Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was travelling on the Enniskerry road towards Kilternan. A truck in front of me went to over take a cyclist. First the truck crossed a continuous white line as it was passing the cyclist a truck came around the corner in the opposite direction. This caused the truck to dive back in on top of the cyclist. The cyclist was blessed there was an entrance to a house or field which gave him room to avoid being hit by the truck. The truck travelling in the opposite direction almost ended up in the ditch the other side too to also avoid the truck.
    It's this type of stuff that actually bothers me as much as actual close/ punishment passes. Whilst not technically near misses, I'd say every group spin we're overtaken several times when this could be the outcome - luck rather than driver judgement.

4 times on Saturday we were overtaken on solid whites, on bends, where there was zero way the motorist could see far enough in front to safely complete the action.

And we all know that they won't take the hit and will pull in on top of the cyclist(s).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A big thumbs up to the patient Dublin bus driver who was behind me for quite a while this morning awaiting a safe overtake. I gave him a wave as they went passed and he replied with a couple flashes of his hazards. As CramCycle mentioned, it is all too easy to lose sight of the good drivers out there who do make up a majority on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Danbo! wrote: »
    I gestured too close without being aggro, and he starts pointing at me and tapping his head, with a want for a better description, it was the “you’re mental” gesture you’d do when you were 8.

Could it have been a "you're missing a helmet (and therefore guilty of contributory negligence when I run you over)" gesture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

buffalo wrote: »
    Could it have been a "you're missing a helmet (and therefore guilty of contributory negligence when I run you over)" gesture?

No, I was wearing a helmet. Maybe he liked it and I completely misunderstood. What a lovely man to compliment me. I feel bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

not many cyclists on the road this morning so drivers seemed to focus on me instead!

coming across the east link bridge from north to south, i'm always well out from the kerb and tend to move out close to the white line after signalling and checking when i'm about half way across as i turn right immediately after the bridge. this morning as i checked over my shoulder a white van was going for an outrageously close pass, with traffic coming against us. i had to signal pretty strongly at him to hold back.

when we reached the point where the road widened and he was undertaking me as i was turning right i got the stock single finger out the drivers window!

then coming down newbridge avenue near the aviva stadium, it's only wide enough for 1 car most of the way as cars are parked on the other side. a friendly chap in a BMW tried to mount the back of my bike he was driving so close to me in a stretch where he couldn't possibly pass.

and finally, coming around st stephens green heading towards kevin st and at the bottom of harcourt st, there was a bike courier coming from harcourt st who had decided to wait in my cycle lane to cross onto the green. had to stop pretty damn sharpish on the bend in the rain while crossing the luas tracks. i wasn't going looking over my shoulder to see if i'd space while crossing the wet tracks on a bend. i think i politely said "mate, do you mind?". his response..."fvck off". just one of those mornings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

not may cyclists on the road this morning so drivers seemed to focus on me instead!

coming across the east link bridge from north to south,...

then coming down newbridge avenue near the aviva stadium,...

and finally, coming around st stephens green heading towards kevin st...

I know all these spots well, but I'm struggling to string them together in a commute without taking some 'long cuts'.

check_six wrote: »
    I know all these spots well, but I'm struggling to string them together in a commute without taking some 'long cuts'.

haha, you're dead right! i play around with my commute to try to find the best / least bad route and this is where i'm at right now. my most direct route would be down amiens st and college green but i just got p1ssed off of that after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Today I nearly got mown down while in a cycle lane (one of the painted on non-separated types). A woman in a jeep veered into it... because she didn't want to drive over a speed bump. What is the point of buying a jeep if you can't even drive over a speed bump in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Today I nearly got mown down while in a cycle lane (one of the painted on non-separated types). A woman in a jeep veered into it... because she didn't want to drive over a speed bump. What is the point of buying a jeep if you can't even drive over a speed bump in it?

Usually hits them harder actually depending on 4x4 type of course.

Look best way of thinking is nobody else sees you and be prepared for that. Its sad that it is like so but it may end up saving ones life just been always on the look out.

I see many now have a mirror on right side of bike maybe more so for this reason which is a good the I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Had to cycle out to Bray this morning for work (no other form of transport and anyway probably quicker), but the weather was fairly dire. Went via Dundrum Kilternan, Fenrdale Road etc.

Anyway, on Churchtown Road just before Dundrum, a car turned right right in front of me, which snapped me out of feeling sorry for myself about the weather fairly sharpish. Bad enough. But the following car, a woman in a 4x4 tried to do the same thing. I let a roar at her, along the lines of 'oi!' She not only failed to apologise but angrily gestured to the cycle lane.

