Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

So I got installed yesterday, fair dues to Imagine, they were there when they said they would be and finished in 90 minutes as they said they would, big improvement over the false promises Eir will give you!!

Before going ahead with the install they did a test and were getting just under 100mb, I said I'd be happy with that due to the locale. After install on a wired connection to PC I was getting 92mb down and 15mb up, happy days, big improvement over Digiweb's 30mb down and barely 1mb up. That was at 5pm so not really peak time.

Tried another speedtest at 9.30pm and it was still the same so now we wait until it beds in and see what it does for me on Saturday night around 9pm! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Great stuff - hope it continues like that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

morgana wrote: »
    Great stuff - hope it continues like that :)

It might if Ftth reaches the area
    Otherwise it wont
    I'm 2 years in and my peak evenings have dropped to 20 from 60
    Still over a 100 in the daytime
    At 20 or so in the evening everything works
    I'd get faster if I moved to www.wi.ie but theres the hassle,will wait until new year to see what way Ftth and the NBP is panning out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

In my experience it varies, peak speeds had dropped at some stage to below 10 for a while. But they have settled back around 20 to 35 for a long time now.

I'd still be happy if it drops to around 20 at peak times tbh, it's as good as I'll ever get until the NBP gets rolled out in 2034 or thereabouts.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Chah

Imagine install Kilkenny

Hi so I’m close to getting imagine installed to my new build. Technician got 100 odd mbps on his test (I expect that’ll drop significantly at peak times and over WiFi.

Problem(s) I have are:

They wouldn’t splice onto the cat6 I have up in the attic which leads to where I’ve all my other cat6 radiating from. They would only drop vertically from the outside router and said I could run my own cable to them ....is splicing a cat6 a bad idea? Will I be looking at big losses?

My cooling off period runs out next Tuesday by which time I won’t have service- do they extend this??

Are there better options around kk? In the amber area of nbp

No loss if you splice ie use different pairs to different rooms etc but if it's a new build,bring power supply to attic and bridge routers
    Cat 6 is thin,run a few cables if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Chah wrote: »
    Imagine install Kilkenny

Hi so I’m close to getting imagine installed to my new build. Technician got 100 odd mbps on his test (I expect that’ll drop significantly at peak times and over WiFi.

Problem(s) I have are:

They wouldn’t splice onto the cat6 I have up in the attic which leads to where I’ve all my other cat6 radiating from. They would only drop vertically from the outside router and said I could run my own cable to them ....is splicing a cat6 a bad idea? Will I be looking at big losses?

My cooling off period runs out next Tuesday by which time I won’t have service- do they extend this??

Are there better options around kk? In the amber area of nbp

Can you not run their cable through your attic to your switch? That's what I did. Just ask them to give you a load of line. They wouldn't go into the attic so I pulled the cable through myself while they were there (they fed it through the entry point from the outside), but they had no problem setting up the router at my specified location.

For a splice, I doubt you'd see much loss on the cable unless the splice was near a point of interference but I'd not be inclined to do it all the same. A manufactured cable is going to be more reliable than a splice.

Cooling off period, by the letter of their contract, runs for two weeks from when you sign up to the service. It's not two weeks from when the service is installed. There have been others on this forum though, who have argued within 2 weeks of having the service installed that it was not fit for purpose and have gotten out of the contract free of charge. Worst case scenario, it's €100 to break contract early.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    No loss if you splice ie use different pairs to different rooms etc but if it's a new build,bring power supply to attic and bridge routers
    Cat 6 is thin,run a few cables if you want

Thanks so 2 routers is it (one in attic one in utility?)

I’m kind of stuck with my existing route in that house fully finished so fishing more cables is a bit of a nightmare

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

d31b0y wrote: »
    Can you not run their cable through your attic to your switch? That's what I did. Just ask them to give you a load of line. They wouldn't go into the attic so I pulled the cable through myself while they were there (they fed it through the entry point from the outside), but they had no problem setting up the router at my specified location.

For a splice, I doubt you'd see much loss on the cable unless the splice was near a point of interference but I'd not be inclined to do it all the same. A manufactured cable is going to be more reliable than a splice.

Cooling off period, by the letter of their contract, runs for two weeks from when you sign up to the service. It's not two weeks from when the service is installed. There have been others on this forum though, who have argued within 2 weeks of having the service installed that it was not fit for purpose and have gotten out of the contract free of charge. Worst case scenario, it's €100 to break contract early.

I did exactly the same - I got into the attic and pulled the cable and brought to the point I wanted.

They were fine with it , they just wouldn't do it themselves.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I did exactly the same - I got into the attic and pulled the cable and brought to the point I wanted.

They were fine with it , they just wouldn't do it themselves.

I couldn’t run it to my utility without a fair amount of rooting - takes a fair route thru the house from attic (concrete floors etc)

Get yourself an ethernet coupler then. I doubt they'll give out about that.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=rj45+coupler

Chah wrote: »
    Thanks so 2 routers is it (one in attic one in utility?)

I’m kind of stuck with my existing route in that house fully finished so fishing more cables is a bit of a nightmare

Theirs and yours ,yes

Get yourself an ethernet coupler then. I doubt they'll give out about that.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=rj45+coupler

How's Barrackcroghan doing on the speed test box for you lately?
    Quite slow at times lately in the evening here

Shíte... averaging 8mbps in the evening last month. Speeds as low as 2mpbs.

I've emailed them three times and they haven't replied once. I'm gonna leave, I just have to talk the wife into opening the purse strings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sh... averaging 8mbps in the evening last month. Speeds as low as 2mpbs.

I've emailed them three times and they haven't replied once. I'm gonna leave, I just have to talk the wife into opening the purse strings.

If you leave Imagine, what alternative do you have?

Shíte... averaging 8mbps in the evening last month. Speeds as low as 2mpbs.

Was thinking that
    Whizzy cover your area but you actually do have Ftth passing but just didnt get it because of the cost of the ducting?
    If this continues, I'll move to whizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Imagine must be on big project around Tullamore as I saw over 20 of them + a fleet of vans there today

Gonzo wrote: »
    If you leave Imagine, what alternative do you have?

I've FTTH but ancillary works will be north of 2k euro
    Mortelaro wrote: »
    Was thinking that
    Whizzy cover your area but you actually do have Ftth passing but just didnt get it because of the cost of the ducting?
    If this continues, I'll move to whizzy

I had whizzy out before, they couldn't get a signal.

Imagine responded last night asking four questions, three of which were already answered in my initial email :rolleyes:

Cooling off period, by the letter of their contract, runs for two weeks from when you sign up to the service. It's not two weeks from when the service is installed. There have been others on this forum though, who have argued within 2 weeks of having the service installed that it was not fit for purpose and have gotten out of the contract free of charge. Worst case scenario, it's €100 to break contract early.[/quote]

Is it not the full 24 months multiplied by €60 to break? So if I’ve no service within 2 weeks, I get it and it’s no good it then costs me 1500 odd to back out? Might cancel& reorder!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Imagine responded last night asking four questions, three of which were already answered in my initial email :rolleyes:

2k is alot of money, but if it means a lifetime of future proofed internet, i'd do it. Imagine is at best a stop gap for those who have no other choice, their quality of service is not reliable from one hour to the next and no future proofing whatsoever. The only thing Imagine have done right is marketing/lying convincing most of their customers that they have 5g, when in fact it's still 4g. Even if it was 5g it would still have all the same problems as 3g and 4g.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

what sort of ancillary works for 2K ??

And there we go, reality smacks me in the face with a wet cod. Down to 5mb down, 4mb up. Friday night too, had to turn off a great match between Germany and Holland. Oh well. So much for 5G. Too good to be true. Can't wait for tomorrow night when I'm trying to stream the Khabib fight. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

A strange one here and would appreciate yer input. Sick to death with Imagine contention issues so I was checking other providers. I originally had to go to imagine because I 'm at the end of an Eircom run from their exchange and can get no proper service from any one else. So my query....I line checked my number on Eircom and it said speeds up to 2mb and I them check Vodafone with the same number and it said speeds up to 24mb

At the address you've checked you can get Vodafone Broadband
    You will be able to download with speeds up to 24 Mbps

eir Fibre hasn't reached your address yet but we can offer you these brilliant broadband bundles
    We checked **********
    Speeds of up to 2Mb are available at your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

[QUOTE=seanvanseanvan;111197677 So my query....I line checked my number on Eircom and it said speeds up to 2mb and I them check Vodafone with the same number and it said speeds up to 24mb

[/B][/QUOTE]

Unfortinally they both offer the service using VDSL over the same Open Eir network so you will get the same line speed no matter the provider you go with.
    Eir probably just have a more accurate reading in their database on what your line is capiable of.
    24mb would only be phiscally possible over a phone line if you were 1km from the exchange, I'd say Vodafone default to the up to 24mb when they know someone can get the service but is not very close to the exchange/cabininet.
    With Eir saying your can only get 2mbit I'm going to guess you are about 5km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

tuxy wrote: »
    Unfortinally they both offer the service using VDSL over the same Open Eir network so you will get the same line speed no matter the provider you go with.
    Eir probably just have a more accurate reading in their database on what your line is capiable of.
    24mb would only be phiscally possible over a phone line if you were 1km from the exchange, I'd say Vodafone default to the up to 24mb when they know someone can get the service but is not very close to the exchange/cabininet.
    With Eir saying your can only get 2mbit I'm going to guess you are about 5km away.

Thx tuxy, I was thinking the same. This imagine thing has my head fried to be honest. I was speed checking my mobile phone tonight on the three network and I was getting speeds of 40/50 mb, upload not great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So ive imagine coming in the morning. I finally caved, sitting here trying to watch netflix on 0.9mbs the other night i just gave in...

Has anyone managed to get access to there DVR over imagine ? They told me on the phone the can put the new router into bridge mode for me and give me a static ip so i can plug it into my netgear so i should be good to just set up port forwarding after that

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

A strange one here and would appreciate yer input. Sick to death with Imagine contention issues so I was checking other providers. I originally had to go to imagine because I 'm at the end of an Eircom run from their exchange and can get no proper service from any one else. So my query....I line checked my number on Eircom and it said speeds up to 2mb and I them check Vodafone with the same number and it said speeds up to 24mb

At the address you've checked you can get Vodafone Broadband
    You will be able to download with speeds up to 24 Mbps

eir Fibre hasn't reached your address yet but we can offer you these brilliant broadband bundles
    We checked **********
    Speeds of up to 2Mb are available at your home.
    When I check my eircode with Airwire it says up to 100 Mbps. I know my line will take a max of 1.7 Mbps no matter who is the provider, I tried eir and Sky.

Up to 24 mb is a standard category reply from the checker
    I get that too
    The reality here is 2 to 3 ie useless altogether as opposed to imagine which to be fair is far from stellar but useable in the evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

Thx tuxy, I was thinking the same. This imagine thing has my head fried to be honest. I was speed checking my mobile phone tonight on the three network and I was getting speeds of 40/50 mb, upload not great though.

If you can get your hands on a router that will take a 3 sim and it would be about the same as your phone.
    20euro to up every 28 days

Advertisement