Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NewWorldLeader

How much usage would you get out of that €20?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

naughto wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on a router that will take a 3 sim and it would be about the same as your phone.
    20euro to up every 28 days

But isn't that still tethering so against their rules so have the right to cut you off at any moment.

You can get a PAYG Broadband sim but it costs more and is not unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

How much usage would you get out of that €20?

https://www.three.ie/plans/sim-only/

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

dashoonage wrote: »
    So ive imagine coming in the morning. I finally caved, sitting here trying to watch netflix on 0.9mbs the other night i just gave in...

Has anyone managed to get access to there DVR over imagine ? They told me on the phone the can put the new router into bridge mode for me and give me a static ip so i can plug it into my netgear so i should be good to just set up port forwarding after that

Yes, you mean security camera or? They set up mine no issue. I have a mesh network behind their router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Up to 24 mb is a standard category reply from the checker
    I get that too
    The reality here is 2 to 3 ie useless altogether as opposed to imagine which to be fair is far from stellar but useable in the evening

Actually I've just realised the up to 24Mbs is because you are too far away for VDSL which is up to 100Mbps so ADSL2+ is used, ADSL2+ has a max speed of 24Mbs but of course you won't get close to that speed at such a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tuxy wrote: »
    Actually I've just realised the up to 24Mbs is because you are too far away for VDSL which is up to 100Mbps so ADSL2+ is used, ADSL2+ has a max speed of 24Mbs but of course you won't get close to that speed at such a distance.

depending on distance and line quality, up to 24 could be anywhere from 0.5meg to 22meg. Before I got FTTH the most I could get was 10 and I am about 2.5km from the exchange, upload was only 0.4. Upload with ADSL2+ is always going to be very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Gonzo wrote: »
    2k is alot of money, but if it means a lifetime of future proofed internet, i'd do it. Imagine is at best a stop gap for those who have no other choice, their quality of service is not reliable from one hour to the next and no future proofing whatsoever. The only thing Imagine have done right is marketing/lying convincing most of their customers that they have 5g, when in fact it's still 4g. Even if it was 5g it would still have all the same problems as 3g and 4g.

It's always been my intention to get it done but it's been on the long finger while Imagine has been useable for me.
    listermint wrote: »
    what sort of ancillary works for 2K ??

250m of new ducting crossing tarmac twice. The old infrastructure was installed above ground by a friend of the previous owner who worked for Eir.

That was a quote I got off a fella with a digger. I can't find anyone willing who has the proper mole equipment to do it without digging a trench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

well , failed install today, no signal at all from a number of sites, now to try and get my install fee back off them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

d31b0y wrote: »
    It's always been my intention to get it done but it's been on the long finger while Imagine has been useable for me.

250m of new ducting crossing tarmac twice. The old infrastructure was installed above ground by a friend of the previous owner who worked for Eir.

That was a quote I got off a fella with a digger. I can't find anyone willing who has the proper mole equipment to do it without digging a trench.

Is there any point at the road that you own?
    Might be cheaper to put a €400 waterproof hut there and cable power in and internet cable out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Anyone here off the Mast near Killavullen, was wondering if they would be any better than Nova, last week my Nova connection has dropped from 30-40mb to around 3mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Is there any point at the road that you own?
    Might be cheaper to put a €400 waterproof hut there and cable power in and internet cable out?

I like your outside the box thinking but I'd have to run power up which would probably cost as much or more than the ducting for the fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

well , failed install today, no signal at all from a number of sites, now to try and get my install fee back off them
    Just curious. How can that happen? Is it not fairly obvious whether they have the right sightlines etc?

d31b0y wrote: »
    I like your outside the box thinking but I'd have to run power up which would probably cost as much or more than the ducting for the fibre.

I think 100 metres of cat 5 E is about 50 euros or less
    Lightest cable possible then for a power supply to just run a light and modem
    Run cable through ordinary waving drain pipes linked together
    If its 200 metres youd have change out of a 1000 inc 4 or 5 hrs for the digger
    Heck Bolands in Arklow would deliver a mini digger to you on a friday and collect on a monday for €100
    Armoured cable maybe 5 or 600 for 200 metres
    Less for light stuff
    Use a mini dog kennel for a house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

plodder wrote: »
    Just curious. How can that happen? Is it not fairly obvious whether they have the right sightlines etc?

a light of sight done of google maps or the likes will never beat a site visit. The came with the equipment and tested two towers and no good. In fairness to the lads they spent an hour trying to get decent signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

a light of sight done of google maps or the likes will never beat a site visit. The came with the equipment and tested two towers and no good. In fairness to the lads they spent an hour trying to get decent signal.

This is one of the (many) reasons why wireless solutions should not be considered for the NBP.

Even if they got a signal, it could be marginal and blocked by trees (or any number of things) next year.

Once a fibre is laid, then barring physical damage, it is there for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Had a lad call today from imagine.

I have two routers set up in the house one upstairs and one downstairs. Needed due to location and concrete floors and walls. I asked if I switch to imagine then can they accomadate this. He said they would give me one router and it would be up to myself to add the second one. He said it's no problem though, you can just YouTube it. It didn't fill me with a lot of confidence. It was also claimed my speeds would never drop due to the system they use (I know that's a lot of crap).

If I was to go with imagine is it easy to add the second router? Router upstairs is a TP Link. We use a baby monitor upstairs through WiFi and can't afford for the router to be down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Jofspring wrote: »
    Had a lad call today from imagine.

I have two routers set up in the house one upstairs and one downstairs. Needed due to location and concrete floors and walls. I asked if I switch to imagine then can they accomadate this. He said they would give me one router and it would be up to myself to add the second one. He said it's no problem though, you can just YouTube it. It didn't fill me with a lot of confidence. It was also claimed my speeds would never drop due to the system they use (I know that's a lot of crap).

If I was to go with imagine is it easy to add the second router? Router upstairs is a TP Link. We use a baby monitor upstairs through WiFi and can't afford for the router to be down.

The second router is acting as an access point so there should be no issues adding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hi,

Just noticed that Imagine 5g broadband is available in my area of west Donegal (Gweedore/Annagry). is there anyone on here from that area using this service. How did/do you find imagine and the service.

Also anyone on here using Imagine 5g broadband for their phone. How does it work, any issues. We're most interested in finding out if it works well with alarms. My mother has a personal alarm system, where she can press a button on her bracelet and it contacts us and the service provider. I guess it would still work?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just noticed that Imagine 5g broadband is available in my area of west Donegal (Gweedore/Annagry). is there anyone on here from that area using this service. How did/do you find imagine and the service.

Also anyone on here using Imagine 5g broadband for their phone. How does it work, any issues. We're most interested in finding out if it works well with alarms. My mother has a personal alarm system, where she can press a button on her bracelet and it contacts us and the service provider. I guess it would still work?

Thanks.

Imagine may be available in your area but it is not 5g. Imagine have no 5g service available anywhere in Ireland, it is 4g LTE.

Imagine's social media team may soon have to start telling people the truth and stop calling their service 5g, unlimited and fibre powered, when in fact their service is 4g, limited data usage and is a wireless product. There is more fibre in a bowl of your favorite cereal than there is with Imagine.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Imagine may be available in your area but it is not 5g. Imagine have no 5g service available anywhere in Ireland, it is 4g LTE.

Imagine's social media team may soon have to start telling people the truth and stop calling their service 5g, unlimited and fibre powered, when in fact their service is 4g, limited data usage and is a wireless product. There is more fibre in a bowl of your favorite cereal than there is with Imagine.

Thanks for the reply. Are you with imagine on the 150 plan?

• Advertisement

They may already have stopped using it to a degree....

Great news, your home is in coverage for Imagine's 5G ready Fixed Broadband Service - we genuinely couldn't be happier and look forward to finally connecting your home to the broadband speed you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi,

Thanks.

There is FTTH around those areas. Have you checked your Eircode on:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

There is FTTH around those areas. Have you checked your Eircode on:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

Unfortunately I'm outside the fibre area.

Thanks for the reply. Are you with imagine on the 150 plan?

I don't have Imagine, but know a few people who do.

Anyone know which router imagine supply with their 150mbit 5g ready service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

A Gemtek, white, double antenna, lots of blue circular lights on top.... Icould track down a picture if you need one. It came in a box with the roof antenna.

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    A Gemtek, white, double antenna, lots of blue circular lights on top.... Icould track down a picture if you need one. It came in a box with the roof antenna.

TT

If you have one handy that would be great. Great that it has antennas. How do you find the WiFi range. Do you use the phone service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

This is it...

LTE Cat 12 Single Mode LE Outdoor CPE w/ Indoor IAD

on this page.... https://www.gemteks.com/en/products/wireless-broadband/outdoor-cpe

I would say the range is slightly better than the old Gemtek I had, I can get a signal across the lane in my workshop, only at the small windows though, about 35 feet away. I live in a double building stone cottage and get a signal everywhere. The router is in my kitchen. I have a cordless phone and that is fine, the clarity is good although the phone range is limited.

TT

Anyone know which router imagine supply with their 150mbit 5g ready service?

It's a 'sometimes mainly in the daytime 150mb but mainly 5 to 20mb unless you're on a new mast and then not for long as they'llover fill it,5g ready me hole service'
    To be precise
    Imagine doesn't have any 5g spectrum and won't have because they didn't buy any
    Please don't use the 5g ready term here thank you

If that description is too long 'Pants or soon to be pants' will suffice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

If Nova and Imagine are coming the same tower will the service be similar speed wise?

Advertisement