Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Wubble, my one regret of the whole shebang is that I dint get to meet you, it took everything I had just to get my own sorry ass over the line, never mind taking responsibility for anybody else. What you did was absolutely heroic, and I for one will never forget it, you are an absolute stonewall legend mate, and always will be!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

a quick update :D but fist off

Well done everyone :)

I am not long home But I had a great day my watch says 4.57 I think official time 5.07 But I stuck with my hubby and for once it was me who was flying LOL He was feeling the effects of his cycle up from Carlow to Dublin :eek: so we ran at his pace

But I could not be happier I smiled my whole way round I had a great day felt good when I finished except my foot was sore after I stepped on a bottle :eek: nearly ended my run !!!

I also cycled home with hubby, well not all the way from Kilcullen to Carlow and believe it or not my legs feel great after it!!!

I will do a full report tomorrow and add my self to the table I forgot to so sorry about that !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lazare

a148pro wrote: »
    Well done everyone! I watched the entire thing today, from the race leaders to lads walking the footpaths alone after Gardai had re-opened the road, shouted as much encouragement as I could and bought two convenience stores out of jaffa cakes and fig rolls. Incredible experience.

Ran it last year and realised then that the marathon isn't about you, its about others. Its about helping randomers and stopping and looking around you at ordinary people doing some pretty extraordinary things. Its about people, a lot of people, who've been through a lot in their lives and maybe some who haven't been through enough in their lives. Its about super fast people and super slow people. About the strong and the weak. But most of all I think its about giving, giving something to yourself that you probably deserved and neglected for a long time, and giving something to others.

So after the cramps and muscle aches have gone and the afterglow is beginning to dim and the medal is finally off your neck and hanging on the wall, hopefully you'll all take a bit of that spirit back into your own lives and get a chance to give something back. To your own commuities and your own people, or if you live in Dublin, to the marathon itself. That only happened today because a bunch of volunteers, literally thousands I suspect, gave up their time to marshall the route, block the roads, put up the signs etc..

So if you get a chance give a little back! Even if it just means paying more attention to people around you in your community.

And well done!

(sorry if that was a bit emotional but it was a bit emotional watching you all today!)

Last year I was spectating at Walkinstown to cheer on friends and I saw an old man of about 80 shuffling by. I then went to Fosters ave and again I saw the same old man, still going, still with the same grimace face and the same shuffling gait. He's one of the main reasons I'm part of this thread.

I passed him today at Kilmainham. I turned to him as I passed and he had the same grimace as I remembered.
    I said to him 'I saw you running last year and you inspired me to run this year'

He smiled wide.

Such a beautiful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Hi everyone il do a race report tomorrow and do the table at some stage whenever I get to a computer. Just wanted to say thank you to you all for you’re support and guidance, you are an amazing group and I’m proud to have completed a marathon with such amazing people

Was lovely to meet the few this morning pre race - I’m sorry I don’t remember names very well!

Quickbeem (F) thank you for getting me over the line and I’m sorry I showered you with tears at the end - your hug after we went over the line definitely game me the strength to get myself together and collect my bag!

Night all, I’m shattered but very proud, we should all be very proud be of ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Ive a helluva lot to say (all positive), but haven't the mental strength to get my thoughts in order. Well done everybody - what an achievement for all.

Amazing day, so well organised.

• Advertisement

Such a weird thing being absolutely fooked physically while simultaneously being absolutely elated mentally.

What a day guys, what a journey, what an absolute mind fook of positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Just wanted to add my thanks to you all again too. Unfortunately I didn't make any of the meet ups but when you are depending on lifts it's hard. My day went really well and I am stilff but happy tonight.

I said to my sister after that if it wasn't for this board I may not have made it today. She thought I was mad and just didn't get it but I truly believe it.
    Thanks again.
    Race report to follow ( when I have pc in work)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I don't want today to end..... I'm fighting exhaustion but don't want to go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Congrats to all the graduates. You are all superstars. Hope all the recovery is not too painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ariana` wrote: »
    I don't want today to end..... I'm fighting exhaustion but don't want to go to bed.
    I’m guessing you’ll have to tackle the stairs to get to bed.

I’m not going either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

ariana` wrote: »

You'll still be a marathon runner in the morning.

leesider77 wrote: »
    Congrats to all the graduates. You are all superstars. Hope all the recovery is not too painful.

Thanks for the cheer at Milltown G, those cheers really do give you a burst, I've heard it said, but it's true. Can't wait to cheer you home in your first of many twenty six point twos.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Lazare wrote: »
    Thanks for the cheer at Milltown G, those cheers really do give you a burst, I've heard it said, but it's true. Can't wait to cheer you home in your first of many twenty six point twos.

C. You are a true gent. I’ll hold you to that next year :-)

DCM 2017 Course Guide

Based on my own recollection of DCM 2016, and having covered all bar the first 200 metres or so of the course in the last two months, I've concocted a guide to this year. Grab yourself a cuppa!

Mile 1

The first mile of DCM is a very gentle introduction to the challenge ahead, with little or no elevation change to speak of. Regardless of what wave you're in, or what pacers you're following, it's going to be very congested, and the hardest thing you'll have to do in this mile is avoid tripping over yourself or another runner. There's a sharp right hander on to Leeson Street about 250 metres from the start, and *everybody* gets stuck here. You'll have covered a kilometre just before you cross the Green Luas line at the end of St Stephen's Green. There's a few more traffic islands beyond here, just to keep you from daydreaming too much.

Mile 2

Just after the lane that brings you to Marsh's Library, we turn right at the crossroads and head towards Christchurch, with St Patrick's Cathedral on our right. There's a steep enough hill as you approach Christchurch, but it's not too long and shouldn't really affect you as it's so early in the game. Left at the top, and about 200 metres further on, we go downhill to the quays. This is a lot steeper, so careful with the speed on the way down, especially as there's more traffic islands just as we join the Liffey. Nice and flat along the quays, before we turn right over James Joyce Bridge, and then the climb begins, as we cross the Red Luas line and reach the 2 Mile marker.

Mile 3

This is the opening stage of the long drag up to Castleknock. The sections through Stoneybatter and Manor Street are the steepest. Keep the effort even, and don't worry if pacers are getting ahead of you at this point. You've still got literally hours to reel them in, so patience is key. At Kavanagh's Corner, we swing left onto Aughrim Street, which is a lot narrower, and has cobbles as you enter it and ramps as you proceed up it. There was a water station at Kavanagh's Corner last year, which wasn't as specified in the course guide, and it caught a lot of people out, myself included - so just be ready for it this time. At the end of Aughrim Street, the course levels off somewhat, as we turn left onto North Circular Road and can see the Wellington Monument looming large in the distance.

Mile 4

Shortly before we enter the Phoenix Park for the first time, we go through the 3 Mile marker. Be aware that the actual road route is very narrow as you pass Garda HQ. If at all possible, resist the temptation to jump on and off paths. It'll be very sticky again, but overall not a bad thing if you're following a conservative strategy. Too much bobbing and weaving, and you'll use up a lot of energy which you'll need later on. The crowds will separate as time goes by. The road rises again as we head up the North Road, and then turn left with the azoo on our left. There's a little dip before we turn left at the end of the Polo Grounds, and the road drops a little as we head down Lord's Walk to the 4 Mile marker.

Mile 5

Turn right onto Chesterfield Avenue, and you can look ahead for quite a distance, as it's dead straight for about two miles from here. It can also be fairly windy. The first section of Chesterfield Avenue, between the zoo and the Phoenix Roundabout, is the longest and also the steepest. Again, don't get disheartened if pacers are pulling away from you here. Their pace will be consistent throughout, whereas you are hopefully going to have a strong second half to pass them later in the race. Go around the monument, and you've 5 miles in the bag and a water station to avail of.

Mile 6

Still climbing slowly, but it's not as steep as the first section, and you'll hopefully be into a nice rhythm by now, as the wider road should ensure you have a bit more space. Keep checking your breathing and your form - hopefully no issues yet. We reach the 6 Mile marker just before we leave the Park for the first time.

Mile 7

Castleknock Gate is very narrow, so you're going to have a lot of bunching again. Resist the temptation to charge through the gate - only more energy wasted. You'll cross the first timing mat at the 10k marker, which is shortly after you start the next climb towards Castleknock village. All the way from here to the village (roughly half a mile) the support is top class. Trust me, it will lift you as you get near the end of this tough section of the marathon. The road actually drops as you approach Myo's. There's a DJ on the corner, and the crowds gathered here are huge. Sharp left at Myo's, and uphill for another quarter of a mile. At the end of this, you reach the 7 Mile marker and the highest point on the course. Well done!

Mile 8

This is a very steep downhill mile, starting as you drop through the Castleknock College crossroads, and getting steeper as you continue towards Mount Sackville. Keep it handy on the downhill. It's so tempting to go mad, after climbing slowly uphill for most of the previous 5 miles. Remember, we're playing the long game here. Past Mount Sackville and left back into the Phoenix Park, where there's a short climb to the 8 Mile marker just inside Knockmaroon Gate.

Mile 9

There's a dip before we reach the crossroads and turn right. We now travel down the Upper Glen Road, which many of you will have run up in the Frank Duffy 10 Mile and various other races. This time we have the benefit of the downhill, and the opportunity to get another breather, as we emerge from the forest and the hill gets steeper.

Mile 10

Continuing on down the hill, we go through 15k just before we leave the Park at Chapelizod Gate, to a wall of sound turning into Chapelizod. Lots more supporters, a water station, and a DJ IIRC. Still mainly downhill through here, as we cross the Liffey and then turn left at the staggered crossroads. The road's a bit narrower here, but wide enough that you should be able to keep going in a straight line . There's some more ramps along here, and the road rises and falls for the next quarter of a mile.

Mile 11

This mile begins with the steepest hill on the course, which takes us up under the Chapelizod Bypass and up to Ballyfermot. Try not to race up it. Again, try keep your effort even, shorten your stride and get your arms working to get you up there. You'll feel some pain, but you'll also get some satisfaction once you reach the top. It's fairly even through Ballyfermot, slightly downhill overall if anything. After about half a mile, we leave Ballyfermot, as our course takes us through the dip under the railway line and then up the hill to Cleary's pub in Inchicore.

Mile 12

Last year we got funnelled down one side of Inchicore Road as we passed the traffic island. I wasn't expecting it to be honest, and it scrunched us up again. Inchicore Road is slightly downhill, and there's lots more supporters as you pass Kilmainham Gaol and turn right at the Royal Hospital. There's a steep dip here, and the climb back up towards the left turn for the South Circular Road isn't long, but is tough enough. The SCR itself is slightly downhill, and you'll get to the 12 Mile marker just before the entrance to St James's Hospital.

Mile 13/Halfway

Slight rise as we turn right and over the Luas bridge, before dropping downhill into Rialto. The territory here isn't too demanding, and you should be in good shape as we continue along SCR heading towards Dolphin's Barn. There's more huge crowds gathered around the right turn at Dolphin's Barn, where you head up and over the Grand Canal and then drop onto Crumlin Road. Keep concentrating and making sure all systems are still functioning ok. We're on another long slow climb now, but there's another water station after you pass Crumlin Shopping Centre and go under the halfway line gantry.

Mile 14

It's dead straight all the way from here to Our Lady's Hospital. In addition, the wind is usually against us. Try not to get too focused on this, instead concentrate on what you're doing. Just keep an eye a yard or two ahead, there'll undoubtedly be a guy or girl to follow. Still climbing gradually, as we pass the hospital and reach the 14 Mile marker at the start of Drimnagh.

Mile 15

This is basically a continuation of 14 to begin with, however we turn left at the Halfway House (23k) and head towards Walkinstown Roundabout. Stay in the game through here, because although we're still climbing, respite is near at hand for you. The crowds around the roundabout are great, and there's more music which will hopefully give you another boost as the road drops a little along Cromwellsfort Road, where the 15 Mile marker is about 300 metres from the roundabout.

Mile 16

This is the first of several gradually downhill miles, to set us up for the closing stages. Past the Ashleaf Shopping Centre just before 25k, and on towards the 16 mile mark just before KCR, where there's water and gels available.

Mile 17

Right at KCR, and then a left onto Fortfield Road. Those of you who have run the Terenure 5 Mile will be familiar with this section. It's very quiet in terms of support, until you pass the side of Terenure College and reach the 17 Mile mark just before you reach Templeogue Road.

Mile 18

Lovely straight smooth downhill on the relatively wide expanse of Templeogue Road, with Terenure village up ahead. For some reason, I particularly remember being given jellies along here last year. I'm sure I got offered them elsewhere too. Either way, head up, relax the shoulders and breathe. Continue through the Terenure crossroads onto Terenure Road East, where we pass through the 18 Mile marker.

Mile 19

Right turn onto Orwell Road in Rathgar, where there's more downhill for us, before taking a left into flat Orwell Park. The 30k mark is at the start of Orwell Park, whereas the 19 Mile marker will be at the end of it. We're getting near crunch time now, but try not to be nervous. You've done the training, this is where you put it into practice.

Mile 20

We start with a steep drop downhill and swinging left, where we see the Dropping Well pub on the right. Last year there was excellent support around the Luas bridge. After going under this, we climb briefly, before the road levels off until we reach the church on the left. The climb from the church, again, isn't that long, but you may have to start digging into the reserves through here. The rest of this mile is flat, and you'll have completed 20 miles of the marathon before you reach the crossroads, and hopefully you're still feeling strong and ready for the next test.

Mile 21

For me, this was the hardest mile of DCM 2016. I'd been struggling with injury in the build up anyway, but the up and down (mainly up) nature of the run through Clonskeagh finished off any lingering hopes of me reaching my A goal on the day. No long climbs as such in this mile, but you'll need to be switched on and prepared to dig in.

Mile 22

Roughly around the entrance to the Leinster Rugby training centre, we start Mile 22 and come to a fork in the road. Here we veer left onto Roebuck Road, and then keep left to stay on Roebuck Road (as opposed to continuing onto Goatstown Road) Most of this section is fine really, even at this advanced stage of the marathon. Overall it's a small bit of respite, as we approach the so-called "Heartbreak Hill" of DCM. At the end of this mile, there's a Lucozade station, so keep getting fluids on board.

Mile 23

"Heartbreak Hill" comes at the start of Mile 23, as we approach the end of Roebuck Road. In reality, it's not very long, or particularly steep, especially when compared to some of the other hills you've conquered. So as before, concentrate, work the arms, head up, and you'll be over the top in no time. Big crowds will be gathered at the top of the hill, willing you on to get up there and pass them. And that's it as far as hills are concerned. Now you're heading left onto Fosters Avenue, and a steep downhill as you can see the Radisson St Helens on the other side of the Stillorgan dualler. If you have the pacers within range, now is surely the time for you to muster that little bit extra.

Mile 24

Just after the 23 Mile mark, we start "up" the slip road to the UCD flyover. It's not really a hill at all. The main road drops as it goes under the flyover! Sure there's only a parkrun to go. The section from the far side of the dualler, to the right turn onto Nutley Lane, is actually steeper. Nutley Lane itself is mainly downhill, with the 24 Mile mark around the Merrion Centre. Make sure you grab some water before the turn for home.

Mile 25

Now we're really on the way back in. There's not long left now, so stay strong because the end is worth the effort. We're in Monopoly big money territory now, as we pass both Shrewsbury Road and Ailesbury Road, before we reach the RDS Main Hall and the 25 Mile marker. So close now, stay with it!

Mile 26(.2)

Cross over Ball's Bridge, and slight right to reach the American Embassy at 41k. From here, the crowds really start to build along Northumberland Road. This will give you that little bit extra you need to reach your goal. If you have any strength left now, time to empty the tank. You've trained for months to be in shape to give it your best today. Crossing Mount Street bridge, you'll see the finish line in the distance. Don't stop me now! If you've paced it well, you'll have been passing people for ages too. Keep going, all the way through and up to the line. Look up at the clock. Arms in the air, if you can!

CONGRATULATIONS! You are now a DCM Graduate!!!

This is an even better read, now that you've ran it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Lazare wrote: »
    This is an even better read, now that you've ran it.

How are u still awake? Zzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Unfortunately it all went 'pear shaped' and despite having reached half-way in 1'46, I retired at mile 20 in a lot of pain. That's my first d.n.f. in a race of any form. I'm finished with marathons. Well done to others here, I hope you all enjoyed your 'moment' and I must say that the Dublin crowd were great :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

You are all so inspiring, I was at my first dcm yesterday as a spectator as my wife was running her first marathon, unfortunately due to injury I will never have the experience. To see so many people yesterday help and encourage complete strangers and to see the crowd get behind those taking part was something special.
    Well done to everyone in this thread and thanks even though my wife isn’t on boards I was constantly feeding her advice and tips from this thread and her in turn was passing that onto her group that ran it..
    Now any advice on how to get her down the stairs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I just had a flash back of the stag running through the group by Garda HQ, did anyone else see it?
    Nearly took a few runners out of it with its antlers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

harr wrote: »
    You are all so inspiring, I was at my first dcm yesterday as a spectator as my wife was running her first marathon, unfortunately due to injury I will never have the experience. To see so many people yesterday help and encourage complete strangers and to see the crowd get behind those taking part was something special.
    Well done to everyone in this thread and thanks even though my wife isn’t on boards I was constantly feeding her advice and tips from this thread and her in turn was passing that onto her group that ran it..
    Now any advice on how to get her down the stairs :)

Sit on ones arse and bump all the way down. Brings you back to your childhood :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

ted1 wrote: »
    I just had a flash back of the stag running through the group by Garda HQ, did anyone else see it?
    Nearly took a few runners out of it with its antlers

Ya I was running past it with Damo when it was rampaging through. I thought this will be an interesting DNF story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Amazing day!! Thanks to everyone for their fantastic advice and support on this thread, it has been brilliant to be part of it. Well done to everyone yesterday.

I didn't make any of the meet ups unfortunately, a good few family members were supporting me along the route so met up with them after.

I got in under the 5 hours so am delighted. I got into bother around mile 10 as the sun really affected me but picked myself up and got going again. Those last 4 miles were torture. Holy god, it took every ounce of me to keep going.

The supporters were unbelievable, I don't think I've ever witnessed anything like it. Thank you to all, ye were amazing!!

My stomach is in bits still and am barely able to walk but Im on such a high, we are marathon runners!!!!!

Race report to follow when I gather my thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Crazy day, was in bits after it couldn't really walk properly and all the family came in to meet me after so headed off for food with them. Sorry I didn't make mcgrattans. I don't think I'll ever forget the last 800 meters, coming on to the straight the crowds were amazing, the pain dissappeared and I even got them to cheer a bit more I was BUZZING, I'll never forget it.

This thread got me to where I am today and I can't thank yous all enough for that. Race report to follow later on when I figure out if I can walk or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Unfortunately it all went 'pear shaped' and despite having reached half-way in 1'46, I retired at mile 20 in a lot of pain. That's my first d.n.f. in a race of any form. I'm finished with marathons. Well done to others here, I hope you all enjoyed your 'moment' and I must say that the Dublin crowd were great :).

Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan. Yes I enjoyed my 'moment' alright. It was a 4 month long moment, a roller coaster shared with a magnificent group of novices all enjoying it similarly. The camaraderie, friendship, selflessness and graciousness of a small group of runners and mentors was humbling to behold....people who could not do enough for others who lauded their achievements and helped them through dark moments. This thread has shown me how many good people are out there, how many don't just put themselves first. Novices 2017, I salute you. If only all moments were like this :)

One regret from the day....a mention for AMK and WW, 2 men who gave so much to this thread and to all it's participants, whose days didn't go according to plan. They know better than most that there will be other days, better days. You lads will get those PBs you're after if there's a God up there. I'll be keeping my eyes on Strava to see it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Congrats one and all! If anyone else is spending today mostly with their feet up, may I suggest this for some viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwpGPV1xC_U&app=desktop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Get this report done while its still fresh because I plan on copious amounts of alcohol tonight or tomorrow.
    tl;dr not great reading I wasn't well but got it done

In hindsight its a marathon I probably shouldn't have run , I don't think and hope I haven't done too much damage to my body. The night before without too much TMI lets just say I was totally emptied going to bed, not sure if it was antibiotics or nerves but had small bouts of vertigo put one foot on the floor and went asleep. Woke up and it wasn't as bad but bending down to put my runners on it happened again. Had a coffee and a bagel and got into my job for 7.45 (I work on merrion square) so sat down there in work on my own and had a cup of tea , I was up and down to the toilet every few minutes I was well emptied but stomach was cramping , again I wasn't nervous but I text a mate he said "it's just nerves I get it before big races". Had a cup of water and left the job at 8:45 around and in behind the 3.20 pacers ( I was freezing at this stage and not feeling well at all).

Mile 1-5 (7.57,7.24,7.39,7.28,7.34)

As soon as we started the pacers just seemed to get away , at the first turn I was sent left the long way around traffic island and when I looked up the pacers where already 200m's ahead. I was getting frustrated tried to run fast but the legs just couldn't do a fast km , this was not a good sign this early. I had a sharp pain under my rib cage and my leg felt dead from above the knee crampy and sore. I didn't have a heart rate monitor but felt my chest and I knew I was working way too hard at this stage. Got onto the quays and was going to pull out , at around this stage my watch beeped it was a notification I can read texts on my watch the family whatsapp group and my brother texting saying Eoin's doing great I am tracking him we are waiting for him at the park. It was the last thing I wanted to read at that stage. Didn't want to let him down with his kids there so decided to go meet him at very least. At mile 5 took my first gel was dreading this , took a mouthful and it came straight back up (sorry tmi!) I really needed some energy so opened another held my nose let out a little yell and it stayed down.

Mile 6-10 (7.34,7.31,7.17,7.25,7.35)

Went through 10k in 47.32 about 200m behind the pacers still and met my brother and his kids here at exit of park , quick words exchanged I said "I'm dying out here " he said go on do it don't pull out you'll regret it and your kids are waiting for you at finish line.
    The support here was unreal and for I really enjoyed it I was overcome by support it wasn't like anything I imagined , I tried to take it in and high 5'd a few kids , I had studied the course and I remember thinking after mile 8 its fast try not get carried away , I took advantage of the downhills and caught the pacers here , really needed a pee as we got back in the park but if I stopped there was no way I was going to catch up with 3.20 pacers again so held it in. Second gel at mile 10 and it took nearly a mile to get the gel in. Lots more messges on my watch , my brother texting we just met him hes flying , hes doing great , well done you have this , so proud..... these where half annoying me but half making me think I can't stop now.

Mile 11-15 (7.37,7.35,7.32,7.37,7.40)

I don't remember much about these miles just constant pain , I was stuck right behind one of the pacers (Jamie I think ) he was a legend shouting come on Crumlin , Castleknock was louder and really got the crowd going and it did help. I think we where a bit behind time coming up to half way Jamie was looking at his arm I looked at my own wristband and when I looked up Jamie had pulled 30m ahead of me , them little pushes really hurt , came through half way in 1.39.43.
    Mile 14 and 15 was a real battle to stay with pacers they seemed to speed up , I looked at my watch and wondered how 4.40 per km hurt so bad when in the half marathon a month earlier I was cruising at 4.15 pace.
    Another gel at mile 15

Mile 16-20 (7.26,7.27,7.26,7.29,7.36)

My running form was awful the compensation I had been making for my left leg been sore started to effect my hips and lower back , my calves got really heavy somewhere along here also . There was certainly some easier sections around here and some respite , as I took my phone out and sent a video message to the whatsapp group at mile 20 saying I'm hanging on just and hoping to be in beside the big blue balloons for anyone waiting. Another gel at mile 20 which I had to just about stayed down.

Mile 21-26.2 (7.44,7.50,7.35,7.31,7.43,7.45,7.40)

Lots of people stopping or stopped on the road about now , I said to one of the pacers I'm not going to make it and he said you are keep going , I was just mentally broke , sat in behind Jamie again he warned us to get ready for a hill drive the arms etc. I was getting annoyed at everyone now spectators in my way or banging elbows with people. As we went up my the bypass over the road more encouragement from the pacers , just a parkrun to go ......... I started to visualise Malahide parkrun , I was thinking 1km is nothing its just down around by the pitch and putt course in Malahide how has my watch not beeped for another km yet, these miles brought me to a place that I never want to go again. I don't think I've ever been so close to God. 800m's to go sign ... It's 2 laps of the track someones winding me up this isin't 800's I can't keep going like this , my heart was starting to hurt I was getting annoyed at how far away the finish line was it should have been opposite the hospital in my mind. Went over the finish line hit the watch 3.19.28 , thanked the pacers , wow what a day.

1st half 1.39.43
    2nd half 1.39.45

Afterwards

I was in a really bad way teary eyed and hugging the barriers couldn't answer my phone , went around to the job and swiped myself into the building , I was the only one in the building and seriously worried about collapsing or worse. My parents where in town and rang me I asked them to come to the job and help me out. I spent the next hour or so been sick . A few can's of coke later I start coming around . Still limping about today everywhere aching but no injuries thanks god.

The support today was exceptional , I never imagined anything like it . The pacers are legends and without them I was running somewhere north of 4 hours , the support of everyone on this thread has been amazing , at times when I was really struggling I did think of all the work WW , AMK , Scott and many others had put in to this thread and the least I could do was finish , don't know if i'll ever run another marathon again but I'll definitely be there next year supporting and giving a little back.
    Looking forward to reading the race reports , hoping they read a bit better than mine would love to write I did the whole thing with a smile on my face high fived everyone and took the day in but thats not the way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well done all, what a fantastic achievement! , unfortunately I wasnt able to make it this year due to injury, dead jealous of you all now.
    clickerquicklic thats a great read!, fair play for sticking it out, nice even running too though it looks like there was nothing nice about it :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Well done everyone - for your 1st Marathon - be proud - whatever the time.
    You completed a marathon - that's the goal of the novice group.

Thank you so much for all the imparted wisdom over the weeks and months AMK, a legend through and through...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭deisedude

My first marathon and boy was that a learning experience. On the back of a few good half marathons and 15 mile race I had it in my head I could get close to the 3:30 whereas when I started my training I was looking for under 3:45. At the half way mark I realised I had made a big mistake and was never going to maintain the 8 minute mile pace and seriously struggled in the second half running closer to 10 minute miles. At this stage it was survival mode and get over the finish line was the only objective.

Nearly there with .2 of a mile to go and the finish line in sight my legs buckled and only for 2 absolute gentlemen sacrificing their own times to help me I wouldnt have got over the line for 3:46:30.

Unfortunately I didn't get those 2 gents names because i was fairly out of it but in case they are reading this a sincere thank you for your kindness. (I was the guy in the orange singlet)

Following the race spent 2 hours in the medical tent for overheating but all good now. I'm still proud to finish a marathon, just wish I had respected the distance and been more conservative with my pacing and less focused on time for my first one and I would have enjoyed the expeience a lot more

Well done to all who took part, volunteered and supported yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

It was touching how many random strangers offered me coats, sweets, drinks,and simply if I was ok when they saw my 'predicament'.... Yes a great 'community' :) So many sports can be a bit 'tribal' but in running, everyone cheers for everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭peterc14

peterc14 wrote: »

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream would be sub 3.30...more realistic is probably sub 4.00

Wow...what a day yesterday!
    The above quote was 5 months 1 week ago...I am delighted to say I finished in 3.26.xx
    The support yesterday was fantastic and that combined with the perfect weather made for a fantastic day. Enjoyed every minute of it and would recommend the DCM to anyone considering running a marathon.

Advertisement