Now A. as well you all know, you do not have use the lane. I chose not to precisely because it gives priority to cars coming from both left and right over me going straight. B. I was just about to turn right myself and C. it was her who was not paying attention and endangering another road user.

I confess I gave her an old fashioned two fingered salute in parting.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

• Advertisement

I see many now have a mirror on right side of bike maybe more so for this reason which is a good the I think.

It's critical to maintain good situational awareness as you are travelling along by checking over your shoulder (and possibly even checking a mirror). However, if some loo-lah takes a wild swerve at you in a 4x4 on a straight road you can't really do much about it mirror or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's critical to maintain good situational awareness as you are travelling along by checking over your shoulder (and possibly even checking a mirror). However, if some loo-lah takes a wild swerve at you in a 4x4 on a straight road you can't really do much about it mirror or not.

Obviously I know that I wasn't aiming that at that as a save...

Just notice more have them.

Its education and training we lack most of here and should really be a subject looked at in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I used a gopro as a rear facing video camera a few times. After reviewing the footage, I'm glad i don't have a mirror on my bike! (sometimes ignorance is bliss! ;) )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On the N11 this morning and a Black BMW, 11WW something something, was tearing up the bus lane when it hooked into the lane to its right. as a motorbiker was clearly not going fast enough. I really thought I was going to be calling the ambulance, as the car accelerated into the space. Cleared the car in the driving lane by half a meter (if I exaggerate slightly), but the bike, if I estimate there was 5cm, I am being gratuitous with the amount of space.

CramCycle wrote: »
    On the N11 this morning and a Black BMW, 11WW something something, was tearing up the bus lane when it hooked into the lane to its right. as a motorbiker was clearly not going fast enough. I really thought I was going to be calling the ambulance, as the car accelerated into the space. Cleared the car in the driving lane by half a meter (if I exaggerate slightly), but the bike, if I estimate there was 5cm, I am being gratuitous with the amount of space.

no doubt that driver arrived at work an hour earlier than would otherwise have been the case :rolleyes:

no doubt that driver arrived at work an hour earlier than would otherwise have been the case :rolleyes:

I have it on good authority that he was such a *good* driver that he arrived at work before he left his home. Driving a powerful vehicle makes you a *better* driver, I'm told. Certainly more *important* anyway. :eek:

Warning! Words contained within * * may be changed without prior warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

That's happened to me a lot recently . Only yesterday coming through Portmarnock someone did the same to me near Jimmy's bike shop at the speed bumps
    She must have been an inch away from me . It's pretty scary when it happens and only for a scream you could hear on Irelands Eye which warned her , I'd be in hospital today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Most of them can't handle surface water either.

And just wait until you see a woman try and park one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

LennoxR wrote: »

I confess I gave her an old fashioned two fingered salute in parting.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.
    No need to feel any guilt over that. Receiving that salute should be the least of that motorist's, or anybody else's concern, after endangering the life of another road user.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

LennoxR wrote: »
    Anyway, on Churchtown Road just before Dundrum, a car turned right right in front of me, which nsapped me out of feeling sorry for myself about the weather fairly sharpish. Bad enough. But the following car, a woman in a 4x4 tried to do the same thing. I let a roar at her, along the lines of 'oi!' SHe not only failed to apologise but angrily gestured to the cycle lane.

Now A. as well know you do not have use the lane. I chose not to precisely because it gives priority to cars coming from both let and right over me going straight. B. I was just about to turn right myself and C. it was her who was not paying attention and endangering another road user.
    It's a useless cycle lane. Along with forcing you to cede priority three or four times, it also has a crap surface quality and tree branches at head height. The bus lane has very, very little bus traffic, so I take that without any guilt.

• Advertisement

Most of them can't handle surface water either.

And just wait until you see a woman try and park one.

Experience has taught me that a persons sex really has limited effect on their ability to park, if you think differently, while it is your opinion, my years of watching ****ty parkers has shown me that they are male, female, young, old. There really is no defining feature. Define any person by a physical characteristic, and I have probably seen someone fitting that description doing stupid sh1t in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It's a useless cycle lane. Along with forcing you to cede priority three or four times, it also has a crap surface quality and tree branches at head height. The bus lane has very, very little bus traffic, so I take that without any guilt.

I'm the same, use the bus lane along there 3 or 4 times a week and have only had a bus overtake me once.

Tried using the cycle lane a few times but it's crap for all the reasons you listed.

I used to use that road daily up to about 10 years ago , it was a ****ty cycle lane even then so god knows what it's like now :eek:

I never had the tree issue so sounds like they've come on a bit :D

I did however used be cut off regularly at the lights by cars turning left down towards the milltown luas station and me going straight on and I imagine nothing has changed there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

amcalester wrote: »
    I'm the same, use the bus lane along there 3 or 4 times a week and have only had a bus overtake me once.

Tried using the cycle lane a few times but it's crap for all the reasons you listed.

I take one section of pretty quiet bus lane on my commute because the cycle lane there is atrocious for broken glass and other debris.

The other day I had a twat pull up beside me in his L plated Yaris to shout at me for using his bus lane. Poor chap was upset he couldn't undertake all the cars in the driving lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

5uspect wrote: »
    I take one section of pretty quiet bus lane on my commute because the cycle lane there is atrocious for broken glass and other debris.

The other day I had a twat pull up beside me in his L plated Yaris to shout at me for using his bus lane. Poor chap was upset he couldn't undertake all the cars in the driving lane.

A guy in Jag did the same to me along that stretch of bus lane in Churchtown a few months ago. I caught up with him at Goatstown and offered to explain bus lanes to him but he wouldn't even look at me.

Strangely enough the only time I can remember a bus overtaking me, he did it with a tap on the horn to let me know he was there and then passed me with loads of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Had unsubscribed from this thread as I found it too demoralising but, after a near miss this afternoon, I'm back.
    Turned onto the bottom of Leeson Street from Stephens Green heading towards the canal in the bike lane. As I passed Hartigan's pub, a big black Mercedes heading towards the Green started turning right towards Leeson Lane. I couldn't catch the driver's eye as the light was reflected off his windscreen but I was (wrongly) convinced he could see me. As I was crossing the junction with the Lane, he was pointed directly at me and closing rapidly. If I hadn't swerved sharply, he certainly would have hit me.
    I decided to follow after him to get his registration and to ask him what the **** he was doing. He seemed to be looking for a parking space but abandoned this plan when he saw me coming after him. I followed him up Leeson Lane, onto Pembroke Street and back on to Leeson Street before he broke the lights at Fitzwilliam Place and got away from me. Have tried getting on to Traffic Watch a few times since but after four minutes of Vivaldi and please hold messages, each time I gave up. Why is it the only phone-only Garda service with no text or email option?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I had not one but 2 incidents this evening in a 20 min commute. one really close pass, not too fast but she passed me within an inch or too, this was coming up the hill by the Dropping Well near Miltown.

Second one was coming down to KCR from Terenure Road West, i had green filter to turn right, car coming from the opposite direction turning onto the same road I was turning onto. I had right of way as left turning traffic from Kimmage Road West is supposed to yield. She either didn't see me or didn't register but she carried on and had to slam on the brakes.

I'm of the opinion now that its only a matter of time before I come to grief on one of these incidents. The amount of close passes on Terenure Road West is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's usually not too bad on my commute, but today heading home - going from beach road onto bath street, towards ringsend - i.e. just where you'd turn right to head for the east link - a woman passed me and immediately cut left to go down church avenue; i certainly had to brake to avoid her. she had a red light anyway, so as i passed, i just gave her an 'excuse me, do you bloody well mind?' and kept going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

adrian522 wrote: »
    I had right of way as left turning traffic from Kimmage Road West is supposed to yield.

I pass through here every morning from wainsfort direction, always a problem when there's no other traffic due to the angle of the slip road, cars tend to look past me. Also frequently have idiots on bikes sailing through without looking.

Had a good one this morning. There's a guy I see frequently on my commute. Old mountain bike, soft tyres, but I always remember him because he's slow, shoals/breaks every light and sits comically upright. Anyway, I repeatedly pass him and he repeatedly shoals me or breaks lights to pass. Taking the right turn onto the north quays after coming down through christchurch, I pass him, again, and he went ballistic. "What are you doing coming up past me on this side!?" he starts shouting "you're going to get yourself killed" Eh, ok, I'll undertake next time. :confused:

• Advertisement

Roundabout at the spawell, white van and the car beside it who could see nothing both pulled out, and only stopped because of me roar. Then decided to start beeping their horns. I presume in thanks for me warning them I was there.
    Coming through UCD and a young one just pulled out straight in front of me as I was on the roundabout. Again a roar but he looked at me with such disgust. I really thought I couldn't miss that one. I'll say one thing, good brakes and good tyres are a life saver. My Cateye Volt 300 is obviously useless though so I better chuck that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement