Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

This week is a down week for me.

Monday: Decided to run home from the mothers house, much to the amusement of my sisters who have never seen me run or wear a pair of shorts.
    I went the long way, taking in some memories of my youth including Poppintree park (Poppintree Utd), Johnstown Park (Tolka Rovers), Botanic Gardens (close to 1st Off Licence that served me :) ), Grave diggers (formative years drinking), Harts Corner (haircuts there!!) - before turning up onto the Canal, turning at Ashtown and doing a lap of the PP before heading home.

13.38 Miles @ 7:30/mile

Tuesday: Off - flew into Edinburgh with the family for a few days.

Wednesday: Exploring a bit of Edinburgh - went to HolyRood Park where the XC is held - ran up a long hill that was close to Arthurs seat and then back to the hotel via a uTurn as I was going the wrong way.

5.68 @ 7.49

Thursday:
    After my view of Arthurs seat yesterday - I persuaded my family to go an a walk - we reached the top of Arthurs seat as a family. A family who were not talking - but as a family. - I tried to tell them that this would be a memory they would have for years - wasn't going down well.

Set off for a run later on while the ladies shopped - the reward for their hike :) - taking PaulieYifters advice from Strava, I took off to Leith - but couldn't locate the Leith water walk. I ran instead across town to Lizzy & her families boat - not very impressive I must say - and then back along the Leith Walk - which was much more impressive.
    Think of a huge metropolitan area that has a series of laneways built into them covered with trees that are multi directional and so well signposted - kinda like the canal runs here without the water.

5.57 @ 7.50

Friday: Afternoon drinks and a short flight home for midnight.

Saturday: Parked on the Furze and done a small circle of 7 miles including 10x 20s strides.

7.05 miles.

Sunday: Although it was my down week - I wanted to do a Marathon Paced session as I'd miss 1 of them due to races in the coming weeks.
    The scheduled run as 1E+8MP+1T+2MP.

I discounted this as I wanted to do 16 miles today and didn't think I'd be able for a continuous set of MP mileage after a week on the beer.
    I decided on 4/3/2 miles at MP + 1 mile at Tempo - for a total of 10 miles work. with the 4/3/2/1 mins recovery and warm up / cool down - it came to 16 miles.

Despite my planning of routes and alternative routes, I made up my route from the word go. A 2m warm up beside my house - the 4m including Porterstown Parkrun course - during which I decided to run across to Hartstown Parkrun course and do that.
    On the final mile in Hartstown - I done the tempo mile - came in at 6:12 so happy with that.

Splits were:
    4 miles: 6:40/6:37/6:28/6:30
    3 miles: 6:30/6:34/6:38
    2 miles: 6:24 / 6:37
    1 mile: 6:12

16m @ 7:10 pace ave. & very happy with that.

Straight from this to bring the oldest girl to the U17 Dub Dev squad trials and then onto watch my younger girl play up for the U16's.

A good but tiring day.

47.6 miles for the week

Monday:
    AM: Easy run to Porterstown - a big lap and then back home.

4.24m @ 8.16 pace

PM: A few miles around the PP and then into 10x20s strides.

5.8m

10 for the day

Tuesday: JD Session 6x1200 - 3 mins

I had planned this originally for Wednesday - but GAA getting in the way again, meant it had to be Tuesday.
    Took me an age to eventually get out the door - I hadn't committed to this in the way I normally did.

Due to the breeze I went up to Porterstown to hopefully get some protection from it - there was a lot going on up there - great to see, but not great for these sort of sessions.

After the 1st 2 reps - I nearly threw in the towel - they felt harder than they should have done. I started the mind games early enough saying that I'd only do 4 reps - 4800 of work was a good enough session.
    I got the 3rd done in a super fast time due to a stupid paced 1st 600 - I done the 4th on the now empty grass track of MSB - my God - it was tough on the lumpy surface and 3 straights into the wind.

Decided to try a 5th rep - I'd leave it after that.

After the 5th rep - I said I'd do 1 more but split it between an interval session and a tempo - ended up doing the 6th rep as an interval - as I knew I would.

The last 300 of 4 reps were up an incline and into the wind - made for a very tough last 300m

Target time per rep: 4:14

Actual time per rep: 4:15 / 4:18 / 4:08 / 4:13 / 4:20 / 4:17

Times are sightly slower than the last time I done this workout a month ago - but the wind alone would've added these seconds on plus the tired legs from Sunday - so happy enough that I seen out the session.

8.4m for the day with WU/CD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Top class mind games there A - love it :D

Wed: Easy miles with 8x20 sec strides.

6.85m Total.

Thursday: An easy 5m before heading out to Punchestown with the work crew. Done quite well out there too!
    A lot of standing though - was on my feet from 2pm til after 8 - seats at a premium. A number of pints during the day too :)

5m@7.58

Friday:
    I didn't want to do a session today as the legs were so tired from the previous day and the head was tired too ;).

However - the weather Gods were showing a calm day on Friday and a windy day on Saturday. So a Session on Friday it was.

The plan was to 1st get my car from work in Leixlip. Run to train - run from train to work - drive to the PP.

2.8m for this bit :)

Down to the PP and the planned session was 3x2m (2 mins) + 4x200. (target was 12:18 for the 2m)

After a short warm up I set off from Castleknock Gate with a lap of the Furze and OS roads - finishing back near the gate.
    Rep1: 12:08

After a 2min walk/jog - I was off again - down the North road - turning at the GIR right turn bringing me to the Acres. 2nd mile was tough into a slight headwind.
    Rep 2: 12:09

Another 2min walk jog recovery and done the 3rd rep on the acres - felt strong here. Breeze wasn't too much of an issue.
    Rep 3: 12:00

Took about 3-4 mins and then went into the 4x200's

The 200's were shockingly fast - I scared myself on them - I dont think I have run faster ever.

36/32/33/32 seconds

Delighted with this session - the 2m Tempos went well - in hindsight this could be seen as similar to the 'best 10k workout' - so very happy with how it went knowing that there was more there - but I did need the 2 mins breaks.

12.8m for the day

Sat: busy GAA day - only managed 4m with strides quite late.

4.12m

Sunday: 1st club run in a few weeks and a good few turned up. Pretty strong 1st 6m at about 7:15 pace ave before we met up with the 8:45 group where the pace leveled out.

A group of us took a different route to inclue a hill by St Marys and spent a bit of time catching the group - coming around the Fort and again in catch up mode before settling in for a moderate set of 7:40's for the last few miles home.

16m@ 7:24 pace.

63.1m for the week - another good mileage week, given that I've had 7 GAA games to go to, visitors over from Asia in work, Punchestown and dog walking duties :)

231 - miles for the Month.

Looking forward to 2-3 races in May.

Thinking about the Navan 6k rather than Terenure now - still to decide. It might allow me the flexibility to do both the Bob Heffernan and Dunboyne 5m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Those 400s were shockingly fast alright. ;)

Great session.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Those 400s were shockingly fast alright. ;)

Great session.

Doh! My bad.

Monday: 2 runs again on Monday.

AM: 4.5m picking up the car - 8:07/mile

PM: Just over 4m around the park - felt a strange pressure on the shin area - inside left leg - didn't do any strides.
    Massage and stretching at home.

Tuesday: The leg felt fine today - no issues with it - strange, but a reminder to myself to look after the body a bit better.
    JD Session today: 7x3 mins. (2 min rec)

2.75m warm up down to the Acres - no strides 'cos I forgot.

Done all 7 reps around the Acres - there was a good breeze on 3 sides - not too sure how thats possible, but it is on the Acres.

1st rep was the toughest - should've done strides. 5th also tough as the breeze picked up. Last rep was with a tail wind for the entire rep.

Paces for each 3 min rep.
    5:40
    5:38
    5:41
    5:43
    5:32

Its amazing how you can be willing the finish to come on a 3 min rep in 5:40 - but be able to hold 5:50 pace for 4 miles in a recent race.

10.2 miles in total.

Wednesday:

felt tired today, got out for 6+ miles around the park - couldn't face going up the S-Bends, so I went out of the park and back in by park gate street. Thats how tired I felt. Didn't do strides.

6.32m @ 8:09/m

Thursday: took a well earned rest day. Done the back and front garden after work - brownie points awarded to me. :)

Friday:
    My plan for the coming few days had 2 meaty sessions in them.
    (1) 3mT 4x200 3mT
    (2) 10m @ MP

With Friday being a particulary windy day I reckoned it was safer to switch the workouts and do the MP stuff in the wind and the Tempo stuff on the forecasted calm day on Sunday.

Great plan. Lets do it.

I have done a few MP stuff in the past few weeks with 2 straight 10 milers at 6:50 pace.
    With the Dunboyne 4m, my Vdot changed and the MP pace is now 6:30.

A couple of weeks back I done 4/3/2/1 @ MP - so I reckoned with the strong wind, I'd break it up into 2x5m (3 mins) - thats still showing progression and is a meaty workout in itself.

The 1st 5m segment was tough into the wind in places, but it was also mostly downhill (if you call the North road in the PP a hill).
    I finished it quite strong and even considered not taking the break.
    1st 5m (6:33/6:29/6:31/6:25/6:28).

The 2nd 5m I knew would be tough - I knew it would be uphill but I thought the wind would be a tailwind.
    1st 3 miles were fine - even the Acres was manageable - I came out onto the S Bends and took advantage of the downhill - facing into the Upper Glen Road - now - that road turns gradually and as I was going up it, the wind was becoming a big issue. At the top, I had to take a 30 sec 'pause break' to catch my breath but set off again.
    The last mile was tough, across the trail by Mt Sackville school - into the wind - and I considered canning it but didn't, thankfully.
    2nd 5m (6:32/6:29/6:29/6:38/6:43)

Lay down in the sun for 5 mins afterwards, pretty happy with the effort before a 2m jog home.

14.3m @ 6:58 pace ave

* Note for future reference: Breeze was 30-35k - I could have done the 2x3m T session with the right route.

Saturday: legs felt grand on Sat, I done a few easy miles along the trails in the park and finished off with some strides on the Furze. Still quite breezy.

6:21m @ 8:31

Sunday:
    I was out on Sat night for a meal & a few social ones - nothing too hectic - but spent most of Sunday morning on the loo :( before eventually getting out.
    I had planned to do the 2x3m session but even on the warm up jog I didn't feel right - felt a bit lethargic and knew it would be tough.
    I jogged up to Hartstown Park and set off - after half a mile I knew 3m wouldn't be happening, so changed the session 1m T intervals.
    Managed 4 of them with some mind-games before deciding that enough was enough - the last rep was about 10mins at T pace rather than a mile. .

Don't really mind that the workout didn't happen - it was a key workout, but the positive I'm taking from this is that I still got close to 30mins at T pace & I'll be fresher going into the week and hopefully it'll lead to a stronger performance in Terenure.

4x1T (6:04/6:12/6:00/6:16)

10.22m @ 7.16 ave

56m for the week.

Great session Fri - was in the park late morning and the wind was certainly bracing.

"Pause break" - is this allowed? :)

Nice work.

• Advertisement

Monday - didn't do the usual 2 run Monday - opting for just 1 longer run.
    Plenty of Garda around Farmleigh for Charlies visit - I counted 27 or them along Whites road to just inside Whites Gate.

legs felt grand today - 10 good strides at the end.

9m.

Tuesday: JD Session 2x4min / 3x3min / 4x2min (off 3/2/1 mins recovery)

I had done this previously (finish was 2x2 as opposed to 4x2 today) and found it tough, but I think it was my 1st V02 session in a while.
    Parked on The Furze Road and ran down to the Acres - about 1.5m warm up with some strides along the way.

For the 1st time in a long time,I spent about 5-10 mins stretching before the session and the legs felt much better as a result.
    The session was on the path along the acres, so no protection from the wind - thankfully not as strong as previous days.
    Overall, the session went very well - the only difficulty I had was on the 1st rep and a couple of the 2min reps which were into a headwind.

Paces: Target: 5:40

4 mins: 5.35/5.32

3 mins: 5:32 / 5:25 / 5:38

2 mins: 5:44 / 5:36 / 5:41 / 5:23

Just over a mile back to the car.

JD advocates 75% rest for the 4 & 3 min reps - who am I to argue that 50% is a better number...........but I might reduce future recoveries.

8.6m for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Can't remember if you're actually doing Terenure as one of your 6 races in 7 weeks (or was that 7 races in 6 weeks??!) but if so best of luck!

Wednesday: Decided to bring the dog for a walk rather than run - then brought the wife for dinner......on a wednesday. Major brownie points..........

Thursday: 6m@8.09 pace on the trails of PP. Lovely run listening to Jason McAteer on OTB - great interview.

Friday: 4.5m including 4x200/1x400/1x200 - nice little sharpener.

Saturday: 30min easy inc 6-7 strides. 3.5m total.

Sunday: Terenure 5m Race

The day started early as my oldest made the U17 Dublin Dev squad - as a result they've started training on Sundays at 8am!! At least I got an early breakfast :)

I had a relaxed approach to this race - which makes a big change to the race anxiety I was feeling last year.
    Left the house for Terenure at about 10 - parking was grand and I set off for a 2m warmup around Bushy Park, including some strides. Back to the start line and was a few rows back - which suited my plan for a slowish start.

I had harboured some thoughts of a low 29's performance - based on my Dunboyne 4m time and recent good training.
    However, the aim was sub30.

As we started I noted that the breeze was a tailwind - so it would be in our face on the other side - so I curtailed my plan for a slow start and decided to bank a few seconds. Mile 1 was 5:49.
    I passed raycun somewhere on the 1st mile, but could still hear him getting a few shouts just behind me.
    I remember being quite thirsty at this point - the heat was playing its part too.

Turned at the corner and made what turned out to be my 1st mistake. I tried to catch the group ahead, but didn't catch them, so I felt I was in no mans land into a headwind. Effort levels rising - felt like it was a drag instead of being flat.
    Mile 2 finished in 5:57.

Mile 3 was a real battle and I considered DNF'ing - the effort levels were outrageous for 2.5m into a 5m race and I was barely keeping 6min/mile pace - which I have ran numerous tempos at this pace in the past few weeks. The wind was a pain for the 1st half of this mile, and then we turned the corner onto the long straight and I had a tail wind.
    Rather than try to up the pace, I just used the long straight to recover and beat away those DNF demons.
    Mile 3 was 6:04 and a real battle for this 6:04.

Looking at my garmin profile, mile 4 was a tale of 2 halves - the 1st half on the long straight with a tail wind - the 2nd half after the turn into the wind. $hit - I hate this road. I hated it last year and I hate it this year.
    It must be the hilliest flat road on the planet :) Mile 4 was 6:03.

At this stage, raycun comes ambling by, looking fairly relaxed. B'stard. :) (he went on to record a super time)
    It was the best thing that could have happened as I dont think I'd been passed in the whole race upto this point - it gave me something to chase as sub30 was surely gone.
    A couple more people pass and I dig deep to keep with them.

I pass them out as I keep on pushing and we turn onto the home straight. The longest home straight in history - about a half mile.
    In my head sub 30 is gone. The aim is to get close to 30 - have a tale to tell about losing 4-5 seconds.
    I'm pushing hard but the legs are not responding.

Then I see the finish line....whats that, cant be right.........its ticking by and I see it 29:32....29:33.......29:34...

No way I say - elated - I push, the body lets me surge, knowing the finish is soon and I cross the line.
    Mile 5 5:52 (0.97m)

I finish in 29:46. Finishing 52nd position and 7th M40.

On finishing I'm delighted with the time, given how I felt and given the fact that I thought I'd no chance of sub 30.
    Speaking to a few others, they felt similar about the conditions, both the heat and the wind played their part in making it more uncomfortable than it should have been.

Great to meet with a few old familiar faces too - Digger, CL and baby - all looking very well.

Onwards & upwards - next decision point is to do Bob Heffernan or not.

Nice opener to your series of races A - no doubt you'll kick on from here too. I said it to some of the other lads racing yesterday, I really would not have fancied my chances racing in the warm\windy conditions.

Excellent! Yesterday's wind was ridiculous swirling in all directions :rolleyes: like DD I was not envious of anyone running in those conditions, well done. What's the goal for Dunboyne if sub 30 was yesterdays? Sub 29?

Excellent! Yesterday's wind was ridiculous swirling in all directions :rolleyes: like DD I was not envious of anyone running in those conditions, well done. What's the goal for Dunboyne if sub 30 was yesterdays? Sub 29?

Jaysus woman, your raving :pac:

If conditions are good, then I might just finish it.
    :P

• Advertisement

Right :D I'll make sure to have some sandbags ready for your post race refreshments so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Pretty much how I felt Mile for mile.... congrats on the sub 30 and digging in at the end....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Love that report, makes me feel so much better (and eh much slower too).

Well done, great time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well done going out hard enough and hanging on in a relatively warm and humid day. Nice time.

quick feet wrote: »
    Pretty much how I felt Mile for mile.... congrats on the sub 30 and digging in at the end....

Cheers - its pretty much how everyone felt I think. The hard part is keeping it going til the end. Thankfully I didnt give into the demons.
    annapr wrote: »
    Love that report, makes me feel so much better (and eh much slower too).

Well done, great time

On the other side, I'm in envy of you as you had to endure the conditions for longer than I did. Fair play to you for that. (I mean that respectfully).
    Singer wrote: »
    Well done going out hard enough and hanging on in a relatively warm and humid day. Nice time.

Cheers - it was pretty windy but didn't think about the impact of the heat til I read anna's report and it resonated with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hard fought and very well deserved. Well done, A! Delighted for ya :)

Add about 56 secs per mile, take away the strong finish, and I could cut and paste this as my own report. Well done!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Add about 56 secs per mile, take away the strong finish, and I cut cut and paste this as my own report. Well done!

I read my report from last year and it was scarily similar to this years - albeit slower.

Something about that course...............

Monday: Nice few miles around the PP - Legs very tired - all on grass.

8m at 8min/miles

Tuesday: another meander around the park - nice pace, keeping it easy and all on grass.
    6.5m@8.02

Wednesday: I've a stag this weekend in Galway (a late entry), so wont get a long run in, I had planned another easy run today, so added a few miles in to it.
    Legs still tired today and got tireder as I went on - although notably, the pace was quicker.

Listened to S-Town - only through the 1st chapter, but its kinda weird listening to it - still has me downloading Ch 2.

Passed 1000 miles tonight - a few days earlier than last year.

12m @ 7.46

Thursday: Legs feeling some semblance of normality, although a bit tired from yesterdays 12 - it was a different kinda tired.
    done a few miles around the Furze and the Acres and then back to the path outside Farmleigh, where I done 10x20s strides and a few stretches.

6.52m

At this stage :) - I've decided not to do the Bob Heffernan - so my next race will be on May 30th - BHAA 5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Nice running in Terenure

Friday: The planned session for week 1 phase 4 in the JD 3rd edition was 3x2 @ Tempo - But I've been eyeing the sessions in the 2nd edition (same week of phase 4) and it was a tempo with some stuff - which I think I needed.

The planned session was 2x2T / 3x800 interval / 3x400 Reps.

Ran down to the PP and done some strides and stretching and set off on the 1st 2mT, which brought me to the Ambassadors Res - a 2 min recovery and off on the 2nd 2m Tempo. Back up Chesterfield and a lap of the OS and Furze.

Took 2 mins recovery and started on the 800's - all on the OS/Furze loop.
    1st 800 was tough but the next 2 went smooth (tough but smooth :) ) - 2 min recoveries on these.

The 400's were done with full recoveries and went fine - on the last one, I tried to simulate the closing stages of a race - pumping the arms etc.

Times:
    2mile Tempo: Target: 12:18 - Actual = 12:06 / 12:06

800m: Target: 2:50 - Actual = 2:47 / 2:45 / 2:45

400m: Target 79 - Actual = 79/79/71

With WU & CD run came to 11.4miles.

Saturday: Recovery run around the PP watching the road race.
    6m @ 8:35

Off to Galway for a stags - no running Sunday.

Weekly total: 50.4m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

400m: Target 79 - Actual = 79/79/71

:eek:

MisterDrak wrote: »
    :eek:

I rounded down tbh :)

Monday:
    AM - 4.1m @ 8 min miles - sweating the alcohol out of me from the weekend.
    PM - Met a former clubmate, now with Cru and we done a few miles together - also done 4x20 sec high knees and 6x15s hill sprints. Nice to get those drills in rather than the strides. - 8.2m

Days Total: 12.3m

Tuesday: JD Session: 20 mins Tempo / 3x400 / 2x1m Tempo
    I chose the 2nd Ed workout again today as it was tougher and I wanted this to be my last BIG workout prior to the Dunboyne 5m - 7 days from now. Even though it was a tough one on paper, I wanted to make it a tad tougher with the last mile done at 5m pace (or faster).

I jogged down to the PP and done a few strides and stretches and set off on the 20m T - Pace was fairly consistent but was working very hard on mile 2 into the wind and then for the last couple of mins as I turned back up C'Field.

20 mins at 6:03 pace - 6 secs per mile too fast - but I didn't mind - it was net downhill and I felt good.

Took 3 mins recovery and was ready for the 400's - there would be no heroics today with these as I had 2 miles following this. The 400's were completed in 77/79/80 (target 79).

I took 3 mins again before the next section - a 1m Tempo in 6:07 and a 1 min recovery before the last mile repeat.

For the last mile repeat - I had in my head to run it at 5m pace or faster - but at this stage I was wrecked as it was so hot out and the sweat was dripping off me.
    However, once I set off I found myself holding 5:45's and a tad faster at times and finished it with a 5:46 average - I'd be happy with that at a 5km never mind a 5m!!

Sat down for about 5mins following this wondering if I'd made the wise choice in not running the Bob Heffernan 5k and doing this workout instead - this certainly felt tough with close on 6 miles of hard work.

2.5m jog home and 11m for the day.

Summary
    20 min T: 6:03 pace
    3x400: 77/78/79 (full 400 recovery)
    2x1m: 6:07 / 5:46 (1 min recovery)

Wednesday: tired 5m jaunt around the PP hotspots.
    Plenty on display out there...............obviously I'm speaking about the Bloom set up, the deer and the set up for the Staff Relay :p

5m @ 8:30 pace

Thursday: I had planned a rest day, but it was just too nice out, so I headed out again for an up & down Chesterfield loop.
    The 1st 2 miles were terrible slow as I felt sluggish and wondered if Tuesdays workout had killed me altogether.

I turned at the zoo, took off the top and felt like a new man with the slight breeze in my face.

I zoomed back up C'Field, feeling like a gazelle but probably looking like a middle aged hippo with a farmers tan and flies plastered all over his belly :D

Finished off with 6 20s strides by farmleigh - I coulda swore I seen a 3 as the starting number on the garmin at one stage.

10 mins leering stretching and I was off home.

6m @ 7:58

Friday & Saturday: Planned rest days with Dunboyne (Goal race 1of3) due on Tuesday.

Sunday: The ickle bigger girl is on the U17's Dub Dev Squad (GAA) - henceforth referred to as DDS - and they arranged training out in Rush for 8am on Sunday morning :(

So, up at 7am - quick brekkie and off to Rush - I let her off and drive to Skerries for a few miles and strides.

My image of Skerries is very skewered - I have old memories of myself and my Dad out there collecting winkles off the giant rocks by the tower. (Yes - those rocks are quite small, but back then..................)

My other image of Skerries is of the beach and town filled with Dubs (.........no, real Dubs), littering the place to bits, full of drunkards and chippies.

So - getting there on a beautiful Sunday morning at 8:15, seeing the tranquil town was great. Its a beautiful spot when its quiet.
    I ran from the car park down the beach and back, deciding to run on to the other part of Skerries (the West part) that I hadn't seen. On my way, I passed an old guy in a wheel chair being interviewed on the street by a TV crew - I thought it was to do with the recent tragedy there, but on my way back, the crew were finishing up and I heard someone shout "Arse, Drink,Women, Feck" as I ran by :):).

Completed the run with 6x30sec strides at >mile pace.

5.4m and 40 for the week.

Monday: 4.5m inc 6x20sec strides.

• Advertisement

What's the goal for Dunboyne if sub 30 was yesterdays? Sub 29?

Who's raving now!!!! Hope the PB beers are going down well, super work A, you might have to change your username to Fast Man King :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Where are these PB bears? Are they dangerous?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Where are these PB bears? Are they dangerous?

Very dangerous, especially to people who point out other peoples mistakes in public :D I believe you had a PB too tonight? Well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Very dangerous, especially to people who point out other peoples mistakes in public :D I believe you had a PB too tonight? Well done.

You cant edit your post at this stage. Now I look like a crazy person.

adrian522 wrote: »
    You cant edit your post at this stage. Now I look like a crazy person.

Yes, yes you do. Well done to all the PB bears!

I love this race. It’s the only race I’ve ran every year for the last 5 years, and if memory serves me right, its generally ran in sunshine.

I had targeted this race as a goal race early on – I would be well into phase 4 (Comp phase) of the JD plan but I still had reservations if I could better my PB – 29:13 – set on a near perfect racing performance in 2015.
    My recent 5m time from a few weeks back in Terenure was 29:46 – at a minimum, I was looking to take 20 secs off that.

I had the added incentive today of having my wife for company – she’s shown a healthy interest in my running recently and wanted to see what all the fuss was about in Dunboyne with the ‘after party’.

I had a decent warm up and got the 1st indications of how good I felt during the 1st lap of the warm up on the track as I felt I was doing 9 min/miles but was closer to 7 min/miles.
    I felt good as I changed my race week routine and hadn’t done a workout in the past 7 days but had done a good few strides. I also took 2 days off Fri/Sat.

I was doing strides and done 3 of them – for some reason I didn’t feel the need for them – it was quite warm and I was starting to feel very confident – despite the jokes with DD prior to the race about the heat, the wind and the hills.

I took my place with a quick hello to some familiar faces (Adrian/Yaboya/Fletch) and we were off fairly lively.

From speaking to Fletch prior to the race I knew he was targeting high 28’s – so I wanted to keep him in my sights for the 1st couple of miles.
    After a few hundred meters I realised I hadn’t started my watch – I momentarily thought about not starting it, but wanted to watch the pace as it was very hot and I was worried it would inadvertently drop.

1st mile was 5:44 (there or there abouts, givent he watch issues) – I thought it might be too quick, but it felt ok – breathing was good and the body felt good – lets keep it going.
    There was a good group of us at this stage and I could see Fletch about 20m ahead.

Over the next mile, I picked out some targets and over took them, keeping the pace controlled – maybe a bit fast on mile 2 as it came in at 5:39.

Into the 3rd mile and there was a few of us being led by Yaboya, who tried a few surges to the group in front (fletchs group) – but they were too far ahead and I knew better than to try to go with them as the heat was beginning to kick in.

Towards the end of mile 3 I notice the general pace starting to slow – I’m prepared for this as I had looked at the times from my last races here and also OP who ran well last year – the 4th mile is ALWAYS the slowest for some reason.
    Mile 3 was 5:49 but the pace was in the 6's at the start of mile 4.

Yaboya had fallen back slightly and I was working with a guy in a Tallaght 5k top (I later seen on Strava it was P FitzP) – the two of us were pushing each other.
    I seen the pace drop and pushed on – striving to keep it under 6 min/miles – P Fitz beckoned me fwds a couple of times but I was struggling at this stage.

The demons were present at this stage, but I knew I had given too much to the early miles and the 4th mile was a ‘known’ tough mile – all other times I’ve raced this my 5th mile has been faster than the 4th – so that kept me going. That and the fact that my wife was at the entrance to the track for the finish .

Mile 4 came in at 5:59 – our group was down to a few people at this stage – maybe 3-4 – I daren’t look around.
    I ran under a water hose that was very welcome – we could hear the commentator at this stage. The end is near. I'm performing mind games at this stage - "only a few mins to the track entrance" etc etc.

No one immediately ahead of us to chase – it was a case of keeping it going. A quick glance of the watch showed a 5:4x pace – lets keep that going and a PB may be on the cards I was thinking – possibly a 29:10 as I was doing the maths to pass the time and keep the mind from the pain.

We were passing parked cars and I knew it was close to the finish – P Fitz was still with me at this stage – 800m to go sign came into view – 2 laps of the track – less than 1 lap of the polo grounds.

The aim was to keep the pace and push on the track – theres something about finishing on a track that makes you want to sprint.

We came into the club house car park and I was scanning to see my wife – there she was, got the shout out – passed by P Fitz and kept going – there was 1 guy ahead of me as I turned to the back straight – can I catch him?

I tried to up the pace – pumping the arms, but there wasn’t too much left in me. About 60m to go and another guy comes streaming past me wtf – the only time I’m passed in the race since the 1st mile.
    No idea if I caught the other guy or not as the clock came into view and I see the 1st 2 numbers showing ‘28’.

I’m amazed at this – I can’t comprehend that – 28:4x and its counting down – I push hard over the last 30-40m and cross the line.
    5th mile in 5:42.

28:53 Official time – 40th place and 6th O40 – A PB by 20 seconds.

Strangely – there was no dry wretch – tiredness, but no wretching – maybe the lack of the real high octane sprint finish helped :p

Delighted with the result – never in a million years did I think I’d be under 29 mins.

P Fitz and the guy who passed me on the home straight both come over to me and we thank each other for the help over the race – it’s a great sport really.

Fletch finished in 28:14 – great result by him.
    Yaboya had a great PB, followed by Adrian with another PB – a difficult day at the office for DD – but he’s too good a runner to let it bother him – he’ll be back kicking my ass soon enough.
    Luke had the performance of the night with a 12th place finish.

Strava told me later that I had ran a 17:52 5k in the race - another 14 secs to a PB.

We warmed down with The Claw – who is seemingly best buddies with DD – great to hear his stories from this race and Terenure.

Back to the HQ for the famous grub – nice to see the group and AGYG was present having ‘jogged’ around the course. My wife enjoyed the company - she's yet to meet a runner who is an ar$ehole.

PB beers at home were a welcome finis to a great evening.

Did I mention I went sub 29??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That's a fantastic time, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

That's a super result, great racing.

Super stuff A - you overcame a race with killer hills, heat, humidity, gales and a long course to somehow nail a big PB, astonishing really

( but seriously, well done - delighted for you man)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You're getting better and better auld lad, very impressive

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Congratulations! Super racing!!!

Brilliant racing and PB, well done! And cooling down with the Claw*, sure that must have been the highlight of your evening :)

*and DD of course

annapr wrote: »
    Brilliant racing and PB, well done! And cooling down with the Claw*, sure that must have been the highlight of your evening :)

*and DD of course

I was speaking to DD prior to the race when the Claw comes over to him to say hello, imagine that.

I kept nudging DD to let him know I was still there, but his eyes were locked onto the Claws (through the shades) - there was something going on there........a magnetism of sorts. I just quietly left to do my strides - I could hear their laughter in the background.

Then after the race as we (me, luke, DD, Yaboya) were going on a cool down, we exit the track and there's the claw outside - he makes a dash from his girlfriend asks DD if he's doing a cool down and we proceed to wait for him. Must have kept us 30 mins waiting, no word of a lie, but DD wouldn't move on without him.

They stayed shoulder to shoulder, stride for stride - laughing and frolicking like little sheep at each others jokes - the banter was flying between them.

Towards the end, it was getting slightly nauseating, I had enough and made my excuses and left.

But when the claw left later on, DD was all over me & Yaboya........

Bloody user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Super running and report!

Great race A. Great cooldown too. :Lol:

• Advertisement

I was speaking to DD prior to the race when the Claw comes over to him to say hello, imagine that.

I kept nudging DD to let him know I was still there, but his eyes were locked onto the Claws (through the shades) - there was something going on there........a magnetism of sorts. I just quietly left to do my strides - I could hear their laughter in the background.

Then after the race as we (me, luke, DD, Yaboya) were going on a cool down, we exit the track and there's the claw outside - he makes a dash from his girlfriend asks DD if he's doing a cool down and we proceed to wait for him. Must have kept us 30 mins waiting, no word of a lie, but DD wouldn't move on without him.

They stayed shoulder to shoulder, stride for stride - laughing and frolicking like little sheep at each others jokes - the banter was flying between them.

Towards the end, it was getting slightly nauseating, I had enough and made my excuses and left.

Bloody user.

I've re-read this 5 or 6 times now and I'm still laughing !!

Wednesday: Got down to the PP after work unsure what distance I'd run. Decided to do a slow'ish MLR and very enjoyable it was too. Legs not too bad.

10m @ 8:21 pace

I finish May with 211 miles - which incidentally is 1 mile less than May '16 :)

I'm happy with how May has gone, with 2 races, both hitting my set targets (Sub 30 in Terenure and a PB in Dunboyne........did I ever mention I went Sub 29? ).

Thursday:
    Legs feeling a lot better than they did after Terenure (which took me an age to recover from) - so I set out on a trail run in the PP - keeping the pace easy. Follow it up with 6x20s strides - legs feeling great on these.

6.7m

Friday: Here's where it starts getting a bit stupid.

The club have a hill run planned on Saturday, so I decide to do a session on Friday - 'cos the hillrun isn't a session, right?
    I look to the 2nd Edit JD plan and there's a nice little session planned for this week - so I go with that.

4x200 / 2x400 / 3x1mT / 1x1k / 4x200. (I pre-programmed the watch and also wrote it on my hand!!)

Due to the Dunboyne race, the one where I went Sub 29 :) , my VDOT has increased again - so the paces become more challenging - but they should also be doable as my ability in increasing, I try to reason with myself.

I run down to the PP, do a few strides and stretches and begin the workout - using the Furze and OS roads.

4x200: Target: 38 - Actual: 38/40/39/39 (200 jog recovery)

2x400: Target: 77 - Actual: 78/79 (400 Jog Recovery)

3x1m: Target: 6:03 - Actual: 5:57/6:03/6:01 (1 min Recovery)

1x1k: Target: 3:27 - Actual: 3:26 (5:33 pace)

4x200: Target: 38 - Actual: 37/37/37/34

Fairly rinsed after this - sweating buckets.

With the WU & CD it came to 10.72 miles.

Saturday: Club Hill Run

With the hill run due o Saturday, I thought it would be a good idea to have a few beers on Friday night to help with my rehydration from the session - all great practice and the sort of stuff you read in all the articles about how to train & recover properly :):)

Thankfully I was up early enough and we set off to Djouce - the coach advises us to take the steeper wooded part on the initial few miles and my heart was in my mouth straight away.

Its a constant battle all the way up - I walk the final piece as the legs just stopped working. I'm tasting beer in my spit. Lovely.
    That was a great way to prepare for the hill run. nice job there.

The descent is fantastic - 3 of us take off and we're probably a bit to fast as I felt the feet going in places, despite the trail shoes. On the Descent before the verticle ascent (on the way down for those who know Djouce) I take a tumble - not too much damage done, but the 'yelp' from me is one that I get reminded about a few times before I get home.

A great day out - overall about 8.5 miles.

Sunday: GAA tourism brought me to Innisfails GAA club - I used to play for these as a schoolboy many years ago. Nothings changed in the place.
    As my daughter trained away, I went for a nice meander to Malahide, back through the castle and back in time to pick her up.

Kept the pace easy and was pleasantly surprised at how the legs felt despite Fridays & Sat's exertions.

12m @8 min/miles

60.5 miles for the week - a great weeks training/racing/climbing.

Monday: 4m recovery in the PP

4.1@8:46.

This week sees me taper a bit for an attack at my 5k PB at the Patrick Bell 5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Just catching up here, savage running in Terenure. Well done chief!

Bloody user.

As for this, post of the year:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Hopelessly behind again!! but belated congrats on the sub 29. Great to see the training pay off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Alan,

Just catching up, and well done in Dunboyne, some time for an "Auld lad" :)

Them strides are doing the business, (and the other matter of a well executed training plan, lots for miles, and plenty of quality sessions)...

First time I missed the races in years :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement