 5, IR5 and the race series are all on my agenda as well as the Enniscorthy 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

The training was what i expected. I followed the novices thread a little bit last year and i had browsed training plans in the past so these gave me some insight. The long runs were tough, mentally as much as physically, but this i expected as i was training on my own. Sometimes fitting the runs around family/work was a challenge but i was amazed how there is nearly always a way to get it done when the stimulus is there. Having this group to account to was very motivational.

The marathon itself exceeded my expectations by a long mile. The buzz of it. It's 4 days later and i'm still buzzing :D

The main thing is in hindsight i'd have done more some S&C and maybe i'd have avoided injury in the final weeks :rolleyes:. The taper was a write off, i spent it in Physio, any runs i did were to test the knee, in the end i ran out time to really test the knee and lined up after being given a 50/50 chance to finish. Not ideal really :cool:

However, my race couldn't have gone any better aside from losing the pace group in the first 2 miles :rolleyes: I got faster at each timing point, i never felt like dying stopping and i finished smiling, it was my dream 1st marathon.

Yes build endurance and strength. I'd like to do 2 HMs in Spring/early Summer next year. I'll be targeting sub 2hr in these.

A possible other goal will be sub 50 min 10k but i think right now the focus will be on the longer distance(s) with a view to building a better base for a more aggressive marathon attempt in late 2018 (Dublin) or 2019.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just caught up with the reports over the last few days. Great stuff, plenty of inspiration for 2018's novices. :)

Post Marathon recovery not a bad read

https://fizifit.ie/post-marathon-recovery/

• Advertisement

Pretty much. I expected it to be tough, and it was, but I didn't find it too hard going until the last month or so, and even then still very doable. It was only really the last few really long runs that ate into time. I think I'd expected that to be a bit more of a problem. I remember reading in Hal Higdons book that some people loved the race, where others loved the training more than the racing. I found that really hard to comprehend. And here I am, missing the training!
    The marathon was awesome. Better than I could ever have imagined.

I would like to have had a better base going into it, and been able to follow a more agressive plan. I was injured earlier in the year, so I was a bit late starting and had to play a bit of catch up at the beginning. Having said that, I did the HHN1 plan, (with a bit of pace and tempo work in the midweek runs) and it served me very well.
    I've been doing pilates once a week since the beginning of the year, and I think that's been a great help. I started going to the physio at the end of August and added in more core /S&C work - I'll keep that going and looking back I should have been doing more of that from the get go.
    I'm ecstatically happy with how my race went. Wouldn't change a thing.

Keep running! I'll try and keep getting out 3/4 times a week. I'd like to do some shorter races and while I haven't committed just yet I can see myself lining up at DCM 18!
    I signed up for the Dungarvan 10 in Feb. I'll probably do the raheny 5 in Jan as it's local to me. And Jingle bells looks like a lot of fun too. I've never done a park run - it's always clashed with kids GAA, but I'd like to get I into that habit too.

Advertisement