Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we over the annual poppy thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Looks like the question posed in the thread title has been well and truly answered

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What you are saying is if someone wears an Israeli pin or a Star of David and you find it offensive it means they are forcing it upon you. That is the core of the argument you are making which is as I said is preposterous.

If I tell them I find it offensive and they continue to wear it, they are forcing it on me.

It doesn't matter how much you try to re-write what I said, how many questions you refuse to go near, it isn't going to change the point ALP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

What you are saying is if someone wears an Israeli pin or a Star of David and you find it offensive it means they are forcing it upon you. That is the core of the argument you are making which is as I said is preposterous.

If I tell them I find it offensive and they continue to wear it, they are forcing it on me.

It doesn't matter how much you try to re-write what I said, how many questions you refuse to go near, it isn't going to change the point ALP.
    Which makes no logical sense. If someone walks into a shop you are in wearing a football top of a team you hate and you tell them that is offensive and they keep it on, the conclusion of your own argument is it is being forced upon you. It makes absolutely no sense unless you agree with an authoritarian state and think free thought and freedom of expression should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ah no. To be fair. You see a handful in Dublin, especially around remembrance weekend itself. But only a handful.

Which makes no logical sense. If someone walks into a shop you are in wearing a football top of a team you hate and you tell them that is offensive and they keep it on, the conclusion of your own argument is it is being forced upon you. It makes absolutely no sense unless you agree with an authoritarian state and think free thought and freedom of expression should be banned.

What would a newsreader who wears a swastika be told?
    What would they be doing if they continued to wear after being told people found it offensive?

It is a very simple concept.

• Advertisement

What would they be doing if they continued to wear after being told people found it offensive?

Answer the question, if the star of David offended you and you asked it to be removed and it wasn't would that mean it is being forced upon you. You keep coming out with false equivalencies.

Answer the question, if the star of David offended you and you asked it to be removed and it wasn't would that mean it is being forced upon you. You keep coming out with false equivalencies.

;) what is false equivalency about referring to another lapel symbol that people find offensive?

Yes the person wearing anything I told them I found offensive would be forcing me to look at it.

Could you answer the questions about a newsreader wearing a swastika now?

What would happen if a BBC reader wore one and after being requested to remove it, what would they 'be doing' if they insisted on wearing it? What would the BBC be forcing people viewing to do if they allowed it to be worn?

;) what is false equivalency about referring to another lapel symbol that people find offensive?

Yes the person wearing anything I told them I found offensive would be forcing me to look at it.

Could you answer the questions about a newsreader wearing a swastika now?

What would happen if a BBC reader wore one and after being requested to remove it, what would they 'be doing' if they insisted on wearing it? What would the BBC be forcing people viewing to do if they allowed it to be worn?

Very funny. Not only do you take offense but the person can also control your mind and make you look at him/her. The basics of the argument is from you that if it is offensive (to you) they are forcing it upon you. Something which holds no intellectual merit.

Very funny. Not only do you take offense but the person can also control your mind and make you look at him/her. The basics of the argument is from you that if it is offensive (to you) they are forcing it upon you. Something which holds no intellectual merit.

Yet you won't answer the question because you know what the answer will confirm.

Yet you won't answer the question because you know what the answer will confirm.
    I did answer it, people wearing symbols doesn't effect me and it's certainly not being forced upon me. I have a mind of my own and I watch what I want to watch. If I disagree with something and can avoid listening to them, that is what I do. 

I'm not one for these protests who whine about something being 'offensive' when I have the choice to take offense and don't have to take any notice of it.

• Advertisement

I did answer it, people wearing symbols doesn't effect me and it's certainly not being forced upon me. I have a mind of my own and I watch what I want to watch. If I disagree with something and can avoid listening to them, that is what I do. 

I'm not one for these protests who whine about something being 'offensive' when I have the choice to take offense and don't have to take any notice of it.

I didn't ask about 'your' reaction, which in this instance is self serving for the purposes of ranting about my opinion..

Here are the questions again. Try again.

I didn't ask about 'your' reaction, which in this instance is self serving for the purposes of ranting about my opinion..

Here are the questions again. Try again.
    They wouldn't be forcing the viewers to do anything, those viewers are human beings, they have brains and can decide to watch or not. I detest the BBC personally, if you don't like a certain presenter on a radio show or a TV show, don't watch it. If the person wants to be a dickhead, crack on.

They wouldn't be forcing the viewers to do anything, those viewers are human beings, they have brains and can decide to watch or not. I detest the BBC personally, if you don't like a certain presenter on a radio show or a TV show, don't watch it. If the person wants to be a dickhead, crack on.

Why are you refusing to answer the question?

Here it is again.

Why are you refusing to answer the question?

Here it is again.
    I did just answer it, look above you.

No you didn't, you prescribed a solution for the viewer.
    You didn't say what would happen if somebody wore one. Nor did you say what the BBC would be doing by allowing it to be worn after objections.

No you didn't, you prescribed a solution for the viewer.
    You didn't say what would happen if somebody wore one. Nor did you say what the BBC would be doing by allowing it to be worn after objections.
    The BBC wouldn't be doing anything, viewers won't watch, simple as that. It's not difficult to figure out what viewers would do if a Nazi sign was on a main news channel.

The BBC wouldn't be doing anything, viewers won't watch, simple as that. It's not difficult to figure out what viewers would do if a Nazi sign was on a main news channel.

You do some ducking to avoid accepting something obvious. I'll give you that. I'll let the thread readers make their own assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

There is no argument about displaying the swastika.
    There is an argument about wearing a poppy - that's why this debate happens every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

You will never get a balanced discussion on British history on an Irish forum when there are still people around with a massive chip on their shoulder because bad things were done by someone's long-dead grandfather to someone else's long-dead grandfather, in events that took place long before any of the protagonists were born.

Where is poll option three, that this thread is one great big

27F0CAA600000578-0-image-a-4_1453304513554.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

shaunr68 wrote: »

Where is poll option three, that this thread is one great big

27F0CAA600000578-0-image-a-4_1453304513554.jpg

Leave donald trump outta this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Leave donald trump outta this :pac:

You'd probably get more sense out of the Donald - much as it pains me to even think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I am still puzzled to why FrancieBrady thinks that seeing a Poppy on a street is somehow forcing it on him.

markodaly wrote: »
    I am still puzzled to why FrancieBrady thinks that seeing a Poppy on a street is somehow forcing it on him.

Why are you still puzzled by something I didn't say? It must be misquote Francie day around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Why are you still puzzled by something I didn't say? It must be misquote Francie day around here.

Isnt that what you said? Or sorry, first you would politely ask them to remove it, then if they refused you would say that its being forced on you. Still utterly crazy but there you have it.

Isnt that what you said? Or sorry, first you would politely ask them to remove it, then if they refused you would say that its being forced on you. Still utterly crazy but there you have it.

I suppose I should be glad you eventually read or half read the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You do some ducking to avoid accepting something obvious. I'll give you that. I'll let the thread readers make their own assessment.

Here's my assessment, you're very precious if you think someone wearing what they want to wear is forcing anything on you. You can take offence all you want, but that's very much on you.

I'm still puzzled as to why you think that wearing a 'Fúck you' symbol to the (definitely not commemorated in Britain) victims of the British Empire is acceptable in civilised society.

Omackeral wrote: »
    you're very precious if you think someone wearing what they want to wear is forcing anything on you. You can take offence all you want, but that's very much on you.

Great. Neo Nazis take note for your next trip to Israel.

Oh...but...but it is the kind, humanitarian and gentle British Empire which selflessly civilised the planet that we commemorate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Jeeeeez......one can only wonder what the permanently outraged must make of a crucifix, a crescent, a Star of David, a US flag lapel pin, a hammer & sickle, stars and the Rising Sun.....when a flower causes them so much angst :rolleyes:

I assume given the record of the French and Belgian empires they're similarly outraged by cornflowers (the bleuet de France) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Great. Neo Nazis take note for your next trip to Israel.

Nazis in Israel. Okay.
    Oh...but...but it is the kind, humanitarian and gentle British Empire which selflessly civilised the planet that we commemorate!

Don't think anyone is describing the British Empire as such but anyway you do know you can just ignore the poppy if you see it being worn by someone over here? It's not gonna be widespread by any means. I think I've probably only ever noticed 3 people ever in person wearing it. You'd almost have to look for it. Now if you're offended or repulsed by it on Sky TV or the Beeb, maybe don't watch British channels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement