Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we over the annual poppy thread?

Options

Comments

Jawgap wrote: »
    Poppy "fascists" are just as wrong as anti-poppy "fascists" - if people want to wear it or not let them get on with it.

And I’ve already said I agree with this. Plus whatever sport one plays should have absolutely nothing to do with the honesty of a person that holds this view.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,133 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm not going to even my wit to you but I was referring to the assumption made of "British Apologists" and my "nailing colours to the mast" or being "keen to get us to accept British rule". Absolute bile without cause, proof, or truth.
    So what are you doing then?
    The absolute bile that has to be listened to when you object to wearing something that has most definitely been modified to support (rather than commemorate dead soldiers) the dying gasps of British imperialism is classic hat doffing Irish insecurity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

So tell us from the point of view of someone 'who has suffered more' what is hogwash about it?

I'm not going to even my wit to you but I was referring to the assumption made of "British Apologists" and my "nailing colours to the mast" or being "keen to get us to accept British rule". Absolute  bile without cause, proof, or truth.
    He must expect the Protestants to just disappear or something. As you say it is absolute drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So what are you doing then?
    The absolute bile that has to be listened to when you object to wearing something that has most definitely been modified to support (rather than commemorate dead soldiers) the dying gasps of British imperialism is classic hat doffing Irish insecurity.

You've lost me. I objected to nothing. I said if someone wants to wear one let them, if someone objects to wearing it then they should not wear it. Neither should be ridiculed for their stance. I don't wear one but accept a person's right to wear or not wear one. So what do you mean? Where did I object to anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I’d be in favour of sending most of the participants of threads like this to the front line.

• Advertisement

You've lost me. I objected to nothing. I said if someone wants to wear one let them, if someone objects to wearing it then they should not wear it. Neither should be ridiculed for their stance. I don't wear one but accept a person's right to wear or not wear one. So what do you mean? Where did I object to anything?

I don't. I object to someone Irish wearing one, because imo it is no longer about commemoration but glorification.
    I have every right to voice that.
    Stop being so subservient, that is what is required of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I’d be in favour of sending most of the participants of threads like this to the front line.

The BritIsh military machine were good at sending young men to their death on the front line. Perhaps you should sign up given you participated yourself.

Have you any opinion of your own on the poppy and what it represents to you? I agree everyone has a right to wear it or not but surely we can express a view why to most people on this Island it has a negative connotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,939 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'll say what I said last year.

I'm English, I used to wear a poppy but the poppy fascism, and even more importantly, the silence about it from the Royal British Legion has meant I no longer wear one.

I don't object to those wearing them, and think the British Legion do good for injured servicemen but unfortunately their inaction about bigotry means I won't be contributing to them again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I'll say what I said last year.

I'm English, I used to wear a poppy but the poppy fascism, and even more importantly, the silence about it from the Royal British Legion has meant I no longer wear one.

I don't object to those wearing them, and think the British Legion do good for injured servicemen but unfortunately their inaction about bigotry means I won't be contributing to them again.

I used not have a problem with it either, I actually thought it was quite a dignified and honourable thing to do.
    But as we can see on this thread, it has become a symbol of something else. A way to confront, demean and denigrate.

• Advertisement

Have you any opinion of your own on the poppy and what it represents to you? I agree everyone has a right to wear it or not but surely we can express a view why to most people on this Island it has a negative connotation.
    So what is the issue?No one is forcing it on you.

You said earlier you would wear one and not care. That is by definition 'forcing it' on others.

If I asked you to take off, would you?

Why have you an issue with Mr McClean not wearing it? And back it up by personally attacking him In a post by suggesting in your warped logic he is not good enough to wear it? Typical unionist superiority thinking.

You said earlier you would wear one and not care. That is by definition 'forcing it' on others.

This isn't the Soviet Union or some other Marxist hell hole Francie, If I want to wear it I will. That is my decision, it's not being forced upon you. What a ludicrous thing to say.

This isn't the Soviet Union or some other Marxist hell hole Francie, If I want to wear it I will. That is my decision, it's not being forced upon you. What a ludicrous thing to say.

It is being forced on footballers and media presenters. Are you telling us ALL of them wear one by choice?

It is being forced on footballers and media presenters. Are you telling us ALL of them wear one by choice?
    I don't know, I am in not charge of media protocols for studios. Most of them probably do wear it without a thought at all. Most people aren't mental enough to get into such a scuff about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

That you are evidently upset that people are apparently upset doesn't make you appear more rational, you know.

Furthermore, contending that a profoundly tribal symbol that commemorates/glorifies the deeds of the servants of the British Empire is harmless and apolitical is, at very best, disingenuous. It's an implicitly divisive commemoration no matter how much you might wish it were otherwise.

I doubt any of the poppy wearers would be as understanding of commemorations by supporters of the Red Army in Ukraine, the Wehrmacht in the USSR or the Chinese PLA in Tibet (to take three examples). But servants of the British Empire that controlled 25% of this planet? Oh, that should get a free pass on the same moral assessments entirely because the crimes were done by British soldiers.

As I said, we are a free country. A person in this country has a right to wear a poppy if they so choose to do so. A person also can decide not to wear one. Quite simple is it not?

Most people do not care either way. It is not acceptable that people demand others wear it as what has happened on the BBC but its also no acceptable that people get abused for wearing it, or poppy sellers getting attacked as has happened in the past here.

Attitudes like yours belong to the last century where more people gave a ****, but I am sure you think you are doing a great service educating us all on what the Brits did to us, but you are just coming across as a bigoted crank.

So, seeing someone on the street wearing one is having it forced on you?

If you see a Muslim woman wearing a burka, is that forcing Islam on you?

I don't know, I am in not charge of media protocols for studios. Most of them probably do wear it without a thought at all. Most people aren't mental enough to get into such a scuff about it.

Yes, that is what the new breed of wearer is hoping for.

You will wear one regardless if someone finds it offensive or not. Says all we need to know about this new breed.
    It isn't being worn with dignity in mind.
    And to think that a lot of this breed would find IRA memorabilia offensive.
    Hypocrisy writ large.

markodaly wrote: »

If you insist on wearing it after you are asked not to. That is 'forcing it' by definition.

Is the burka being worn to offend? I don't think so, but nice of you to introduce something completely unrelated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It represents nothing to me personally. Of course people can express a view. What I objected to was the vitriol I was subjected to because I respected both sides having their right to express an opinion. It was interpreted as condoning the wearing of a poppy and resulted in unfounded slurs towards me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

So what you're saying is it's MENTAL for McClean to not want to wear one, Do you believe he should wear one..?

Yes, that is what the new breed of wearer is hoping for.

You will wear one regardless if someone finds it offensive or not. Says all we need to know about this new breed.
    It isn't being worn with dignity in mind.
    And to think that a lot of this breed would find IRA memorabilia offensive.
    Hypocrisy writ large.
    That is laughable. I wear it to remember my ancestors, I am not going to stop doing so just because you hate it. As I said, it's a free country (or is supposed to be), learn to deal with it.

not yet wrote: »

So what you're saying is it's MENTAL for McClean to not want to wear one, Do you believe he should wear one..?
    Nope.

If you insist on wearing it after you are asked not to. That is 'forcing it' by definition.

Is the burka being worn to offend? I don't think so, but nice of you to introduce something completely unrelated.
    Who asked me not to wear it?

That is laughable. I wear it to remember my ancestors, I am not going to stop doing so just because you hate it. As I said, it's a free country (or is supposed to be), learn to deal with it.

Why the need to wear something to remember your ancestors?
    I remember mine quite adequately without wearing something publically. DOes it improve your memory or something?

It is a free country (Ireland) and I will continue to object to offensive displays.

You can tell how 'free' British society is by the way it reacts when someone doesn't want to wear a poppy.

Why the need to wear something to remember your ancestors?
    I remember mine quite adequately without wearing something publically. DOes it improve your memory or something?

It is a free country (Ireland) and I will continue to object to offensive displays.

You can tell how 'free' British society is by the way it reacts when someone doesn't want to wear a poppy.

*Hide* is basically what you saying. I am entitled to wear it, don't know how many more times this needs said. If you find it offensive that is not my problem, you take offense, you don't get given it. Leave me be to do what I want within the law, likewise I will with you.

*Hide* is basically what you saying. I am entitled to wear it, don't know how many more times this needs said. If you find it offensive that is not my problem, you take offense, you don't get given it. Leave me be to do what I want within the law, likewise I will with you.

And leave me be to object to you wearing it. Okie doke?

No it is not.

If someone asks you to stop dressing a certain way and you continue to do so, that is not forcing it on someone else, that is just telling the other person to mind their own ****ing business and stop telling others what to do.

If someone goes over to a Muslim woman and tells her to stop wearing a Burka, but ignores the crank, is that action then forcing the Burka on someone else.

Get real! If someone on the street tells you do something, you have no compulsion to comply. This is a Republic after all, is it not?

• Advertisement

No it is not.

If someone asks you to stop dressing a certain way and you continue to do so, that is not forcing it on someone else, that is just telling the other person to mind their own ****ing business and stop telling others what to do.

If someone goes over to a Muslim woman and tells her to stop wearing a Burka, but ignores the crank, is that action then forcing the Burka on someone else.

Get real! If someone on the street tells you do something, you have no compulsion to comply. This is a Republic after all, is it not?

What?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement