Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

for now I've no intention of doing Cork - that was just a joke on my, at times, fickle nature and strong ability to change plan overnight.

:D :P

Yeah, I've no intention of doing Cork either.

See you at the start then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Monday: A light run down to the park and back a different way. Nice run - be lost without podcasts (and the headlamp :) )

7.8m@8:11 pace

Tuesday: I've been doing some S&C work each night for the last week or so - not loads, but doing a plank & pushups each day but throwing in other different exercises each day (Squats/calf raises/clams/ bridge etc).

Was feeling very flat after work - maybe its work thats tiring me :) - but considered not running.

So - as I didn't want to run, I done the only thing that was worthwhile doing - I went out for a few miles.

3.9m at 9min/miles including 7x15s strides. More S&C this evening.

Glad I ran.

Wednesday:

I had to WFH today and had a gap at lunch, so went out and done a decent session.
    I still want to do some long reps at this stage before I bring in 'real' speedwork'.

I chose a 10k workout that I've done a couple of times before - it works out at 7.6k worth of 'stuff'.
    2x(1600/1200/1000) off 3/2/2 mins.

The 2 mins after the 1000 and before the 2nd 1600 is tough.

I had done 2.3m down to the PP with some strides and set off on the reps along the Furze/OS roads.
    My Jebus - it was tough and there was no hiding place from the wind.
    I'm actually not sure how I completed it and not can it after a couple of reps.

rep 1: Paces
    1600: 5.57
    1200: 6:04 (4:32)
    1000: 6:07 (3:47)

Rep 2: Paces
    1600: 6:10
    1200: 6:06 (4:34)
    1000: 5:58 (3:41)

The reps are on the high side of what McMillian prescribes, but with the wind, I'm sure the effort was towards the lower end.
    Decent cool down back to the house into the wind :(.

Had a quick chat with YoungAnne who was flying down Chesterfield.

This session became my longest run since SS all those weeks ago - better get the lead out.

total mileage: 10.94 (I think my OCD is cured)

Thursday: This was a baltic run - so I wrapped up warm - even wore a snood. Ran down to the PP and done a small loop before coming home. Nice run.

7.7m @ 8:03

Friday: Well needed rest day.

Sat: As I'm not following a plan right now, I didn't know what sort of session to do.
    Feeling a bit tired this week, so any thoughts of a longer tempo were out the window.
    I decided to do a split tempo with some fast bits in between.

10mins T + 6x1min + 10mins T

After a 20min warm up, I started on the 1st 10 min section - starting at the monument in Chesterfield, going uphill - into the wind. Smart Guy.

I tried to hold the pace at 6:20 but it wasn't happening and I ended up stopping twice in the space of the 10mins for about 30secs each time.
    The pace for the 10 mins (minus the stops) was 6.25/mile
    Frustrated, I nearly canned the session and went home - but decided to try the 1min intervals on the Furze road.

They went well - I completed them all in 1 min exactly :):)
    about 5:40-45 pace for the all - 1min recovery.

So, I then decided to try the next 10min T section - I knew that it would take the full lap of the Furze/OS roads - so the wind would get me at some point.
    The 2nd rep went fantastic. Felt like a completely different person. The pace was 6:23mile.

Amazing how running goes.

8miles total

Sun:
    Was out on Sat night for a few social ones and ended up meeting people and staying later than we planned.

Missed the club run so decided to run through the PP to Phisboro and back up the Canal to Ashtown.
    The run went ok - I kept the pace light as the head felt a bit murkyer and the legs were a bit deader than normal.

Listened to 2nd Captains and a great interview by Richard Sadlier with Luke Fitzgerald.

10.6m @ 8.10 pace.

49 miles for the week.
    I dont think I've felt as tired ever in my life as I have been this week - maybe its just Christmas catching up with me? Maybe Wednesdays session was too high in volume right now. Maybe I am Auld??

I entered Raheny 5, so looking fwd to seeing what kind of race shape I'm in - I'm not expecting too much at this stage of the year.
    Be good to get a marker for the year.

Hopefully back with the club sessions on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

[QUOTE=AuldManKing;102283887
    I entered Raheny 5[/QUOTE]

I'm doing the numbers, so pop over and say hello.

I can add a few extra Mars Bars to your goody bag for the tiredness...

Wow - due an update.

Monday: Recovery paced run with some strides at the end. 4.9m @ 8:41

Tuesday: 6.2m around the area - 2nd day in a row where I wasn't in the PP - feels kinda dirty :)
    With my 1st Santry track session in a long time due on Wed, I wanted to keep the pace easy enough.

