Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Can't remember if you're actually doing Terenure as one of your 6 races in 7 weeks (or was that 7 races in 6 weeks??!) but if so best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Wednesday: Decided to bring the dog for a walk rather than run - then brought the wife for dinner......on a wednesday. Major brownie points..........

Thursday: 6m@8.09 pace on the trails of PP. Lovely run listening to Jason McAteer on OTB - great interview.

Friday: 4.5m including 4x200/1x400/1x200 - nice little sharpener.

Saturday: 30min easy inc 6-7 strides. 3.5m total.

Sunday: Terenure 5m Race

The day started early as my oldest made the U17 Dublin Dev squad - as a result they've started training on Sundays at 8am!! At least I got an early breakfast :)

I had a relaxed approach to this race - which makes a big change to the race anxiety I was feeling last year.
    Left the house for Terenure at about 10 - parking was grand and I set off for a 2m warmup around Bushy Park, including some strides. Back to the start line and was a few rows back - which suited my plan for a slowish start.

I had harboured some thoughts of a low 29's performance - based on my Dunboyne 4m time and recent good training.
    However, the aim was sub30.

As we started I noted that the breeze was a tailwind - so it would be in our face on the other side - so I curtailed my plan for a slow start and decided to bank a few seconds. Mile 1 was 5:49.
    I passed raycun somewhere on the 1st mile, but could still hear him getting a few shouts just behind me.
    I remember being quite thirsty at this point - the heat was playing its part too.

Turned at the corner and made what turned out to be my 1st mistake. I tried to catch the group ahead, but didn't catch them, so I felt I was in no mans land into a headwind. Effort levels rising - felt like it was a drag instead of being flat.
    Mile 2 finished in 5:57.

Mile 3 was a real battle and I considered DNF'ing - the effort levels were outrageous for 2.5m into a 5m race and I was barely keeping 6min/mile pace - which I have ran numerous tempos at this pace in the past few weeks. The wind was a pain for the 1st half of this mile, and then we turned the corner onto the long straight and I had a tail wind.
    Rather than try to up the pace, I just used the long straight to recover and beat away those DNF demons.
    Mile 3 was 6:04 and a real battle for this 6:04.

Looking at my garmin profile, mile 4 was a tale of 2 halves - the 1st half on the long straight with a tail wind - the 2nd half after the turn into the wind. $hit - I hate this road. I hated it last year and I hate it this year.
    It must be the hilliest flat road on the planet :) Mile 4 was 6:03.

At this stage, raycun comes ambling by, looking fairly relaxed. B'stard. :) (he went on to record a super time)
    It was the best thing that could have happened as I dont think I'd been passed in the whole race upto this point - it gave me something to chase as sub30 was surely gone.
    A couple more people pass and I dig deep to keep with them.

I pass them out as I keep on pushing and we turn onto the home straight. The longest home straight in history - about a half mile.
    In my head sub 30 is gone. The aim is to get close to 30 - have a tale to tell about losing 4-5 seconds.
    I'm pushing hard but the legs are not responding.

Then I see the finish line....whats that, cant be right.........its ticking by and I see it 29:32....29:33.......29:34...

No way I say - elated - I push, the body lets me surge, knowing the finish is soon and I cross the line.
    Mile 5 5:52 (0.97m)

I finish in 29:46. Finishing 52nd position and 7th M40.

On finishing I'm delighted with the time, given how I felt and given the fact that I thought I'd no chance of sub 30.
    Speaking to a few others, they felt similar about the conditions, both the heat and the wind played their part in making it more uncomfortable than it should have been.

Great to meet with a few old familiar faces too - Digger, CL and baby - all looking very well.

Onwards & upwards - next decision point is to do Bob Heffernan or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice opener to your series of races A - no doubt you'll kick on from here too. I said it to some of the other lads racing yesterday, I really would not have fancied my chances racing in the warm\windy conditions.

Excellent! Yesterday's wind was ridiculous swirling in all directions :rolleyes: like DD I was not envious of anyone running in those conditions, well done. What's the goal for Dunboyne if sub 30 was yesterdays? Sub 29?

Excellent! Yesterday's wind was ridiculous swirling in all directions :rolleyes: like DD I was not envious of anyone running in those conditions, well done. What's the goal for Dunboyne if sub 30 was yesterdays? Sub 29?

Jaysus woman, your raving :pac:

If conditions are good, then I might just finish it.
    :P

• Advertisement

Right :D I'll make sure to have some sandbags ready for your post race refreshments so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Pretty much how I felt Mile for mile.... congrats on the sub 30 and digging in at the end....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Love that report, makes me feel so much better (and eh much slower too).

Well done, great time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well done going out hard enough and hanging on in a relatively warm and humid day. Nice time.

quick feet wrote: »
    Pretty much how I felt Mile for mile.... congrats on the sub 30 and digging in at the end....

Cheers - its pretty much how everyone felt I think. The hard part is keeping it going til the end. Thankfully I didnt give into the demons.
    annapr wrote: »
    Love that report, makes me feel so much better (and eh much slower too).

Well done, great time

On the other side, I'm in envy of you as you had to endure the conditions for longer than I did. Fair play to you for that. (I mean that respectfully).
    Singer wrote: »
    Well done going out hard enough and hanging on in a relatively warm and humid day. Nice time.

Cheers - it was pretty windy but didn't think about the impact of the heat til I read anna's report and it resonated with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hard fought and very well deserved. Well done, A! Delighted for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Add about 56 secs per mile, take away the strong finish, and I could cut and paste this as my own report. Well done!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Add about 56 secs per mile, take away the strong finish, and I cut cut and paste this as my own report. Well done!

I read my report from last year and it was scarily similar to this years - albeit slower.

Something about that course...............

Monday: Nice few miles around the PP - Legs very tired - all on grass.

8m at 8min/miles

Tuesday: another meander around the park - nice pace, keeping it easy and all on grass.
    6.5m@8.02

Wednesday: I've a stag this weekend in Galway (a late entry), so wont get a long run in, I had planned another easy run today, so added a few miles in to it.
    Legs still tired today and got tireder as I went on - although notably, the pace was quicker.

Listened to S-Town - only through the 1st chapter, but its kinda weird listening to it - still has me downloading Ch 2.

Passed 1000 miles tonight - a few days earlier than last year.

12m @ 7.46

Thursday: Legs feeling some semblance of normality, although a bit tired from yesterdays 12 - it was a different kinda tired.
    done a few miles around the Furze and the Acres and then back to the path outside Farmleigh, where I done 10x20s strides and a few stretches.

6.52m

At this stage :) - I've decided not to do the Bob Heffernan - so my next race will be on May 30th - BHAA 5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Nice running in Terenure

Friday: The planned session for week 1 phase 4 in the JD 3rd edition was 3x2 @ Tempo - But I've been eyeing the sessions in the 2nd edition (same week of phase 4) and it was a tempo with some stuff - which I think I needed.

The planned session was 2x2T / 3x800 interval / 3x400 Reps.

Ran down to the PP and done some strides and stretching and set off on the 1st 2mT, which brought me to the Ambassadors Res - a 2 min recovery and off on the 2nd 2m Tempo. Back up Chesterfield and a lap of the OS and Furze.

Took 2 mins recovery and started on the 800's - all on the OS/Furze loop.
    1st 800 was tough but the next 2 went smooth (tough but smooth :) ) - 2 min recoveries on these.

The 400's were done with full recoveries and went fine - on the last one, I tried to simulate the closing stages of a race - pumping the arms etc.

Times:
    2mile Tempo: Target: 12:18 - Actual = 12:06 / 12:06

800m: Target: 2:50 - Actual = 2:47 / 2:45 / 2:45

400m: Target 79 - Actual = 79/79/71

With WU & CD run came to 11.4miles.

Saturday: Recovery run around the PP watching the road race.
    6m @ 8:35

Off to Galway for a stags - no running Sunday.

Weekly total: 50.4m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

400m: Target 79 - Actual = 79/79/71

:eek:

MisterDrak wrote: »
    :eek:

I rounded down tbh :)

Monday:
    AM - 4.1m @ 8 min miles - sweating the alcohol out of me from the weekend.
    PM - Met a former clubmate, now with Cru and we done a few miles together - also done 4x20 sec high knees and 6x15s hill sprints. Nice to get those drills in rather than the strides. - 8.2m

Days Total: 12.3m

Tuesday: JD Session: 20 mins Tempo / 3x400 / 2x1m Tempo
    I chose the 2nd Ed workout again today as it was tougher and I wanted this to be my last BIG workout prior to the Dunboyne 5m - 7 days from now. Even though it was a tough one on paper, I wanted to make it a tad tougher with the last mile done at 5m pace (or faster).

I jogged down to the PP and done a few strides and stretches and set off on the 20m T - Pace was fairly consistent but was working very hard on mile 2 into the wind and then for the last couple of mins as I turned back up C'Field.

20 mins at 6:03 pace - 6 secs per mile too fast - but I didn't mind - it was net downhill and I felt good.

Took 3 mins recovery and was ready for the 400's - there would be no heroics today with these as I had 2 miles following this. The 400's were completed in 77/79/80 (target 79).

I took 3 mins again before the next section - a 1m Tempo in 6:07 and a 1 min recovery before the last mile repeat.

For the last mile repeat - I had in my head to run it at 5m pace or faster - but at this stage I was wrecked as it was so hot out and the sweat was dripping off me.
    However, once I set off I found myself holding 5:45's and a tad faster at times and finished it with a 5:46 average - I'd be happy with that at a 5km never mind a 5m!!

Sat down for about 5mins following this wondering if I'd made the wise choice in not running the Bob Heffernan 5k and doing this workout instead - this certainly felt tough with close on 6 miles of hard work.

2.5m jog home and 11m for the day.

Summary
    20 min T: 6:03 pace
    3x400: 77/78/79 (full 400 recovery)
    2x1m: 6:07 / 5:46 (1 min recovery)

Wednesday: tired 5m jaunt around the PP hotspots.
    Plenty on display out there...............obviously I'm speaking about the Bloom set up, the deer and the set up for the Staff Relay :p

5m @ 8:30 pace

Thursday: I had planned a rest day, but it was just too nice out, so I headed out again for an up & down Chesterfield loop.
    The 1st 2 miles were terrible slow as I felt sluggish and wondered if Tuesdays workout had killed me altogether.

I turned at the zoo, took off the top and felt like a new man with the slight breeze in my face.

I zoomed back up C'Field, feeling like a gazelle but probably looking like a middle aged hippo with a farmers tan and flies plastered all over his belly :D

Finished off with 6 20s strides by farmleigh - I coulda swore I seen a 3 as the starting number on the garmin at one stage.

10 mins leering stretching and I was off home.

6m @ 7:58

Friday & Saturday: Planned rest days with Dunboyne (Goal race 1of3) due on Tuesday.

Sunday: The ickle bigger girl is on the U17's Dub Dev Squad (GAA) - henceforth referred to as DDS - and they arranged training out in Rush for 8am on Sunday morning :(

So, up at 7am - quick brekkie and off to Rush - I let her off and drive to Skerries for a few miles and strides.

My image of Skerries is very skewered - I have old memories of myself and my Dad out there collecting winkles off the giant rocks by the tower. (Yes - those rocks are quite small, but back then..................)

My other image of Skerries is of the beach and town filled with Dubs (.........no, real Dubs), littering the place to bits, full of drunkards and chippies.

So - getting there on a beautiful Sunday morning at 8:15, seeing the tranquil town was great. Its a beautiful spot when its quiet.
    I ran from the car park down the beach and back, deciding to run on to the other part of Skerries (the West part) that I hadn't seen. On my way, I passed an old guy in a wheel chair being interviewed on the street by a TV crew - I thought it was to do with the recent tragedy there, but on my way back, the crew were finishing up and I heard someone shout "Arse, Drink,Women, Feck" as I ran by :):).

Completed the run with 6x30sec strides at >mile pace.

5.4m and 40 for the week.

Monday: 4.5m inc 6x20sec strides.

• Advertisement

What's the goal for Dunboyne if sub 30 was yesterdays? Sub 29?

Who's raving now!!!! Hope the PB beers are going down well, super work A, you might have to change your username to Fast Man King :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Where are these PB bears? Are they dangerous?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Where are these PB bears? Are they dangerous?

Very dangerous, especially to people who point out other peoples mistakes in public :D I believe you had a PB too tonight? Well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Very dangerous, especially to people who point out other peoples mistakes in public :D I believe you had a PB too tonight? Well done.

You cant edit your post at this stage. Now I look like a crazy person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

adrian522 wrote: »
    You cant edit your post at this stage. Now I look like a crazy person.

Yes, yes you do. Well done to all the PB bears!

I love this race. It’s the only race I’ve ran every year for the last 5 years, and if memory serves me right, its generally ran in sunshine.

I had targeted this race as a goal race early on – I would be well into phase 4 (Comp phase) of the JD plan but I still had reservations if I could better my PB – 29:13 – set on a near perfect racing performance in 2015.
    My recent 5m time from a few weeks back in Terenure was 29:46 – at a minimum, I was looking to take 20 secs off that.

I had the added incentive today of having my wife for company – she’s shown a healthy interest in my running recently and wanted to see what all the fuss was about in Dunboyne with the ‘after party’.

I had a decent warm up and got the 1st indications of how good I felt during the 1st lap of the warm up on the track as I felt I was doing 9 min/miles but was closer to 7 min/miles.
    I felt good as I changed my race week routine and hadn’t done a workout in the past 7 days but had done a good few strides. I also took 2 days off Fri/Sat.

I was doing strides and done 3 of them – for some reason I didn’t feel the need for them – it was quite warm and I was starting to feel very confident – despite the jokes with DD prior to the race about the heat, the wind and the hills.

I took my place with a quick hello to some familiar faces (Adrian/Yaboya/Fletch) and we were off fairly lively.

From speaking to Fletch prior to the race I knew he was targeting high 28’s – so I wanted to keep him in my sights for the 1st couple of miles.
    After a few hundred meters I realised I hadn’t started my watch – I momentarily thought about not starting it, but wanted to watch the pace as it was very hot and I was worried it would inadvertently drop.

1st mile was 5:44 (there or there abouts, givent he watch issues) – I thought it might be too quick, but it felt ok – breathing was good and the body felt good – lets keep it going.
    There was a good group of us at this stage and I could see Fletch about 20m ahead.

Over the next mile, I picked out some targets and over took them, keeping the pace controlled – maybe a bit fast on mile 2 as it came in at 5:39.

Into the 3rd mile and there was a few of us being led by Yaboya, who tried a few surges to the group in front (fletchs group) – but they were too far ahead and I knew better than to try to go with them as the heat was beginning to kick in.

Towards the end of mile 3 I notice the general pace starting to slow – I’m prepared for this as I had looked at the times from my last races here and also OP who ran well last year – the 4th mile is ALWAYS the slowest for some reason.
    Mile 3 was 5:49 but the pace was in the 6's at the start of mile 4.

Yaboya had fallen back slightly and I was working with a guy in a Tallaght 5k top (I later seen on Strava it was P FitzP) – the two of us were pushing each other.
    I seen the pace drop and pushed on – striving to keep it under 6 min/miles – P Fitz beckoned me fwds a couple of times but I was struggling at this stage.

The demons were present at this stage, but I knew I had given too much to the early miles and the 4th mile was a ‘known’ tough mile – all other times I’ve raced this my 5th mile has been faster than the 4th – so that kept me going. That and the fact that my wife was at the entrance to the track for the finish .

Mile 4 came in at 5:59 – our group was down to a few people at this stage – maybe 3-4 – I daren’t look around.
    I ran under a water hose that was very welcome – we could hear the commentator at this stage. The end is near. I'm performing mind games at this stage - "only a few mins to the track entrance" etc etc.

No one immediately ahead of us to chase – it was a case of keeping it going. A quick glance of the watch showed a 5:4x pace – lets keep that going and a PB may be on the cards I was thinking – possibly a 29:10 as I was doing the maths to pass the time and keep the mind from the pain.

We were passing parked cars and I knew it was close to the finish – P Fitz was still with me at this stage – 800m to go sign came into view – 2 laps of the track – less than 1 lap of the polo grounds.

The aim was to keep the pace and push on the track – theres something about finishing on a track that makes you want to sprint.

We came into the club house car park and I was scanning to see my wife – there she was, got the shout out – passed by P Fitz and kept going – there was 1 guy ahead of me as I turned to the back straight – can I catch him?

I tried to up the pace – pumping the arms, but there wasn’t too much left in me. About 60m to go and another guy comes streaming past me wtf – the only time I’m passed in the race since the 1st mile.
    No idea if I caught the other guy or not as the clock came into view and I see the 1st 2 numbers showing ‘28’.

I’m amazed at this – I can’t comprehend that – 28:4x and its counting down – I push hard over the last 30-40m and cross the line.
    5th mile in 5:42.

28:53 Official time – 40th place and 6th O40 – A PB by 20 seconds.

Strangely – there was no dry wretch – tiredness, but no wretching – maybe the lack of the real high octane sprint finish helped :p

Delighted with the result – never in a million years did I think I’d be under 29 mins.

P Fitz and the guy who passed me on the home straight both come over to me and we thank each other for the help over the race – it’s a great sport really.

Fletch finished in 28:14 – great result by him.
    Yaboya had a great PB, followed by Adrian with another PB – a difficult day at the office for DD – but he’s too good a runner to let it bother him – he’ll be back kicking my ass soon enough.
    Luke had the performance of the night with a 12th place finish.

Strava told me later that I had ran a 17:52 5k in the race - another 14 secs to a PB.

We warmed down with The Claw – who is seemingly best buddies with DD – great to hear his stories from this race and Terenure.

Back to the HQ for the famous grub – nice to see the group and AGYG was present having ‘jogged’ around the course. My wife enjoyed the company - she's yet to meet a runner who is an ar$ehole.

PB beers at home were a welcome finis to a great evening.

Did I mention I went sub 29??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That's a fantastic time, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

That's a super result, great racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Super stuff A - you overcame a race with killer hills, heat, humidity, gales and a long course to somehow nail a big PB, astonishing really

( but seriously, well done - delighted for you man)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You're getting better and better auld lad, very impressive

TbL

Advertisement