Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we over the annual poppy thread?

Options
  • 29-10-2017 8:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Do we need it anymore, is it time to allow Irish people to wear whatever they want?

edit... poll added

Are we over the annual poppy thread? 147 votes

Yes get over it we've moved on.
    0% 0 votes
    No its worthwhile exploring again.
    100% 147 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Seems not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm sure the usual suspects will be along with the usual rants to re-educate you.

I think there might be scope for a bit of an ol' drinking game......each post that mentions 'butcher' 'colonial/colony' 'traitor' 'foreign war' etc take a sip of tea.....

......dunk a digestive when any of the jackpot words are mentioned 'shoneen' 'cringe'

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Jawgap wrote: »
    I'm sure the usual suspects will be along with the usual rants to re-educate you.

I think there might be scope for a bit of an ol' drinking game......each post that mentions 'butcher' 'colonial/colony' 'traitor' 'foreign war' etc take a sip of tea.....

......dunk a digestive when any of the jackpot words are mentioned 'shoneen' 'cringe'

Classic West-Brit post, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Do we need it anymore, is it time to allow Irish people to wear whatever they want?

Well since you brought it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Whats wrong with Poppy? Let her wear what she wants to wear, only fashion.

chanel_croisi_re_2012_697698328_north_400x_white.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

RayM wrote: »

You're not a real west-Brit until you're well versed with the page below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forms_of_address_in_the_United_Kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's just ironic to read the same old same old anti anything Irish republican related, spout on about "murderers" this and "killers" that, and see them circle jerk English related conflicts (Falklands war, ww1 or 2) and these poppy related threads like the English war machines shyte don't stinkof shyte.

Try not to involve myself in either or btw, but I can spot the hypocritical crap a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hopefully November will pass this year without the Brit media tearing into James McClean just because he doesn't want to wear something they think he should because he plays for an English club.

Thanks from: LordSutch

hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hopefully November will pass this year without the Brit media tearing into James McClean just because he doesn't want to wear something they think he should because he plays for an English club.

It's a complete joke that footballers are wheeled out wearing what is a political emblem. Let politicians wear them if they so wish. If you look at the majority of normal folk living in the U.K. most of them don't wear it anyway.

McClean is atypical of a professional footballer and has a mind of his own. Anyone who disputes his right not to wear it is either clueless as to his background or a fascist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's the story with all theses flying ants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ah the poppy thread, where one side gives out about the other, blissfully unaware they are both equally in need of a good hobby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

If wearing the Poppy symbolises Britain’s armed struggles and the people who fought and died (in most of these Britain was the aggressor) then Angela Merkel should wear a Swastika.

RayM wrote: »

Damn.

West Brit......forgot to add that to the Poppy Thread Bingo......defo should be a bonus.

Thanks for the re-education.

It's a complete joke that footballers are wheeled out wearing what is a political emblem. Let politicians wear them if they so wish. If you look at the majority of normal folk living in the U.K. most of them don't wear it anyway.

McClean is atypical of a professional footballer and has a mind of his own. Anyone who disputes his right not to wear it is either clueless as to his background or a fascist.

Isn't he making quite a lot of money playing a "garrison sport" for a club with Albion in its name??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just realised recently that if Cromwell never came here neither would my family. Thank you so much oliver for gifting me the life I have here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,643 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ha ha, the usual apologists getting their shots off first this year I see.
    A pre-emptive strike so to speak, jolly good, carry on.

Isn't he making quite a lot of money playing a "garrison sport" for a club with Albion in its name??

Not sure they would call it a ‘garrison sport’ in England tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Relevant to the wearing/not wearing of a poppy how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Revelence being??

I've relatives and friends working in England. ...should they be forced to wear the poppy aswell??

Should English and British leaning people in the free state be forced to wear the lily?