5x30s strides at the end.

6.4m @8:10

Wednesday: Track session - 2x800 / 2x400 / 2x800

Got a good 8-9 laps of the track done as a warm up and a bit of stretching before we got going on this one.
    I was a bit apprehensive as it was May16 when I last done a track session - as it transpired I needn't have worried.

The overall volume of the training was quite light - but I'd say it'll increase as the weeks progress.

800: 2.47
    800: 2.44
    400: 76
    400: 74
    800: 2.42
    800: 2.41

I wanted to run these within myself and not try to keep up with the faster lad who was there tonight - that said, I was within a second or two of him on most intervals.
    Kept active on all the recoveries.

6.5m in total inc WU/CD

Thursday:
    Endurance Thursday is something that worked for me last year - where I'd do a longish run the day after a session - this is somethng I read in Pfitzinger's book.
    In the past after a Track session, my next day would be a recovery run - I think I may have missed some gains here previously.
    Meant to be 10 miles - but kept it to 8 today.

Nicely knackered after it.

8.19m @ 7:49 pace.

Friday: Short recovery run in the park - legs very tired today. Done 4-5 strides to wake them up.
    Off for a night away with the Missus (dont tell the wife........)

4.2@8:37

Saturday:
    I missed the morning session and will probably do these sparingly throughout the year as I value tempos and race specific workouts rather than running at 'stupid pace' again.

The plan today was to do a PaulieYifter special, well, kinda.
    warm up - then 3mins@Tempo followed by 3mins @MP and repeat 6 times, continuous.

The first few I find it hard to dial in the pace - the MP reps were certainly too fast for the 1st couple.
    As the session progressed I found it easier keeping the MP reps to the specified target :)

On average the paces were:
    Tempo: 6:18
    MP: 6:46

Great session and 36mins of work (~5.5m) - amazing how MP feels easy as a recovery on these type of sessions.

Total: 9:08@ 6:58

Sunday
    Turned up at 8am for the club run - my 1st in many weeks with the club.
    As I was waiting for some others to join, I was amazed at how many I didn't know - probably over half I didn't know.
    WW was present - making sure he was protected from the elements ;)

1st few miles were nice and easy - some good banter. Then going up the Khyber myself and 2 others picked it up slightly.
    We veered off course for 1mile and picked up the pace even more - we added just over a mile on the other group and vowed to keep the pace high til we caught them.
    In total we had about 5 miles around 7 min/mile and finally caught them going down the Upper Glen Road.
    I think the 3 of us were glad to get into the comfort of the group.

I was tight for time so headed off again for home, leaving the rest to it.

11.77m @ 7:25pace.

51 miles for the week
    - and a great weeks training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Off for a night away with the Missus (dont tell the wife........)

4.2@8:37

Saturday:
    I missed the morning session and will probably do these sparingly throughout the year as I value tempos and race specific workouts rather than running at 'stupid pace' again.

The plan today was to do a PaulieYifter special, well, kinda.
    warm up - then 3mins@Tempo followed by 3mins @MP and repeat 6 times, continuous.

The first few I find it hard to dial in the pace - the MP reps were certainly too fast for the 1st couple.
    As the session progressed I found it easier keeping the MP reps to the specified target :)

On average the paces were:
    Tempo: 6:18
    MP: 6:46

Great session and 36mins of work (~5.5m) - amazing how MP feels easy as a recovery on these type of sessions.

Total: 9:08@ 6:58

Sunday
    Turned up at 8am for the club run - my 1st in many weeks with the club.
    As I was waiting for some others to join, I was amazed at how many I didn't know - probably over half I didn't know.
    WW was present - making sure he was protected from the elements ;)

I was tight for time so headed off again for home, leaving the rest to it.

11.77m @ 7:25pace.

51 miles for the week
    - and a great weeks training.

You here all week?

That session reads like something I'd like to try if and when I get back into some kind of a proper training cycle i.e. totally the opposite of what I'm doing at the moment.

Definitely over egged it a bit with the gear this morning. I ended up taking off the gloves and hat on my way around as the others were leaving me trailing. The bottoms could probably have gone at the end of the first stint to be fair :D

Great week's training by you; I'm just taking it week by week for now.

Bedlam at work these last few months - hard to keep up with all the logs.

Monday: The legs felt great despite hard runs on Sat&Sun. I can really feel the fitness starting to kick in and the 'marathon legs' subside.

Nice easy meander to the PP and back the 'long way' - listening to another Richie Sadlier interview.
    Wore the HR monitor for the 1st time in a while - it showed a spike for the 1st mile and later along a slight downhill!!, but I guess that was a false reading as I wasn't at Tempo or Threshold at any stage. Blo0dy Fake news.
    Excluding these alternate facts - the HR was about 130-132.

7.4m@8:11

Tuesday: 5m recovery with 5x30s strides.
    5m@8:43

Wednesday: Santry session - 2x800/2x400/2x800

Coach went with the same session as last week - about 2.5m in volume - which I was happy with as I'm doing Raheny on Sunday.
    He was at pains to tell us that its only Jan and we don't want to peak in the coming 2 months and then be out of shape come the spring.
    Good points I guess.

All the faster lads went there, but thankfully our faster lady was present and kept me honest going around as we shared leading out a few times.
    Times were very consistent - which I'm happy with as the wind was a curse and very gusty at times.

800: 2:44

As with last week - kept active during the recovery - recovery times were generous enough at 2mins & 100s.
    Hopefully we'll see these come down a bit and the volume increase in the coming weeks.

6.66m for the day - should've ran an extra 0.1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

6.66m for the day - should've ran an extra 0.1 :)

Ah, Devil is in the detail...

What's the plan for Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

All the best Sunday A, no doubt it will go well for you.

Thursday and Friday were long days in work with 8-9pm finish times.
    Managed to get out on Thursday morning for 4 miles easy paced run.

Didn't mind too much - I'd be rested for Raheny.

Saturday: 3m easy with strides - just a shakeout really. I think I sweated more watching the Spurs match :)

Sunday: Raheny 5 mile

I had only done this race once before and had a 'mare at it, so was looking forward to it.
    My plan was to race it - not to go for a time as I reckoned under 30 was not on the cards just yet - so I actually felt like the shackles were off and was quite calm before it.

I thought I was at Raheny early enough, about 1:50 - but still had trouble finding parking.
    Bumped into Wubble, so we done a warmup on a 1m loop - I went back to the car to change and managed to get some strides in.
    Lining up I was so far back - I didn't mind as I wanted to manage my 1st mile and not go out too hard.

Off we went and the 1st mile or so, was grand - passing people, trying to find gaps in groups, snarling at those who cut the corners and went onto the path :).
    Passed Mr Drak who looked in fine fettle, said a quick hello and moved on to the next target.
    I hadn't looked at the watch yet, and was picking out targets ahead - sometimes groups and other times individuals.

The legs felt strong, but I felt I lacked a bit of speed as I came to the 2 mile marker - I took a sneak peak at the watch as it buzzed and seen that mile was 5:59. So I knew I was moving ok.

After the 2m mark I seen my name sake up ahead - my next target - "C'mon Alan King" I said as I passed him.....surreal.
    I was feeling quite strong at this point, I could see Yaboya up ahead of me and moved to pass him.

As we entered the Park, I felt like everything had been zapped from me as my strength faded quite rapidly. Yaboya came and passed me as did a few others. I think I got a shout from Redrunner at this stage.
    The demon thoughts came into the head. No - I'm going to finish this thing, I was saying.

Going up the Avenue I lost focus and was feeling a little sorry for myself. I could see people ahead of me who I'd normally be around and it gave me a kick in the arse as I turned at the barrier.
    Right - just over a mile to go I was saying.

I had spotted a lady from Portlaoise (Paula) who I've had a few good races with in the past - most notably Jingle bells a couple of years ago and Terenure last year. I wondered if I could catch her.

We were leaving the park and I came up along side her, not too sure if she new our racing history as well as I did :)
    We both knew we were racing each other this time as we shared the lead a few times going up All Saints Road.

I knew the end was close, the legs were knackered but I couldn't let her beat me. I was ahead of her then she suddenly mounted the path on Wades ave and overtook me. $hit.
    I heard a roar from Aquinn/AGYG as I thought back to previous races where I found a kick.
    I wound it up before the 2nd last turn and amazed myself with my speed - why didn't I do this earlier - I had left Portlaisoe lady for dead as I turned into the finishing straight. A runner up ahead of me, I'm going to catch him as I found more speed in the closing few meters and passed him.
    Amazing looking back at the photos - in my mind, there was just me and that runner ahead of me on the closing straight. In the photos its a packed field :):). When I want to , I can focus really good.

I crossed the line and heaved a bit, happy with the racing.

30:18 was the official time.

When I checked my splits afterwards, I was amazed at the fall off on mile 4 but delighted to recover it on the last mile.

6:05
    5:59
    6:01
    6:18*
    5:54

I'm quite happy with that as its my 1st "eyeballs out" race since Dunshaughlin in June '16.
    Looking forward to more of the same in the coming months.

Met a good few Boardsies after the race - spent some time giving out leaflets for the MSB 5k - before doing a light mile warm down.

Great running by everyone - its certainly a great race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

alright buddy, gave you a shout out as you passed by me on the other side on the Park, you were looking strong and surrounded by ladies as usual....haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Cheers for the shout Alan, you were looking your relaxed self at that stage !

Nice time...

Sounded like you were very comfortable A, bodes well when a near sub 30 5 mile is handy running for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Decent run yesterday, A. Hard enough to get back to absorbing the pain of the shorter stuff after a good marathon cycle. Takes a few days out like yesterday.

Reading your report your race sounded a lot like mine last year when I lost focus in mile 4 which turned out to be my slowest of the day and then I blasted down the finish straight wondering why did I leave all this energy until then to use up.........on the plus side there is nothing like a strong finish to leave you champing at the bit for another go!!

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    alright buddy, gave you a shout out as you passed by me on the other side on the Park, you were looking strong and surrounded by ladies as usual....haha

Yeah - I heard you - I was wallowing in self pity at that stage :) Didn't even notice the wimen. Nice run by you.

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Cheers for the shout Alan, you were looking your relaxed self at that stage !

Nice time...

probably 'cos it was near the start :)
    tang1 wrote: »
    Sounded like you were very comfortable A, bodes well when a near sub 30 5 mile is handy running for you.

Wouldn't say that - I was feeling it from halfway. I need to learn to deal with the uncomfortable discomfort as opposed to the comfortable discomfort.
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    Decent run yesterday, A. Hard enough to get back to absorbing the pain of the shorter stuff after a good marathon cycle. Takes a few days out like yesterday.

Reading your report your race sounded a lot like mine last year when I lost focus in mile 4 which turned out to be my slowest of the day and then I blasted down the finish straight wondering why did I leave all this energy until then to use up.........on the plus side there is nothing like a strong finish to leave you champing at the bit for another go!!

Seems a lot of people lost focus in mile 4 - maybe its entering the park - maybe its a drag? - maybe its just damn tiredness :)

Looking forward to the next race - nothing lined up for feb - better start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Yeah, that was me at the turn at the bottom of the avenue. Well done! Glad you enjoyed the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Nice running! Well done

Monday: Lovely run from the house with a plethora of podcasts to keep me company - til the blue-tooth earphones ran out of charge half way through.

Run felt good - but later on I was wiped.

10:45m @ 7:53 pace

Tuesday: Short run around the estate listening to the K.Kilbane roast (more like a love in) - 5 or 6 strides at the end.

4.78@9:01

Wednesday: Didn't make Santry today for the club session, so done my own, courtsey of Competitor.com.

I wanted to do a session made up predominantly of smaller reps (200's/400's) and what pops up on my news feed, but a ladder/pyramid type thingy. So I programmed it into the watch, which was an effort in itself and set off.

Plan was: 1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,1 mins with 60/60/120 sec rec. - 17min of hard running.

I dont think I was over the race on Sunday, never mind the 10 miles on Monday - but I found this very tough.
    It was a very gusty evening, but was tougher than it should have been.

Pacewise, the aim was for 1m/3k/5k paces on the 1,2,3.
    In actual fact - the 1 min segments were fine, but the 2&3 min segments had little differentiation - but both faster than 5km.

Decent WU & DC on this.

9.6m in total

Thursday: Early start with work - then a work event straight after work - took it as a rest day.

Friday: 6m easy pace with 5-6 strides. Cant really recall it.

Saturday: Was tempted to do a Parkrun, but when I woke and looked out, I reckoned it'd be too slippy. Hartstown was subsequently cancelled.
    Decided to do a tempo in the PP - jog down, 2m down c'field, 5 mins rec, 2m back up then home. Simple plan.

About 0.5m into the tempo, I felt knackered - on the go I decided to do 4x1m with 1min rec's.
    Took the break and off again - I had veered off to the Furze/OS roads at this stage.
    5 mins into the 2nd mile I was breathing hard and the legs were hurting and I was going backwards. Stopped as I was at nothing.
    Took 2 mins and was ready to go home, but then decided to do the 3rd rep at Marathon pace.

Started off - yes, this is working - I'm a clever b'stard - I can trick my body..........I am the man.......

oooops, whats that, my legs aren't working.........is that an incline ahead - nope, its Mount Everest and it'll hurt you. Stop. Stop now or you'll DIE.
    So I stopped again after 5 mins again.

Jogged home trying to remember the last time this happened on a session?? Drew a blank.

So the morale of Saturdays story was how stupid it was to do 10miles after the 5m race. Left me wrecked for the week.
    The session on Wednesday should have been a warning sign - given that it felt so difficult.
    Lesson learned.

7.3m - with 1mile/5mins/5mins at tempo.

Sunday: What a difference a day makes.
    Met the gang on Sunday morning at 8am - a chilly day for it. About 14 of us turned up at 8am - amazing turnout.

the 1st couple of miles were decent enough as we went down C'Field and warmed up. Going up the Khyber there was quietness for a bit behind us as 3 of us started to make a gap.
    Stopped at 5m to join up with the 8:45 crew and set off again - 3 of us, pushing the pace from this point.
    Again, the 3 of us took a detour with the intention of pushing the pace to catch them - a good 3-4mile pick up ensued til we caught them just entering the acres.

Was tempted to do more miles as I felt good, but remembering how I was on Sat and that my mileage was decent enough - me and 3 others left the group.

12.4m @ 7:33 pace.

50.5 miles for the week. Not too shabby

Monday: 4.83m with strides - 2nd captains for company. Looking fwd to their new service!

Tuesday: Managed to get out in daylight and head to the PP - done a lap of the park and more strides - 6x20 secs. Enjoyed that run.
    7.23@7.55 pace

Wednesday: Bad day in the office, literally. I work in HP and we were in the news a bit :):).
    On the positive side - theres a good package and another 12 months for me.

Made my way to Santry wondering what delights coach had in store.
    Same as my previous 2 sessions - 2x800 / 2x400 / 2x800.

Myself and our faster lady led the group on all reps - felt strong on all reps.
    The last rep was tough, but also my fastest and I had a good final 100m sprint at the end of the 800.

2:42 / 2:43 / 75 / 75 / 2:42 / 2:41

Really enjoyed that - just what I needed.

5.9m for the day

Thursday: An aspect that worked for me last year was from Pfitzinger & Latters book - it involves doing good endurance runs the day before and after a session.
    With this in mind I set off to the park and back to see how the legs felt.
    After a couple of miles warm up, I felt great and could have ran all night.

9 miles @ 7:41

Friday: 4.17m @ 8:22 with strides

Good to hear the HP thing might not be to severe on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

tang1 wrote: »
    Good to hear the HP thing might not be to severe on you.

Sure he's only got 14 months till retirement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Sure he's only got 14 months till retirement

Jaysus, Vinny pops up at opportunistic moments :)

Saturday: I was tight for time and had to bring and collect the daughter from her GAA training in the PP, so limited the session to that hour.
    The session was 4x200 / 3min T - 3min MP Alt Tempo x4 / 4x200
    Got a mile or so warm up and done the 1st set of 4x200 by the Popes Cross - the wind was very noticable as was the cold.

I done the tempo on the Acres - I had the watch set for 36mins (3+3)x6), but knew I wouldn't do that due to time constraint, so I had 4 or 5 reps in my mind.
    Towards the end, I was struggling - the wind made the effort greater and I didn't compensate - I left it at 4 reps - 24mins continuous in total.
    The T elements averaged 6:20 and the MP averaged 6:4x.

another 4x200 following this and I threw in a 400 as I knew the distance between the sets of poles on the Furze was exactly 400m and I was standing at pole A and my car was parked at pole B :):)

6.8m in total

Sunday: I was up late for the 8am start, but made the 8:45 crew and set off on a nice 1st mile. The pace gradually picked up as we dropped a few people but not as fast or as sustained as previous weeks.

At about mile 8, we'd been travelling at a good clip and I was coming out of the Polo grounds on the path, joining C'Field when my foot slipped in the grass and I took a bad tumble - hands, knee and thigh all taking the brunt of the fall - plenty of blood. I nearly died. Seriously.
    Well not quite - but didn't feel sore at the time, so I kept going and picked it up again for another 3 miles.

At that stage, I thought the better of keeping with the faster paced group as the blood was flowing from the leg and I slowed it down - I didn't stop and go home to get it sorted as that would have made no sense............... :) done abother 3 miles at a decent pace. Proudly showing off my war wounds.
    Did get a bit sore later in the evening, but not too bad today.

14.1m @ 7:38

52 miles for the week.
    Longest training run & highest weekly mileage since mid November.

I need to keep reminding myself that its only Feb and I dont need to be a peak fitness for another few months. Progression is the name of the game.
    I'm not currently working from a plan, so that needs to change sharpishly.

So, after a lot of internal debate of which plan to follow - I turned to Alcohol for guidance - Jack Daniels to be precise.

It was a toss up between the Magness 10k plan and the JD 10k plan - I've spent the last 2-3 months reading both books and was intrigued by both.
    The 3 things that swung JD in my favour were:

(1) I wouldn't have the patience for the Magness base phase. I should have started this just after Marathon.
    (2) The 5-6 MP runs in JD (upto 10 miles) are a big plus as I plan to move into marathon training in July.
    (3) I love the variation that JD brings - theres a strong part of this in Magness, but its 'more stuff' in JD.

As with all plans - I wont be a slave to it and will alter it to suit my strengths & weaknesses.

Monday: easy miles with a few strides.

3.8m @ 8:43

Tuesday: WU / 4x200 / 6x400 / 4x200 / CD

When I seen this on the plan I wanted to change it instantly as the 400's were set for 81seconds as per my VDOT.
    I'd been doing them in 75-76 recently in Santry and doing 81's as part of my 800's.

Maybe this is the strength of the plan that it'll get me to run at the correct paces - but for today, the thing in my mind was the lack of progression from previous weeks.

I decided to do some of the reps up the Khyber in order to add something to it - it is the 1st one on the plan afterall!!

I jogged about 20mins to the bottom of the Khyber and done the 1st set of 200's up the Khyber with a walk/jog back down.
    Full recoveries are the name of the game for JD's Repetitions.

I done the 1st 400 up the Khyber and seen that the recovery was for 400miles and not 400meters on the Garmin :) - thank God for the lap function.
    I alternated the 400's between the Khyber and the flat, going past the Fort.
    The final set of 200's were up the Khyber but were a guessing game as the reps were set for 400 miles too - think I was drunk on the whisky version of JD setting the watch up.

1st set of 200's: 40/40/40/40 (all Khyber)

400's:
    80 (Hill)
    79 (flat)
    81 (Hill)
    78 (Flat)
    80 (Hill)
    74 (Flat)

2nd set of 200's: 36/39/38/38 (all Khyber)

I was very conscious to maintain good form for the whole session, I took good recoveries and felt good to start each rep.
    It was totally different to an interval workout and in all honesty, I think I under appreciated it by making it harder.

That being said - there's a 6 week bank of these sessions - I plan on doing a couple more this way and keep the rest on the flat.

With a 2.5mile warm up and a 3mile cool down - the session came to 10.05 miles.

Wednesday: Down to the PP and back again - a few strides as per the plan in the little park by the house.
    Legs very tired but the faster strides helped a lot.

6.8m @ 8.14 pace

Thursday: DOMS had set in from Tuesdays hills and I thought about taking a rest day.
    Was sitting around with nothing to do after watching the most boring match ever (spurs beaten 1-0 by the mighty Gent) - decided to do a few recovery miles.
    3.4 miles @ 9:02 pace.

Friday: I had a session planned today but didn't feel confident that I'd complete it due to fatigue in the legs. Decided to start it and see how I got on.
    Session was 4x200 / 4x1m T (1min)/ 4x200 (not programmed into watch - so done 40seconds rather than 200's)

2 miles easy down to the Acres in the PP and set off on the 200's.

The 200's are at a good clip and I stop at 40 secs - walk/jog back to recover and go again.

After the 4 - I set off on the 1st mile rep - wondering if I'll be able to complete 1 rep, never mind 4.
    After the faster 200's - tempo paced seemed like I was jogging and I found the 1st few hundred meters to be at sub 5:30 pace - I had to cut it back a lot to get the pace right, otherwise it would be a torturous session.
    I finished the 1st tempo mile feeling great - took the 1 min and off again.
    The 2nd/3rd and 4th were great - I felt strong and my only issue was keeping the pace down.

I was tempted to do a 5th rep - but I recall reading in the bible (JD) that if the session seems easy - then reduce the recovery. So I left it at 4 with a mind to reduce the recovery next time.

The next set of 400's went great again - Sean Hehir & Eoin C jogged by as I was in full flight - got a thumps up from Sean - nice lad :)

I was delighted with the session as I was dreading it - as I was in the middle of one of the mile reps - I was thinking about how I questioned Back in Black about his Tempo paces - but these did feel comfortably hard.....swear.

Tempo paces: (6:08/6:08/6:10/6:01)

10.25 miles

Saturday: 7.89m inc 8 strides.

Ran down to the PP - around the Popes cross and back home - 8 strides in the park by the house.

The faster 200's that I've been doing this week are making me more deliberate in my strides - this can only be a good thing.

7.89m

Sunday: Met the gang at 8am and ran a loop around the Khyber back to C'Knock gate meeting up with the 8:45 crew.
    22 in total for this run - largest week in a while.

As usual a few of us pushed the pace out and we take a detour to catch the group later.
    One of the good things about this run is that a lot of it is on the trails and includes a lot of hills.

After 12-13 miles, I'm finding the going tough - regretting finishing the bottle of wine the previous night (a Sat night habit I need to break), but I trundle on - I finish the last mile with a different group, leaving the lads to 'mickey wave' together without me :)

I then get a telling off for not finishing the long run strong and taking the soft option......I let it be know what I thought of that.

15.87m @ 7:24 longest since san seb.

58 miles for the week - good weeks training and Spurs win 0-3 - Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Alan, you are a runner. A runner! Please stop finishing runs at .89 etc. Just tick off that last .11 and let us all sleep that bit better, free from runners ocd!!

Very good training going on, enjoying seeing the approach.

Alan, you are a runner. A runner! Please stop finishing runs at .89 etc. Just tick off that last .11 and let us all sleep that bit better, free from runners ocd!!

Very good training going on, enjoying seeing the approach.

This is possibly the best comment on my log ever.
    I've ran around carparks, past my house, lapped my car 5 times!!
    Finishing a run before a nice clean number is the new chic. My new OCD is to not finish on a nice round number :)

Monday:
    Am: Short run (3.3m) to pick the car up from last night. - A trip to IKEA followed :(

PM: Post IKEA recovery run + 10 strides - (4.8m)

8.2 for the day.

Tuesday: 6(200/200/400) with (200/200/400 rec)

A blustery day for a speed session - so I went to my non blustery location of Porterstown Park - a 1m pathway surrounded by trees and houses. From the way the wind was blowing, I'd have a lot of cover.

Session went well.
    I was doing between 38-40 for the 200's and 78-80 for the 400's - prescribed paces as per JD's vdot was 41/81.

9.4m in total.

Wednesday: 6.1 wet miles inc 8 strides. Tired legs for this one.

Thursday: 5x1m Tempo (1 min) + 6x200
    This was due on Friday, but had to bring it fwd 1 day as Friday was booked as a family day.

Again in a terrible wind, I jogged up to Porterstown and set off on the session.
    It was more difficult than the 4x1mT I done last week - the wind was causing havoc and there was little protection today as only by running up the drags offered protection from the wind. But then there was the drags.

After 3 reps I was going to call it - but done the 4th. The 1 min recovery goes very fast.
    On the 5th rep, I changed direction and said I'd do it at MP if it felt tough - these mind games always work and I finished the 5th rep with change.
    Done the 6x200's on the way home.

T miles: 6:11/6:13/6:20/6:24/6:13

Friday: Visit to Hill of Tara only to find the visitor center was closed.
    Spent the afternoon assembling the IKEA furniture in a converted attic - hunching quite a bit, banging my head a lot, swearing much.
    Wrecked. Family meal in Ashtown followed.

Sat: Picking the car up in Ashtown - taking in a bit of the PP and doing 6 strides on the canal.
    Really taking these strides seriously these days and not just going through the motions.
    7.8 miles.

Sunday: Plan was 10 miles at MP.

The actual was a bit different given the conditions.
    I jogged the 1st mile to Porterstown and done 3 laps at MP - that was proving to be unsustainable, so I headed off to check out the canal - done a mile up there and then that was proving blustery - headed back from Clonsilla train station and took 3mins easy once I had 5m at MP completed.
    Ran 2miles to Blanch Shopping center and towards the bell - before turning into another headwind - took another 3 mins easy before tuning up to Roselawn for 1 more mile at MP.

Overall it worked out at 5m MP/2MP / 1MP off 3min easy. 8 miles in those conditions will do thank you very much.
    I've no doubt sections of the MP were above MP effort.

6 strides to finish.

(6:39/6:43/6:51/6:43/6:57) (6:44/6:53) (6:44)

12.55 for the day - I was going to run an additional bit to finish on 12.99 - but it started raining :)

A tad under 53 for the week.

Monday: The legs felt great on Monday - so got out in daylight, a decent run to the PP, down the Glen and back. Feels like I haven't been in the park in a long time.
    10x20s strides in the park by the house. Again - doing the strides in the right manner with the right focus.

8.4m

Tuesday: Managed to get out for a run at 4:30. Drove to the PP and set off on a 2m warm up which brought me to the Furze Road.
    I was looking fwd to the session - the sky was blue and the sun was shining - believe it or not.

Session was 4x200 / 8x400 / 4x200 - with full distance recoveries.

Even though I had the watch set up - I decided to do these on the Furze, between the 2 sets of posts.
    The full session (inc recoveries) was about 6miles (9.6k) - done on the largest park in Europe, between two posts 400m apart :)

The 400's were ok once I got over the 1st one. They got progressively faster from 40s to 37.4s (watch was set up bang on :) )
    During the 200's I was thinking about the target for Repetitions for 400's and got myself in a right muddle.

Originally I had 81s in my head, but a nagging doubt told me that this was the Interval time and the Rep time was 76.
    So decided to do them at the faster time - I was convinved my previous weeks 400's were done too slow.

The 400's actually went very well - even at the faster pace. I was fully recovered for each one and the hit the paces very well.
    Just before I started the 400's the heavens opened and it was lashing - torrential rain.

I kept going and on the 3rd rep, I pass Sean Hehir going by as I was on my recovery 400.
    I turned and knew I'd have to run by him.
    Putting on my best pose and powering the arms, I blew by him, striding well, knowing it was the only time I'd ever pass Sean.

In fairness to him, on my recovery shuffle passing him again, he slows down, tells me "well done for getting out, well done for doing a session in the rain, but don't do them so hard" - he's such a nice guy. Legend. My breathing or footfall must have been all over the place for him to comment on doing them hard :):)

The 8x400's were:
    72 (Sean H rep )
    72 (a non standing start)

The last 4x200 was done with the sun out again - they went well - all about the 36s range.

When I got home I checked the JD book and I was mistaken in the 76s 400's.
    The correct time for each rep was 81s - so I blew that out of the water.

Had I got it wrong on a vo2max session, I'd be a bit more worried about it being a wasted session, but on a R session with full recoveries - I dont think it will negate the session (open to correction here) - despite what Sean said - I felt in control of my mechanics, form etc on each rep and wasn't flagging by the end.

about a 1m warm down before the heavens opened again.

Brought the dog out for an hour walk later on - legs felt great and the walk does wonders for recovery. And it didn't rain.

9.23m

Closing out Feb with 216 miles - I ran 26/28 days.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: Easy miles and 8 strides. - Legs felt grand on Wednesday, done a loop that I knew to be 8ish miles and then done the 8x20s strides. Simples.
    Cant recall if I got wet - but lets assume I did :)

8.9m @8.06

Thursday: 4m recovery run. Legs tired today. 8.30 pace.

Friday: Session 10x2mins
    I was looking fwd to this as its the 1st bit of V02 interval stuff I've done in a while.

I parked at Whites gate and ran the 2m or so to the Furze road - my goto location for these sessions these days.

I knew some of these would be tougher than others as the wind was in your face on 1 side.
    After the 1st couple, I realised that was going be be tough - I reckon I hadn't fully recovered from the 200's/400's at faster than planned pace on Tuesday - my body was also possibly getting used to the longer recoveries from the speed sessions So the 1min rec seemed like no time at all.

Got a good psychological break when I thought I only had 7 done when the watch told me it was 9. Love when that works in your favour.

Overall they averaged 5.43 pace - the aim according to a VDOT calculator was 5:48.
    I was disappointed that the workout, at only 2min reps, felt tough and at times I was chasing the pace - but I look at the fact that it was probably designed this way to remind us of the shock of interval sessions again :)

I done a few miles warm down, my OCD must be returning as I left my car to find the additional 0.2m to make the 10m for the session :)

10m

Saturday: Easy pace + 8x20s strides
    5.2m @ 8:11

Sunday: Club run

Turned up at 8am for this and we were straight into it with a 7:45 mile - no easing in this week.
    The 1st 5m felt good, inc the Khyber, and I toyed with staying with the larger group rather than going off with the front runners as usual.

As it felt good, after a couple of miles running with the 8.45 group, I went off with the front runners, probably doing a few 7.20 miles and putting the world to right along the way.
    With 4m to go, 2 skipped off home and myself and another lad, itched it up again and pushed ourselves a bit more doing 6.55's-7:10's - throwing in the Furry Glen hill along the way.

I finished at 15.94m on the watched, making sure I ran past the car and back to make up the 16. Runners OCD well and truly back.

16m at 7.24 pace - and felt good doing it.

62m for the week - highest mileage since 1st week in November.
    Kinda happy with how its going, but I know I need to be patient with the plan and stick to it.
    I'd love to do a few interval sessions & get 'race ready' quicker - but I can see the benefits of the speed work allied to the tempos and the long runs. Next V02 interval session is in 3 weeks - they then become a weekly fixture.

This week calls for more 200'2 & 400's but there is a treat in store for a decent tempo next Friday (3m + 2x1m).

1st race is likely to be Dunboyne 4m.

Advertisement