Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I tried to explain that if every time you cycle you react to every incident then you will be permanently on edge and stressed. Far better to anticipate and take avoiding action.
    Far better to anticipate, take avoiding action AND let the person who caused it know what the did.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Unless you're a Guard, you've no business going around policing other road users and are just asking for confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Unless you're a Guard, you've no business going around policing other road users and are just asking for confrontation.

This is BS, if you see someone on the phone while driving or cycling, or doing something that may not only endanger you but other road users you are far within your right to ask them to stop. The "keep the head down, sure it'll be grand mentality" is infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It's not policing to ask people not to endanger my life. It's self-preservation. And if we live in an Ireland where asking someone to keep me safe risks their assaulting me, then I don't want to live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Far better to anticipate, take avoiding action AND let the person who caused it know what the did.

I don't think so.

I am doing my present commute across town for last 11 years. First year or 2 I was going to correct all driver behaviour, point out politely where they may have made a mistake and we would all learn from the experience.

It never happened like this. Nearly every interaction ended in one or other of us shouting and losing the head.

Now I simply enjoy my cycling and cycle in a manner that dosent put me in any danger or confrontational situations. There are always exceptions of course but I try to stay calm, put it down to experience, hopefully learn from it and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Aside from the fact that you've no right to be policing other road users, a.) 90 percent of these self-appointed horn blowers and window tappers are usually in the wrong themselves about what the law is; b.) you're creating a hazardous situation by initiating a confrontation because you and the person you're engaging with are no longer concentrating on the road; and c.) these confrontations rarely end amicably.

Aside from the fact that you've no right to be policing other road users, a.) 90 percent of these self-appointed horn blowers and window tappers are usually in the wrong themselves about what the law is; b.) you're creating a hazardous situation by initiating a confrontation because you and the person you're engaging with are no longer concentrating on the road; and c.) these confrontations rarely end amicably.

90% eh? :):D;)

No, if I window-tap it's when the driver is stopped, and I'll say politely that they passed me awfully close back there, I'm sure they didn't realise; in my experience, hardly any such interaction results in rudeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

This fella is good for the confrontation. One day he will meet the wrong person!

https://www.youtube.com/user/CycleDub/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How did you jump from "let the person who caused it know what they did" to 'policing other road users'? I didn't suggest issueing fines or locking anyone up - just a simple conversation between two adults.
    It never happened like this. Nearly every interaction ended in one or other of us shouting and losing the head.
    Honestly, that says more about you than it does about the other guys.

My experience differs considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Roadhawk wrote: »
    This fella is good for the confrontation. One day he will meet the wrong person!

Let's not go down this road :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

We were discussing this after and she explained it was out of fear that made her react like this.

This is the crucial line in that post imo. When you have just been put in fear of your life or just even given a start it is not so easy to react calmly and rationally. None of the incidents sound dramatic but it sounds as if there was one of her first cycles and she was probably already at a high state of nerves just from sharing the road with cars. Easy to forget what that is like when you are starting off. If you are cycling along going "I am in danger of dying, I am in danger of dying" then even a slight additional risk can probably tip you over the edge of temper.

Close passes, or a lesser road altercation when I am almost home after a long cycle (so low blood sugar/hangry), are the occasions when I am liable to lose my temper. In the rest of my life I am calm, I do not have a temper (again hangry being an exception) but in those moments I not only don't care if the confrontation descends into violence I am probably subconsciously almost hoping it will.

Not at all like my usual self but adrenaline, cortisol and low blood sugar have powerful effects on temperment.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fian wrote: »
    In the rest of my life I am calm, I do not have a temper (again hangry being an exception) but in those moments I not only don't care if the confrontation descends into violence I am probably subconsciously almost hoping it will.
    OK OK, you can have my Twix! Just don't hurt me! :pac:

On the subject of window-tapping, I don't do it, but this morning a driver turned left across me into an entrance, flicking the indicator just as he turned the wheel, as I was passing on the left in very slow/stopped traffic.

I braked hard and stopped, maybe lightly touching the left of the car with the gloved knuckles of right hand, and calmly waited to see which way he would move so I could proceed.

There was another cyclist behind me who rapped on the rear window and gave out to the driver. I think he thought he was being helpful, but I felt like chum in a shark pool. Leave me out of it!

In my experience if I'm calm enough to not shout I'm calm enough to just go on my way without more than a aspirationally-Italian-but-probably-just-dorky flick of the forearm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Had one on the Tayto park to Rathfeigh road again yesterday, had stopped already to let two cars pass as different locations when a BMW roared past me with inches to spare.

Scary listening to the stats on mobile phone use in cars on Newstalk today

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

Nearly knocked off twice by the same clown today. Cycling towards town on Rochestown Avenue, which is a narrow enough road at the best of times, some lad in a gold car with a flag hanging out the side passes me all of about 4 inches away and then proceeds to pull closer to the edge of the road as he's alongside me nearly putting me into the overgrowth at the side of the road. He was so close the supporters flag was practically waving in my face.

I caught him at the set of lights at bakers corner and decided to heed my lesson from the first time. I cycled a good extra meter into the lane than I normally do so that I couldn't get squeezed. There were a number of cars between me and him, that passed me without problems as it's a fairly wide road and there was no traffic coming the other way. Of course, my friend decides to pass me at a similar distance to the first time, so I begin to move towards the curb to try give myself some sort of space. He follows me to the left of the lane, and then takes a left turn as I'm on his back wheel. Thankfully I was on the brakes anyway as I was about to hit the side of the road, but the guy crosses in front of me with inches between us as I'm skidding to a stop.

I'm a little annoyed that I didn't follow him as he can only have been going another 100 meters before getting out. Had I not been aware of him due to his previous ridiculous pass he'd genuinely have run me down. Maybe it's time to invest in a camera, maybe I should have followed him and reported the reg to traffic watch, or maybe I'd have been warranted giving him a piece of my mind (I was fuming, still am). Either he didn't see me, or he didn't care, twice. Once I can almost let go as a mistake, obviously there's no excuse but it doesn't make you an immediate danger to everybody else, but if he's passing other cyclists the way he did me today it's only a matter of time before somebody ends up under his wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If Johnny on the stool next to you has six pints and then stumbles out into his car, would you not call the Gardai?

TheJak01 wrote: »
    Nearly knocked off twice by the same clown today. Cycling towards town on Rochestown Avenue, which is a narrow enough road at the best of times, some lad in a gold car with a flag hanging out the side passes me all of about 4 inches away and then proceeds to pull closer to the edge of the road as he's alongside me nearly putting me into the overgrowth at the side of the road. He was so close the supporters flag was practically waving in my face.

I caught him at the set of lights at bakers corner and decided to heed my lesson from the first time. I cycled a good extra meter into the lane than I normally do so that I couldn't get squeezed. There were a number of cars between me and him, that passed me without problems as it's a fairly wide road and there was no traffic coming the other way. Of course, my friend decides to pass me at a similar distance to the first time, so I begin to move towards the curb to try give myself some sort of space. He follows me to the left of the lane, and then takes a left turn as I'm on his back wheel. Thankfully I was on the brakes anyway as I was about to hit the side of the road, but the guy crosses in front of me with inches between us as I'm skidding to a stop.

I'm a little annoyed that I didn't follow him as he can only have been going another 100 meters before getting out. Had I not been aware of him due to his previous ridiculous pass he'd genuinely have run me down. Maybe it's time to invest in a camera, maybe I should have followed him and reported the reg to traffic watch, or maybe I'd have been warranted giving him a piece of my mind (I was fuming, still am). Either he didn't see me, or he didn't care, twice. Once I can almost let go as a mistake, obviously there's no excuse but it doesn't make you an immediate danger to everybody else, but if he's passing other cyclists the way he did me today it's only a matter of time before somebody ends up under his wheels.

Maybe he did see you and decided to try to push you off the road?

ED E wrote: »
    If Johnny on the stool next to you has six pints and then stumbles out into his car, would you not call the Gardai?

That's my point. Call the guards and report it to them rather than getting into a confrontation yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ED E wrote: »

Calling the Gardai is not the same as policing other road users.

In my experience, the Gardaí don't care when you report drink drivers. Have called them at least 4 times and no follow up.

That's my point. Call the guards and report it to them rather than getting into a confrontation yourself.

By the time the Gardai respond Johnny will be well asleep in bed.

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    In my experience, the Gardaon't care when you report drink drivers. Have called them at least 4 times and no follow up.

Exactly. Tell them you think you saw the person have a gun. Watch how they respond then

Lumen wrote: »
    Calling the Gardai is not the same as policing other road users.

GET READY TO DIE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

TheJak01 wrote: »

That sounds malicious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No near miss today. I hit a car today. 100% my fault. I was behind and just shy of enough space for stopping. It was a very slow impact.

I went around to the window and the driver apologised. I explained it was my faulf and that they should pull into make sure I didn't do any damage to the bumper. They pulled in and said it was their fault for indicating as they were turning. I said that didn't matter, I was too close to stop in time. They said, not at all, we are in a town and everyone drives to close together, definetly their fault. I asked them to get out and inspect the bonnet, make sure they were happy there was no damage.

I swear we nearly fell out over who was at fault (and it was definetly me). No point giving out if I can't accept my own faults.

Borderfox wrote: »
    In my experience, the Gardaí don't care when you report drink drivers. Have called them at least 4 times and no follow up.

I still remember calling the Gardaí as I was looking down from a building in Dublin city centre at two well-dressed businessmen supporting a third to his car. The two on the outside were weaving back and forth; they were more or less dragging the other, who had his key pointed forwards. They planted him at the car and the three of them managed to get the key into the car door. Then the outside two poured the other into the driver's seat and he foostered around for quite a while before driving off.

The whole thing took, I suppose, ten or fifteen minutes. We were steps from O'Connell Street and from Store Street. No sign of a garda by the time your man weaves off into the traffic, maybe half an hour from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I assure you i wouldn't lie about it...these encounters are rare enough, so it's good to acknowledge them.

I don't think it's that rare, I've had plenty of people apologise to me by gesture or otherwise.

It's just you don't see people posting about it much.

These days I'd say 99 out of 100 vehicles are giving me loads of space when they pass. Not sure if it is due to all the recent cycling stuff in the news, or the fact I am using some very good lights when I am out cycling, even during the day, during summer.

That aside, it's just that one asshole who will ruin your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Not an entire "near miss" per se but received a threat of violence and abuse from this lovely person a few weeks ago.

He tried to overtake me and then cut across into the supermarket car park having flicked his left indicator on then I asked him outstraight if he was blind.

He then proceeded to let me know he would smash my face in. Having gone past his destination to threaten me he turned around further ahead and called names like a child again sticking his head out the window, funny!

Don't know whether to send to the Garda or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Roadhawk wrote: »

The hero Dublin deserves, but not the one it needs right now...

My right arm gets almost as much of a workout when cycling as it does when using it for other dangerous activities; gesticulating to cars to keep right when passing. Most irritating is when the entire opposite lane is free on a straight stretch of road. Mind boggling stupidity and ignorance on behalf of the motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

LpPepper wrote: »
    Not an entire "near miss" per se but received a threat of violence and abuse from this lovely person a few weeks ago.

He tried to overtake me and then cut across into the supermarket car park having flicked his left indicator on then I asked him outstraight if he was blind.

He then proceeded to let me know he would smash my face in. Having gone past his destination to threaten me he turned around further ahead and called names like a child again sticking his head out the window, funny!

He went to the effort of turning around, perhaps he was serious, I would report it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

LpPepper wrote: »

In such a hurry to do his shopping and then goes to all that trouble to threaten you. Hmm. That’s some reaction to “are you blind”, I’ve been cut off like that before and shouted far worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement