Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I had a near miss yesterday, but it involved a pedestrian rather than a car.

Was on the cycle path heading towards Sutton after Bull Island. So there is two cycle lanes and a pedestrian part. There's a small wall to show the edge of the water. Saw a guy on his phone with a small boy close by at the wall (so on my right) and two women were sitting on a bench on the left of the cycle lane. I kept my eye on the kid, I assumed if anything was going to happen it would be the small boy and just as I reaching them the bot decides to make a run for it.

Slammed the brakes and dived to the left, up the small kerb and into the grass. Luckily the trees are pretty sparse and I avoided everything. But it was real close to taking out the kid. He didn't look once, just head down and ran across both lanes.

When I had survived I looked back and there the man still on the phone walking across to the bench. Shouted back that he should pay more attention to what his son was doing. No acknowledgement at all!

That part of the track can be pretty fast, I was going 30k, so I would have done some serious damage to that little boy. Not the young lads fault, but parents needs to take some responsibility for ensuring their childrens safety & that of others.
    If your description is accurate, that's pretty poor behaviour on your part and it's the child who had the near miss. Why were you doing 30km/h? You'd seen the boy and you were anticipating him doing something, but then took no action. Drop the speed and pass him slowly, with your brake lever covered. Once passed, then you can get back to cruising speed. His father may be inattentive or ignoring you, but a small boy is just that and liable to do daft things on impulse.

I would expect a motorist to slow down when encountering children on a road. I slow down when approaching even when they're on the footpath. Maintaining velocity after identifying a risk is foolhardy and ignorant. The very thing that motorists are being accused of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Meant to post back in here about the incident yesterday that has changed the question of whether I'll get a bike camera to when I'll get one. Cycling home along SCR through Rialto and have just cleared the traffic island, I'm holding the lane as there's another car parked up ahead that I'll reach in a few seconds (travelling at 35-ish), so no point in pulling in, especially since there's no oncoming traffic and thus acres of space to overtake safely..... or so I thought. Driver behind was obviously in a rush and disagreed with the silly cyclist's assessment, to the extent that she absolutely had no choice but to pass within a foot of me. Probably my first incident that I have absolutely no doubt was a punishment pass.

I caught up with here in traffic stopped for the lights before James's Hospital (so her carry on got her about her business far more quickly than otherwise :rolleyes:) and as I was rolling by I inquired in her open window "Have you never heard of a safe passing distance?" which was received by her staring blankly ahead reactionless.

Actually, now that I re-read the last part, clearly the problem was that I had a flashing 70 lumen red light on the back, and not a high-vis. Silly me. She couldn't have missed me and then ignored me if I'd had high-vis on, especially in broad daylight at 6:30pm.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I managed just to brake in time as did the few cyclists beside/behind me. Anyway, this "gentleman" what i could only describe as an aggressive thug starting roaring at the council workers saying you cant put that clamp on them. One of the drivers of parked cars seemed now to be present too and this thug was saying to him do not let him put that on. Basically then he started to put his hands on council worker and tried to stop him from putting clamp on saying "these lads cant afford to pay for this, this is a disgrace, I'm going to go to Joe Duffy and put this on facebook etc" I wish he would and I'm gutted i didn't have a camera to catch this unfolding. I was debating getting involved but he seemed to have a screw loose and was getting more aggressive as this went on, so didn't fancy fighting this battle at the time. Fun times..
    This would be assault right, I certainly would not take too kindly to someone laying there hand on me during the course of my work.
    cython wrote: »
    Meant to post back in here about the incident yesterday that has changed the question of whether I'll get a bike camera to when I'll get one. Cycling home along SCR through Rialto and have just cleared the traffic island, I'm holding the lane as there's another car parked up ahead that I'll reach in a few seconds (travelling at 35-ish), so no point in pulling in, especially since there's no oncoming traffic and thus acres of space to overtake safely..... or so I thought. Driver behind was obviously in a rush and disagreed with the silly cyclist's assessment, to the extent that she absolutely had no choice but to pass within a foot of me. Probably my first incident that I have absolutely no doubt was a punishment pass.

I caught up with here in traffic stopped for the lights before James's Hospital (so her carry on got her about her business far more quickly than otherwise :rolleyes:) and as I was rolling by I inquired in her open window "Have you never heard of a safe passing distance?" which was received by her staring blankly ahead reactionless.
    It's a weird issue up there, I found the few times I go that way, most motorists realise there is no point, and most are incredibly courteous. I usually take the lane before the roundabout but there is occasionally one, just as you describe. Sometimes the road is wide enough that it doesn't feel to bad, but you always catch them within 30seconds. I often get them trying to overtake going over the hump in the bridge there, where they cannot yet see the cars stopped less than a few metres down the road. Or they try and overtake and get stuck in the right lane over the hump and then cause all sorts of nonsense trying to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

an post van this morning coming down leeson st towards st stephens green, cut across the cycle lane (as everybody seems to do) just past the sugar club. i stayed just behind him as i always do seeing that a left turn was coming up, he wasn't indicating.

of course he was actually turning left and just as he started making the turn he decided it was an appropriate time to start indicating. am half tempted to set up a twitter account and send the video on to an post later.

CramCycle wrote: »
    It's a weird issue up there, I found the few times I go that way, most motorists realise there is no point, and most are incredibly courteous. I usually take the lane before the roundabout but there is occasionally one, just as you describe. Sometimes the road is wide enough that it doesn't feel to bad, but you always catch them within 30seconds. I often get them trying to overtake going over the hump in the bridge there, where they cannot yet see the cars stopped less than a few metres down the road. Or they try and overtake and get stuck in the right lane over the hump and then cause all sorts of nonsense trying to get back.

Yeah, I go that route pretty much daily (used to go the quays, but genuinely found SCR less hassle and more relaxed as a route to get to the Phoenix Park (heading from there out to D15), and as you say for the most part it's fine (only other real incident I had was where a car went to turn into the hardware shop across me with no indicator, and continued once I had passed in spite of the OH cycling behind me!), and even the garden variety idiots that normally seem to be in a hurry still aren't as dodgy as this one. Generally the hazards stem from cars coming and going from the parking, and a close pass as I was the subject of are very much out of the ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

an post van this morning coming down leeson st towards st stephens green, cut across the cycle lane (as everybody seems to do) just past the sugar club. i stayed just behind him as i always do seeing that a left turn was coming up, he wasn't indicating.

of course he was actually turning left and just as he started making the turn he decided it was an appropriate time to start indicating. am half tempted to set up a twitter account and send the video on to an post later.

Anpost ignore cycling issues on twitter. Dont bother.

ED E wrote: »
    Anpost ignore cycling issues on twitter. Dont bother.

how ironic for a company which relies heavily on cyclists to maintain their own service and has such a long association with cycling sponsorship in ireland.

Has anyone got a link to the video of the Garda flashing his badge after trying to run a cycle courier down on the quays a couple years back? Can't find the thing.

Has anyone got a link to the video of the Garda flashing his badge after trying to run a cycle courier down on the quays a couple years back? Can't find the thing.

Original sticky bottle article is here with a broken video, so I suspect it was taken down. Whether voluntarily or under some form of duress/compulsion (e.g. if some follow up was taking place) is anyone's guess.

this the one where he was driving an unmarked Audi? will have a look.

edit: boards thread on the subject linked to same version of the video it seems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Cant find it myself, but I did see it only about 2 weeks ago.

cython wrote: »
    Original sticky bottle article is here with a broken video, so I suspect it was taken down. Whether voluntarily or under some form of duress/compulsion (e.g. if some follow up was taking place) is anyone's guess.

Somehow I dont think it was the poster being disappointed with his cinematography. Thanks for the link :D

screenshot here of badge flash!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I stayed just behind him as i always do seeing that a left turn was coming up, he wasn't indicating.

Am half tempted to set up a twitter account and send the video on to an post later.

Send it to Broadsheet instead. Higher view count if they show it and more chance of An Post doing anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Two close ones today on the way home.

First, at terenure village cross roads. I’m coming from town taking a right towards templeogue, no turn-filter light yet, and there’s a coach coming towards me but turning left, so he has to yield. I turn right and I can see the driver isn’t looking at all, and he heads out beyond his yield line. I have to awkwardly check behind me to move out around him, and coupled with me slowing down when I realised he’s not paying full attention, I end up at a crawling pace right in front of him. But he then decides to go with me inches from the bumper. Lots of gesturing and waving from me, but he’s away with the fairies. Video will be going to coach company. Looking back I should have stopped dead before getting in front of him, hindsight is a wonderful thing. :)

A bit up the road, my old favourite close pass spot outside Ashfield college, I twig a “small” car transporter behind me in the mirror and he looks to be left wheels in cycle lane. We’re about 30ft from where the road opens up into 3 lanes, and the light is red, surely he won’t, will he? Of course he ****ing will. It looked small from the front, non-artic type, but the thing was long and so close. Gave him a wave at the lights up ahead and made the “too close” gesture and he waved to apologise. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

I had an unusual close pass on the way home yesterday. Stopped at a red light on the way up North Strand Road and a taxi came so close I had to move my right foot as otherwise it would have been run over. A quizzical look at the drive was met with a glare followed by much revving of the engine and a racing start when the lights changed. I got another glare when I passed him 20 meters up the road at the next red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

bob b wrote: »
    I had an unusual close pass on the way home yesterday. Stopped at a red light on the way up North Strand Road and a taxi came so close I had to move my right foot as otherwise it would have been run over. A quizzical look at the drive was met with a glare followed by much revving of the engine and a racing start when the lights changed. I got another glare when I passed him 20 meters up the road at the next red light.

Ah you had the misfortune of encountering the frequently spotted c**t. This species is very common on Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

bob b wrote: »
    a taxi came so close I had to move my right foot as otherwise it would have been run over.
    Professional driver. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I have recently enough started cycling to work, through the Phoenix Park and up the quays and then up towards Stephen's green

So far thankfully I have nothing major to report in this thread but reading it has been a useful education in how to be safe, I am fairly cautious and happy to let faster people by wherever I can as I always leave myself plenty of time to get where i am going

This morning when approaching the junction with Church street where the buses/cars have to cross the cycle lane to turn left up Church street I was overtaken by another cyclist

There was a car ahead of both of us who was indicating that he was going to turn left and had to cross the cycle lane, he had indicated correctly and in plenty of time and had the right of way as he was ahead of both of us and started his maneuver before we approached

The other cyclist guy continues on up the cycle lane and forces the car to jam on the brakes so as to not knock him off, cyclist proceeds to continue around the car as if he had the right of way

So a near miss all of the other cyclists making, the poor car driver was shocked from nearly knocking someone down and then got blasted off the road by a bus for missing the light

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Just another piece of evidence that there are idiots in all modes of transport; most of whom are completely unaware of their own idiocy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I have recently enough started cycling to work, through the Phoenix Park and up the quays and then up towards Stephen's green

You'll have a much more pleasant cycle by exiting the park and going through Kilmainham and down the canal until you turn off where you need to head around by the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

So far thankfully I have nothing major to report in this thread but reading it has been a useful education in how to be safe, I am fairly cautious and happy to let faster people by wherever I can as I always leave myself plenty of time to get where i am going

This morning when approaching the junction with Church street where the buses/cars have to cross the cycle lane to turn left up Church street I was overtaken by another cyclist

There was a car ahead of both of us who was indicating that he was going to turn left and had to cross the cycle lane, he had indicated correctly and in plenty of time and had the right of way as he was ahead of both of us and started his maneuver before we approached

The other cyclist guy continues on up the cycle lane and forces the car to jam on the brakes so as to not knock him off, cyclist proceeds to continue around the car as if he had the right of way

So a near miss all of the other cyclists making, the poor car driver was shocked from nearly knocking someone down and then got blasted off the road by a bus for missing the light
    Probably the cyclist's fault all right. But, would you say the motorist was a bit hesitant, after indicating? If they had indicated in good time and were safely ahead of both of you, why didn't they just go for it? How fast was the other cyclist going?

I think the RSA could be doing more to offer guidance on this situation. On street cycle lanes at junctions like that may be creating an impression of absolute right of way, of cyclists over other traffic that needs to turn.

Had a near miss myself yesterday, not involving bikes though. Near head on collision with me coming round a bend to meet a car overtaking on continuous white line, approaching the bend on a bad stretch of the N5. Very hard braking required to avoid collision. I can't remember a shave as close as that ever. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'd agree with you that the cyclist was in the wrong here; however it is a bit of a grey area.

For example, if I am on the motorway driving, and I want to move Left from Lane A to Lane B = if there is a Car driving in Lane B beside me - I cant cut across that car.

What you are saying here is that the car is turning left across the cycle lane - it did indicate - but it is saying to the cyclists 'you have to stop now so I can cut across the cycle lane' .....if I understand you correctly.

A lot of cyclists will feel - this is my lane, you are cutting across it, you should wait for me to come through and then cut across it....

So - imho - its a grey area......who is right and who is wrong - I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

plodder wrote: »
    Probably the cyclist's fault all right. But, would you say the motorist was a bit hesitant, after indicating? If they had indicated in good time and were safely ahead of both of you, why didn't they just go for it? How fast was the other cyclist going?

I think the RSA could be doing more to offer guidance on this situation. On street cycle lanes at junctions like that may be creating an impression of absolute right of way, of cyclists over other traffic that needs to turn.

Ah come on, cyclists are at fault some of the time, from reading the post this fella sounded like a total d**k on a bike. No sense in passing some of the blame on to the driver by reading more in to the story than what was posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    So - imho - its a grey area......who is right and who is wrong - I'm not 100% sure.

It's not, if the car is indicating and there in good time it's legally entitled to cross the cycle 'track'. It's not perceived as crossing a proper pane although it probably should be.

The thing is nobody knows this rule, even people with a full drivers licence. I constantly yield to cars who indicate left to turn across the cycle lane but some of them you can see watching you in the wing mirror and you have to have a bit of a staring contest until they see you wave them on.

jive wrote: »
    It's not, if the car is indicating and there in good time it's legally entitled to cross the cycle 'track'. It's not perceived as crossing a proper pane although it probably should be.

The thing is nobody knows this rule, even people with a full drivers licence.
    I constantly yield to cars who indicate left to turn across the cycle lane but some of them you can see watching you in the wing mirror and you have to have a bit of a staring contest until they see you wave them on.

That sounds like a grey area to me.

I'd agree with you that the cyclist was in the wrong here; however it is a bit of a grey area.

For example, if I am on the motorway driving, and I want to move Left from Lane A to Lane B = if there is a Car driving in Lane B beside me - I cant cut across that car.

What you are saying here is that the car is turning left across the cycle lane - it did indicate - but it is saying to the cyclists 'you have to stop now so I can cut across the cycle lane' .....if I understand you correctly.

A lot of cyclists will feel - this is my lane, you are cutting across it, you should wait for me to come through and then cut across it....

jive wrote: »

The thing is nobody knows this rule, even people with a full drivers licence. I constantly yield to cars who indicate left to turn across the cycle lane but some of them you can see watching you in the wing mirror and you have to have a bit of a staring contest until they see you wave them on.
    That sounds like a grey area to me.

Well here it is in black and white (my emphasis):
    (b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

On the subject of cyclists acting the d**k...

I was on the Sutton bike path the other day.

Cyclist coming towards me swerves in my direction.

Gentleman was a 'no hands' merchant, reading his phone.... I am normally a defender of cyclists.....however the 'no hands' thing is where I draw the line....

Grey area

(b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

So again - is a cyclist expected to stop to avoid a collision here? As the car cuts across?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Ah come on, cyclists are at fault some of the time, from reading the post this fella sounded like a total d**k on a bike. No sense in passing some of the blame on to the driver by reading more in to the story than what was posted.
    I don't see the problem with teasing out the incident a bit more with a few questions about it to the poster. People don't usually set out to be dicks on bikes or cars for that matter. Maybe he thought he had right of way. I'm absolutely serious as well that the RSA should be doing information videos about situations like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement