Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

deadl0ck wrote: »
    TBH this sort of comment angers me - for people with no other choice this is better than nothing
    Are you saying unless you have super high speed broadband there in no point in having any ?

I live in a rural area and I'm 5KM from the exchange - I was paying eircom 60 a month for 5Mbps broadband for years and I was happy to be able to get it as it allowed me to work from home a couple of days a week

I'm now with Imagine and I'm getting an average of 60 Mbps for the same price and about 15Mbps at it's worst.

For people in a similar situation to me, it's really annoying to hear all the whining and wailing of people who just complain all the time about people who have faster connections them them. If it's that important to your life then move somewhere with FTTH

I don't see anything wrong with his comment. He is paying 60 euros a month for a service that works during the small hours of the morning and early in the day, but unusable in the evening/prime time. Many others are experiencing the same, as you say they have no other choice. It is not good enough to be paying 60 euros and be allowed to get away with this quality of product just because they are the only provider available in many rural areas.

He has had Imagine for year's and it worked well untill recently when he's mast became far more busy, the same could easily happen to you within the next year.

What makes matters worse is Imagine are trying their best to get the NBP changed so that they end up with complete control of another 230,000+ homes for decades to come. If that happens these homes will have no other option but Imagine. If a home in these areas can't get a proper signal to Imagine due to a hill or a tree in the way then it will be very tough for that home to acheive any usable internet. The mast's would also become even more oversubscribed than they are right now and contention would be even worse.

Imagine are up to every dirty trick in the book to spoof customers and to keep their service the only service available in rural areas and that is wrong, there is no sugar coating what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

TBH this sort of comment angers me - for people with no other choice this is better than nothing
    Are you saying unless you have super high speed broadband there in no point in having any ?

Calm down!
    I'm saying the fact that last night and several nights recently, only one device could use the internet here and even then video buffers is a joke
    Calling that 5G or 'super fast broadband ' is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Calm down!
    I'm saying the fact that last night and several nights recently, only one device could use the internet here and even then video buffers is a joke
    Calling that 5G or 'super fast broadband ' is a joke

your getting your comeuppance for Joining Imagine .. There an awful shower with a crap network. cant really expect more that what your getting becuase you just wont get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

WHat I have issue is this specific comment:
    Just did a test in a house over the road from me that have Vodafone Ftth
    Anything else is a JOKE
    I don't see anything wrong with his comment. He is paying 60 euros a month for a service that works during the small hours of the morning and early in the day, but unusable in the evening/prime time. Many others are experiencing the same, as you say they have no other choice. It is not good enough to be paying 60 euros and be allowed to get away with this quality of product just because they are the only provider available in many rural areas.
    The comment above that says anything other than FTTH is a joke doesn't mention any of that

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Out of interest what is imagines contention ratio officially?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

So I've been getting pretty woeful speeds mainly at peak but also now beyond the usual slow periods, midnight last night and was only getting 5mbps on wifi (yes I know wifi but usually such a connection in this part of the house would have been about 30mbps) and checking it on my PC which is connected through powerline adaptors saw it sit at about 11mbps. Thought about if it was for some strange reason the idea we're using a 2nd router on bridge mode so connected my PC directly into the gemtek router.

6PM speeds right now on said PC:
    8679601851.png

5PM:
    8679429792.png

3:30PM:
    8679196414.png

It's actually sad how you can watch it fall like that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's actually sad how you can watch it fall like that.

Those speeds really are dropping/falling off a cliff. It seems the drop starts as soon as the kids get home from school and just get's worse as the evening progresses. Of course Imagine will tell you it's either a faulty router, or a virus/spyware on your pc or they will offer to change you to a different mast.

They know full well they have completely oversubscribed their network for maximum profit and will never admit that. There is no way to fix this congestion without them buying up more space and bandwidth or getting rid of half their customers.

WHat I have issue is this specific comment:

The comment above that says anything other than FTTH is a joke doesn't mention any of that

Again Relax
    Anything other than fibre IS actually a joke because anything other than fibre is subject to the issues I have and the false excuses given
    That will not change until fibre is everywhere
    It's a good stop gap until it stops working

Btw,I've had no call yet to switch out the modem
    So I'm expected to make do with 2 or 3 mb until its 'fixed'
    Even though I know it won't be
    There's service for you..

No call from them yet for to change the router

But the speed right now from my 'broken' router is a very acceptable 60mb...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Now

8683092784.png

• Advertisement

Those speed tests should be emailed to the government. 5meg download billed as 150. Scandalous

Aye
    Mine dropped back to 5 shortly after the test I posted the above test
    Internet radio started to buffer when testing
    It’s a disgrace
    No phone call on replacing the modem either
    They’re not even making an effort
    I put a pinned tweet up explaining my disgust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Funnily enough, I didn't see mine drop below 15 mbps last night. Was 50+ at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭user1842

My parents are on the Ballina mast and were getting about 25Mb download peak speeds.

Imagine called to their house today to upgrade their service to 5G ready.

Instead of upgrading their service, they are cancelling it and gave my parents 30 days notice when they will return and remove the equipment.

They say there was not a proper signal and that the house is dragging down the rest of their network. This is of course nonsense and I believe it is all about the signal not giving more than 30Mb download and thus excludes it from the NBP. Imagine never cared about this before now, over two years the house never averaged over 30Mb download.

In 30 days my parents will have no usable internet.

Thank you Imagine, you have left two elderly people who live on there own with no internet, purely to prove that you are NBP compliant.

user1842 wrote: »
    My parents are on the Ballina mast and were getting about 25Mb download peak speeds.

Instead of upgrading their service, they are cancelling it and gave my parents 30 days notice when they will return and remove the equipment.

They say there was not a proper signal and that the house is dragging down the rest of their network. This is of course nonsense and I believe it is all about the signal not give more than 30Mb download and thus excludes it from NBP. Imagine never cared about this before now, over two years the house never averaged over 30Mb download.

Thank you Imagine, you have left two elderly people who live on there own with no internet, purely to prove that you are NBP compliant.

TBH I don't think that's the reason. I'm at a loss to see what is though. My thinking why it's unrelated to the nbp is that imagine are supposedly able to cover certain areas within the nbp. If they can't provide it for a house that is within their "coverage" then they're shooting themselves in the foot. Nbp will still have to cover that one off house. It'd be a mess. There's many reasons imagine can't succeed in removing homes from the nbp and your parents house is one of the main ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It's well known in wireless technology that a poorly performing client will drag down the performance of the rest of the sector. Your parents connection may just have been tolerable on the old system but the upgrade is likely using higher modulation rates and therefore needs higher signal to noise so they had to be removed. It's unfortunate for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭user1842

It's well known in wireless technology that a poorly performing client will drag down the performance of the rest of the sector. Your parents connection may just have been tolerable on the old system but the upgrade is likely using higher modulation rates and therefore needs higher signal to noise so they had to be removed. It's unfortunate for them.

Can they not just keep them on the old system?

They will leave them with nothing. My parents are genuinely panicking, a lad shows up to their house, says he will improve their internet and then removes it instead.

That is a disgrace.

They will leave them with nothing. My parents are genuinely panicking, a lad shows up to their house, says he will improve their internet and then removes it instead.

That is a disgrace.

Imagine are a disgrace.
    Imagine if the installers call around to everyone's homes after 5pm, they would be removing most installs around the country with all the contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That is a disgrace.

No.

The new deployment is the only frequency allocation Imagine will have. Everything else already belongs to others (mainly Vodafone).

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

They say there was not a proper signal and that the house is dragging down the rest of their network. This is of course nonsense and I believe it is all about the signal not giving more than 30Mb download and thus excludes it from the NBP. Imagine never cared about this before now, over two years the house never averaged over 30Mb download.

Ask them to try Three with external antenna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Ask them to try Three with external antenna

How does that work? I have a three router as well (employers pay for it) and I only use it for PlayStation because of cap. It is in a terrible location to maximise signal and i was wondering if the external areas can be sourced locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

How does that work? I have a three router as well (employers pay for it) and I only use it for PlayStation because of cap. It is in a terrible location to maximise signal and i was wondering if the external areas can be sourced locally?

This one if you only need 5 metre cable
    https://www.irishwireless.net/3g-4g-antennas/xpol-a0001

And this on if you need 10 metre cable
    https://www.marotec.it/en/antennas-for-modem-router-3g/611-antenna-log-mrt-8727l-for-4g-lte-3g-with-h155-10mt-cable-and-sma-m.html

What router do you have?.
    Those antennas have sma connection

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    This one if you only need 5 metre cable
    https://www.irishwireless.net/3g-4g-antennas/xpol-a0001

Very weird ....... when I click that link the browser tries to go here

https://go.skimresources.com/?id=61111X1383796&isjs=1&jv=13.23.5-stackpath&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D111544692%23post111544692&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishwireless.net%2F3g-4g-antennas%2Fxpol-a0001&xguid=&xs=1&xtz=-60&xuuid=1f0780f9358d84db518d20ea2c5c4ed2

I can copy and paste it and go to correct URL!

And this on if you need 10 metre cable
    https://www.marotec.it/en/antennas-for-modem-router-3g/611-antenna-log-mrt-8727l-for-4g-lte-3g-with-h155-10mt-cable-and-sma-m.html

What router do you have?.
    Those antennas have sma connection

Similar occurs with this link .....

Apparently a browser problem ...... weird .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Do you know anyone with an unlocked mobile broadband 4g router or even an unlocked phone. Or indeed have family members with mobiles on different networks. You could then trial signals and speeds on different networks. In my case I was on three and my wife on Vodafone. Both got good signals, but Vodafone had the better speeds. However Vodafones data allowances were too low. Three are said to throttle a lot so speeds get poor at peak times. I then got an Eir mobile broadband sim for 30 a month for 50gb. Speeds are good 10-30 most of the time. Eir now also offer unlimited data on their phone sim for 20 a month, which should also work in an unlocked router. But all of this is location specific, hence the suggestion to trial and error. And I seem to get better speeds from the router over a phone in most cases. Guess that's down to better antenna, I have a Huawei B593s-22. I did try an external one, but didn't improve in my case, probably cause I see 4-5 bar signal where I've placed it. That is also the key, placement. You can use this website to see what masts are close and if they are 3g/4g enabled. Click on the location marker to expand it to see the providor(s) that are on that mast.

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie

I've been with them 3 years now I think
    More than 2 anyway
    I presume I don't have to give 30 days notice to leave
    It's a case of ringing up and me cancelling the recurring card payment?
    Current month is paid until 17th November

No call on switching out the modem
    5mb atm

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I've been with them 3 years now I think
    More than 2 anyway
    I presume I don't have to give 30 days notice to leave
    It's a case of ringing up and me cancelling the recurring card payment?
    Current month is paid until 17th November

No call on switching out the modem
    5mb atm

I think you do have to give 30 days notice. I'm nearly sure I did when leaving them and I was with them much longer than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Quick question to anyone who is more knowledgeable than me on this.

So Ive been with Lightnet (fixed wireless) for the last year with little to 0 issues. I recently received a flyer through the door saying Imagine is available in my area now.

Shortly after this, Lightnet service has completely fallen off a cliff. Where I was getting speeds of 30mb prior to this, I am now lucky especially during peak hours if I get more than 4mb.

Is there a chance they are using the same mast, infrastructure?

joe123 wrote: »
    Quick question to anyone who is more knowledgeable than me on this.

So Ive been with Lightnet (fixed wireless) for the last year with little to 0 issues. I recently received a flyer through the door saying Imagine is available in my area now.

Shortly after this, Lightnet service has completely fallen off a cliff. Where I was getting speeds of 30mb prior to this, I am now lucky especially during peak hours if I get more than 4mb.

Is there a chance they are using the same mast, infrastructure?

They could be using the same mast but Imagine use licensed frequencies whereas, I presume, Lightnet do not so they really should not be interfering with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They could be using the same mast but Imagine use licensed frequencies whereas, I presume, Lightnet do not so they really should not be interfering with each other.

According to Comreg Lightnet transitioned out of its last remaining 3.6 GHz licenced area at the end of July, probably using one of the unlicensed bands now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

gooner99 wrote: »
    Do you know anyone with an unlocked mobile broadband 4g router or even an unlocked phone. Or indeed have family members with mobiles on different networks. You could then trial signals and speeds on different networks. In my case I was on three and my wife on Vodafone. Both got good signals, but Vodafone had the better speeds. However Vodafones data allowances were too low. Three are said to throttle a lot so speeds get poor at peak times. I then got an Eir mobile broadband sim for 30 a month for 50gb. Speeds are good 10-30 most of the time. Eir now also offer unlimited data on their phone sim for 20 a month, which should also work in an unlocked router. But all of this is location specific, hence the suggestion to trial and error. And I seem to get better speeds from the router over a phone in most cases. Guess that's down to better antenna, I have a Huawei B593s-22. I did try an external one, but didn't improve in my case, probably cause I see 4-5 bar signal where I've placed it. That is also the key, placement. You can use this website to see what masts are close and if they are 3g/4g enabled. Click on the location marker to expand it to see the providor(s) that are on that mast.

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie

Hey quick question, are you aware of any pages that translates mast ID to connected cell ID number as seen in LTE watch or others? as com reg site is lacking details on that.

Advertisement