Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Pre-race:
    Up early, breakfast, shower, some water (though not too much) and we're out of the house. My wife dropped myself and my brother n law in. We collected one of the other novices (Ariana) on the way and met Lazare and his friend when we got out of the car. Walked to Stephens green to meet some of the other novices for a quick photo. Nerves were kicking in so I didn;t hang about long and headed off with my brother n law.
    Left in our bags, visited the loo and headed in. We said our goodbyes and wished each other well as he was starting further up the field.

THE RACE:
    Miles 1-3 (8.11, 7.51, 8.10)
    Thought the congestion would be worse to be honest. Did my best not to go dodging left and right which I'd done in the half. Felt in such a good humour - we're in a f*cking marathon!!! All miles here slightly above target pace but not by too much. Took it handy up Manor St and Aughrim St. Blanked the first water station as planned.

Miles 4-7 (8.09, 7.57, 7.53, 7.59)
    Off NCR and into the park. Very tight going by the zoo with skinny roads. Suddenly got a shooting pain in my ankle like someone stuck a pin in me. Look down and a wasp or something was still stuck to me. Brushed it off with my hand but had to stop as the pain was bad. Got going again after 5 seconds. Slight pain which was grand but spent the next couple of miles worrying the ankle might swell or something. Was all good in the end. Used the first of my zero tabs and gels , in the park as planned. Crowds in Castleknock lived up to their billing. High fixed plenty of kids and got to my own wife and kids at MYOS who were there with some other family. Grabbed a banana and went off. Lots of people I knew along here as this is the closest part of the course to my house.

Miles 8-10 (7.42, 7.48, 7.55)
    Downhill for most of this so tried to let gravity do its thing and save some time without putting too much effort in. I definitely remember the sun feeling very warm in the park at this stage.

Miles 11-14 (8.05, 7.55, 7.55, 8.05)
    Purposely took it easy on the hill into Chapelizod and on the Crumlin road (even though the wind wasn't as bad as it was on my LSR). 3.30 pacer on the hill was great - constantly telling everyone to ease up and not to burn unnecessary energy. Was still loving tithe experience, crowds, high fives etc, though my lower back was getting sore - probably leftover from the previous weeks DIY exertions!! Passed halfway in 1.45.18. Maybe 40-60 ahead of planned time

Miles 15-18 (7.49, 7.45, 7.53, 7.39)
    Pushed on past 3.30 pacers in here at some point. Can't remember too many specific details about these miles - probably because of tiredness starting to kick in. I do remember a man deciding he was crossing the road regardless of runners. could easily have caused some carnage. asshole

Miles 19-22 (7.51, 7.45, 7.54, 8.21)
    Keeping the same pace here was definitely needing more effort and quads and groins were starting to hurt badly . For a couple of seconds I debating changing target time but remembered AMK's advice he gave me about giving yourself an easy out and decided if I was going to miss 3.30 I was going to miss it with a fight. Took it easy up Roebuck as always planned. Was purposely not looking behind me as didn;t want t see the pacers. Heartbreak hill was tough to be honest but when I got to the top I thought to myself 'f*ck you'

Miles 23-26.36 (7.59, 7.46, 7.52, 7.48 and 7.18 for the .36 my garmin saidI ran)
    Physically and mentally all over the place. Such a battle with yourself. Got to the top of the flyover, fist pumped at the DJ who was playing a great tune that I can't remember. Gave me a lithe adrenaline boost and on I went. Picked out someone 5 yards in front of me who was going at the pace I wanted and just stayed with him till past the RDS. Each marker seemed to take an eternity to come around. 800m to 400m felt like a mile!!! But once I got there I knew I was 99.9% going to reach target. Spotted my wife and kids near the finish and gave them a wave. Pretty sure I was smiling at that stage and crossed the line arms aloft and over the moon. Stopped after the line and absolute torture in my legs. Close to hitting the deck but the happiness kept me up. YES, did it. Collected medal etc and sat on a kern, in a world of pain for about 10 mins, probably felt a bit emotional / proud of myself for once and off to Mcgrattans,

Second half of 1.43.11 for a 2min negative split and overall 3.28.29. Over the moon

Massive thanks to WW in particular - top bloke and wish him all the best fir the future, took a strong person to put aside his own disappointment yesterday and still come to the out for the novices. Hope to meet you again J. Also thanks to AMK and Craig for some great advice and to all the other novices I spoke to on here or met in person. All legends.
    Lastly thanks to Mark, one of the 3.30 pacers who sponsored me my first pint as a marathoner while I waited on my wife to arrive with cash. I owe you one Mark if your reading by some small chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

clickerquicklic so glad you had a great day. Savage result. Jamie (one of the 3:20 pacers, the one you mentioned) is my husband! Glad he managed to inspire you to your result. He loves pacing and gets so into it so knowing he managed to help someone else I know will mean a lot to him. Well done on your savage performance and glad it went well for you.

No way , I owe Jamie big time (glad I remembered his name now !) , give him a big man hug from me , what a legend Jamie is.

When I heard about pacers and not having experienced pacers before I was expecting it to be just a few people running along with balloons on their back, but its nothing of the sort (well maybe the 3.20 group were really lucky) these guys are unsung heroes , from the time I caught up with them just leaving the park to the finish line it was non stop encouragement, banter, advice and steady pacing. Jamie was running just ahead of the two other lads and knew the course like the back of his hand , he prompted us ahead of hills and water stations and got the crowd going at every junction. Really made a huge difference I was toast without him there and it wasn't just me he helped as I was still bumping elbows with similar faces the whole way to the line.

Congrats on your own race , just read your report there excellent running and time.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Right so, whos signing up on Wednesday?? #DCM2018 :cool:

Damo I'm looking at this picture confused as to why you have your medal on before you ran a marathon , how the hell can you look that fresh after running a marathon!
    I've the video on my phone I made at mile 20 , I should upload it I look like I've escaped from ISIS and spent 3 days walking day and night through a desert with no food or water.

Loving these reports guys , some of yous had an awesome day keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

What an amazing day - even better than I could have hoped for. My goal for DCM was firstly to run the entire route without stopping in hopefully less than 4:30. Based on my training and paces I had achieved in long runs I created a pace band for 4:25 which was based on DCM’s elevation profile, a conservative start, even effort (slow up hills and a bit faster down hills) and a negative split (3 mins). All the paces seemed very doable and it followed the plan we heard over and over again here – go really really slow at the start. Most of my friends thought there wasn’t a chance I’d stick to it!
    The night before I got a real attack of nerves. I felt that I’d over done it carb loading and that I’d gotten it all wrong. I laid everything out and tried to be as organised as possible in the hope I’d sleep. It wasn’t a great night’s sleep but not the worst.

The morning started bright and early, had my porridge and a banana and headed to Stephen’s Green to meet the other Boardsies. Was exciting seeing the finish line and start line as I walked there. Ariana and myself headed off together then to find a loo. The queues were horrendous but we got there. While we were in the queue, a helicopter hovered over the start line, the National Anthem was sung and the 9am wave headed off. We then realised that we were now ahead of our wave and looking back at the 4:30 pacers so we jumped back in to where we were supposed to be. As planned I went in behind the 4:30 pacers.

0-10K; 1:05:20; Stage position – 13340; Average pace 10:31
    The gun went and we started moving. Straight away I held back and let everybody pass me. The crowds were amazing. I trotted along as slow as I could go and just soaked up the atmosphere. I’d been nervous of the numbers running and tripping over somebody but it wasn’t bad once moving at all. We started on the hills and still everyone was shooting past me so I kept saying trust my plan and I watched the 4:30 balloons move further away from me. Henrietta (I think as we used realnames) came up behind me and asked if I was a Boards member and we had a chat for a bit which was fab. Skipped the first water station as had brought my own bottle. Next thing I was in the Phoenix park. I was still chugging along nicely and knew a friend would be there who didn’t believe I’d stick to my plan of hanging back so I was delighted to prove that here I was doing what I said I’d do. High Fived her on Chesterfield avenue and took it nice and handy going up there. Took my first gel at 45mins. Then I was out at into Castleknock – Wow!!!!! The noise, the crowds, the music was incredible. I high fived kids and smiled at everybody and was thrilled my name was on my top as the cheers were great.

10km - Half 2:13:58; Stage position – 12175; Average pace 9:58
    Got to the highest point of the course and had to take some medication for my niggly gallbladder but at least that sorted it and no problems for the rest of the day. My paceband told me I needed to up the pace now so I moved on slightly and just went with how I felt and naturally seemed to settle into the pace specified. I was now starting to pass people out. One of the first was the guy doing the marathon by running backwards!!! I didn’t really know where I was after the Phoenix park but I took water at the next station and added half a zero tablet. At this stage I was hitting the back of the 4:30 group. The road narrowed and I hadn’t a hope of passing them so I hung round there for a while and took my time. Eventually I hopped up on the footpath and sprinted past the entire group and relaxed a little for a while then. I knew a friend was going to be at mile 12 so started watching for her. She ran about a km with me and offered me a banana and fig rolls. I said I didn’t need them so another fella heard and took them instead  On I went still feeling really strong and then the half way point was ahead of me. There was a girl lying on the foot path with people helping her and the road was so sticky. I was bang on time according to my paceband and had overtaken 1,165 people according to my stage position I found out today.

Half - 30km 3:08:14; Stage position – 10982; Average pace 9:49
    Crumlin was gas. The crowds were amazing. I was having a ball. I high fived kids all over the place. I laughed at the signs. I danced to music. I had chats to people around me as I passed them and I was loving every minute. I was getting ahead of my pace band but still in control and super comfortable. I was starting to think of the finish line and that I didn’t have long to go. In Terenure a really good friend roared my name and I flew over for a hug. He told me an old colleague from my job 12 years ago was ahead of me. I caught up with him, had a chat and off I went. I was flying. I knew I was in Rathgar and looking forward to what was coming next. I looked at people I was passing out and realised I was now up with people who’d started in the earlier waves as they had green and blue bibs. I had now overtaken another 1,193 people.

30km - Finish Line 4:20:05; Position 9121; Average pace 9:29
    As I hit Milltown I was now over 2 minutes ahead of my paceband and still feeling great. I’d been taking gels every 30 mins and water every 2nd station adding in zero tablets to some bottles. I just had a bottle in my hand at all times. I was powering on wondering if I was going to get tired and should I hold back but I knew I was now in the last 10km so I went for it. I was still having a ball and thanking people for funny signs etc. I then heard this almighty screaming. Leesider was in front me losing the plot with excitement videoing me! I ran towards her like a mad woman, huge hug, sent her phone flying and headed off panicking that the phone was smashed to pieces. The hills came and I slowed right down and took them really handy. I did a victory dance at the top of each and a little sprint and reined myself in again. I was passing loads of people out. I dropped my bottle on a hill somewhere and that was the only thing that went wrong. I just hoped there was a water station soon – there was. I got to the top of Heartbreak Hill and shouted ‘I did it’, another sprint and dance and then I saw the Radisson in front of me. OMG the excitement – so nearly there. Picked up the pace again. Onto the stillorgan dual carriageway. There was a guy lying flat on his back across the hard shoulder we were running on and barely room to get round him. Over the UCD bridge and heading for Nutley Lane. I hadn’t looked at my watch or paceband in ages. I knew I was getting faster and faster and I thought I just had a Park Run to go – a supporter shouted that just as I thought it. Flew down Nutley Lane and turned left for the last straight. My legs started to feel tired. I couldn’t give in here and sure your legs always get tired on a long run so I slowed for a small bit to save myself and then once I was through Ballsbridge I took off at 5km pace and went for it. Leesider appeared again and I heard her before I saw her. The phone was up videoing me so I thought thank God it’s not broken and gave a big wave and kept going. The crowds were incredible. Then there was a line of volunteers as I got into the final straight and I could see the finish line. I didn’t look left or right I just went for it. Passed everybody out and suddenly I was over the finish line in 4:20:05 having overtaken 1861 in the final 10km. I collected my medal and my fab top and burst into tears. I just followed the crowds taking it all in, collected my bag and headed out and off to McGrattans!!!

I overtook a total of 4219 people. I had a negative split of over 6 mins and my 2nd half is my fastest ever half marathon – handy as my next goal is a sub 2 hour HM.

Thanks so much to you all here. If it wasn’t for this group I would never have known about negative splits or to take the first 7 miles handy etc etc. I hope we all stay in touch – maybe some of you will do Cork next June?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Damo I'm looking at this picture confused as to why you have your medal on before you ran a marathon , how the hell can you look that fresh after running a marathon!
    I've the video on my phone I made at mile 20 , I should upload it I look like I've escaped from ISIS and spent 3 days walking day and night through a desert with no food or water.

Loving these reports guys , some of yous had an awesome day keep them coming.

Haha I wish I felt like that, my legs are still absolutely killing me today, especially my right hamstring.

Your dead right about the pacers, I asked one of the 4:00 was he a boardsie and he said he used to be but not too much anymore, didnt get to ask the other two but the girl who was pacing the 4:00 was unbelieveable, seriously. Every water station and lucozade station shed get extra and offer around, like u said knew the course like the back of her hand. Got to mile 20-23 (I cant remember) she came over and said "At the top of this little hill you can push on, your a strong runner and u dont need to stay with us, you have this in the bag seriously" I nodded and said thanks for the great job, off I went then. The pacers really do an amazing job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Haha I wish I felt like that, my legs are still absolutely killing me today, especially my right hamstring.

Your dead right about the pacers, I asked one of the 4:00 was he a boardsie and he said he used to be but not too much anymore, didnt get to ask the other two but the girl who was pacing the 4:00 was unbelieveable, seriously. Every water station and lucozade station shed get extra and offer around, like u said knew the course like the back of her hand. Got to mile 20-23 (I cant remember) she came over and said "At the top of this little hill you can push on, your a strong runner and u dont need to stay with us, you have this in the bag seriously" I nodded and said thanks for the great job, off I went then. The pacers really do an amazing job.

I have to agree Damo based on all reports. I didn't use a pacer but that's me, I'm a bit weird. Seriously though if I ever hear of a person thinking of trying a marathon for the first time my advice would be simple...follow boards novices thread, stick to the plan and utilise pacers. It would cut down on the number of ill prepared runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,282 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Seriously though if I ever hear of a person thinking of trying a marathon for the first time my advice would be simple...follow boards novices thread, stick to the plan and utilise pacers. It would cut down on the number of ill prepared runners.

For myself last year, I didn't go near a pacer and didn't want a bit of them. :)

It was a very personal thing for me, I did every inch of the training on my own and I wanted to do the run itself on my own. Discipline was a big part of it, I was going to run to my own plan and listen to my own body, I felt that if I started speeding up/slowing down according to somebody else's schedule that it just wouldn't work for me. I was proud of that discipline, that it came from within me and got me from start to finish, it wouldn't have felt the same to hang on to someone else's coattails.

I also didn't want any conversation or forced grins at any point, spending energy on social conventions just wasn't in the budget. I took great heart from the fantastic crowds but I could remain apart from them in a way I couldn't if I had to keep giving thumbs up to people who meant very well but weren't helping me.

I think pacers are awesome for doing what they do and its clear as day that they hugely benefit a hell of a lot of people, but I just wanted to note that they might not work for everybody and there is nothing wrong with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Dublin City Marathon 2017

Where to begin. Be warned, this may turn into a senseless rambling.

Background

I had two reasons for doing a marathon. I was never athletic. I was never a runner. Played a bit of football when I was younger but despite the hard work I was no Ciaran McDonald, so packed it in when I was 15. A bad relationship food, mixed with zero activity, a fondness of a pint of porter and tough college and subsequently a stressful job lead to massive weight gain. Three years ago after seeing a picture of me with Friends at Slane, I realised that I had become a bit of an embarrassment to myself. I was 18 stone and slowly killing myself. I started on a weight loss journey. What was first small part of this journey, has since turned out to be one of the things that I love most, running, jogging, slogging. I started the C25K plan in July 2014. I completed my first 5k race, the Dublin Night Run 5k in Citywest in September 2014. The buzz, elation and satisfaction from running has never left me since. Just over three years later, I can call myself a marathon runner. Mad eh!

The other reason was to dedicate the whole thing to my Grandad. A memorial of sorts. My father passed away when I was young and I have no memory of him. My mum moved home to live with her parents and my grandad raised me like his own son. He was the best father any man could ask for. He passed away before I began the weight loss/fitness journey and I wanted to tackle one of the peaks of athletic rendezvous to thank him.

Pre-race

Training had been tough but enjoyable. The boards sessions and long runs left me shattered and wrecked but stronger, more confident and determined with each week. I completed all the training runs and mileage on the plan. Being a wee bit cocky, I decided to up my original "A" goal from sub 4 to sub 3:55. However, I picked up a headcold on Friday and Saturday. Sunday morning, I was still feeling a bit stuffy and clogged up. The advice drilled into me by Wubble, AMK, Scott et al was not to be a slave to your goals. Going for a sub 3:55 from the gun felt reckless, so that morning before i left the house, I mentally revised to sub 4.

The dart journey in to pearse, my stomach was in knots. F**king hell. This is it. Geronimo baby, no turning back now. I went to meet the other lunatics boardsie novices outside the Shelbourne. Sillymoo was there already and we were soon joined by the rest of the gang. Thank god for this....my nerves evaporated. I may be stepping into the unknown but there was a real sense of comradeship as we walked down to the start.

Dropped the bag off, went for the obligatory toilet visit and met Lazare and Damo by the 4 Hour pacers. And we are buzzing. Buzzing. Adrenaline is pumping, a great selfie is taking by Damo, there is a bit of banter and discussion on race strategies and we all agree to "race our own races".....we line up at the start, the clock hits 20, the gun goes and we are off.

Miles 1-5

I spring from the start before coming to a shuddering halt a few seconds later at the corner for lesson street, I get around the corner and I am off again. The first mile goes by in a whirlwind. Don;t rush off all the mentors said. The noggin wasn't working for the first mile though as the nerves, excitement and taper madness boiled over in that first mile. Luckily enough I caught myself, gave myself a telling off and pulled back the pace. Coola buala. Remember, "it's not the distance, it's the pace that kills you". I settle back into my plan and find my rhythm. Plenty of people are overtaking me here as we continue down the quays and even more overtake me on the climb up stoneybatter. The 4 hour pacers are pulling away but it's grand. I can see them and will catch them in the second half of the course.

We pass the garda headquarters, and a deer is rampaging down the lane caught between the fence and a herd of marathon runners. Bloody hell, that would have made some DNF story. We continue up the Park and it's a bit meh. Pacers keep pulling away but it's fine.

Miles 5-10

I bump into Damo and we run together for these miles. Great lad and the chat and banter really helped these miles tick over. He then lands the bombshell that his ITB is playing up and his knee is hurting him. Damn. He picks up a band from his folks and some painkillers. He soldiers on and we chat about the temple street charity he is raising money for along with a bit of Mayo-Dublin slagging. I bump into Damo again a few times later but I have huge respect for him for completing that marathon with his injury coming up so early.

We start to go down hill now and so I push on a bit here and close the gap to the 4 hour pacers. Do a system check and I feeling good, strong, doesn't feel like I am overreaching yet.

Miles 10-15

This is where the grind begins. Not sure what it is. The sun, some of the climbs, the headcold but my head is starting to pound, I feel a bit tired. I take out my clear bag of drugs zero tabs and take on some water. The 4 hour pacers start the oige oige oige, oy, oy, oy chant under a bridge and it is bloody incredible. This helps lift my spirts. I also spot some mayo flag waving supporters, and give a "Hon Mayo, Hon Belmullet" and a fist pump for each one. Look, I can't help myself.

Feeling tired now and it's half way. Serious doubts swirling around my head. I concrete on the crowds. Bloody hell. How amazing are people. the banners, the shouts, the high 5ing kids, the old ladies singing the fields of athenry. Class. You hear all the talk about the crowds before hand but you have to experience it to really understand it. Every loud cheer, booming entertainment zone, gave me a boost. So too did all the runners around me, mad bunch that they were. Look how many people are raising money for all sorts of charities. Look at the runners pushing wheelchairs. There is a soldier carrying a massive backpack. He tells me it weighs 25kg. Christ. I literally saluted him and all these runners. This is humanity at our best.

Miles 15-20

I catch up with the 4 hour pacers and suddenly I am feeling strong again. I chat with the 4 hour pacers, I bump into Damo for a while again. Then I decide, bugger it, let's push on. I pull ahead for the next few miles and I run with two Cavan guys that are part of team carrie. Two sound lads. I push on again. I am feeling strong and now is the time when the sub 3:55 starts to re-enter my head. I'm cruising along now and I am starting to overtake people. Then I get a shout from my left and lo and behold Lazare is there. His conservative pacing strategy paying dividends. We are bombing along when we spot Leesider cheering us along. A few more Mayo flags get the now obligatory roar of approval from me before Lazare and I come to a non-verbal mutual agreement that it was ok for me to gamble and up the pace a bit.

Miles 20-22

The hills. It's like the scene from the start of "Saving Private Ryan". People are dropping like flies. Casualties on all sides. A lot of people stopped, some walking some slogging. I find a pitiless streak in me and I push on. F**k these hills. I have come too far now, for these sh*tty excuses for hills to stop me. I am starting to get a bit of emotional and "doing this for my grandad" is repeated over and over again in my head as I take one hurdle after another.

Heartbreak hill. Go f**k yourself.

Miles 23-25

I feel like a racing car now as I overtake crowds of people coming around UCD and onto the bypass. I am tired. I am hurting. But I got this. The sub-4 is there. the sub 3:55 may be there. Push, god damn it. My Mum and Granny were to be waiting a bit after the turn onto Merrion road. And there they are. Now it's raw. A high 5 as I run past to a roar of support from them. I won't lie, I am nearly in tears already.

I pass the RDS and now it is a real slog. Grimly holding on to my pace. My legs are on fire. My brain is shutting down. Only one thing matters now. The finish line.

Mile 26 and a bit

What's there to say. the longest and best mile of my life. Pain, agony, glory.

The crowds again are amazing and the finish line starts as a speck in the distance and crawls closer at a ridiculously slow speed before suddenly....I have crossed it. I cross the finish line. Of a marathon. Me. I just finished a marathon in 3 hours and 56 minutes.

And I am on the verge of tears. I am barely holding it at bay. Just wishing that my grandad was here so I could do him proud. It's a bit of a haze as I am lining up and I get a medal and a hug from a volunteer and the flood gates open. Damn. This is embarrassing but it's also glorious.

I am a sub-4 hour marathoner Grandad. Not bad eh.

Post race

I walk, hobble, crawl towards McGrattans. The place s buzzing. The lunatics boardsies are there and everyone is on top of the moon. Few pints are had. Selfies are taken. I take my leave far earlier than I want to but head home to celebrate with my folks and for some grub and bed.

I want to thank Wubble. A great bloke. A great mentor. Your advice and that of the other mentors helped me become a DCM 2017 graduate.

I also want to thank the rest of the novices. Some bunch of people. It's been great. We did good.

I'll be back.

For myself last year, I didn't go near a pacer and didn't want a bit of them. :)

It was a very personal thing for me, I did every inch of the training on my own and I wanted to do the run itself on my own. Discipline was a big part of it, I was going to run to my own plan and listen to my own body, I felt that if I started speeding up/slowing down according to somebody else's schedule that it just wouldn't work for me. I was proud of that discipline, that it came from within me and got me from start to finish, it wouldn't have felt the same to hang on to someone else's coattails.

I also didn't want any conversation or forced grins at any point, spending energy on social conventions just wasn't in the budget. I took great heart from the fantastic crowds but I could remain apart from them in a way I couldn't if I had to keep giving thumbs up to people who meant very well but weren't helping me.

I think pacers are awesome for doing what they do and its clear as day that they hugely benefit a hell of a lot of people, but I just wanted to note that they might not work for everybody and there is nothing wrong with that. :)

I think you might have noticed I didn't use them either, for pretty much all the same reasons. Lots of this years novices utilised them though. That does not mean that they all stuck on their shoulders. They used them as a reference point, dropped off them at times, passed them at times but it helped them. Me, I'll always be the man that runs alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Amazing race reports so far, fair play to all of you dedicated hardworking people, absolutely brilliant stories!

My own race was a massive achievement, but also a huge learning experience.

Had my t-shirt ready, bus times double-checked etc the night before, and although I went to bed at reasonable hour, couldn't get much sleep strangely enough and I was up around 5:30 am. Sneaked downstairs, got ready, had some granola, got dressed and left the house as quietly as possible. Parked at the bus station 2 kms away (herself to pick up the car later in the day) and after some anxious waiting around, got on the bus which was toasty warm so I fell asleep. Woke up at Custom House Quay, short walk to the start, too late for the novices meetup, so went straight to bag drop, ate a small banana, no queue for portaloos, and loads of volunteers giving clear directions - it was beautifully organised, couldn't fault a thing really!

I can't recall exactly when, but at some stage in last six months, I had switched myself over to Wave 3, hoping that would be 4h to 4h 30m wave, and that I could stay at the back of the 4h 30m balloons. However, it turned out that Wave 3 is 4h to 4h20, and I place myself at the tail end of 4h20m group, I knew I wasn't going to finish with them. We shuffled along to the start and I was already beaming ear to ear - a marathon. 18 months ago I struggled with C25k W1D1. Three years ago I couldn't walk across the road for the fear of my back popping / disc issues. Thought about the physio friend who put the fear of life in me by asking me to consider wheelchair in ten years time. The cheeky fecker, but thanks to him I was about to run a marathon. I was just so happy already right in that moment, I wasn't worried about anything else, not even the next 42.2kms.

We took off, and I was superbly comfortable - jogging along at a very comfortable pace, keeping 4h20m balloons couple of hundred meters ahead. Had a sip of water at the first water station, and as we entered Phoenix Park, I saw the stag running away from the us towards the left after causing some commotion up ahead. Running thru Chesterfield avenue felt smooth. No congestion, light blue 4:20 balloons are floating just ahead as always. Took a gel near the monument, purely because that one was tickling / scratching on my skin (I had tucked four of them into my shorts' waist band, not very sophisticated here I know). Saw the guy in full army gear and thought of my dad in India who served in army 28 years (he constantly advises me to not to run, and qualifies his advice because he had done one too many multi-day full-kit runs and it's not good for health when you are past 40 etc - typical over-protective Indian father there).

Castlenock was amazing. The noise, the energy, hi-fives, I loved it. Further up there was a guy in front of my with a t-shirt about criminal dictatorship in Venezuela, reminded me of a good ex-colleague who's father was shot and killed there.. made me think about how lucky I am to be here, and have the time and energy to train and attempt a marathon, where as around the world this could be a luxury. Also for some reason I started missing my daughters - 4 year old rang me while I was on the bus and said in a very serious tone "Daddy, you win okay?" :D Threw some water on my face further down from here and I could already feel and taste the salt, but I was still feeling fresh.

Back in the park, I was really surprised to see how close the 4:20 balloons are, and I made conscious effort to slow down. I recognized parts of the road from FD 10 mile, and then couple of turns later as we were exiting the Park, there was a lucozade stand, and I grabbed two half-cups and slowed down to a walk to drink them. As I was leaving the young lad there handed my a bottle of lucozade and I was thinking great, this will come handy. The moment I took it off him I was like whoa, this is big?! It must have been one of those litre bottles, and I completely lost focus there for a while. I wanted to hand it over to someone, and I knew someone would want it, but to whom? I can not run while holding something heavy in hand - never worked for me - and this was wrecking my head. So I left it on the side of the road for someone to pick up and marched on - and realised where the heck am I? Balloons are long gone, so are the crowds. I am going up a hill and it's hard. Tummy felt funny, need to throw up or something. I looked for a spot - and was it the gel?
    Lucozade? Sh1t. I ran up the hill, turned around, did I see the balloons disappearing? Not sure. Surely, it's not even half the way?!

I kept moving along in the 6m 10s-15s per km pace and there were more hills and I was feeling dull. I was going into that special 'detachment' mode where I just keep moving without seeing / hearing and more importantly 'caring'. Then I saw someone shouting and hollering my name - a good colleague of mine - that really cheered me up and kept me going for a while. Then I saw it's all slow uphill and more uphill, which was fine, but by the time I got to half-way, I knew this wasn't going great. Walked thru the half-way point with some water, and I could already feel my thighs were hurting, couple of toes on the right foot have gone numb already.

I don't know that part of Dublin that much, but unfortunately I had slipped back into that zone where I don't care. I kept moving when I could, walked when I need to. Could feel a cramp coming in the right calf, so I walked a bit more. Further up 4:30 balloons caught up with me, I didn't even try to stay with them. Walking wasn't great either - everything was sore, and walking was slow. Others were walking faster than me, which made me throw away the 4h20m pace band somewhere along the way. Took some jellies from a kind spectator, and couple of more further up the road from a little girl - dracula fangs - that cheered me up a bit and made me miss girls at the same time. Around Terrenure area, I walked a good bit I think, and then when I saw 4:40 balloons coming up, I woke up again and started running. Alternating between walking and running, I went over the hill around the bends following the crowd in a daze..

.. and finally around UCD I was back into more familiar territory of Dublin again. Running down towards N11, I remembered how my motorbike's chain fell apart along there (could have been a lethal accident but got luck) that left me stranded there for over an hour one Tuesday morning and while waiting for recovery how I saw a topless old dear in the house across the road etc :D By now support was thick and I noticed people were calling out my unusual foreign name which made me happier. Went up N11 flyover, around and over towards Merrion road as quickly as I can (not very), again amazing support all along the way. There were these three teenage lads standing at the side of the road roaring "You can do it, I know you can do it" looking runners one by one in the eye. Some lads they were, I am sure they will go places. Around here I became aware that my left nipple is hurting a lot - yeah, must be the cold air, should have tap'ed, but no far to go now.

Final couple of kms were just a case of keeping at it while enjoying the atmosphere. It was electric to say the least. Also I was now realizing that I am actually going to finish a marathon. Immediately right calf started cramping again, but it didn't get too bad. Kept chugging along, enjoying the wall of noise, feeling absolutely over the moon, crossed the finish line punching the air. Stopped the watch as an automatic reflex, didn't check the time or look at the clock, I was relieved, and happy and sugar.. I am nearly crying. Someone congratulates me and I am really going to cry now. Another guy 'are you alright' and I am like 'sh1t, can't cry'... Kind lady with the medal also makes the effort to read out my name - I was really going to cry then, and holding that back was almost as hard as the last 0.2k of the marathon.

Walked in absolutely agony to the baggage area, I have never been so happy yet so sore in my life, I really thought I was going to throw up. Picked up by bags, sat down on the steps and got into warmer clothes. I sat there 20 minutes collecting myself. Saw an ex-colleague, took photos for random strangers, someone took mine, and then walked next 40 minutes to Custom House Quay (1 km) to catch my bus home.

I am really sorry I didn't have it in my to make it to McGrattans. I really would have liked to see you novices, it's been a journey that I am extremely thrilled that I was part of. Thank you each and everyone of you for doing all the incredible things on this thread and outside, and to Wubble and Wubble's helpers for the amazing words of wisdom!

Okay, so I didn't do as well as I had hoped - but then again, I had hoped wrongly. My 4h30m target was purely imaginary, and I think my thought process for coming to it was as simple as "oh cr*p, half in 2h7m was hard, can't do twice that in 4h, so 4h30m it is". I hadn't taken in a lot of the good advice here - I have my excuses, but I will spare you the details.

So, I finished 4h 55m 27s. To me, this is massive. This is beyond the wildest dreams. My A goal was to finish. My B goal was 5hours. Both in the bag. My C goal was 4h30m, but as above that detached from reality. Yes, had I invested more time in training, more time doing LSRs, and had put in a bit more grit in the day itself, perhaps I could have made my C goal as well. Perhaps. Perhaps a DNF. Perhaps a DNS by overexerting myself during training. Perhaps perhaps. None of that matters. I am super thrilled and thank you all for it!

Holy cr*p, look at that wall of text!! Sorry!! To many more marathons in years to come!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Aawww Lads & Ladies - I'm nearly in tears here reading the reports for the last hour.

All superb performances.............just look back and read them from the perspective of a mentor - from where you've come, some people with zilch training, some with little structured running - to complete a Marathon!!!

Thank you for your kind words, but our role as contributors is easy - you have the hard job!

I'm laughing at those who missed a target by a few mins in their 1st marathon (....I missed mine by 25 mins in my 6th Marathon....different story though).

I'm incredibly proud of the pacers, having been one myself - the references to Mark & Jamie, the 4hr pacers (Olywn & Joe I think), and the 4:40 pacer - Anne - I know them all and will tell them of your words - they'll be delighted as they are all fabulous human beings too.

I loved every minute of this experience, I felt very invested in your training and your performance - but more importantly in your well being.
    Its a fine line to get a good performance and risk injury with getting a good performance and feeling good doing it.
    I think WW & his band of merry men (ladies inc) achieved this.

Well done all - I'm incredibly proud of each and every one of you.

You all have a story coming from this, that you'll tell over and over again - you never forget your 1st time ;)

with my utmost appreciation.

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thank you so much for all the imparted wisdom over the weeks and months AMK, a legend through and through...

Thanks Mam. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Why did I sign up to this gruesome distance??
    After doing a 5k relay race with work I was browsing boards one night and came across this forum, and then this thread. Creeped for ages and then looked at the plans. Thought it wasnt too bad as it was only 4 days a week (HHN1) and off I went with the first couple of runs. 3 years ago I posted on FB saying id love to do a half marathon or a full one, and would love to do it for Temple Street Kids Hospital, as when I was born I was very sick. I was in and out of there for a long time, and id love to give something back to them.

Took a while and a bit of reading to realise what EASY and LSR paces actually meant! As the runs got longer I got an injury. Went to a physio (purely because he was close) and he was crap. 4-5 weeks out from DCM and I went to a really really good physio, Aidan Woods. This man saved my marathon, FACT!

I knew coming into it that I hadnt got the best of training blocks under my belt, but itd be enough to get me over the line (the start at least!). I missed a couple key runs, even missed a full week at some stages. Towards the end It was really bad, the 20 miles turned into an abusive 17 miles, and from there it was downhill. The knee was constantly sore, the midweek runs were now torture and it was really getting to me. I knew id get there, but the competitive side of me always wanted a sub 4 and id be fairly annoyed at myself if I didnt get it. Thinking back, its absolutely ridiculous because we should consider ourselves lucky to be out there regardless, and the more people I encountered out on that course the more that it hit home.

The prep was done, the carbs were consumed, the fluids shoved down me, I just needed to wake up early (Lazare made sure of that! ;)) and show up, and it was game on.

Miles 1 - 3 (09:17, 8:50, 9:04)
    Me, Lazare and RolandDeschain were at the start together, three of us absolutely BUZZING. Got a sneaky selfie in that I dont think ill forget for a while, I would have loving to get one after to compare the looks on our faces! All agreed to go out there and run our own race, if we split up then so be it! First couple miles were handy, opened up a bit nicely on the downhill onto the quays.

Miles 4 - 6 (09:10, 09:03, 09:28) 10k Mark: 57:10
    Onto the north circular road and heading to the park, all feeling good. Got talking to a lad here that was sound, running under them trees was deadly especially with the sun. Into the park, left after Garda HQ and we witnessed a Stag on a rampage. Ran along side me on the grass verge on Spa Road and jumped over a kid on the side!! Quickly turned around and headed back the opposite way. Coming to the 4 mile marker the knee started at me, turned onto chesterfield and it was confirmed. Found myself ahead of pacers so had to pull back. The girlfriend and parents were just at 5 miles. Seen them with the dog so ran over and told them the knee was gone, they said no keep going your doing great, quick hug and off I went up the rest of chesterfield. Gel at mile 5.5

Miles 7 -9 (09:14, 08:41, 08:55)
    Coming out of Castleknock gate was absolutely insane, the cheers as soon as you leave are mental. Caught up with Roland here, and the two of us couldnt believe the atmosphere, he asked how I was and I told him the knee is gone. Off he went again, what a runner! Downhill after the left turn I popped two painkillers from my little drugs bag :pac: and a half zero tab! Off we go back into the park and I catch back up with him. "Take it easy, forget about your time and just think of how much of an accomplishment it is actually doing this!" Was similar to what he told me, I said "Exactly, we are lucky enough to be doing this, fook the knee!" As I passed a person in a wheelchair with his folks I said well done to the both of them, he put his hand out for a high 5 off me, the knee was the last thing on my mind now! Absolute warriors the three of them. Someone walloped off the bollards going out the gate! Ouch.

Miles 10 -12 (09:02, 08:59, 08:49)
    The rest of the route Ive never ran so wasnt sure what to expect. Over the bridge and the sharp left was more great support. Through couple tunnels singing oge oge oge with the 4hr pacers, ledgends. Gel at mile 11.

Miles 13 - 15 (08:59, 09:00, 09:05) HALFWAY: 01:59:21
    Painkillers definitely working last couple of miles holding the serious pain at bay, but its still really sore. Again, the support at Dolphins barn was unreal, not somewhere im familiar with so was just following everyone rather then remembering the route in my head. Halfway there!! Home stretch now, right??

Miles 16 - 18 (08:44, 08:55, 09:00)
    Gel here at mile 16. Just past the walkinstown roundabout (I Think??) More great support, the miles ticking away and im LOVING the music stations, as most know I love running with music so these were a real pick me up! Hamstrings were tightening up, really fecking badly,

Miles 19 - 21 (08:59, 09:08, 09:06) 30K Mark: 02:49:14
    Nice run down templeogue road with the cheering zone before turning right onto Orwell, close to where a family member lived that passed a couple weeks ago, really helped me through here I must say. Now both groins are tightening, no if I stop I wont start running again, must keep going. I run through a hamstring cramp with a bit of encouragement from a randomer.

Miles 22 - 24 (09:18, 08:52, 08:59)
    Woah woah woah, where did this hill come from. Took this real slow and just mustered on up, hamstrings SCREAMING at me to stop but I had to keep going. "Go on Damo!!" I heard, what?? I looked at a woman and she just had her fist in the air to keep going, then I remembered my name was on my number haha. That picked me up big time. Didnt like this part of the course really, other then telling myself its only one park run left. One lad said "Sure its only 5k to couch!" and the pacer said "Its 5k to a bar stool ya eejit!!" :pac:

Miles 25 - 26.2 (9:15, 09:02, 02:54)
    Longest two miles of my life, I couldnt believe how close we were but they were taking ages?? Legs are completely shot at this stage, hamstrings were gone, my left shin was in agony from really early on but now its agonising, groins were gone, I was a mess. That turn onto the final 800 meters was unreal, the crowds :eek: More music had me buzzing, got the crowds going by waving my hands up and down for more support. On that final stretch I had no more pain, it dissapeared. I put what little energy I had left into that last 100m, hands up in the air and over I went. I done it. 3:57:57!!l
    Rang the OH and she told me where they were. Got my medal, bag and top and went to meet them. Such a relief, im a marathon runner.

Post race
    18 weeks, missed runs, smashed runs, a couple of injurys, and over an incredible €1200 raised for Temple Street Childrens Hospital later, it was all done and dusted. I set a goal of raising €500, and done over double that. I couldnt believe how generous people were with the donations, and I think theyll be sick of me thanking them, but that meant a lot to me being able to help out such a great cause, that do amazing work to change kids lives like they did mine.

I didnt make McGrattans as a lot of my family came in to meet me at the finish and head for food, but I hope we might even be able to catch a pint after Jingle Bells, fingers crossed. Unreal experience, thanks to Wubble Wubble, AMK and the numerous other people on here that filled us with invaluable advice every single week, honestly I know for fact I wouldnt have done it without all them posts. It may not seem like much to yourselves, but yous help us out immensely.

Right so, whos signing up on Wednesday?? #DCM2018 :cool:

Fair fuc*in play to you - a great race. I’ve ran 5 marathons, and I’ve made a balls of all of them so I’m in awe of all of you who did so well yesterday.

The only downside for you is the above puts you down as a nominee for 2018 mentor 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lazare

Amirani wrote: »
    Marathon done and it feels great. Was quite emotional afterwards yesterday, more than I expected to be. Definitely the toughest thing I've ever done, those last 3 miles in particular were incredibly testing, unlike anything I've done before.

Not as awesome as some stories that people have shared; but coming from an obese BMI weighing 16 stone about 2 years ago, to completing a 3:52 Dublin Marathon yesterday at 11 stone is not something I could have imagined. Feel pretty good about myself.

Every one of you who took part yesterday, regardless of time of whether you finished, you should be proud of yourself. It's a great achievement that only a small portion of the population ever motivate themselves to do, so congrats!

Just catching up on the reports now, am loving it but had to stop to quote this.

That is awesome man.

Thank you for your kind words, but our role as contributors is easy - you have the hard job!

Alan

Alan your modesty is touching. At the same time I feel the need to fill you in. I can't speak for every poster on this thread but I think I can speak for a core group who posted here regularly and kept in touch off boards too. Many contributors helped us on this thread from experienced runners, other Boardsies, novices from previous years. All advice was brilliant and hugely appreciated. However a mentors skill is who he can get on board to help him/ her. In you WW had the ace in the pack. Your imprint was all over every training plan and more so over every race day plan. I know your day didn't go to plan but if it's any small consolation you got loads of us over the line. For this we will be forever grateful. I heard you were in McGrattans before all bar one of us got there but you left. Lucky for you because if each of us got you a pint to say thanks you'd still be there!

As for WW, what a man! Thrown in at the deep end, coming on daily to keep the show on the road, giving us advice and having the pressure of it being 'his' thread...what a stormer he played. And to stay having pints with myself and Lazare last evening after what he went through. Simply above the call of duty, simply lovely :pac:

So to finish off simply....Thank you both so so much...end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great performance, D. Lovely to meet you yesterday. Delighted that you had such a good day. Negative splits are hard to come by but if they are managed correctly like you seemed to have done, they are definitely the way to get the best out of yourself in the marathon IMHO. I am sure we will meet again but in the meantime feel free pay that pint forward to the next novice marathoner you come across in need of a well deserved reward for their effort ;) Cheers M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lazare

Got a decent nights sleep until my phone beeped at 5am with Lazare's wake up message to the whatsapp group ;)
    The prep was done, the carbs were consumed, the fluids shoved down me, I just needed to wake up early (Lazare made sure of that! ;)) and show up, and it was game on.

Hey you feckers, lol. I didn't post to the whattsapp group, I posted here.

Making me out to be the sleep wrecker :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I am getting a great kick out of reading all the reports.....keep them coming in.....these bring back great memories form DCM16.

Like AMK has said you guys had all the hard work to do and boy did you do it.

Your thanks are very much appreciated; for me I was just trying to pay back something for the great advice that I received on the Novice thread last year and I am sure that you will do the same for the Novice Group of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When they say blood sweat and tears, I now understand what they mean

432003.jpeg

I had about 30km of spectators cringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

AMK thank you so much. I listened to your advice about the first 7 miles in my head I was telling my self the pace will get you before the distance. You were so right about the crowds they pulled you foreward I forgot about any discomfort when you could hear roaring and singing people calling out to you in our case not our names but go Carlow lol which made me giggle as I am a Dub lol I just wanted to reach them and respond to them it was such fun. I just enjoyed every second of it. I'm just amazed I did not hit the wall not once did I feel I wanted to stop. Your advice and Wubble advice both of you in our heads got us round and we did it well.

I finished Sunday and I felt I could of ran more probably not much more though lol

But thank you again for all the help and support you are all supper legends sharing your wisdom and time with us

I'll be back next year to run it again

• Advertisement

Ouch some badge of honour lol you poor thing
    ted1 wrote: »

432003.jpeg

I am getting a great kick out of reading all the reports.....keep them coming in.....these bring back great memories form DCM16.

Like AMK has said you guys had all the hard work to do and boy did you do it.

Your thanks are very much appreciated; for me I was just trying to pay back something for the great advice that I received on the Novice thread last year and I am sure that you will do the same for the Novice Group of 2018.

I hope I can be as good as all of you, I think we got really lucky with all of you leading us
    Sound advice whenever we needed it and reassurance when runs did not go to plan

ted1 wrote: »

432003.jpeg

Ouch!!!

Lazare wrote: »
    Hey you feckers, lol. I didn't post to the whattsapp group, I posted here.

Making me out to be the sleep wrecker :pac:

Haha...yep. It was quickbeam.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Haha...yep. It was quickbeam.

Yep! :pac:

Went out for a walk today, first exercise since Sunday. It was really nice to be just able to put one foot in front of the other again. And it was a lovely crisp autumny morning too. Lovely. Bothered most at the moment by a right ankle but I think everything is on the mend. 3.13km @ 11:52 pace!

What's everyone going to do with all this free time now ? Normally get up and think is today a running day , took the bike out of the shed yesterday I'll be back commuting by bike , but think I'll try keep the running up ,really enjoyed it . I said after Sunday I'd never run another marathon again but that round number 2:59:59 is mighty tempting with another year of running maybe just maybe .....

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Great performance, D. Lovely to meet you yesterday. Delighted that you had such a good day. Negative splits are hard to come by but if they are managed correctly like you seemed to have done, they are definitely the way to get the best out of yourself in the marathon IMHO. I am sure we will meet again but in the meantime feel free pay that pint forward to the next novice marathoner you come across in need of a well deserved reward for their effort ;) Cheers M

Thanks Mark. Hopefully meet again in the future.

AMK, actually got intoduced to you in McGrattans by Mark but didn't realise it was you. Could have passed on my thanks in person

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Well done Novices, super race reports coming in, great reading indeed!

I was cheering you all on at the 16 Mile marker just before the KCR and I really enjoyed being a spectator this year, although there was a small voice in the back of my mind yelling 'you have to do this again, this is fantastic' :)

I noticed that a lot of people were dousing their faces with water, the heat appeared to taking it's toll on a quite a few people, did anyone else find the conditions a bit warm??

As expected there were quite a lot of overseas runners, Danish, American, Scottish, Italians in particular this year I noticed and all running with smiles and/or grimaces on their faces as the fantastic crowds cheered them on, no wonder Dublin is so popular.

Well done to everyone, whether you hit your time or not is not really important as your first DCM was always going to be tough, you are all MARATHON RUNNERS now........you will know what to expect for next year :eek:

Now where is that 2018 DCM website..............??

What's everyone going to do with all this free time now ? Normally get up and think is today a running day , took the bike out of the shed yesterday I'll be back commuting by bike , but think I'll try keep the running up ,really enjoyed it . I said after Sunday I'd never run another marathon again but that round number 2:59:59 is mighty tempting with another year of running maybe just maybe .....

I'm going to drop back to HMs now for a while. I want to keep up the running as I love the level of fitness I've gotten to. Not sure I'll do any more marathons. I knew I'd unfinished business after Cork as I was injured doing it and got nutrition wrong but while I could obviously get faster I don't know could I ever beat the other day as a whole.

• Advertisement

Oh and I've about 140kms to go to have 1500kms run this year so have to do that before the end of December too!

Advertisement