Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Speed is good now, I came here to show how bad the service in the last few days, I got this speed, hopefully it will stay

8589641329.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

I get at least 10 down and up with Eir Prepay Mobile broadband in a proper router. €30 a month for 50gb, which suffices most months. . So works pretty well I guess. But the sounds of things I might not get much better with imagine, bar the download limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Gonzo wrote: »
    Imagine may be available in your area but it is not 5g. Imagine have no 5g service available anywhere in Ireland, it is 4g LTE.

Imagine's social media team may soon have to start telling people the truth and stop calling their service 5g, unlimited and fibre powered, when in fact their service is 4g, limited data usage and is a wireless product. There is more fibre in a bowl of your favorite cereal than there is with Imagine.

A lot of their high sites are supplied by fibre backhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    If Nova and Imagine are coming the same tower will the service be similar speed wise?

The equipment used and spectrum, the number of users on a sector would differentiate the products. Just because they share the same tower doesn't mean they are comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

The equipment used and spectrum, the number of users on a sector would differentiate the products. Just because they share the same tower doesn't mean they are comparable.

I'm getting around 10mb on Nova these days I'll prob just stick with um till Fibre comes along but the advertised speeds on Imagine would be nice for downloading games off-peak.
    I suppose noone on here is off the Killavullen mast and could chime in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

nova is consistently getting worse, the past week after 8pm less than 2mb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

BArra wrote: »
    nova is consistently getting worse, the past week after 8pm less than 2mb

Yeah noticed that aswell all summer I had easily 30-40mb at night but now between 2 and 10mb and it varies alot. It really feels like they have added too many I'm considering Imagine but they probably have similar issues. I was considering upgrading to sky Q for 4k content but without constant speeds I'll hold off for abit to see if Nova improves or if I'll need to wait for fibre or try imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Yeah noticed that aswell all summer I had easily 30-40mb at night but now between 2 and 10mb and it varies alot. It really feels like they have added too many I'm considering Imagine but they probably have similar issues. I was considering upgrading to sky Q for 4k content but without constant speeds I'll hold off for abit to see if Nova improves or if I'll need to wait for fibre or try imagine

I'm on Nova, and I have strong suspicions that they have some selective throttling. Specifically, subjective testing suggests that they cap the bandwidth for Netflix to just enough to support 1080p. I've _never_ got 4k working on my Nova connection, even though I've seen Youtube 4k HDR videos working without issue on the same connection (using bandwidth much larger than required for Netflix 4k (which starts around 11Mbps). I have Vodafone Mobile Broadband as a second ISP, and that is able run Netflix @ 4k (beware the cap though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

d31b0y wrote: »
    It's always been my intention to get it done but it's been on the long finger while Imagine has been useable for me.

250m of new ducting crossing tarmac twice. The old infrastructure was installed above ground by a friend of the previous owner who worked for Eir.

That was a quote I got off a fella with a digger. I can't find anyone willing who has the proper mole equipment to do it without digging a trench.

Solar powered setup with battery. Terminate cable into cable modem and forward it on using Wireless point to point

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fars.electronica.art%2Fnextidea%2Ffiles%2F2010%2F12%2FS-3g-WiFi-v3.png&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fars.electronica.art%2Fnextidea%2Fintelligent-solar-powered-3g-wifi-broadband-access%2F&docid=eOWU6WnSIMakGM&tbnid=9GQTghcX3uYvFM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwi_tLvKotXkAhXO4IUKHUmtA3wQMwjjASgIMAg..i&w=2550&h=3300&bih=969&biw=1920&q=battery%20and%20solar%20powered%20router&ved=0ahUKEwi_tLvKotXkAhXO4IUKHUmtA3wQMwjjASgIMAg&iact=mrc&uact=8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Here's a good one for ye!

Emailed Imagine Support few weeks ago about the terrible speeds I've been getting last few weeks at peak hours (5Mb down / 1Mb Up / 50+ pings).

Here was their instant automated reply:
    Your query is important to us and a member of our Technical Support Team will contact you and deal with this issue promptly.
    Imagine is committed to providing a prompt and efficient customer support service and we will make every effort to resolve your queries as quickly as possible.

Someone actually responded 12 days later! (I sent them a reminder email after 6 days telling them they should consider removing some of those lines from their automated email)
    They actually lied through their teeth in this email saying their notes show someone was unable to get through to my phone and they left a voicemail.
    I've no missed calls from them and no voicemails.

I replied stating this and asking for the date and time of this so called voicemail.
    They replied and ignored my request, instead asking what issues I am having with my service (After I giving them a detailed breakdown in previous emails).

I know I should just call them, it would be quicker but I know how the conversation is going to go.
    Please disconnected all devices, insert ethernet cable, run speed test, bla bla bla....done it all already, it's your CRAPPY OVER SUBSCRIBED NETWORK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Works today on the mast we're connected to. Doubt it's gonna improve the deceased upload speeds we suffered after the last "optimisation".

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Batfink69

Big push on in Donegal currently. Rep came round, did the sell, we're very rural so it sounded great. Just had the follow up call; site up and running, looking for upto 3 x 150 customers, running at 3.6GHz(?), 100% fiber not hybrid or copper.

I asked what's the minimum guaranteed speed as I'd had problems with a similar product in the past (speed dropping badly and losing connection for minutes or even days). He couldn't offer a minimum speed but said the T&C's covered the quality of service, i.e. there would be no freezing or buffering day or night. I asked where this was stated as I had the T&C's on the screen at the moment. He said they are pages long and that he could call back after I'd read them. I explained I have a 4k TV and Netflix and would the system be good enough for this during the evenings. He said if there was a problem all I had to do was contact them and if it couldn't be fixed then the contract could be terminated.

If I believed this I would have signed up instantly.

I currently have a Three SIM/router and €30 per month contract. Setting this up on 4G gives really bad speeds at night so I have to turn it down to 3G which is fine most of the time. Evening can go as low as 4Mb. My main problem is on line gaming where the ping goes mad and sometimes get disconnected during a Rocket League game.

The map shows I have years to wait for Fibre even though it's only 1 mile away.

I told Imagine to call me back if they would offer a minimum speed as I wouldn't sign up without it. The phone has stayed silent!

It's a new mast (shared with others) and it's 10km away and I have line of sight.

Am I doing the right thing??

Bren.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

Batfink69 wrote: »
    100% fiber not hybrid or copper.

Indeed. Did he explain the magical process by which this fibre gets from the mast to your house? Unless the fibre terminates in your home (FTTH), then it is not 100% fibre.

As to whether you did the right thing; that's up to you I suppose, but you were certainly right to highlight their refusal (inability) to guarantee a minimum speed.

"Up-to" claims are meaningless if the minimum is unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Batfink69

Big push on in Donegal currently. Rep came round, did the sell, we're very rural so it sounded great. Just had the follow up call; site up and running, looking for upto 3 x 150 customers, running at 3.6GHz(?), 100% fiber not hybrid or copper.

Sorry, I meant Fiber at the mast

Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got a leaflet through the door saying imagine is available withan installation discount voucher, check on there checker to see if its available (we are in a hollow so certain directions are blocked) get a call from imagine who then say my eircode isnt available so stuck with 2mb on the phoneline

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

got a leaflet through the door saying imagine is available withan installation discount voucher, check on there checker to see if its available (we are in a hollow so certain directions are blocked) get a call from imagine who then say my eircode isnt available so stuck with 2mb on the phoneline

Have you tried Three with external antenna?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭dam099

Bren

I thinks hes still blowing smoke, never heard of copper to the mast, I believe its either Fibre or Microwave/Radio backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

So to report back our speeds improved for a day and are now back to being ****. Business as usual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bren

Imagine is FTTN (Fibre To The Nothing)

It is a wireless service. Nothing more, nothing less.
    and it's 4g wireless as well, not 5g as Imagine keep signing this from the rooftops.

I can't believe the rep actually told you that Imagine is a fibre product.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well some of their sites may have fiber backhaul. Some. But really Imagine LTE is all bull**** just like their WiMax product was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Even if some of the masts are powered by fibre, that does not mean the customer is getting a fibre connection. The customer only receives a wireless signal just like Vodafone/Eir/Three mobile.

The only thing that matters to the customer is how near the mast is to the home, that they have perfect line of sight and then start praying and hoping that the mast isn't oversubscribed.

VDSL is a similar situation, it ain't fibre and the distance to the cabinet makes all the difference between a decent connection and ADSL speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know this has nothing to do with Imagine but I am on 2Mb connection due to being so far from cabinet but I am less than a kilometer away from a fibre connection. Why don't they do some sort of box and join to copper at the last fibre stop for the rest of us further down the line. Like we would get far superior speeds than we can get now. I don't know much about it but is that possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

ED E wrote: »
    Well some of their sites may have fiber backhaul. Some. But really Imagine LTE is all bull**** just like their WiMax product was.

The latest I've heard is Imagine want to use the new iarnród Éireann masts that are springing up all over the shop
    Those do have fibre but none of them are high sites
    One things for sure,the national broadband contract needs to be signed Asap or FF will cancel it when they go into coalition with Sinn Féin and labour and thats a certain prospect come next election

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I know this has nothing to do with Imagine but I am on 2Mb connection due to being so far from cabinet but I am less than a kilometer away from a fibre connection. Why don't they do some sort of box and join to copper at the last fibre stop for the rest of us further down the line. Like we would get far superior speeds than we can get now. I don't know much about it but is that possible?

It's called G.FAST, and open eir have decided that the future is fibre to the premises, not fibre to the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's called G.FAST, and open eir have decided that the future is fibre to the premises, not fibre to the pole.

So it is possible. That's all great and good but I don't have fibre to the premises and will not have for I don't know how many years in the future so why don't they just install that box as a stop gap until they decide to connect the rest of us up to their fibre.

oscarBravo wrote: »

Eir were very close to deploying it nearly a year ago. I remember Airwire's checker for a while were quoting G.fast speeds with speeds up to 250 meg from cabinets.

I think Eir should have went for it, as it would have been a decent stop-gap while FTTH for urban areas gets rolled out. Now they will have to stay on the up to 100 meg VDSL for another few years. I've no idea how long it will take Eir to roll out FTTH to urban areas but it will probably take years before it's available to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

So it is possible. That's all great and good but I don't have fibre to the premises and will not have for I don't know how many years in the future so why don't they just install that box as a stop gap until they decide to connect the rest of us up to their fibre.

Money!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Most likely because they exist for the benefit of their shareholders and not for your benefit, and their resources/monies are better spent elsewhere considering their goal.

As a commercial entity that is their decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eir were very close to deploying it nearly a year ago. I remember Airwire's checker for a while were quoting G.fast speeds with speeds up to 250 meg from cabinets.

I think Eir should have went for it, as it would have been a decent stop-gap while FTTH for urban areas gets rolled out. Now they will have to stay on the up to 100 meg VDSL for another few years. I've no idea how long it will take Eir to roll out FTTH to urban areas but it will probably take years before it's available to all.

That was supervectoring. Not G.Fast. G.Fast can't co-exist with other technologies.

Either way, it was scrapped by OpenEir in favour of rolling out FTTH eventually.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 xtreme rebel

I’m getting a new router from Imagine this week. I was told
    It was a Gentek Cat 12 WLTGG 123

I don’t suppose someone has one of these and could post a photo of it?

Advertisement