>>of course not...such a suggestion is moronic

• Advertisement

He earns a living playing a world popular sport where most Irish players play. He is not a political figure but a football player who doesn't follow what other sheep do. Just because you work for someone doesn't mean you somehow transform into taking on their views in everything though of course the wearing of the poppy is not an individual club decision. Anyway McClean has said his difficulty is not with English/British people but the obvious military attachment to the poppy.

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Relevant to the wearing/not wearing of a poppy how?

Just point out the inconsistencies in the notion that there's some kind of principled stand at play......

......don't get me wrong, no one should be compelled, judged of scorned for opting to wear or not wear any symbol......it should be a matter of choice guided by one's conscience.

But I just wonder at why the mouth breathers laud McLean's stand so much when he's playing a foreign sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Just point out the inconsistencies in the notion that there's some kind of principled stand at play......

......don't get me wrong, no one should be compelled, judged of scorned for opting to wear or not wear any symbol......it should be a matter of choice guided by one's conscience.

But I just wonder at why the mouth breathers laud McLean's stand so much when he's playing a foreign sport?

Why are you trying to connect his stance and support for his position as to whether a sport is ‘foreign’ or not. (Are certain sports ‘foreign’???).

Why are you trying to connect his stance and support for his position as to whether a sport is ‘foreign’ or not. (Are certain sports ‘foreign’???).

Sports in Ireland has long moved on from the 'foreign sports' days particularly down south anyway. A young lad here can have his pick from gaa, soccer, rugby, golf or whatever he/she chooses. The opening of gaa grounds and maybe rugby World Cup 2023 In gaa stadium has dismissed that notion to a very small minority.

Sports in Ireland has long moved on from the 'foreign sports' days particularly down south anyway. A young lad here can have his pick from gaa, soccer, rugby, golf or whatever he/she chooses. The opening of gaa grounds and maybe rugby World Cup 2023 In gaa stadium has dismissed that notion to a very small minority.

.....amply demonstrating that most of us can get on and get past history - remembering it, doesn't mean being bound by it.

If people want to wear a poppy or a lilly or a fuschia let them.....likewise if they want to forego wearing any such symbols of contributing to the organisations behind them, eaqualky, let them.

Well, I'm not......but if you want to read an intention that doesn't exist into anything I type I can't really stop you......so away you go......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I'm pretty sure I wore one while I was working in England, not that I put a lot of thought into it but I imagine they are worn as a reminder as to the sacrifices made and suffering endured in the wars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The way the press treated McClean was disgraceful, he seems like he has a genuinely great heart
    Republic of Ireland star James McClean made the dreams come true of a team of children with Down's Syndrome after he joined them for a football match in his hometown.

The Oxford Bulls team meet every Sunday at the Foyle Futsal Centre and they just love football.

However, the team had struggled to find another team to play against since forming in October 2015 with the help of the Foyle Down's Syndrome Trust.

The story of the team's quest for another side to against was highlighted in the Belfast Telegraph and after that the offers came flooding in -including one very special one

Premiere league footballer James McClean contacted the team to see if he could bring some players along for a match.

The team's manager Kevin Morrison initially thought it was a wind-up from a fake account.

The message read: "I'm playing a match on Tuesday night, I'll be back in Derry at lunchtime on Wednesday - how does that sound?'"

And true to his word the West Brom winger joined them at the city's indoor football centre.

The session finished with a penalty shoot-out with McClean going into nets - but he was no match for the Oxford Bulls as they all scored past him.

Kevin said: "He (McClean) had a fantastic attitude and they loved him for it.

"The lads had a ball and James was an absolute gentleman, we couldn't believe our luck."

• Advertisement

.....amply demonstrating that most of us can get on and get past history - remembering it, doesn't mean being bound by it.

If people want to wear a poppy or a lilly or a fuschia let them.....likewise if they want to forego wearing any such symbols of contributing to the organisations behind them, eaqualky, let them.

Agreed. But i remain puzzled as to why you would therefore raise the notion of him playing what you called a ‘foreign sport’ and then conflating it re McClean and his stance on the poppy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement