Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

people should be informed about the security risk that is hole open on UPC , understood the part thats been removed, agreed . just UPC are not as safe as they lead you to believe . Vectoring hacks are growing by the day as its new technology also.

Getting back on track apologies to the Mod for swinging my genitalia a bit .

https://www.engineersireland.ie/EngineersIreland/media/SiteMedia/groups/Divisions/electrical-electronic/Technical_Trial_of_Broadband_IPInternet_over_ESB_Power_Networks.pdf?ext=.pdf

This has the design spec and some nice images of how to spot if they are rolling out in your town or not. Test phase info in there also as it seemed that the early stages of tests were going to be abandoned all together. Enter Vodafone who have already deployed similar networks in other European countries in tandem with power suppliers.

Cannot wait for ESB to crush Eircom , its going to happen eventually. Eircom have not got the financial muster or investment to go ftth where as ESB/Voda do.

Its an old doc but just to show how long they have this in the pipeline and possibly some of the termination tech is now of a more recent technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

dbit wrote: »

https://www.engineersireland.ie/EngineersIreland/media/SiteMedia/groups/Divisions/electrical-electronic/Technical_Trial_of_Broadband_IPInternet_over_ESB_Power_Networks.pdf?ext=.pdf

This has the design spec and some nice images of how to spot if they are rolling out in your town or not. Test phase info in there also as it seemed that the early stages of tests were going to be abandoned all together. Enter Vodafone who have already deployed similar networks in other European countries in tandem with power suppliers.

Cannot wait for ESB to crush Eircom , its going to happen eventually. Eircom have not got the financial muster or investment to go ftth where as ESB/Voda do.

Its an old doc but just to show how long they have this in the pipeline and possibly some of the termination tech is now of a more recent technology.

Is that not about IP on the power lines rather than the present roll-out of fibre cable strung along with power lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is that not about IP on the power lines rather than the present roll-out of fibre cable strung along with power lines?

It is, and thus isnt very relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

dbit wrote: »

Did you read any of the pdf? It has nothing to do with FTTH, it concludes that the whole trial was a complete flop.

• Advertisement

I did mention on this that its old , and that its referring to outdated technology more to show ESB have been trying to engineer a solution since 2006 .

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

I was wondering how the EU JV application was progressing so I visited the Commissions site only to learn that "the European Commission has 25 working days after a deal is filed for a first-stage review. It may extend that by 10 working days to 35 working days, to consider either a company's proposed remedies or an EU member state's request to handle the case.
    Most mergers win approval but occasionally the Commission opens a detailed second-stage investigation for up to 90 additional working days, which it may extend to 105 working days".

It seems that the first stage review should complete by 31st October having been lodged with the EU on 29th September though the timeframe would indicate a 35 day timeframe for some reason or other.

Hopefully this can move on quickly to enable commencement of the roll-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 doconn

While the technology is there and everyone seems pretty sure this will happen, actual rollout dates still seem a bit vague.

Has anyone (someone mentioned a rollout in Cavan already?) actually subscribed to a test phase yet?

I've emailed ESB and Vodafone to see if they can shed any (bright) light on it? Nothing yet though....

Here in Co. Laois, there is talk that early 2015 is a distinct possibility

(although hopeful broadband gossip is nothing new to rural areas...)

Any insight welcome....tks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The towns the ESB will target have been named publically. Are you living in one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 doconn

hi... I'm living about 4km outside Portlaoise which is a targeted town...I expect it will happen but would like to have a better idea of when (before I change FWA/satellite providers again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ordin73

Ok Guys I had the Fibre Installed..and have a few pics
    324593.jpg

324595.jpg

324596.jpg

324598.jpg

324604.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Is it working? Is it 1Gbps?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Nice. How long did it take?

Is the service active yet?

Do you still have the old broadband connection i.e do you still have both?

324605.jpg
    324614.jpg
    324607.jpg
    324608.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Is it active? Speed? We need the infoozzzz!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

It's beautiful!

At the moment I have still have my Eircom fibre Broadband AND the new Esb/Vodafone Fibre as advised by the installers. The main reason for this is the service is still in its early stages and the connection "may" be inconsistent as testing and maintenance continues.

The installation was very efficient, the conduit was previously installed and they just had to feed the connecting cable thru to the ESB meter box. Then a outside box was installed. A single hole was drilled into the house, the cable passed in, and then fitted to a simple white wall plate. This is then connected to the "Alcatel Lucent" ie the black box in the photograph. I was told that this is where the light is converted to data and in-turn this connects to the router.
    The router used is a white Huawei HG659.
    I haven't done any proper speed tests as yet but when I can I will let you know all the results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Ordin73 wrote: »
    At the moment I have still have my Eircom fibre Broadband AND the new Esb/Vodafone Fibre as advised by the installers. The main reason for this is the service is still in its early stages and the connection "may" be inconsistent as testing and maintenance continues.

The installation was very efficient, the conduit was previously installed and they just had to feed the connecting cable thru to the ESB meter box. Then a outside box was installed. A single hole was drilled into the house, the cable passed in, and then fitted to a simple white wall plate. This is then connected to the "Alcatel Lucent" ie the black box in the photograph. I was told that this is where the light is converted to data and in-turn this connects to the router.
    I haven't done any proper speed tests as yet but when I can I will let you know all the results :)

Its like fecking Christmas! ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

How did you get picked for the trial?

Ordin73 wrote: »

Its like fecking Christmas! ;)

• Advertisement

TCP/IP wrote: »
    How did you get picked for the trial?

As far as I know three estates in Cavan town were chosen for the trial but I have no idea how this decision was arrived at. I was told by the engineers on the job that about 150 houses have agreed to sign up for the trial so far but there are reps going door to door today encouraging people to sign up for it.

Hey Ordin anyone moving out in your estate soon?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Would be great if this gets going in my area.
    Leave us know how its goes . Hopefully it kicks ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Let us know speed tests when you can, great pics of the install

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Good to see the hardware setup at last.

I'm very pleased with my own eircom efibre but if this baby is ready for roll-out in Letterkenny after the next six months I'll be jumping ship again... Unless eircom run one of those fibres to the back of my house from that future proofed huawei cab just down the road from me.

Why do I feel like a turncoat all of a sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whopper. Fitted the exact same way as eircom are doing it only with an Alcatel ONT.

Only thing thats disappointing is who theyve contracted in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Speedtest.net !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

doconn wrote: »
    hi... I'm living about 4km outside Portlaoise which is a targeted town...I expect it will happen but would like to have a better idea of when (before I change FWA/satellite providers again)
    Well, you're not in a targetted town then unfortunately but living well outside one (for the purposes of BB, even if it only takes 5 mins in the car). I doubt you'll be getting FTTH in this initial rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Woah! You're so so lucky!

So exciting even seeing the setup you have!

What's it costing ye may I ask?

Time to move myself and the gf to Cavan haha.

Advertisement