Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm starting to dread September when the schools are back and traffic is back to madness levels. I should have a video to post this evening over some insanity this morning. Cycling along a somewhat narrow section of road, about 1M out from the ditch. I see a car approaching from the other side of the road, and hear one coming from behind. The fool behind moves out to overtake me paying no attention to the car(s) approaching head on. The approaching car on the other side of the road leans on the horn and brakes hard. The overtaker doesn't flinch and just continues to boot past. What are people thinking? The pass wasn't especially close to me, but it was still just bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Cycling down O'Connell street this morning passing a parked buss, and a taxi driver in a van full of customers flys by me about a foot from the handlebars.

I reach him at the next set of lights:rolleyes: and ask him if that was necessary, it was very inconsiderate and dangerous to pass that close, he kept repeating
    "are you finished talking , are you finished talking"
    I asked will you be more considerate next time,
    he shook his head and said "no".
    Professional drivers :pac:
    Would report if I had footage but I had no camera this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

papu wrote: »
    Cycling down O'Connell street this morning passing a parked buss, and a taxi driver in a van full of customers flys by me about a foot from the handlebars.

I reach him at the next set of lights:rolleyes: and ask him if that was necessary, it was very inconsiderate and dangerous to pass that close, he kept repeating
    "are you finished talking , are you finished talking"
    I asked will you be more considerate next time,
    he shook his head and said "no".
    Professional drivers :pac:
    Would report if I had footage but I had no camera this morning.

Don't be mistaken they are in no way professional.

Get yourselves an air horn they work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Get yourselves an air horn they work wonders.

...and they're illegal...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yep:
    Originally Posted by S.I. No. 190/1963 - Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963.
    93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, and no other type of audible warning instrument shall be fitted to a pedal cycle while used in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Its a bit like Hash bars in Amsterdam...

"Yeah, It breaks down like this, ok, it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, but...but that dosen't matter, cause, get a load of this; all right, if you get stopped by a cop in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean that's a right the cops in Amsterdam don't have"

https://play.google.com/music/preview/Txa72smnmwsd3p4h7uk2zaudyp4?lyrics=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=lyrics&pcampaignid=kp-songlyrics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

My kids got me one of those for Christmas after I got my bike. I'm glad I now have legislation to point to, saying why I can't fit it..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've mentioned this elsewhere on this forum, but this is the best bell I've ever used:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crane-Bell-Aluminium-Bicycle-Steel-x/dp/B00KFCYPTU/ref=sr_1_2

Yes it looks ridiculous on my road bike. But it is ridiculously and annoyingly loud. People in cars can hear it no bother. The only issue is that it doesn't work when it rains, but this is true for all conventional bells.

My comment about the bugle thing was some what tongue in cheek :pac:. It'd be a slow day for a Garda if you were pulled over on a bike with one of those fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd say it's unlikely you'd get pulled over for having one, but if you were involved in any kind of incident, it could work against you.

I'd say it's unlikely you'd get pulled over for having one, but if you were involved in any kind of incident, it could work against you.

Ah come on, how could you get yourself in trouble sounding like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HzVOCbaT3M

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

And in some cases they're completely aware of how dangerous they are but simply don't give a f**k. They should introduce some sort of licencing and insurance system before they're allowed on the road, then there wouldn't be a problem :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Roadhawk wrote: »

Will take AGS about 20yrs to work that out though.

Ah come on, how could you get yourself in trouble sounding like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HzVOCbaT3M

:)

That would send my OH running in terror due to her crazy fear of clowns .... I might get one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Roadhawk wrote: »
    General rule for thumb for this forum: ignore everything this user posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Agreed.
    Anybody can get a PSV license for a taxi and lots of idiots, inconsiderate and downright dangerous/poor drivers have!! Sorry to generalise, but that's my experience. So many of the just don't care about other road users. If our police force were better resourced, lots of them should be taken off the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

six days since the last report of a near miss. is this because of the august holiday period?

anyway, cycling home today, coming up ballymun road, and there's traffic coming from ballymun direction waiting to cross the northbound lane, heading onto pappins road. first car goes, room to spare, second motorist just decides to blindly play 'follow my leader' and drive across in front of me. thankfully i could see it coming, she barely even blinked at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

anyway, cycling home today, coming up ballymun road, and there's traffic coming from ballymun direction waiting to cross the northbound lane, heading onto pappins road. first car goes, room to spare, second motorist just decides to blindly play 'follow my leader' and drive across in front of me. thankfully i could see it coming, she barely even blinked at me.

I wonder if motorists single out mods for special attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nah, wasn't that, beasty hasn't had a chance to send out my mods jersey yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Two passes yesterday evening. The first, an oncoming car going really slow in the gutter (I'm guessing unstickered learner based on what appeared to be a conversation with the passenger). Narrowish road (porterstown) 1 car overtakes, right, transit overtakes, uhh this is going to be tight, third car who couldn't have seen the road (not) being clear passes between me and the almost stopped learner. I couldn't even reach out and give him the finger.

Second, a transit overtook me after cresting the bridge over the train/canal again with oncoming cars that had to stop and pull out of the way. Due to a learner (possibly the same) progress was limited. Best part was him beeping me as I (legally) overtook him, and then the learner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

six days since the last report of a near miss. is this because of the august holiday period?

Noticed it had gone quiet too, but I reckon you're right. September is going to be great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Danbo! wrote: »
    Noticed it had gone quiet too, but I reckon you're right. September is going to be great craic.

I've let the assholes win changed my route recently and taken out the R149 which is where all mine occurred (or 99% anyway), it's just under a mile extra but my stress levels have gone down massively! Except when I think about how the council could actually make space on that road for cyclists, and put up a few 'speed kills' signs, and put some cameras on the road, then they go back up again :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Heading down park gate street yesterday morning, quite enough traffic wise. Probably doing 35 kph, as I'd just come down the hill from from the park. Heading for the green light at the junction at the courts building, taxi man cuts across me turning up at the hill; beside Courts. I braked hard. His mouthed "f**ck you" and accompanying hand gesture made his intentions known. Taxi men are by far the biggest dangers to cyclists in Dublin city anyway. They've almost universally got complete disregard.

I've let the assholes win changed my route recently and taken out the R149 which is where all mine occurred (or 99% anyway), it's just under a mile extra but my stress levels have gone down massively! Except when I think about how the council could actually make space on that road for cyclists, and put up a few 'speed kills' signs, and put some cameras on the road, then they go back up again :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

I changed my route recently too, used to travel from Butterfield Ave to Churchtown along Nutgrove Ave but now follow Dodder Park Rd to Churchtown.

It adds a bit to the journey but the stress levels are lower and fewer close passes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i had another very close one on the east link during the week, amazing how it's been so hassle free for months and then 2 in 2 weeks.

in general the forum seems to be a lot quieter, or at least certain threads are. mimics my office this time of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

amcalester wrote: »
    I changed my route recently too, used to travel from Butterfield Ave to Churchtown along Nutgrove Ave but now follow Dodder Park Rd to Churchtown.

It adds a bit to the journey but the stress levels are lower and fewer close passes too.

Back streets ftw, all the way.

i had another very close one on the east link during the week
    on the bridge itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

in general the forum seems to be a lot quieter, or at least certain threads are. mimics my office this time of the year!

Once the schools are back we will have people doing plenty of stupid shdue to increased traffic, thread will get back to normal levels then :cool:

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Back streets ftw, all the way.

It's already 22km from home to work and I don't really want to make that any longer or slower, particularly on the way to work.

Besides I cycle from Blackrock to Citywest which as a route, and I'm open to correction, doesn't really lend itself to back streets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement