Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

I am supposed to be getting imagine today but delayed installation due to thunder. Can anyone indicate what kind of service they have from Glencomb mast between Thomastown and Graiguenamanagh. Second question, as I have devolo repeaters and and an aigital repeater.i have a notion these only work on the 2.4Ghs band. Will I have trouble using these devices. Third question, I note also it’s not possible to access imagine router, does that mean I cannot change username and password to a more user friendly name. I have a three service which suffers from major contention at nighttime. Is it foolish to change and pay 100% more?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Galway

8610089403.png

8610092583.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I’m getting a new router from Imagine this week. I was told
    It was a Gentek Cat 12 WLTGG 123

I don’t suppose someone has one of these and could post a photo of it?

I don't have it but this should be it. From the Gemtek site:

uploads-products-5ac33f33d8ed2.png

https://www.gemteks.com/en/products/wireless-broadband/outdoor-cpe

Slow again
    It was 170 Mbps at 7 am

8612479888.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Slow again
    It was 170 Mbps at 7 am

8612479888.png

your mast must be completely oversubscribed. Sunday evening a very popular time for watching netflix and other streaming websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Gonzo wrote: »
    your mast must be completely oversubscribed. Sunday evening a very popular time for watching netflix and other streaming websites.

Same deal for the Ballina mast. Speed totally variable through-out the day, my parents get a max of 30-40mbps off-peak and around 4 to 8mbps peak. Ping all over the place.

However the off-peak times appear to be reducing, this morning they were only getting 14mbps.

(speed test done via a gigabit cable (cat6) connected directly from the PC to the router, not sure if the router has gigabit ports though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

user1842 wrote: »
    Same deal for the Ballina mast. Speed totally variable through-out the day, my parents get a max of 30-40mbps off-peak and around 4 to 8mbps peak. Ping all over the place.

However the off-peak times appear to be reducing, this morning they were only getting 14mbps.

I'm on the same mast 1842, Bonniconlon sector, 11 k away. Just did a test over wifi, 8.30am, sat next to router.... 105 down, 6 up.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8613563689

I have the new gemtek Cat12 router and am on the 5G ready, :(, router address. It does drop to mid 20's at peak though. I would be calling them if I had your parents speeds.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

TopTec wrote: »
    I'm on the same mast 1842, Bonniconlon sector, 11 k away. Just did a test over wifi, 8.30am, sat next to router.... 105 down, 6 up.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8613563689

I have the new gemtek Cat12 router and am on the 5G ready, :(, router address. It does drop to mid 20's at peak though. I would be calling them if I had your parents speeds.

TT

Parents are about 3km from the mast, no line of sight. I might call Imagine then, next time im home. The biggest issue is the unreliability of the connection for whats app calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

Have I calculated this correctly .....

15 Hours of downloading from Imagine at full speed (150 Mb/s)
    will exceed the monthly 'fair use' allowance (1 TB).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

eirman wrote: »
    Have I calculated this correctly .....

15 Hours of downloading from Imagine at full speed (150 Mb/s)
    will exceed the monthly 'fair use' allowance (1 TB).

Sounds about right...

Or , in a more real world example.

1TB is about 150hrs of Netflix at 4K , for one device.

So , if you're in a household with a couple of teenagers so you have 3 active devices , all of a sudden a couple of hours a night watching TV for each of you consumes your full allowance..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Sounds about right...

Or , in a more real world example.

1TB is about 150hrs of Netflix at 4K , for one device.

So , if you're in a household with a couple of teenagers so you have 3 active devices , all of a sudden a couple of hours a night watching TV for each of you consumes your full allowance..

Alot of people also don't realise stuff that happens in the background such as windows/ios updates, mobile updates, patches, firmware updates etc etc can use several gigs of data too. If there are a number of devices in the household with a couple of teenagers the clock has to be watched on a weekly basis, everything counts towards a fair usage policy including posting here on boards. Running speedtests can also take a chunk out of your data if those are run frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

One TB per month is not nearly enough for an average family.

I vote for Five TB per month!

eirman wrote: »
    One TB per month is not nearly enough for an average family.

I vote for Five TB per month!

There shouldn't be a fair usage policy on any VDSL or FTTH product. Most people would comfortably use no more than 2 tb per month, but 1tb is cutting it fine on fast services.

The problem with Imagine is the 1tb per month data allowance is already too much for a wireless product with limited bandwidth and their network is falling apart during peak hours because of it.

Comreg wrote:
    In Q2 2019 the average cable broadband subscription generated 251.4 GB of data per month followed by FTTP (193.7 GB), VDSL (188.7 GB), and FWA (113.3 GB).

Companies will use these figures to justify lower caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Companies will use these figures to justify lower caps.

Well are they doctored or the truth?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Well are they doctored or the truth?

They are industry wide statistics so it would require collusion between all operators to lie to Comreg. That is probably unlikely.

Virgin don't enforce caps and their average usage, while the highest, is still only a quarter of a terabyte.

Same today

8615476119.png

I will leave sky news running in the background at 1080p to make things a little bit better for everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FunkyFr3sh

Just had Imagine out to do an install today. Lad I spoke to was very polite and professional, explained the speed test procedure and where they would test etc.

Unfortunately they wouldn't proceed with the install as they weren't happy with the speeds they were getting from multiple points around the house, so they marked it down as a failed install. I assuming the €100 installation fee will be refunded automatically.

Oh well, back to mobile tethering with 1-2 Mb download speeds for me it seems. Great country lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

FunkyFr3sh wrote: »
    Just had Imagine out to do an install today. Lad I spoke to was very polite and professional, explained the speed test procedure and where they would test etc.

Unfortunately they wouldn't proceed with the install as they weren't happy with the speeds they were getting from multiple points around the house, so they marked it down as a failed install. I assuming the €100 installation fee will be refunded automatically.

Oh well, back to mobile tethering with 1-2 Mb download speeds for me it seems. Great country lads.

14 days after the failed install the 100 is refunded....i got mine back today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FunkyFr3sh

dashoonage wrote: »
    14 days after the failed install the 100 is refunded....i got mine back today!

Excellent, cheers for the info.

• Advertisement

FunkyFr3sh wrote: »

have you tried all mobile operators? At my location I can only get 0.5meg from 3, 4 from Vodafone and over 20 from Eir mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

have you tried all mobile operators? At my location I can only get 0.5meg from 3, 4 from Vodafone and over 20 from Eir mobile.

Yeah same story here. 50gb 30 days @ €30

gooner99 wrote: »
    Yeah same story here. 50gb 30 days @ €30
    Check again.

Check again.

Not sure what you mean?

Not sure what you mean?
    Three gives unlimited for €20 a month PAYG, I went to eir shop a month ago and they have the same.
    The only catch is you have to buy your own router

Three gives unlimited for €20 a month PAYG, I went to eir shop a month ago and they have the same.
    The only catch is you have to buy your own router

Ah ok. That's for their mobile phone plans. €20 for unlimited data for 30 days. I see the fair usage limit is 80gb, so not unlimited after all. I'm using the prepay mobile broadband plan. Have my own modem. Do you know if the speeds are the same?

Ah ok. That's for their mobile phone plans. €20 for unlimited data for 30 days. I see the fair usage limit is 80gb, so not unlimited after all. I'm using the prepay mobile broadband plan. Have my own modem. Do you know if the speeds are the same?
    Same speed and they don't implement the 80gb limit

Same speed and they don't implement the 80gb limit

Thanks very much or the info. Will grab a sim and give it a go. I notice you have to give your details if you request a sim online. Is it the same in store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Expect threes speed to drop to shoite at times in the evening too depending on what mast you are on
    Same principle as imagine
    Congestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Hi Gonzo is that 20 from eir pretty consistent? I've tried both Vodafone and 3 but not eir

Advertisement