Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    I swear we nearly fell out over who was at fault (and it was definetly me). No point giving out if I can't accept my own faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

I’m always wary of trucks - give them a wide berth - and yet I let this happen to me. I should have anticipated their move sooner instead of having to abandon to the path at the last moment. Their indicator is obvious to see. I always think I can learn more anticipation skills etc. from watching videos - so here’s my mistake from this morning:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

coward wrote: »
    I’m always wary of trucks - give them a wide berth - and yet I let this happen to me. I should have anticipated their move sooner instead of having to abandon to the path at the last moment. Their indicator is obvious to see. I always think I can learn more anticipation skills etc. from watching videos - so here’s my mistake from this morning:

There's a lot of construction vehicles around the city now the "de doom" is back. I work in the industry and I can guarantee you that a lot of these don't give a jot about other road users, in particular cyclists. I'd treat them with extreme caution.

Had a close pass from a Windows van this morning in Castleknock, to get to a red light, followed by aggressive tailgating by him to try and get past me though the castleknock gates when the lights went red - he'd planted himself in the advance bike box. Held my line center of the road, but he would have happily squeezed by me at the gates. Further down the quays builders truck full of pipes in the bus lane - 2 wheels in the cycle lane. Squeezed the corner at Capel Street - anyone there was toast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    close pass from a Windows van
    at least if it crashed, you'd probably just need to reboot it.

at least if it crashed, you'd probably just need to reboot it.

Tomorrow for balance it'll be an IOS van

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I nearly have my linux van built. Just waiting for a driver upgrade...

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Is that not terrible driving from the truck too? He swings into the cycle lane when crossing from the other side of the road. He could easily have knocked you down there. He needs to be 100% sure the lane is clear if he's going to swing into it. The fact that he turns left without hesitation very shortly afterwards suggests he never saw you at any time during those manoeuvres.

Obviously, you should still not have gone up the inside.

coward wrote: »

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is that not terrible driving from the truck too? He swings into the cycle lane when crossing from the other side of the road. He could easily have knocked you down there. He needs to be 100% sure the lane is clear if he's going to swing into it. The fact that he turns left without hesitation very shortly afterwards suggests he never saw you at any time during those manoeuvres.

Obviously, you should still not have gone up the inside.

Yes, it was terrible driving. Driver should have checked his left mirror before turning left anyway, and the cyclist isn't in a blindspot as far as I can tell. But as the cyclist said themselves, they should have slowed and let the truck on its way.

Has anyone had any issues with motorbikes close passing? There's this one chap, who I think has it out for me. There's a hill near the start of my commute which is poorly surfaced on the edges on both sides. I take a relatively central position in the lane on the way down. It's a wide, quiet road with little on-coming traffic. But routinely this f*cker passes me super close. He had a go at me months back for taking the lane, I tried my best to explain my reasoning at the time but clearly he doesn't give crap. I might put a compilation together of his antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yes, it was terrible driving. Driver should have checked his left mirror before turning left anyway, and the cyclist isn't in a blindspot as far as I can tell. But as the cyclist said themselves, they should have slowed and let the truck on its way.

Has anyone had any issues with motorbikes close passing? There's this one chap, who I think has it out for me. There's a hill near the start of my commute which is poorly surfaced on the edges on both sides. I take a relatively central position in the lane on the way down. It's a wide, quiet road with little on-coming traffic. But routinely this f*cker passes me super close. He had a go at me months back for taking the lane, I tried my best to explain my reasoning at the time but clearly he doesn't give crap. I might put a compilation together of his antics.

Yeah I've had another thicko close passing me 2 times on the way to work ( and I was in the cycle lane ). Caught him at the lights and told him he was on camera ( he wasn't ), to which he inquired "WHAT THE FUUUU ARE YOU SH1TING ABOUT??!!!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I've got an issue with motorbikes driving in this cycle lane along Kevin street, and then on up towards Stephens green in order to filter up the inside of traffic

Find it frustrating when they get to a point that they cannot pass a car or vehicle and end up clocking up the cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VW 1 wrote: »
    I've got an issue with motorbikes driving in this cycle lane along Kevin street, and then on up towards Stephens green in order to filter up the inside of traffic

Find it frustrating when they get to a point that they cannot pass a car or vehicle and end up clocking up the cycle lane.

Frequently full of vans too.

Become a nuisance at the garda station there and they might start acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I was running to work this morning, garda van pulled out of a gateway at the station but were unable to filter straight away into traffic. They sat there blocking both the bike lane and the path until they could move into the driving lane.

They are as bad as other road users in my experience.

VW 1 wrote: »
    I was running to work this morning, garda van pulled out of a gateway at the station but were unable to filter straight away into traffic. They sat there blocking both the bike lane and the path until they could move into the driving lane.

They are as bad as other road users in my experience.

It's amazing (and infuriating) how many motorists don't give a second thought to blocking paths, cycle tracks, cycle junctions (particularly at the bridges along the Grand Canal, with large numbers of cyclists crossing ) and pedestrian crossings. It's like everyone else are second class citizens to some.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's the 'where else am i supposed to park?' mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

ED E wrote: »
    Become a nuisance at the garda station there and they might start acting.
    Love/Hate is finished. Red Rock is still going.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Had a lovely one this morning. Portmarnock to Baldoyle road, I was taking the lane around a blind bend and this fool decides to chance an overtake. And of course a car comes around the bend from the other direction causing the fool to jam on and return in behind me. Queue me F'ing and shouting (in hindsight probably not the best reaction). They overtake successfully and jam on to have a chat. It ended up being more of a chat than an argument, although they were completely blocking the narrow road. Of course I was to blame for their foolish overtake, I told them what I thought of that and took off. Some people should not be on the road. This was one of them. :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Love/Hate is finished. Red Rock is still going.

Regrettably that took me a minute before I realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Had a lovely one this morning. Portmarnock to Baldoyle road.... :mad:

It wasn't a white beamer by any chance? I had a dumb one on the long straight through Portmarnock just after the golf links - beamer goes flying past me - well over the 50km limit, in my estimate) and then jams on to avoid speed bumps and slow moving traffic ahead. He (she?) didn't come that close but the speed was a concern

It wasn't a white beamer by any chance? I had a dumb one on the long straight through Portmarnock just after the golf links - beamer goes flying past me - well over the 50km limit, in my estimate) and then jams on to avoid speed bumps and slow moving traffic ahead. He (she?) didn't come that close but the speed was a concern

Not the same one, they were driving an old green 99ish Toyota Starlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Not the same one, they were driving an old green 99ish Toyota Starlet.

Glad you're ok in any event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Stopped at the top of Jones' Road this evening waiting to turn onto the North Circular. A mini peloton of professional looking commuters turned off the North Circular and came down Jones' Road. Before I could reflect on what a nice sight this was, a more important motorist travelling behind them cut the corner at speed so as to avoid the peloton, coming frighteningly close to myself in the process. Lovely. Car beside me turning left offered sympathy after I let a shout. I might have turned and followed frantically but for I was on a Dublin Bike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Got passed within inches this evening by a taxi in a bus lane at Harold’s cross outbound, only for him to get stuck in a line of traffic about 3 car lengths ahead. I passed on by him and then moved out to take the lane where the road splits at the park, I’m taking the left towards terenure. I usually do this here as there’s parked cars on the left, and it’s only for about 30ft where there’s a Traffic island on the right. Guess I didn’t take the lane enough as he squeezed through anyway even with my constant hand signal, this time he’s closer than last time.

I gestured too close without being aggro, and he starts pointing at me and tapping his head, with a want for a better description, it was the “you’re mental” gesture you’d do when you were 8.

Anyway, I’m a bit more zen on the bike recently so I continued along, but it got me thinking. I was well within the rules of the road (to my knowledge), signalled in good time, was doing a decent pace, ~30-35kmh, so not really much of an obstruction to this guy. But from his reaction, he’s probably on a taxi forum now, telling the same story from his perspective. I could tell by this guys attitude he was convinced he was acting perfectly fine, just as much as I’m convinced of the same. Now either of us could be wrong, I wasn’t in the humour for a chat because they never work, especially in this case.

So how does this ever get fixed?

Danbo! wrote: »
    Got passed within inches this evening by a taxi in a bus lane at Harold’s cross outbound, only for him to get stuck in a line of traffic about 3 car lengths ahead. I passed on by him and then moved out to take the lane where the road splits at the park, I’m taking the left towards terenure. I usually do this here as there’s parked cars on the left, and it’s only for about 30ft where there’s a Traffic island on the right. Guess I didn’t take the lane enough as he squeezed through anyway even with my constant hand signal, this time he’s closer than last time.

I gestured too close without being aggro, and he starts pointing at me and tapping his head, with a want for a better description, it was the “you’re mental” gesture you’d do when you were 8.

Anyway, I’m a bit more zen on the bike recently so I continued along, but it got me thinking. I was well within the rules of the road (to my knowledge), signalled in good time, was doing a decent pace, ~30-35kmh, so not really much of an obstruction to this guy. But from his reaction, he’s probably on a taxi forum now, telling the same story from his perspective. I could tell by this guys attitude he was convinced he was acting perfectly fine, just as much as I’m convinced of the same. Now either of us could be wrong, I wasn’t in the humour for a chat because they never work, especially in this case.

If they were legitimately close passes, then enforcement? Apparently there are dedicated operations in London to combat such illegal behaviour from motorists. Probably too late for education given the reaction of the motorist. But education might stop similar attitudes being spawned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On the road this evening, quiet on a wide stretch. 30 cars had passed me between one roundabout and the next without incident, everyone was lovely Then blithering idiot not only goes for an overtake 1.5m shy of the roundabout, BI cuts me off completely. I let a shout but there isn't even the customary swerve back out to acknowledge that they didn't realise they were an idiot. On an hour long spin, I imagine close to 200 cars passed me (probably alot more) without incident and without delay, never putting me in danger and me never obstructing them. How is it that one person can be so ****ing self absorbed they do not recognise other moving objects on the road.

Sadly or maybe thankfully I was too down in the dumps to bother asking them.

It is sad that they are the person I remember rather than the people who waited that extra 3 seconds to make sure the overtake was good. They all caught the following car, so lost no time but it was damn well appreciated.

^Statistically, that is not bad going at all.

Danbo! wrote: »

Some actual enforcement by Gardai would be great, as has been done by several forces in the UK. But in the mean time, if every cyclist that he tries to close pass starts knocking on his left side windows, he will start to get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Witnessed this about 30 minutes ago.

I was travelling on the Enniskerry road towards Kilternan. A truck in front of me went to over take a cyclist. First the truck crossed a continuous white line as it was passing the cyclist a truck came around the corner in the opposite direction. This caused the truck to dive back in on top of the cyclist. The cyclist was blessed there was an entrance to a house or field which gave him room to avoid being hit by the truck. The truck travelling in the opposite direction almost ended up in the ditch the other side too to also avoid the truck.

Had someone come up along side, pull into the mandatory lane and straight across me into a car parking space - one of about 5 free, in light traffic, opposite Loretto school on St. Stephen's green.

https://goo.gl/maps/34GaL8wCqgR2 - it's upgraded to a mandatory (solid line) cycle lane in the past 18 months or so.

Me with Hi-vis bag cover, back strobe light. She saw a space and that was it. Might as well have not been there. Gave her car a tap going by, which seemed to startle her. She was oblivious of me up to then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Had someone come up along side, pull into the mandatory lane and straight across me into a car parking space - one of about 5 free, in light traffic, opposite Loretto school on St. Stephen's green.

https://goo.gl/maps/34GaL8wCqgR2 - it's upgraded to a mandatory (solid line) cycle lane in the past 18 months or so.

Me with Hi-vis bag cover, back strobe light. She saw a space and that was it. Might as well have not been there. Gave her car a tap going by, which seemed to startle her. She was oblivious of me up to then.

No mention of a helmet, no wonder she didnt see you.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    No mention of a helmet, no wonder she didnt see you.

Dang I knew there was a reason. my bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement