Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Hi Gonzo is that 20 from eir pretty consistent? I've tried both Vodafone and 3 but not eir

No area will be the same
    Every mast has different customers with different habits
    Some will be worse than others
    Distance is an issue too
    You'll only know by trying an Éir sim for a week
    Its shoite where I am
    Three is decent here but does go under 10 in the evening
    Voda is shoite where I am

Current speed lunchtime on barrackcroghan north wexford
    Not bad!
    If its daytime use you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭clohamon

Just searched this thread for Galway and Mayo references, but none that I see are from West Mayo (Achill) or West Galway (Clifden). Their google coverage map seems to indicate available service...

491658.png

....but the hard copy maps and local advertising in Mayo and Galway says otherwise. Anyone got service in those areas?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hi Gonzo is that 20 from eir pretty consistent? I've tried both Vodafone and 3 but not eir

Sadly I made the mistake of leaving Eir mobile about 6 months ago. The signal was very consistent, their mast happens to be about 400 meters from my home so that explains the decent signal. Could be different where you are.

I switched to Three to save money and have a better data allowance at the time, and I really regret it as Three's signal is brutal where I live. I do have Eir FTTH which is great but once I go outside into the garden and lose wifi coverage, Three's signal kicks in and it's so bad that I can't even load Google or Instagram. I'm going to switch back to Eir mobile in the new year, now that their 'no data limit' is limited to 80 gigs per month for 20 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Galway

8610089403.png

8610092583.png

I am glad I stayed with my local wireless provider with consistant peak speeds and did not fall for the imagine marketing lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Getting 0.5mb download at the moment here in Clare. Absolute joke for 60 quid a month. Moving to siro next week. Can't wait.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Getting 0.5mb download at the moment here in Clare. Absolute joke for 60 quid a month. Moving to siro next week. Can't wait.

that will be some difference. How come your with Imagine, if Siro are in your area?

It only arrived in the last few months. Had been meaning to switch since it went live but I finally bit the bullet this week. Speeds are shockingly bad. Daytime speeds are reasonable (maybe 20mb on a good day) but evenings are ridiculous. 3 to 6 mb on a good evening,. Can't play PS4. Can just about manage to watch Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Imagine called me last week and also called out to the house doing the hard sell on the new 5g enabled service. I am 21 km from the Tonabrocky mast with line of sight across Lough Corrib. I'm currently on Three 4g broadband and like many here FTTH will be coming to the top of my boreen but no further. (about 1KM away).
    Three isn't bad - sometimes drops to 3 or 4Mbps during evenings..(switching to 3G often helps). At the moment I'm getting 30Mbps up and down on 4G.

Given the distance I am from the mast (and I've no line of sight to the Abbeyknockmoy mast) I'm am extremely dubious that Imagine's speeds will be any better than Three.

Am I right to be concerned about distance to the mast?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

SalteeDog wrote: »
    Imagine called me last week and also called out to the house doing the hard sell on the new 5g enabled service. I am 21 km from the Tonabrocky mast with line of sight across Lough Corrib. I'm currently on Three 4g broadband and like many here FTTH will be coming to the top of my boreen but no further. (about 1KM away).
    Three isn't bad - sometimes drops to 3 or 4Mbps during evenings..(switching to 3G often helps). At the moment I'm getting 30Mbps up and down on 4G.

Given the distance I am from the mast (and I've no line of sight to the Abbeyknockmoy mast) I'm am extremely dubious that Imagine's speeds will be any better than Three.

Look up at the speed tests above I joined Imagine but I still have Three, not huge difference in the evening, in the early morning Imagine is fast.

• Advertisement

Yes

Imagine operate a set maximum distance that you can be from a certain mast. I'm near the limits of the mast that I'm currently connected to. I had their engineers out last year when I complained about poor speeds. They decided the problem wasn't distance, it was a line of sight affected by trees in a field some distance from my house. Just for kicks they turned my receiver towards a second mast that was further away and I was getting 50mb speeds!! They contacted imagine right away to inform them of this but imagine said that because I was three Kms over their distance limit, they would refuse to connect me to that mast permanently.
    So for me, line of sight followed by severe contention especially in evening times, seems to be the big let down with this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Imagine operate a set maximum distance that you can be from a certain mast. I'm near the limits of the mast that I'm currently connected to. I had their engineers out last year when I complained about poor speeds. They decided the problem wasn't distance, it was a line of sight affected by trees in a field some distance from my house. Just for kicks they turned my receiver towards a second mast that was further away and I was getting 50mb speeds!! They contacted imagine right away to inform them of this but imagine said that because I was three Kms over their distance limit, they would refuse to connect me to that mast permanently.
    So for me, line of sight followed by severe contention especially in evening times, seems to be the big let down with this company.

Thanks folks. I reckon I'll stay put for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Whats the craic with billpay on imagine, my accounts showing -100 and no transactions - do they just use the card you set the account up with in the first place or do I have to call them up and set up direct debt?

I was assuming that you could just pay through their portal but i don't see any way of doing that.

It's a recurring charge on the card you give them

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It's a recurring charge on the card you give them

Cheers Mortelaro, I see you can pay directly via their support line as well. Apparently the connection is down at home but will have to wait to get back and check if its my second router causing it, hopefully not a bill mixup.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Anyone have experience of the Nagle mountain mast in Cork, I am currently on the Knockraha mast and it has become unworkable at peak times since August. They are sending a technician to move me to Nagle and I am just curious if it is a waste of time?

Anyone have experience of the Nagle mountain mast in Cork, I am currently on the Knockraha mast and it has become unworkable at peak times since August. They are sending a technician to move me to Nagle and I am just curious if it is a waste of time?

That's a defacto admission by them that they're changing their arm over subscribing masts or that their technology is not fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FunkyFr3sh

Gonzo wrote: »
    have you tried all mobile operators? At my location I can only get 0.5meg from 3, 4 from Vodafone and over 20 from Eir mobile.

I'm on Three's €20 a month "unlimited" plan and use my phone for tethering. I could switch to another provider to get faster 4G speeds but then I would lose my 2TB a month from Three. Quantity over Quality with Three, that's for sure.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    That's a defacto admission by them that they're changing their arm over subscribing masts or that their technology is not fit for purpose

I have a folder full of screen tests that prove that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Seen about 5 vans roaming around knockmore and Ballina in County Mayo the last week selling the dream to a few people.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Seen about 5 vans roaming around knockmore and Ballina in County Mayo the last week selling the dream to a few people.

That figures. There's a bunch of FTTH going live south of Ballina in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Switched over to Imagine a month ago;

8653977706.png

And FAST.com giving 170mbps

Rather happy with that, after being stuck using THREE's 4G offering [which was often around the 5MB mark from the supposed "up to" 50mb]. Those speeds, living out in the sticks (countryside).

BeerWolf wrote: »

8653977706.png

Rather happy with that, after being stuck using THREE's 4G offering [which was often around the 5MB mark from the supposed "up to" 50mb]. Those speeds, living out in the sticks (countryside).

Keep in mind that as contention goes up that'll probably go down unfortunately. Yer hardly on one of the new Donegal masts?

I signed up 3 weeks ago myself and getting similar speeds still but I signed up knowing full well that it'll end up just like three, vodafone and the fixed WISP I had a few years back once they over-subscribe. I'm giving this one 3-6 months before issues start cropping up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

8653977706.png

Enjoy it while you can as it won't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

8653977706.png

It used to be like that for me, now the only difference between Imagine and Three is the price.

8653977706.png

Enjoy it while it lasts
    It won't
    Mind you it lasted a year or so with me
    That test is in the middle of the day
    I actually still get speeds up to 170 in the daytime
    But it goes to.pot in the evening

8655229220.png

Every evening since I got the text about the 5g upgrade, coming up on 3 months now after 3 years of perfect service

And because Imagine are lying about contention

8655426823.png

• Advertisement

8655229220.png

Every evening since I got the text about the 5g upgrade, coming up on 3 months now after 3 years of perfect service

You need to leave them and state their 1 Mb fibre service as the reason...
    What in the name of God are you paying €59 a month for that crap for?

Advertisement