Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we over the annual poppy thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the butcher's flower has no place in this country. anyone who wears it insults the republic.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not the first to refer to him in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hmmm, you wanted to explore the depth of James McClean’s convictions earlier. Why do it in AH?

Ah, you know it's a bank holiday weekend and I'm stuck working......AH is what it is, a time sink diversion from work and responsibilities. I figured it would kill an hour.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Ah, you know it's a bank holiday weekend and I'm stuck working......AH is what it is, a time sink diversion from work and responsibilities. I figured it would kill an hour.

Ok then. Do you think what McClean has said re the poppy, the BA, Derry and Bloody Sunday etc has lessened his convictions about these episodes in your eyes because he plays soccer?

Ok then. Do you think what McClean has said re the poppy, the BA, Derry and Bloody Sunday etc has lessened his convictions about these episodes in your eyes because he plays soccer?

How would I know what his convictions are?

He wouldn't be the first person in history to not have their rhetoric be representative of their honestly held beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Wear what you want, I'm not the one obsessed with whining about it, every single year. Some people seem obsessed with it.

Great. I look forward to you maintaining that "wear what you like" position if a group wearing IRA t-shirts decide to walk up and down the Shankill Road. No provocation there.

Wearing the British poppy in Ireland, India or any of the other former colonies/remnants of colonies is a straight up fúck you rubbing in the face from the remnants of the British colonial and settler-colonial community across the world to the indigenous communities which its Empire robbed/dispossessed/ brutalised/ subjugated/dehumanised/culturally raped generation after generation. Absolutely nothing else but a supremacist glorification of colonial dominance/a fúck you to its victims. And we all know it.

So, go on and wear your poppy glorification of the violence and subjugation by the British Empire, but don't be surprised if we laugh you out of it when you suddenly get moral about the natives using violence for their mad political aims like freedom, democracy, justice and the like.
    You can say this all you like, the question is what are you going to do about it? You can't beat me out of not wearing it. I'll wear it if I want along with thousands of others in NI and throughout the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You can say this all you like, the question is what are you going to do about it? You can't beat me out of not wearing it. I'll wear it if I want along with thousands of others in NI and throughout the island.

Of course you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There's still very few in Ireland. I'd say it's in the hundreds, if even that. Earlier it was being claimed it was in the hundreds of thousands :D[/quote]
    The hundreds of thousands of Unionists in NI, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Wear mine with pride who served our country and will continue to do so. Don't care if it offends people.

you live in ireland. the british army didn't serve but upheld empire, slaughtered and fitted up, left right and centre.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

How would I know what his convictions are?

He wouldn't be the first person in history to not have their rhetoric be representative of their honestly held beliefs.

You don’t know but decide to take a guess anyway. The guy takes a stance on an issue and sticks to it despite much criticism and abuse. In comes you with the loaded remark re him playing a ‘foreign game’. You’ve been ducking the question all afternoon about why this should be related to the issue of McClean and the poppy.

What?
    I am in the north most days and I would dispute that figure. They may buy them but there isn't 100's of thousands wearing them, unless they are all in Antrim.

You don’t know but decide to take a guess anyway. The guy takes a stance on an issue and sticks to it despite much criticism and abuse. In comes you with the loaded remark re him playing a ‘foreign game’. You’ve been ducking the question all afternoon about why this should be related to the issue of McClean and the poppy.

Perhaps direct that question to the person who "invited" McLean into this game of bingo.....
    Hopefully November will pass this year without the Brit media tearing into James McClean just because he doesn't want to wear something they think he should because he plays for an English club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I have never seen one here in the south, and frankly, I Hope I never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I dunno, I guess this is a thread about the poppy thread so doesn't actually count as the poppy thread?
    But then people are already discussing like it is the poppy thread.

But does that make it the poppy thread? Is it the intent of the OP that defines it as the poppy thread? Were this a discussion on the mating habits of peruvian rodents that became a discussion on the poppy would it count as the poppy thread?

Or is any thread with the potential to become a discussion on the wearing of the poppy a poppy thread. If that's so then isnt every thread the poppy thread.
    Are we all just posting here in the anticipation of the poppy thread coming to being? Is that why after hours exists? To discuss the poppy every November? Like Santa waiting making toys and remaining dormant for just that one brief moment every year that defines his existence and purpose? Are we together as a whole just the collective conscious of the poppy thread?

I need to lie down....

“If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
    Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs
    Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
    Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues
    My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory
    The old Lie:
    Dulce et decorum est
    Pro partia mori.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I don't think it should be allowed for sports teams either, how the argie players and managers wear them is beyond me

Perhaps direct that question to the person who "invited" McLean into this game of bingo.....

Well tbf Jawgap you did make the following remarks which imo were worthy of exploration:
    Isn't he making quite a lot of money playing a "garrison sport" for a club with Albion in its name??

But I just wonder at why the mouth breathers laud McLean's stand so much when he's playing a foreign sport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

HOUSE!!!

Around these parts, we shout CHECK!

Shouting HOUSE means you are a West Brit.

Not your ornery onager

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I don't think it should be allowed for sports teams either, how the argie players and managers wear them is beyond me

Absolutely correct. It is only a recent thing on soccer jerseys. The poppy wearing thing got a big PR boost just as Britain starts it last decline from empire to ordinary small country. They (the sad clinger's on to imperialist glory) will insist on wearing it for a few years yet as we can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I also thought that the wearing of the poppy was to remember those soldiers who gave their lives in battle and that for most people would be an individual thing honouring their relatives. I used to wear one when I lived in London as a way of remembering my great grandfather and my grandfather both of whom fought in WWI and while neither of them died in battle, they both died earlier than they should because of ill-health directly due to their four years service in the army, mainly on battlefields.

Well tbf Jawgap you did make the following remarks which imo were worthy of exploration:

Indeed. But in response to someone else.

Feel free to explore away.

Indeed. But in response to someone else.

Feel free to explore away.

I think i’ll take a raincheck. Recorded MOTD last night. Have yet to watch it.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Esel wrote: »
    Around these parts, we shout CHECK!

Shouting HOUSE means you are a West Brit.

Uno!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

somefeen wrote: »
    I dunno, I guess this is a thread about the poppy thread so doesn't actually count as the poppy thread?
    But then people are already discussing like it is the poppy thread.

But does that make it the poppy thread? Is it the intent of the OP that defines it as the poppy thread? Were this a discussion on the mating habits of peruvian rodents that became a discussion on the poppy would it count as the poppy thread?

Or is any thread with the potential to become a discussion on the wearing of the poppy a poppy thread. If that's so then isnt every thread the poppy thread.
    Are we all just posting here in the anticipation of the poppy thread coming to being? Is that why after hours exists? To discuss the poppy every November? Like Santa waiting making toys and remaining dormant for just that one brief moment every year that defines his existence and purpose? Are we together as a whole just the collective conscious of the poppy thread?

I need to lie down....

OP here... my intentions....!
    Ahhh! Just to gauge if it's still a thing... or has it moved to a Facebook sleeve thing... jesuisunpoppy

Should a done a poll to frame the topic better.

Can I add a poll mods?

I think i’ll take a raincheck. Recorded MOTD last night. Have yet to watch it.... :p

Methinks the learned gentleman pretends not to care, too much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

#poppyfascism

• Advertisement

What?
    I am in the north most days and I would dispute that figure. They may buy them but there isn't 100's of thousands wearing them, unless they are all in Antrim.
    Over 30+ million are made a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement