Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

2 weeks pulling a trailer bike in Italy and I 'only' had 2 near misses in that period. They were literally within 2 minutes of each other. By the same car. Lady was on the phone and encroached into my lane, despite heavy traffic and there was nowhere to go so I ended up re-passing her immediately anyway. At the other side of the village, while still on the phone, she done the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

On the way home yesterday evening after work, standard enough busy evening traffic

2 separate fcukwits were cycling and texting at the same time
    1 going through Christchurch who broke several red lights and probably didn't see them
    The other was on the quays which is a busy dangerous spot at the best of times

In fairness it is a bit of a skill I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Seem to have encountered a lot more recently.

This one gets my goat though...it's a guy who is in the same apartment block. Twice he has left at the same time as me:

1) Building site so "no right turn" out of the car park. I go left on my bike. He goes right.
    2) At the lights, he is there using his phone.

and now the stinker...

Twice he has overtaken me going up Kill Ave, just about brushing past me as he goes. Today was exceptionally close, I reckon if I'd stuck my right elbow out he would have clipped it.

I'm tempted to leave a note on his car, or confront him (reasonably) next time I see him getting in/out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I was out for a run today and my young lad tagged along on his bike. He was in full bmc kit, red helmet and flashing lights, so fairly visible.
    He went on ahead of me and was proceeding through a round about when a van came on to the roundabout at speed narrowly missing him. I've had my fair share of near misses and usually fob them off but this really annoyed me.
    Anyway I got the reg and made a few calls, turns out it was a van rented out to the council. I got on to the council and filled out a generic complaint form, is this enough or should I report it to the gardai. I would be happy enough to leave it with the council if I knew they would follow it up properly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

which council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

DCC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jnealon wrote: »
    is this enough or should I report it to the gardai. I would be happy enough to leave it with the council if I knew they would follow it up properly

Normally yes, but it was your kid, full parental outrage is completely acceptable.

DCC

Once watched DCC workers in a van, abuse a mother and child in a cargo bike. They weren't even in the vans way. The abuse was horrendous, although short lived. They got stuck in traffic not to far down the road. The whole incident on camera, good pictures of their faces, reg of the van. Time of day, location. I could not even get a response of them. I regret never going to the Gardai with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DCC
    you should get a response within three working days, which may just be an acknowledgment of your complaint, but may have detail on where it is being forwarded within the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,541 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Twice he has overtaken me going up Kill Ave, just about brushing past me as he goes. Today was exceptionally close, I reckon if I'd stuck my right elbow out he would have clipped it.
    Suggestion: Do stick out your right elbow, or your right hand/arm and knock on the window or wing mirror - and when he stops and shouts at you for 'hitting' his car, you will have the chance to explain that if you can reach his car, he is way, way too close.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Once watched DCC workers in a van, abuse a mother and child in a cargo bike. They weren't even in the vans way. The abuse was horrendous, although short lived. They got stuck in traffic not to far down the road. The whole incident on camera, good pictures of their faces, reg of the van. Time of day, location. I could not even get a response of them. I regret never going to the Gardai with it.

THat's dreadful, really dreadful. I'd be very tempted to go public or take it to a Councillor or two - whatever it takes to get some action taken.

• Advertisement

THat's dreadful, really dreadful. I'd be very tempted to go public or take it to a Councillor or two - whatever it takes to get some action taken.
    In the end I tweeted them with a pic and video, no reaponse. Alas it was ew years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,541 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In the end I tweeted them with a pic and video, no reaponse. Alas it was ew years ago.

I'd have hoped that with the fairly active Dublin cycling community on Twitter these days, it would be let go if it happened today.

twitter probably wasn't included in the official complaints process. certainly not back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

twitter probably wasn't included in the official complaints process. certainly not back then.

It is included in the force's PR mode, I suspect - if a lot of people are criticising a garda action on Twitter etc, it has an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Seem to have encountered a lot more recently.

This one gets my goat though...it's a guy who is in the same apartment block. Twice he has left at the same time as me:

I'm tempted to leave a note on his car, or confront him (reasonably) next time I see him getting in/out of it.
    Suggestion: Do stick out your right elbow, or your right hand/arm and knock on the window or wing mirror - and when he stops and shouts at you for 'hitting' his car, you will have the chance to explain that if you can reach his car, he is way, way too close.
    He's a neighbour. You don't want to start out with a confrontation. Talk to him in the car park before he gets in the car. Explain in a friendly way before the red mist of driving descends...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chuchote wrote: »
    It is included in the force's PR mode, I suspect - if a lot of people are criticising a garda action on Twitter etc, it has an effect.

Shortly after IBikeDublin's visit to O'Connell the wands have magically returned.

DHMExL7WAAEAOkN.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ED E wrote: »
    Shortly after IBikeDublin's visit to O'Connell the wands have magically returned....
    They've been back a while now. The Luas roadworks across the road (which necessitated narrowing of the street) have been completed.

They've been back a while now. The Luas roadworks across the road (which necessitated narrowing of the street) have been completed.

Really? People were complaining on Twitter that the works were finished but the wands weren't back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Really? People were complaining on Twitter that the works were finished but the wands weren't back?

Correct. They were only put back in over the weekend. As far as I remember they were not there last Friday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Luas twitter confirmed they'd just gone back in.

• Advertisement

bit of a near miss on the way home today, annoyed with myself because i was probably 50% to blame. we both went for a lane at the same time, both had to brake reasonably hard to avoid colliding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Not necessarily near miss related, but my GoPro hero5 session dismounted itself from the bike, after sitting solidly for 5 months, and smashed. Fairly pissed that it smashed from a 3ft drop, my iPhone has survived worse and this is meant to be top of the range “action” camera. Warranty does not cover physical damage even though the mount failed. :(

worth emailing them anyway to explain the situation.

It's often a matter of how things land. I met a guy with an iPhone - 5 I think it was, it's a while ago - which had fallen three feet onto a carpet and cracked from side to side.

Yeah my 3 year old regularly gets my phone from wherever ever I left it and is looking to phone mam to snitch on me or report something exciting, she's super clumsy with it. Yet the one time I drop it myself off the side of the desk the f'n screen cracks :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

worth emailing them anyway to explain the situation.

Yup, they pointed out straight away that physical damage is not covered but are asking for photos of camera, mounts, proof of purchase, etc, which is promising at least. From a quick search online it appears it’s not worth their while repairing as they’re an all-in-one unit, but some people have been given decent discounts (~40-50%) as a good will gesture.

(sorry to derail thread)

It's often a matter of how things land. I met a guy with an iPhone - 5 I think it was, it's a while ago - which had fallen three feet onto a carpet and cracked from side to side.
    reminds me of something from years ago - i knew a few people in dramsoc in UCD and they were putting on a play which had a scene involving a mug being smashed. so the cafe (hilpers?) gave them a load of old mugs for rehearsals and the performances.
    they discovered that the mugs would break accidentally, but not on purpose - they simply bounced if you threw them to the floor, but knock one off a desk and it'd shatter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Danbo! wrote: »
    Yup, they pointed out straight away that physical damage is not covered but are asking for photos of camera, mounts, proof of purchase, etc, which is promising at least. From a quick search online it appears it’s not worth their while repairing as they’re an all-in-one unit, but some people have been given decent discounts (~40-50%) as a good will gesture.

(sorry to derail thread)

GoPro support is some of the best in the tech industry. They replaced my damaged camera after the clips broke off the housing. (GoPro Hero, where the case and camera were combined). So hopefully they will offer something!

The best camera I've ever had is the contour roam 2. You could throw that thing off the roof of your house and I bet it would survive.

Back OT, had a number of incidents in my commute home yesterday and into work yesterday. People following the leader on poor roads and passing dangerously. I dread the schools starting back, that's when the real fun begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

it looked like there was a cyclist down by busaras this morning around 9:15, at that kind of triangular area as you're heading back towards the quays. a light truck / large van was pulled in too and numerous fire engines and an ambulance. fingers crossed for positive news - i'm hoping that the fact that the road wasn't closed off means it's not too serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Got clipped by a taxi after crossing the bridge at Heuston today, I was turning right, he failed to yield. I got a serious fright, felt very very close to going down infront of him but it ended up just clipping me with his bumper but hard enough that I have rubber marks on my trainer and trouser leg.

He stopped, seemed pretty shook too, apologised said he didn't see me (despite hi vis) and that he never yields at that junction?!? I'm grand bike is grand so didn't really know what I could do other than let him on his way....

I've had more near misses in the past few months than the past 6 years, really putting me off cycling even tho I only go a short distance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement